• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

On MOTD2 they looked at Lukaku's contributions for Everton

They divided the pitch lengthways into 3 zones, the middle zone being in front of goal, then the left and right channels.

Against Liverpool every touch was in the right zone. Yesterday nearly every touch was in the left zone, with 1 or 2 in the middle zone but not near goal.

This is what Adebayor is doing for Spurs, all of his touches are in the channels, none in the box where it matters (or it would just be a soft header in the air, not an effort on goal).

Very strange, very frustrating, but interesting that the vaunted athlete Lukaku is having exactly the same issue at present... or following exactly the same gameplan from Roberto Martinez.

I think this one of the biggest challenges for striker and team in 4-2-3-1. In a 4-4-2, the wide players tend to play wide, they run up the line, they cross, there are two strikers and a midfielder in or around the box, and the other wide player picking up an overhit cross.

In a 4-2-3-1 , the "wide" players often come inside, the full back may try to get forward, but quite often there is no one to run the channel, and no ball down the line.. So that is where Ade goes -when he can be bothered. And to be fair he can run the channel quite effectively -but that leaves us short in the box.

I suppose 4-2-3-1 should/could segue into 4-4-2 as the #10 pushes on and the two defensive midfielders also push on. That would be my ideal formation - and is one reason I don't like to see 4-2-3-1 with two out and out defensive midfielders.

The other issue for Ade is when we press teams high up the pitch, or we are getting a lot of possession in the other team's half. They will usually have 10 men behind the ball, we will pass the ball back and forward across the back four, between back four and linking midfielder and back, up to the full back who pushes as high as possible. And so on. It can get fairly static. This kind of football doesn't really suit Ade -he is not a tricky dribbler, he can't hold the ball up in tight spaces - and there is no space behind their back four to work with. This is where someone like Berbatov was useful because you could knock into feet and he would almost always hang onto it while people ran off him.

When the game is more open, or the other side has possession and we play on the counter -then is suits Ade better.

But we don't have the strikers for the kind of pressing game we are trying to play. Kane needs a bit of space too. Soldado is too box orientated, not strong enough. Although he probably fits the type of player required most - despite his woeful run of form.

I thought that Adebayor had a good game for us yesterday.

I would be interested to hear how many of those that thought he didn't have a good game yesterday have based that opinion on:

a) just the fact that they do not like him.
b) listending to the game on the radio
c) watching the match via a stream.

I would also be interested in what more he could've done in the view of those that thought he played poorly?

Adebayor was pretty much key to our whole game plan. He was generally isolated up front, given scrappy service and consistently confronted with both centre halves. Despite this he worked hard to pull them around and create space for our midfielders to run into. He also generally held the ball up well and brought others into play. Yes he found it difficult to get into the box - but that was because of the part he was having to play in the build up, without him linking up away from the penalty area we simply weren't able to get into positions to get the ball into the box.

Yesterday Adebayor played a big part in our goal, put Chadli in for a 1 on 1 with the keeper (where Chadli then took it too wide to get it on to his left foot instead of trusting the finish with his right from what would've been a much better angle) and also could've had a penalty/created another goal when he run into the box was stopped and Lamela then decided not to shoot).

Adebayor also did more pressing/closing down than just about any of our other players.

I wish that some people would judge players on their performance rather than their reputation/how much they like them. Just to show that I am able to do this I'd just like to say that a player I had almost given up on.... Etienne Capoue - played really well yesterday - sound defensive positioning, tackles and interceptions, consistently showed for the ball when we were in possession and also seemed a lot more progressive on the ball than in our previous home games.

I would question the "Ade had a great game" people to go watch that match again .. he had a poor game (as he has had most of this season, and the last few games of last).

I will attempt to answer your question

- Ade has fallen into the habit of that Robbie Keane used to do and people here used to ride him game after game for, he is not supposed to spend the whole ****ing game in midfield, too many times, Rose, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela are further up the pitch and, Ade is not making the run to get ahead of them.
- If it was just a poor service issue, why did Chadli, Lamela, Eriksen all have shots on goal yesterday, how many did Ade have?
- Ade's true ability is his acceleration, case in point, the one time he used it yesterday was for the goal, he got the ball, accelerated away, made a pass (how many other times for game did he use that in an attacking sense?)
- He can hold up the ball well, but not recently, the amount of times he has been bullied off the ball, fallen down or just lost the ball in this season is very concerning.
- Completely disagree with him being any part of game plan, our game plan from what I can tell, is press opposition to get ball, move ball quickly, leverage FBs to potentially use width, otherwise use quick passing of Eriksen and Lamela to get to Ade supported by Chadli. If Ade moves too slowly, doesn't commit to being in the box, doesn't make himself available for the pass (if he is behind the midfielders doing a Keane), it all breaks down.

