• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2024 - The European Football Championship

He was giving his opinion about and discussing his views. You state who cares about anything besides the fact that England are in the final.
If all anyone should care about is whether you're in the final or not there's not much for discussion.

Right but that's still discussion about football. You're in the final of a football tournament, the performances that came before it are irrelevant now. Hence "who cares."

Last edited:
A great discussion, let's forget about performances and the discussion amounts to "Yay, we're in the final".

I mean...yeah, why not? You're like the other guy who went too deep on the Southgate criticism to enjoy what he's given you. Another chance to win the contintenal tournament.

Probably one of the most Irish things I've ever read.

As a youngster most of my mates were Irish or their parents were and we use to go to the Irish Club in Camden Town, but my best mates Dad wouldn't go there as it was full of Eejits and he disliked being associated with the "drunken paddys" which were around the area in the 50/60's. None of my mates see themselves as Irish or have any affection for Ireland, quite a few have bad memories of being taken back for their summer holidays.

I mean...yeah, why not? You're like the other guy who went too deep on the Southgate criticism to enjoy what he's given you. Another chance to win the contintenal tournament.
Southgate hasn't given me anything and definitely not a chance to win a tournament, would take a miracle worker far above Southgate for that.

Uh I was just referring to what he said
Either teams are good or they are not
Yesterday was the first time Southgate has beaten a team ranked in the top 10 in any tournament game
Think you're being harsh by saying he hasn't beaten decent teams. Colombia and Sweden were decent teams in 2018. Denmark and Ukraine were decent teams in 2021. Senegal were a decent side in 2022. They're all decent teams.

Germany and Netherlands are good teams that he's beaten.

Southgate's knockout record is very good especially relative to other managers. Yeah, the draws have been favourable but it's not like he's gotten San Marino and Luxembourg in them.

Probably be the same team again, maybe Shaw for Trippier but I'd like Palmer to get a start. He's looked really good so far, maybe its been easier coming fresh of the bench but I'd swap him for Saka.

Think you're being harsh by saying he hasn't beaten decent teams. Colombia and Sweden were decent teams in 2018. Denmark and Ukraine were decent teams in 2021. Senegal were a decent side in 2022. They're all decent teams.

Germany and Netherlands are good teams that he's beaten.

Southgate's knockout record is very good especially relative to other managers. Yeah, the draws have been favourable but it's not like he's gotten San Marino and Luxembourg in them.
I’m talking world rankings
I think he is a poor manager but he has done well
But the facts are that yesterday was the first time he has beaten a top 10 side in a knock out game
He should get credit for that
But he has been super fortunate with the teams he has had to play

But the facts are that yesterday was the first time he has beaten a top 10 side in a knock out game

Germany must have been top 10 in 2018?

It’s Germany.

As a youngster most of my mates were Irish or their parents were and we use to go to the Irish Club in Camden Town, but my best mates Dad wouldn't go there as it was full of Eejits and he disliked being associated with the "drunken paddys" which were around the area in the 50/60's. None of my mates see themselves as Irish or have any affection for Ireland, quite a few have bad memories of being taken back for their summer holidays.
Three of four of my grandparents were Irish, although I never met them, they were all dead before I was born.
My mum and dad and I went back to were my grandad came from in the late 70s and it was really good. Met some of my mums family and I've said I'd love to go back.
We don't keep in touch with the family, which is a shame, but I'd love to see it again.

Why do you need an asterix? fudge me you’re all so miserable. Is it the weather? You’ve just made the Euro final (again) and you’re all still looking for reasons to not enjoy it.

If Spurs made a final without playing well, I'd be over the moon. Because that's what a tournament is...survive as long as you can.

Southgates going, performances haven't mattered. For some reason you got caught up in the nonsense critcism of Southgate and now you're having to unravel yourself from that in order to enjoy it.

No that’s you putting your own narrative onto others. You’re an expert on what the English enjoy 😂 Every Englishman is enjoying the rollercoaster ride.

On a football forum we’re ‘critical’ in both a positive and negative sense. It doesn’t fit your tired point and it’s you that probably needs to “unravel” and get over trying to prove your oversimplified point which we all got pages and pages ago 😭

No that’s you putting your own narrative onto others. You’re an expert on what the English enjoy 😂 Every Englishman is enjoying the rollercoaster ride.

On a football forum we’re ‘critical’ in both a positive and negative sense. It doesn’t fit your tired point and it’s you that probably needs to “unravel” and get over trying to prove your oversimplified point which we all got pages and pages ago 😭

No, you obviously haven’t understood anything because you said I can’t think Southgate isn’t a great manager and also that he deserves more respect.

Either @tommysvr is bored or s/he thinks Southgate is the football managing messiah. Or maybe they’re Southgate’s mum 😂

Like I said last time…it’s really not that difficult, you’re just making it that way. Let’s try and make it a bit easier for you.

What I don’t think he’s good at:
Tactically poor. Dull football. Seems to just throw stuff and see what sticks. Guilty of playing a system to suit players, rather than the other way around.

What I do think he’s good at:
Motivation, building a positive environment, getting the best out of players individually. And most of all: he’s one of the most emotionally intelligent people in football. That one thing explains the other positives, and explains how he’s been able to turn England around since he took over. And how he managed to galvanise this team whilst the rest of the country slagged them all off.

Like I said last time…it’s really not that difficult, you’re just making it that way. Let’s try and make it a bit easier for you.

What I don’t think he’s good at:
Tactically poor. Dull football. Seems to just throw stuff and see what sticks. Guilty of playing a system to suit players, rather than the other way around.

What I do think he’s good at:
Motivation, building a positive environment, getting the best out of players individually. And most of all: he’s one of the most emotionally intelligent people in football. That one thing explains the other positives, and explains how he’s been able to turn England around since he took over. And how he managed to galvanise this team whilst the rest of the country slagged them all off.

What are you basing this second bit on?

The performances after half time have been limp going all the way back to the last euros final - where we were leading going into the break.

I don’t see the master psychologist myself. The greats of management preemptively act. Knowing that Italy or the Dutch will react after HT, and they pull even more out the team.

We played fantastic football first half. Passing speed, movement and press were next level. Second half was instantly lacking.

We have a chance in the final, being underdogs should help us raise our game.

If you tackle someone late, outside the penalty area, it's a free kick every time. Why shouldn't it be inside the area?
I mentioned that earlier....there's endless examples of a player being cut in half 'after the shot'...yet nothing. When the exact same action after toeing it past an opponent in midfield would get them a yellow card all day.

Heavy physical contact (not saying last night's was this) should be viewed the same no matter what.

Back