• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

I believe that may well be the idea in keeping Mason and Matt wells here
But that succession planning is something I don’t think any club has really managed

Yeh only a handful IMO have ever done that well, Liverpool seemed to have done that this time, Brighton now seem to be able to do it well, the rest is a mess.

I suspect its on Munn to make this all work and have the plan he promised when he joined about all decisions being joint up. I know its not popular to be positive about us and more on others, but IMO, especially with how we have been tactical in market and the Youth now seemingly having a route to the side, its so far so good

Yeh only a handful IMO have ever done that well, Liverpool seemed to have done that this time, Brighton now seem to be able to do it well, the rest is a mess.

I suspect its on Munn to make this all work and have the plan he promised when he joined about all decisions being joint up. I know its not popular to be positive about us and more on others, but IMO, especially with how we have been tactical in market and the Youth now seemingly having a route to the side, its so far so good
There seems to be a plan
And we seem to be using the plan

pl-net-spends-postecoglou-1723452512-144864.png

Obviously we've had a lot more work to do than some of the others but it shows what we are capable of spending now, also encouraging considering there's been no CL football over this period
Absolutely. And combine that with a very solid strategy of focusing on younger players, what seems like very good talent ID including some yonger players that didn't cost much and a lot of talent in the academy and it really should set us up really well for the coming years.

Getting the mix right with also fixing problems more quickly with players like Solanke will probably determine our shorter term success more. But to me we seem to be doing a really good job with that too.

Absolutely. And combine that with a very solid strategy of focusing on younger players, what seems like very good talent ID including some yonger players that didn't cost much and a lot of talent in the academy and it really should set us up really well for the coming years.

Getting the mix right with also fixing problems more quickly with players like Solanke will probably determine our shorter term success more. But to me we seem to be doing a really good job with that too.
I think it’s a year away before we see the full fruition of the last 3 years work
Just need to stick with the plan

I think it’s a year away before we see the full fruition of the last 3 years work
Just need to stick with the plan

And there in lies the challenge

- The club is a good place, income is growing, spend is competitive within reason, got over the unstable period (that was always likely post Poch), amazing job of finally doing squad change and back to a strategy largely around promising youth
- If we had changed owners 3 years ago, people would be raving, but because we haven't, the feeling of we have been here before and didn't push on is close

From my perspective
- There should be a conversation with Ange that a trophy/any trophy is a priority, we should be willing to take 5th/6th over CL if it gets us a trophy this year
- There is some clear acknowledgement from Levy/ENIC with the additional investors that to push on, we need a cash injection beyond what current revenue brings.

And there in lies the challenge

- The club is a good place, income is growing, spend is competitive within reason, got over the unstable period (that was always likely post Poch), amazing job of finally doing squad change and back to a strategy largely around promising youth
- If we had changed owners 3 years ago, people would be raving, but because we haven't, the feeling of we have been here before and didn't push on is close

From my perspective
- There should be a conversation with Ange that a trophy/any trophy is a priority, we should be willing to take 5th/6th over CL if it gets us a trophy this year
- There is some clear acknowledgement from Levy/ENIC with the additional investors that to push on, we need a cash injection beyond what current revenue brings.
I genuinely understand people’s desire to see us lift silverware again. It’s not my absolute priority though, a trophy at all costs i.e. the Mourinho approach to success. It’s far more important to enjoy ‘the journey’ and if a cup comes as a result of a brilliant journey, then so much the better. It will taste all the sweeter for it.

My question to you would be how does the point around taking 5/6th over CL manifest in reality, given there are no certainties in football and success in cups, at least in my opinion, are largely down to things outside of your control? Do you mean playing a second string in a league game that could be pivotal in getting a Champions League place vs playing a first eleven in a cup semi / final the following weekend?

I get that view, just one thing doesn’t guarantee the other. It may give you a better chance though.

However, if it’s a view that we can simply choose to win a cup by ‘prioritising’ it - which I don’t think is what you’re suggesting, but I feel a lot on here buy into this kind of magical thinking - then I can’t get on board with it as I just don’t think football works like that.

I genuinely understand people’s desire to see us lift silverware again. It’s not my absolute priority though, a trophy at all costs i.e. the Mourinho approach to success. It’s far more important to enjoy ‘the journey’ and if a cup comes as a result of a brilliant journey, then so much the better. It will taste all the sweeter for it.

My question to you would be how does the point around taking 5/6th over CL manifest in reality, given there are no certainties in football and success in cups, at least in my opinion, are largely down to things outside of your control? Do you mean playing a second string in a league game that could be pivotal in getting a Champions League place vs playing a first eleven in a cup semi / final the following weekend?

I get that view, just one thing doesn’t guarantee the other. It may give you a better chance though.

However, if it’s a view that we can simply choose to win a cup by ‘prioritising’ it - which I don’t think is what you’re suggesting, but I feel a lot on here buy into this kind of magical thinking - then I can’t get on board with it as I just don’t think football works like that.

I was making a general perspective

- Football for me has always been the journey, my enjoyment isn't at the end of season, it's the actual games, the cup runs, all those things, and yes it would be sweetened by lifting something at the end of the season.
- That said, if you constantly are aiming for success and you don't ever quite make it, you have to re-evaluate your strategy/plan. Spurs is too big to go 20 years without a trophy while claiming a level of progress
- Your point of prioritization is correct, no guarantees but it's all small percentage gains and I think it would be a fair statement that previous managers at Spurs have felt pressure to get that CL spot, and maybe it's just one player choice or rotation that the benefit/priority that in the past went to PL, think we are hopefully making it at least an equal priority.