Funny when Soldado wasn't scoring but helping the play, this board was all "a strikers job is to score goals" now Ade isn't scoring "he's essential to our style/play" sorry I call BS ..

Funny when Soldado wasn't scoring but helping the play, this board was all "a strikers job is to score goals" now Ade isn't scoring "he's essential to our style/play" sorry I call BS ..

That is totally not true just have a look at the Soldado thread after he has played and there are plenty of posters who claim Soldado's buildup play is superb he should get a run in team etc.. I do agree with your post though Ade is not doing enough in attack and neither is Soldado. Each poster seems to have a preference as to who they would prefer but I think we would all agree neither has been near good enough. Kane is the only of our 3 strikers who remotely looks a goal threat at the moment.

That is totally not true just have a look at the Soldado thread after he has played and there are plenty of posters who claim Soldado's buildup play is superb he should get a run in team etc.. I do agree with your post though Ade is not doing enough in attack and neither is Soldado. Each poster seems to have a preference as to who they would prefer but I think we would all agree neither has been near good enough. Kane is the only of our 3 strikers who remotely looks a goal threat at the moment.

Agreed, and my point is play him ...

He ran his nuts off today. Played very well. People are calling it based on how they expected him to play, not how he performed on the day.

For me, Ade & Eriksen set the tone. When they're up for it, as they were today, the whole team presses and harries and plays with much more conviction & urgency.

Well said.

I would question the "Ade had a great game" people to go watch that match again .. he had a poor game (as he has had most of this season, and the last few games of last).

I will attempt to answer your question

- Ade has fallen into the habit of that Robbie Keane used to do and people here used to ride him game after game for, he is not supposed to spend the whole ****ing game in midfield, too many times, Rose, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela are further up the pitch and, Ade is not making the run to get ahead of them.
- If it was just a poor service issue, why did Chadli, Lamela, Eriksen all have shots on goal yesterday, how many did Ade have?
- Ade's true ability is his acceleration, case in point, the one time he used it yesterday was for the goal, he got the ball, accelerated away, made a pass (how many other times for game did he use that in an attacking sense?)
- He can hold up the ball well, but not recently, the amount of times he has been bullied off the ball, fallen down or just lost the ball in this season is very concerning.
- Completely disagree with him being any part of game plan, our game plan from what I can tell, is press opposition to get ball, move ball quickly, leverage FBs to potentially use width, otherwise use quick passing of Eriksen and Lamela to get to Ade supported by Chadli. If Ade moves too slowly, doesn't commit to being in the box, doesn't make himself available for the pass (if he is behind the midfielders doing a Keane), it all breaks down.

The way the system has been set-up, it is designed to see our attacking three come through into scoring positions. I'd argue that Chadli is playing the striker's role every bit as much as Ade and that the two interchange depending on the situation.

As for not holding the ball up well,i thought MOTD 2 was interesting as it pointed out how well he held it up yesterday; I don't disagree, to memory we always seem to remember the knee-bounces and what not, but he's better than we think in this regard.

As to the last comment, he spent a season playing like this under AVB.

I don't think he's been anything close to marvelous but equally, I didn't think he was poor yesterday. Having said that, I wonder if he was ill at the death star!

I thought that Adebayor had a good game for us yesterday.

I would be interested to hear how many of those that thought he didn't have a good game yesterday have based that opinion on:

a) just the fact that they do not like him.
b) listending to the game on the radio
c) watching the match via a stream.

I would also be interested in what more he could've done in the view of those that thought he played poorly?

Adebayor was pretty much key to our whole game plan. He was generally isolated up front, given scrappy service and consistently confronted with both centre halves. Despite this he worked hard to pull them around and create space for our midfielders to run into. He also generally held the ball up well and brought others into play. Yes he found it difficult to get into the box - but that was because of the part he was having to play in the build up, without him linking up away from the penalty area we simply weren't able to get into positions to get the ball into the box.

