• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2024 - The European Football Championship

Southgate has gotten ridiculous abuse in this tournament and generally. He’s got a brilliant record as England manager. And I’m not being Captain Hindsight here, I’ve said it consistently. He’s gotten to two finals, a semi and a quarter in 4 tournaments. He wins this and he’s arguably England’s greatest manager.

I don’t think he’s a great manager, I wouldn’t want him at Spurs but he’s done a great job.

Not even up for debate whether he's the best England manager - there's no argument to be made against it from what I can see...

So what your saying is that Southgate has never been any decent team in a knock out
Well, take Venables and Robson who are usually touted as the next best England managers after Ramsey.

Across 4 tournaments, they beat Paraguay, Cameroon and Belgium in knockout football. They needed extra time in two of those. You could maybe throw in Spain in 96 but that was on penalties (and you were very fortunate to get to the shoot out). Paraguay were the only team either manager beat in the knockouts in 90 mins.

England have never been very good at tournament football. Whatever anyone thinks about Southgate, he’s gotten to a semi, a quarter and two finals in 8 years. That’s a hell of a record for a country who only reached one final and three semis in the 66 years before he got the job.

And Southgate beat Germany last time out didn’t he and Netherlands tonight. No other manager has beaten teams of that pedigree in the knockout stages aside from Ramsey on home soil.

Last edited:
Well, take Venables and Robson who are usually touted as the next best England managers after Ramsey.

Across 4 tournaments, they beat Paraguay, Cameroon and Belgium in knockout football. They needed extra time in two of those. You could maybe throw in Spain in 96 but that was on penalties (and you were very fortunate to get to the shoot out). Paraguay were the only team either manager beat in the knockouts in 90 mins.

England have never been very good at tournament football. Whatever anyone thinks about Southgate, he’s gotten to a semi, a quarter and two finals in 8 years. That’s a hell of a record for a country who only reached one final and three semis in the 66 years before he got the job.

And Southgate beat Germany last time out didn’t he and Netherlands tonight. No other manager has beaten teams of that pedigree in the knockout stages aside from Ramsey on home soil.

did we get to three semis before Gareth?

Or do you include ‘66?

That's really interesting... When I say interesting, I mean complete bollox ....

The Maradona/being Ireland supporters bit is in here (or possibly Part 2): https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...gallagher-part-1/id1478646530?i=1000529275768

I think we have much better players than previous England managers have had - at least in my lifetime.

There are weaknesses in the England side, but the technical ability of our players is far higher now than it was.

—-
Southgate is a decent manager but his HT work hasn’t been good enough imo. Great managers anticipate and ensure a better side pushes home the advantage. Again today, second half we lost momentum and let Nederlands fight back. A better manager anticipates the Dutch fight back, readies his side to step up and put the game away. We were a little lucky to hold out and late with subs. It was excruciating watching for 5-10 mins as we didn’t have energy left, subs were late, and the Dutch were creating openings. Southgate moved too slowly with the subs but we held out.

—-

I thought Mainoo was exceptional first half. Foden, Bellingham, Walker excellent. I find Pickford a liability. And not a great shop stopper either - most elite keepers would expect to get a hand to the Dutch goal and prevent it. Much prefer the goon reject personally (Ramsdale).

Playing Tripper at LB just baffles. If we have to play a full back out of position, surely TA Arnold is the most skilled? Odd decision from Southgate that he persists with despite Tripper offering very little in every game.

But it was awesome to see the side moving the ball around with pace first half. To see some better movement and tempo. It’s come later but credit to Southgate here. Begs the question why were England not prepped and ready to pass, move and press from the beginning of the tournament? The Spain performance no doubt inspired a little too - seeing how it should be done. But credit where it’s due, it was a marked improvement.

I think we have much better players than previous England managers have had - at least in my lifetime.

There are weaknesses in the England side, but the technical ability of our players is far higher now than it was.

—-
Southgate is a decent manager but his HT work hasn’t been good enough imo. Great managers anticipate and ensure a better side pushes home the advantage. Again today, second half we lost momentum and let Nederlands fight back. A better manager anticipates the Dutch fight back, readies his side to step up and put the game away. We were a little lucky to hold out and late with subs. It was excruciating watching for 5-10 mins as we didn’t have energy left, subs were late, and the Dutch were creating openings. Southgate moved too slowly with the subs but we held out.

—-

I thought Mainoo was exceptional first half. Foden, Bellingham, Walker excellent. I find Pickford a liability. And not a great shop stopper either - most elite keepers would expect to get a hand to the Dutch goal and prevent it. Much prefer the goon reject personally (Ramsdale).

Playing Tripper at LB just baffles. If we have to play a full back out of position, surely TA Arnold is the most skilled? Odd decision from Southgate that he persists with despite Tripper offering very little in every game.

But it was awesome to see the side moving the ball around with pace first half. To see some better movement and tempo. It’s come later but credit to Southgate here. Begs the question why were England not prepped and ready to pass, move and press from the beginning of the tournament? The Spain performance no doubt inspired a little too - seeing how it should be done. But credit where it’s due, it was a marked improvement.

You're in the final (again.) Who cares about the rest? Southgate will be gone after the final anyway.

Well done England.
Pity that wasn't the final, would have been good to see either England or the Dutch win a tournament again.
Not that I'm saying that can't or won't beat Spain.
Two countries that I have a soft spot for football wise and really should have won more.

You're in the final (again.) Who cares about the rest? Southgate will be gone after the final anyway.

You’re obviously fixated on this one. Not able to see the wood for the trees. Anyone who watches and knows anything about football can observe the detail and understand it, apart from you it seems. I’d guess you’re not watching England games as you would a Spurs game, so don’t really see the detail. Just making obvious statements, as though no one noticed we were in the final 😅😂

You’re obviously fixated on this one. Not able to see the wood for the trees. Anyone who watches and knows anything about football can observe the detail and understand it, apart from you it seems. I’d guess you’re not watching England games as you would a Spurs game, so don’t really see the detail. Just making obvious statements, as though no one noticed we were in the final 😅😂

If Spurs made a final without playing well, I'd be over the moon. Because that's what a tournament is...survive as long as you can.

Southgates going, performances haven't mattered. For some reason you got caught up in the nonsense critcism of Southgate and now you're having to unravel yourself from that in order to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Uh I was just referring to what he said
Either teams are good or they are not
Yesterday was the first time Southgate has beaten a team ranked in the top 10 in any tournament game

Genuinely don't know what you mean by that? Is it some sort of tinkle take or joke?
He was giving his opinion about and discussing his views. You state who cares about anything besides the fact that England are in the final.
If all anyone should care about is whether you're in the final or not there's not much for discussion.

Back