• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dominic Solanke

That's fair enough mate, I'm in no position to declare someone isn't able to share their opinion. It just gives off a vibe of waiting for a reason to share that opinion to me regardless of how many times the opinion has already been shared.

It's only my opinion but showing a bit of awareness that you may be indeed repeating yourself goes a long way - I'm not going to invest time in working it out but it's a fair few times of you unironically stating you don't rate Richy, including twice in the last two pages, we get it. Again, imo it's not necessary to repost that opinion when we're linked to any stiker that could potentially be replacing him.

So anyways, is Sokanke world class then folks? And what does world class actually mean?*

*Please don't actually discuss this for the love of GHod it was a joke

I think we’re all guilty of stating the same opinion over and over. Its natural that comparisons would be made of our current strike force when we’re in the market for a new striker, especially when our marquee striker so to speak has been crocked for 3 months and is doubtful for the start of the season. I’ll own my opinion of Richarlison, I’ve never been a huge fan. He surprised me last season with his goal return. Even if they were tap ins, you have to get yourself into those positions to score and he did that. I’d like a more polished striker personally and I don’t think he is the guy. Which brings me to Solanke, I’m in the undecided camp. As I’ve stated, I’d like someone with a little more skill and guile but he scored a lot of goals for a mid table team so it’s probably worth a go. If I see a position or player in the team that needs to be upgraded I’ll voice my opinion until it’s addressed, even if it is repeatedly. I’ve done the same with Werner and I’d do the same if I wasn’t happy with the manager or the owners, speaking of which, I’d like new owners which is another thing I’ve said many times but I’m relatively content at the moment provided they back Ange, even if I was really unhappy with them I’m not the protesting type, the worst I’d do is vote with my feet and stop going rather than turning up just to voice my disapproval of them.

He's saying that there's not all that much difference in quality/attributes between different players at the top level but what there IS a huge difference in, is character. And that he finds the most important thing.
You would have more of a point if Richarlison were indeed a Unibond Premier tier player. But he's not. He plays successfully in the Premier League and on the international stage.
I wasn't taking about Richarlison in particular just players in general. Ange can say what he wants but let's remember he's never actually coached elite talent. So he has no hands on experience coaching say a Messi or Ronaldinho Vs a Richarlison, Maddison or even Gary O'Neil.

I wasn't taking about Richarlison in particular just players in general. Ange can say what he wants but let's remember he's never actually coached elite talent. So he has no hands on experience coaching say a Messi or Ronaldinho Vs a Richarlison, Maddison or even Gary O'Neil.
Oh. I posted the video in direct response to you saying that his character was NOT the determiner of whether he's the right player for us.
You can say what you want but currently it appears the manager of our club holds a very different view to you. This season could be pretty key to seeing just how accurate he is on this, as it'll be after two pre-seasons at the club working with some players now for over a year and having had the chance to bring in others of both the ability and character he wants.
Of course, events may overtake all that.

Oh. I posted the video in direct response to you saying that his character was NOT the determiner of whether he's the right player for us.
You can say what you want but currently it appears the manager of our club holds a very different view to you. This season could be pretty key to seeing just how accurate he is on this, as it'll be after two pre-seasons at the club working with some players now for over a year and having had the chance to bring in others of both the ability and character he wants.
Of course, events may overtake all that.
Absolutely.

The way I see it player quality, character/mentality and fit for system are all non negotiables at the moment. As it should be.

Of course quality or fit for system can be the decisive factors too. But character could too. The players who are seen as not good enough or not a good fit for the system won't be targets at all. So at the point where we're actually interested character is probably quite likely to be the decisive factor between two or more viable targets.

I think we’re all guilty of stating the same opinion over and over. Its natural that comparisons would be made of our current strike force when we’re in the market for a new striker, especially when our marquee striker so to speak has been crocked for 3 months and is doubtful for the start of the season. I’ll own my opinion of Richarlison, I’ve never been a huge fan. He surprised me last season with his goal return. Even if they were tap ins, you have to get yourself into those positions to score and he did that. I’d like a more polished striker personally and I don’t think he is the guy. Which brings me to Solanke, I’m in the undecided camp. As I’ve stated, I’d like someone with a little more skill and guile but he scored a lot of goals for a mid table team so it’s probably worth a go. If I see a position or player in the team that needs to be upgraded I’ll voice my opinion until it’s addressed, even if it is repeatedly. I’ve done the same with Werner and I’d do the same if I wasn’t happy with the manager or the owners, speaking of which, I’d like new owners which is another thing I’ve said many times but I’m relatively content at the moment provided they back Ange, even if I was really unhappy with them I’m not the protesting type, the worst I’d do is vote with my feet and stop going rather than turning up just to voice my disapproval of them.
I don't get how you don't rate Richarlison but then you rate Solanke. A player I would like to see at Spurs is Mateta as I think there is a player in there but he is 27 and last season may have been an anomaly.

I feel like you're problem with Richy is potentially more of a problem with the system - Ange wants a striker who is active in the box finishing cutbacks and crosses, most of our goals are going to be tap ins or headers. With inverted FBs there's no space for Son to cut in and bang them in and it's unlikely Udogie / Porro are going to do that on their weaker foot and the 9 is meant to be finding space / hassling defenders not scoring worldies out of nowhere.

Whoever we bring in is going to be assigned this role unless Ange completely changes his approach, which is why Solanke fits the bill. Even if he doesn't score, the defenders know they have been in a game as he is physical and one of the best in terms of pressing - I think this is more important to the manager than say the occasional Zlatan-esque wondergoal.

My point would be to perhaps be open about changing your opinion based on new developments and developing a further understanding of what we're trying to do. I bet if you stated your case to Ange himself ie "he only scores tap ins" he wouldn't see the problem with that, goals count as goals and outside of that there's a lot that a player does in a set up like we have. If you're set on your initial views on a player you're just looking to confirm your bias. Same with Werner, he isn't going to score sumptuous finishes after beating 4 players but he repeatedly beats players and puts in balls that are difficult to deal with, which is kind of our bread and butter. If you or whoever always reckoned he's toss because of some Paddy power banter then okay, whatever, but probably worth looking at how his skillset fits the system. The manager hasn't brought him in as some kind of joke or attempt to wind up the supporters.

I feel this is a gamble, and yea every signing is that, but this is high money for a player that has had 1 good season, but his ok on the head and good at cutting infront of defenders. He is about to be a Spurs player, so… get in! Now we have one dart and one bow celebration

I'd be happy with this, doesn't come without an element of a gamble given that he's only had the one standout season in the Prem but he's a good player and has a lot of attributes that'd suit out play

I'd be happy with this, doesn't come without an element of a gamble given that he's only had the one standout season in the Prem but he's a good player and has a lot of attributes that'd suit out play

It matters much less now Richarlison is definitely staying. We've net strengthened (he's de facto replaced Parrott), rather than gambled on an iffy twist.

Worst case we flog him back down the league next season and see if Lankshear or Veliz are ready then to step up.

Apparently he missed their last friendly with an injury, so if we even got this over the line in the next few days, will he be fit for opening day...

Apparently he missed their last friendly with an injury, so if we even got this over the line in the next few days, will he be fit for opening day...
This came out at the same time someone revealed that Solanke had done a goodbye video for the fans. Conveniently this injury was apparently only a minor one for a week....

Back