• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

considering (imo) there's little chance of offloading him in the summer does anyone think a full summer here would get him back on track or are you all consigned to him being a lost cause?

Ade, rested, maybe a full pre season training, and maybe a couple of easy games where he bangs a few in, vs. offloading him (which I don't see much chance of)?

I suspect the summer plan is to go for a #1 striker to deliver the goods
- New #1 Striker w/Ade & Duece as backup and cover, +Bale should be enough firepower

imo, likely means JD is the one to move on (more likely to get a sale, not that I'm anti JD)

considering (imo) there's little chance of offloading him in the summer does anyone think a full summer here would get him back on track or are you all consigned to him being a lost cause?

I dont think we should get rid of him but I do think we need to bring in a first choice striker. We need to bolster our squad especially upfront and need to add. I am assuming we will battle on three fronts next season and we have seen how tired our players can get.

This is assuming the finances are available.

In direct answer to your question - his finishing is not that good and has never been that good so if youre talking about him being 'revitalised' maybe so but it wouldnt make his finishing any better. Would I keep him? I would but definitely not as first choice - id like us to have two strikers competing for a spot (I would keep Defoe too as an impact sub and maybe FA Cup etc)

Im sorry

15m for Michu? The guy has proved it for 3/4 of a season and already a 13m increase on what he cost at the start of the season? What the fudge.

Benteke for 12m (Would be more maybe 15-20m) but also proved it (sparingly but admittedly for a brick Villa) for 3/4 of a season? What the fudge?

I think the Ade situation shows one thing - you dont buy a player based on one seasons set of performances. We have been bitten far more than its worth int he past with buying playing based on a seasons showing - Bentley being the prime example.

I agree about Lukaku although then again 3/4 season where he has proven it.

Maybe its about taking the risk on such players but the valuations seem ridiculous and I would be angry if we paid that much for those players you mentioned (Lukaku I wouldnt mind but thats cos I do like him as a player)

Your saying this all to me like I set the value? I am merely estimating what I think those sides may be willing to sell at, not what I personally think they are worth and the fact is Swansea as example, have no need to sell. He has a long term contract and in order to make it an attractive proposition to them, they need to be compensated. Just like we had no need to sell Modric. Therefore, to get the player, you pay an overinflated fee. I believe that Michu would only be sold if a figure of around £15m were to be met. Yes he went only for £2m but that is just as farcical a fee when you look at the player as a fee north of £15m is in fairness.

Quite clearly, he is a player that should command a much higher fee in his value than £2m and I agree that he probably isn't quite worth £15m either.

Benteke is exactly the same scenario unless they get relegated or unless he kicks up such a fuss about their underperformance this season. otherwise its the same ball game - Long term contract, no desire to sell unless they get very good money to replace someone who in all honesty will have been the main reason for staying up if they do so. You have to factor in what it will cost them to buy someone who can get them 15 league goals a season - what is that worth to a side? It is worth a lot to us based on how our forwards have performed generally post Berbatov/Keane.

Your saying this all to me like I set the value? I am merely estimating what I think those sides may be willing to sell at, not what I personally think they are worth and the fact is Swansea as example, have no need to sell. He has a long term contract and in order to make it an attractive proposition to them, they need to be compensated. Just like we had no need to sell Modric. Therefore, to get the player, you pay an overinflated fee. I believe that Michu would only be sold if a figure of around £15m were to be met. Yes he went only for £2m but that is just as farcical a fee when you look at the player as a fee north of £15m is in fairness.

Quite clearly, he is a player that should command a much higher fee in his value than £2m and I agree that he probably isn't quite worth £15m either.

Benteke is exactly the same scenario unless they get relegated or unless he kicks up such a fuss about their underperformance this season. otherwise its the same ball game - Long term contract, no desire to sell unless they get very good money to replace someone who in all honesty will have been the main reason for staying up if they do so. You have to factor in what it will cost them to buy someone who can get them 15 league goals a season - what is that worth to a side? It is worth a lot to us based on how our forwards have performed generally post Berbatov/Keane.

I know that and acknowledge that. Those clubs will demand those fees but what I guess gets me as that after three quarters of a season those strikers are our saviours. That was the point I was trying to get across.

There is certainly a shortage of strikers in and around the world but you can get proven (albeit not in the premiership) strikers from places like Spain etc. They may not be proven in the league but whats to say that those players like Michu and Benteke are not one season wonders?

I think personally you go to Germany to get the strikers and players. The way I view it they have the technical ability but can also handle the English game as theirs isnt too dissimiliar.