Yesterday Adebayor played a big part in our goal, put Chadli in for a 1 on 1 with the keeper (where Chadli then took it too wide to get it on to his left foot instead of trusting the finish with his right from what would've been a much better angle) and also could've had a penalty/created another goal when he run into the box was stopped and Lamela then decided not to shoot).

Adebayor also did more pressing/closing down than just about any of our other players.

I wish that some people would judge players on their performance rather than their reputation/how much they like them. Just to show that I am able to do this I'd just like to say that a player I had almost given up on.... Etienne Capoue - played really well yesterday - sound defensive positioning, tackles and interceptions, consistently showed for the ball when we were in possession and also seemed a lot more progressive on the ball than in our previous home games.

I don't like Ade, not for many of the reasons quoted on here but because idont like the style of football played in a team set up with Ade up front.

I watched most if the game on a poor stream.
I also listened to some of it on 5 live and a watched MOTM.
Ade was good and bad yesterday. He tries when he wants, that's not good enough. Twice yesterday he was off side for second ball, ie ball comes in for Ade, it's cleared and the defence moves out. Ade doesn't, a first time ball is played back in, flag goes up! Inexcusable. That's the bad.

The good, he did have spells of closing down. Some of his hold play was very good.
As I say he isn't my first choice but credit where due he made a contribution yesterday.
In his defence for this season I don't think this system or the front three behind him play to his strengths.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Completely agree. I suppose he was essential to our style of play two seasons ago too when Bale had to keep rescuing us in the dying minutes every week because Adebayor was so useless.

The way the system has been set-up, it is designed to see our attacking three come through into scoring positions. I'd argue that Chadli is playing the striker's role every bit as much as Ade and that the two interchange depending on the situation.

As for not holding the ball up well,i thought MOTD 2 was interesting as it pointed out how well he held it up yesterday; I don't disagree, to memory we always seem to remember the knee-bounces and what not, but he's better than we think in this regard.

As to the last comment, he spent a season playing like this under AVB.

I don't think he's been anything close to marvelous but equally, I didn't think he was poor yesterday. Having said that, I wonder if he was ill at the death star!

That's fine, but that doesn't mean Adebayor shouldn't also get into goalscoring positions. His job is ultimately to score goals. If he keeps up at this rate, I see no reason why Poch should keep playing him. With the way he's started the season goals wise, I can't imagine Poch isn't encouraging him to get into the box at every opportunity.

It's clear Ade played well against Southampton (hell even Southampton fans think it).

So 1 in 7, keep playing him then? You said after Arsenal we should give him a couple more games. Does that mean he should be dropped after Emirates Marketing Project if he doesn't get a goal?

So 1 in 7, keep playing him then? You said after Arsenal we should give him a couple more games. Does that mean he should be dropped after Emirates Marketing Project if he doesn't get a goal?

I said he should get 2 more games...he's since had a good game vs Southampton so it still stays at 2 more games for me.

I said he should get 2 more games...he's since had a good game vs Southampton so it still stays at 2 more games for me.

:lol: So you will keep extending even if he doesn't score? He's scoring at a rate Emile Heskey would be embarrassed about at the moment. There's no way you would be that lenient towards Soldado. Btw, I think Kane should be given a chance ahead of Soldado but why should we continue to play a non scoring striker?

Completely disagree with him being any part of game plan.

He has started every league game and was recently made vice captain. So yes, he has and is very much a part of the game plans. You may not like or rate him or his performance(s), but that's something different.

I see no reason why Poch should keep playing him.

Yep, you (and I for that matter) don't see what Poch does.

Last edited:
:lol: So you will keep extending even if he doesn't score? He's scoring at a rate Emile Heskey would be embarrassed about at the moment. There's no way you would be that lenient towards Soldado. Btw, I think Kane should be given a chance ahead of Soldado but why should we continue to play a non scoring striker?

Indeed, in Ade's last 17 league starts he has scored 4 league goals

One other thing I wonder about, is there a problem between Ade and ericksen? They don't seem to be gelling this season but also after goal there I didn't notice Ade in the celebrations. I think ericksen would an outspoken little guy. Has there been words?

One other thing I wonder about, is there a problem between Ade and ericksen? They don't seem to be gelling this season but also after goal there I didn't notice Ade in the celebrations. I think ericksen would an outspoken little guy. Has there been words?

Funny you mentioned that, a friend of mine mentioned that they do not appear to get on with each other

Back