I'm broadly satisfied with current direction/strategy at club (I will get accused of having no ambition for that), I'm happy we are no longer the circus that some other clubs have, that we don't willing play/excuse rapists/abusers/etc. (even if we do have the occasional player with questionable viewpoints), but to @Bedfordspurs earlier comment, we have made some investments/decisions, it will take time to see it play out, but there has to be some measure of "success"

pl-net-spends-postecoglou-1723452512-144864.png

Obviously we've had a lot more work to do than some of the others but it shows what we are capable of spending now, also encouraging considering there's been no CL football over this period
Very nice to see Spurs being the biggest spenders (other than those nutters at Cheatski).
Daniel Levy, take a bow son.

I'm told Slot's football is very different to Klopp's i.e. no basketball up and down crazy press, much slower and more controlled.

I'm told Slot's football is very different to Klopp's i.e. no basketball up and down crazy press, much slower and more controlled.
It’s massively different from what I’ve seen which was the year before when we wanted him.
Much more like Arteta ball

Fortunately utilises the players though as they all seem to be adapting well and there has been no real need for major change so far.

I believe that may well be the idea in keeping Mason and Matt wells here
But that succession planning is something I don’t think any club has really managed
I don't think it is about keeping lower ranking coaches at the club, it is about not lurching from a manager with a one style of football to a new manager with a completely different style of football. Liverpool's two prime candidates of Alonso and Slot were natural successors to Klopp for example.

I don't think it is about keeping lower ranking coaches at the club, it is about not lurching from a manager with a one style of football to a new manager with a completely different style of football. Liverpool's two prime candidates of Alonso and Slot were natural successors to Klopp for example.

You 100% have to keep a continuity in the core coaching though especially if you are keeping to a stylistic approach. I know Wayne Burnett from his time playing at Grays and managing the club when I was there helping them and spoke to him not so long ago about it and the philosophy from Ange now runs deep through every team and its a style implemented through the entire coaching set up. So of course the manager choice has to match absolutely, but the lower ranking coaches also have to stay consistent otherwise the overhaul fractures the infrastructure

Continuity at all levels is key

Munn is definitely key IMO. I think I said elsewhere, but listening to him in Tokyo...he's impressive. Here's hoping he turns out to be Levy's best ever hire.

Munn is definitely key IMO. I think I said elsewhere, but listening to him in Tokyo...he's impressive. Here's hoping he turns out to be Levy's best ever hire.

Yeh, I was ridiculed on here when I suggested his job was key and had a pretty tedious back and forth on here about it, but when you take the time to piece together what he said when he joined, what he has said since and what he is implementing now you can see why he is here and as you say Key. Its about continuity in the footballing operation, decisions that impact that, working in conjunction with Lange and Ange to make swifter calls on players and getting rid which we are seeing, maybe taking a short financial hit to a longer term gain (which we all moaned about on here).

I think he is a shrewd bloke and so far so good

I was making a general perspective

- Football for me has always been the journey, my enjoyment isn't at the end of season, it's the actual games, the cup runs, all those things, and yes it would be sweetened by lifting something at the end of the season.
- That said, if you constantly are aiming for success and you don't ever quite make it, you have to re-evaluate your strategy/plan. Spurs is too big to go 20 years without a trophy while claiming a level of progress
- Your point of prioritization is correct, no guarantees but it's all small percentage gains and I think it would be a fair statement that previous managers at Spurs have felt pressure to get that CL spot, and maybe it's just one player choice or rotation that the benefit/priority that in the past went to PL, think we are hopefully making it at least an equal priority.

I'm broadly satisfied with current direction/strategy at club (I will get accused of having no ambition for that), I'm happy we are no longer the circus that some other clubs have, that we don't willing play/excuse rapists/abusers/etc. (even if we do have the occasional player with questionable viewpoints), but to @Bedfordspurs earlier comment, we have made some investments/decisions, it will take time to see it play out, but there has to be some measure of "success"
I think the money, prestige and ability to attract and keep players with CL is too great for that not to be a priority in some ways. Particularly when earlier in cup/EL rounds when the actual chance of winning the thing remains fairly low regardless. If in later rounds that may change.

I think the aim should be to have a squad good enough to give close to equal priority to both. We're heading in that direction at least. No more "B team". Because a trophy would be great for sure. And young/squad players hungry to prove themselves in the cups who can see an actual pathway to meaningful league minutes and in time regular starts also in bigger games. Those players playing in a system and role they're familiar with. That would improve our chances of a trophy imo.

Hopefully the cup and EL games will have a different, better vibe this season as a result. Compared to our league Cup exit last season at least.

Agreed. Will have to see how it works out for Slot at Liverpool at least. But it's not about finding a new manager with the same playing style, but finding one that's at least somewhat similar and suited to most of the players already at the club.

"Succession planning" on managers seems to me to be a bit of an illusion. Sometimes fans win say this or that assistant is the successor or this or that manager at a different club will be the successor. In reality mostly impossible to know when that change will happen, impossible to know who will be available to get at that time. In some ways it will almost always be a bit of a scramble. But having a plan for that in place, a good knowledge of managers around and a good understanding of football systems, player roles etc should help. If that's "succession planning" I'm fine with the term.

You 100% have to keep a continuity in the core coaching though especially if you are keeping to a stylistic approach. I know Wayne Burnett from his time playing at Grays and managing the club when I was there helping them and spoke to him not so long ago about it and the philosophy from Ange now runs deep through every team and its a style implemented through the entire coaching set up. So of course the manager choice has to match absolutely, but the lower ranking coaches also have to stay consistent otherwise the overhaul fractures the infrastructure

Continuity at all levels is key
Agree 100%..... But if we sack Ange and bring in (say) Dyche then we'd be back to square 1 again.

Back