Considering the poor financial condition of a lot of Spanish clubs there has to be a few bargains over there.

I know that and acknowledge that. Those clubs will demand those fees but what I guess gets me as that after three quarters of a season those strikers are our saviours. That was the point I was trying to get across.

There is certainly a shortage of strikers in and around the world but you can get proven (albeit not in the premiership) strikers from places like Spain etc. They may not be proven in the league but whats to say that those players like Michu and Benteke are not one season wonders?

I think personally you go to Germany to get the strikers and players. The way I view it they have the technical ability but can also handle the English game as theirs isnt too dissimiliar.

I don't say they are our saviours, like with anything, it can go either way but certainly I think either of those 3 playing for us would have given us more all round than Adebayor has this season.

I think really my point was that we don't have to just accept we will be priced out of buying a decent forward because players like Falcao will cost the earth. If we are prepared to gamble a little and we need to really for a forward, we can players in without it costing us the massive financial outlay a Falcao would cost (if he would ever come) as an example.

Im sorry

15m for Michu? The guy has proved it for 3/4 of a season and already a 13m increase on what he cost at the start of the season? What the fudge.

Benteke for 12m (Would be more maybe 15-20m) but also proved it (sparingly but admittedly for a brick Villa) for 3/4 of a season? What the fudge?

I think the Ade situation shows one thing - you dont buy a player based on one seasons set of performances. We have been bitten far more than its worth int he past with buying playing based on a seasons showing - Bentley being the prime example.

I agree about Lukaku although then again 3/4 season where he has proven it.

Maybe its about taking the risk on such players but the valuations seem ridiculous and I would be angry if we paid that much for those players you mentioned (Lukaku I wouldnt mind but thats cos I do like him as a player)

Actually to be fair,this is Michu's second outstanding goalscoring season (he's actually scored almost half his career goals in the past season and three quarters).

I remember the same argument being said about Demba Ba (Which I found propesterous because this is his 4th season in a row of 1 in 2 goalscoring).

But the problem is that we're going to struggle to buy a striker who has consistently been doing it for a long time because those strikers are either already at top clubs or are being coveted by top clubs. What we have to do is buy a good player who's had a bit of a downturn in form, or a young player with a high ceiling. Gambles basically. What we've done for every single position in our squad except the striker position, where we have 2 old, streaky players who've scored a combined 12 league goals between them this season.

So if we are looking at those 2 players, AVB, the scouts and Levy will have to decide whether by watching their performances, they believe they will continue these kinds of goalscoring exploits and performances for us next season. Or any striker they may be scouting.

I don't think Adebayor's going anywhere because no-one is going to pay his wages.

Actually to be fair,this is Michu's second outstanding goalscoring season (he's actually scored almost half his career goals in the past season and three quarters).

I remember the same argument being said about Demba Ba (Which I found propesterous because this is his 4th season in a row of 1 in 2 goalscoring).

But the problem is that we're going to struggle to buy a striker who has consistently been doing it for a long time because those strikers are either already at top clubs or are being coveted by top clubs. What we have to do is buy a good player who's had a bit of a downturn in form, or a young player with a high ceiling. Gambles basically. What we've done for every single position in our squad except the striker position, where we have 2 old, streaky players who've scored a combined 12 league goals between them this season.

So if we are looking at those 2 players, AVB, the scouts and Levy will have to decide whether by watching their performances, they believe they will continue these kinds of goalscoring exploits and performances for us next season. Or any striker they may be scouting.

I don't think Adebayor's going anywhere because no-one is going to pay his wages.

This is to Libero too

There are strikers and strikers who arent too costly but we identify strikers but never take the risk. I just switched over and watche Remy score a goal - he hit the ball as powerfully as Ade hit his tamely and like a fudgein pansy.

Also I seem to remember the reason people liked AVB and wanted him is because of his 'scouting' connections or rather his knowledge of players - well hopefully we will see it in the summer. I would also think we do have money to spend 20-30m so money wont be an issue its our tendency to procrastinate and not pull the trigger on a transfer especially as it seems to concern a striker.

Is Leandro still an option? I dont know but worth a punt.

This is to Libero too

There are strikers and strikers who arent too costly but we identify strikers but never take the risk. I just switched over and watche Remy score a goal - he hit the ball as powerfully as Ade hit his tamely and like a fudgein pansy.

Also I seem to remember the reason people liked AVB and wanted him is because of his 'scouting' connections or rather his knowledge of players - well hopefully we will see it in the summer. I would also think we do have money to spend 20-30m so money wont be an issue its our tendency to procrastinate and not pull the trigger on a transfer especially as it seems to concern a striker.

I think Leandro is an option and I expect him to be a Spurs player either by September or January. We have been linked and AVB has said enough on the issue to make me think it is a constant target for us.

I would expect that be the only forward signing though which is a shame. I think we could do with another one as well to put pressure on the rest of the forwards and give us real options for rotation throughout the season whilst genuinely attacking all the competitions we are in for.

The procrastination issue is another one altogether and I think in other threads we established a number of opinions about Levy always holding out for a deal and I agree, sometimes you need to forego the extra few million you would save to make the gamble and get someone in and I would say that this summer is certainly one of those times - we simply have to get someone of real quality in.

Last edited:
This is to Libero too

I don't think we're getting Leandro and I think its about time we stopped wasting time on him, we've done enough.

If we don't buy at least 1 striker this summer and perhaps even two, I think every single individual involved in player acquisition at Spurs should be shot.

As an aside, I've always argued this idea that there just aren't strikers out there for us at the moment to be absolute crap. But we're going to have to take a gamble.

I don't think we're getting Leandro and I think its about time we stopped wasting time on him, we've done enough.

If we don't buy at least 1 striker this summer and perhaps even two, I think every single individual involved in player acquisition at Spurs should be shot.

As an aside, I've always argued this idea that there just aren't strikers out there for us at the moment to be absolute crap. But we're going to have to take a gamble.

fascist

This all day. how can you blame Livermore? He hasn't started in the EPL in weeks. I'm afraid we are stuck with him other than putting him on a free. Who would pay decent money for him now? And the wages demands? Signing Adebayor was a mistake from the start. Let's not forget his best season was twelve goals and four of those came from the penalty spot. Not quite of Bentley proportions, but his signing is up there.

The real clue would be that my original comment related to another match...why Naija chose today to reply to it I don not know. The comment had nothing to do with this weekend. Do you seriously think I am going to blame Jake Livermore for matches he's not involved in? Please...

You know where my vote lies. We still need a world class striker in the pack too. If we cannot afford to do both, then yes, sell him to Anzhi or wherever get the wages back towards someone else, otherwise persevere. I don't think we can afford 'punts' in the 15m range anymore. We either buy the Arunde Kone's for 7-8 mill or we spend the 30-35 required for word class. I still believe we will plunder the Bundesliga!

Anyone who knows football knows his MO is to try hard until he gets a new contract, then he gets comfortable and stops performing. I genuinely believed he had turned a corner in his career last season, but nothing changes. He's the definition of unreliable and he's not talented enough to justify sticking by someone so unrealiable. Players like him and Balotelli are always going to come with risks. If anything, he's a poor man's Balotelli.

The real clue would be that my original comment related to another match...why Naija chose today to reply to it I don not know. The comment had nothing to do with this weekend. Do you seriously think I am going to blame Jake Livermore for matches he's not involved in? Please...

Nothing much surprises me around here. People come out with weirdy comments all the time and on all subjects.:-"

Nothing much surprises me around here. People come out with weirdy comments all the time and on all subjects.:-"

Ain't that the truth!

Ade has not been scoring but his goal has kept us in the Europa and in the team of eleven he was a positive against Swansea. But people have issues and facts like that will never shift them from their position.
I am completely confident Ade will win us matches this season. I am hopeful that JD can score a couple as well.
The Ade/Dempsey combo when both 100% fit is the future.

Anyone who knows football knows his MO is to try hard until he gets a new contract, then he gets comfortable and stops performing. I genuinely believed he had turned a corner in his career last season, but nothing changes. He's the definition of unreliable and he's not talented enough to justify sticking by someone so unrealiable. Players like him and Balotelli are always going to come with risks. If anything, he's a poor man's Balotelli.

Have you watched him play this year. Lack of effort does not seem to be the issue, he has just been playing brick

You know where my vote lies. We still need a world class striker in the pack too. If we cannot afford to do both, then yes, sell him to Anzhi or wherever get the wages back towards someone else, otherwise persevere. I don't think we can afford 'punts' in the 15m range anymore. We either buy the Arunde Kone's for 7-8 mill or we spend the 30-35 required for word class. I still believe we will plunder the Bundesliga!

I think so too. I mentioned it in another post and think we may delve into that market. I dont watch any German football but im sure there are one or two in there who could hopefully do a job.

Back