• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dominic Solanke

Spending more money on PL signings isn't the wisest course of action imo as a plan. The majority of top PL players are typically already playing for our "rivals" so we aren't going to be able to sign them. That leaves just those that haven't already made a move to a "big club" which might be for a variety of reasons. It sounds like a plan that has us spending bigger amounts on more middling players who haven't quite got the quality to reach the top level rather than actual top players.
It’s what Emirates Marketing Project have done
It’s what pool have done too
Worked well for them

It’s what Emirates Marketing Project have done
It’s what pool have done too
Worked well for them
They are willing to pay big, we aren't. If we are going to start going for say an Isak from Saudi Sportswashing Machine or even Alvarez from City then fair enough that would be a similar model to City and Pool but I'm not sure if I believe 1 season Solanke is quite of the same mould.

Not a massive fan of the lad but willing to give him a chance if he signs. Who are we going to sign that’s guaranteed to be a success? Is there anyone gettable in the league for us who is much better? Big money strikers from abroad haven’t always been successful for us either.

Has to be one of the first signings in a long time where most of the fan base are against him before he had even kicked a ball. I know Richie wasn’t ideal for some people but i’d say 70% of the fan base were happy enough with him, Solanke on the other hand probably has about 10% of the fan base backing him and the rest hoping he flops so they can have a winge at Levy again. Really weird transfer, he can’t help the price but i feel we have needed a player like him for a while. Llorente was a similar type of player and he was useful plus Solanke is abit more mobile. I think he scores 15 prem goals this season.
It's an interesting one.
For me it's Ange's first big test for a signing. (Actually, maybe VDV was)
Unfashionable, but should be the right player.
He's always been very highly rated, but came through at a time when "one goal scorer up from" because fashionable - and whilst he can definitely lead the line, he isn't someone you look at on a team sheet and think he'll score.

That said, if his name was Solankares, I think people would be more excited.
And we all, of course, need to shed the luxury we had of a goalscoring machine up front for a decade.

Additional:
Interestingly, Defoe's record for us was just under 1:3
And I bet if we did a poll of Solanke Vs Defoe, it would be a landslide for Defoe.

They are willing to pay big, we aren't. If we are going to start going for say an Isak from Saudi Sportswashing Machine or even Alvarez from City then fair enough that would be a similar model to City and Pool but I'm not sure if I believe 1 season Solanke is quite of the same mould.
City and pool haven’t done that

Ake wasn’t brought like that
Was Mane
How about Robertson
Grealish and Van Dijk are stand outs but again they paid the asking price of a lower club. That’s what we would be doing for solanke
Van dijk was own season by the way as was Robertson
Most clubs buy from lesser sides

Was Mane
How about Robertson
Grealish and Van Dijk are stand outs but again they paid the asking price of a lower club. That’s what we would be doing for solanke

I always think that, people make such a fuss about it but every player has to come from somewhere, would people have sneered at VVD if we signed him from Celtic and stolen a march on Southampton and ultimately Liverpool OR is it only recognised as a good signing if you pay top whack to Liverpool because it shows ambition? Fine lines for me

I always think that, people make such a fuss about it but every player has to come from somewhere, would people have sneered at VVD if we signed him from Celtic and stolen a march on Southampton and ultimately Liverpool OR is it only recognised as a good signing if you pay top whack to Liverpool because it shows ambition? Fine lines for me
I’m fudged If I know
Fans react as though it’s their money sometimes
Then people complain that a player isn’t good enough before he even plays
The weirdest thing is people complain we haven’t backed the manager, then spend the money and it’s the wrong player. Almost as if the manager didn’t want the money being spent

It's an interesting one.
He's always been very highly rated, but came through at a time when "one goal scorer up from" because fashionable - and whilst he can definitely lead the line, he isn't someone you look at on a team sheet and think he'll score.

And we all, of course, need to shed the luxury we had of a goalscoring machine up front for a decade.

Additional:
And I bet if we did a poll of Solanke Vs Defoe, it would be a landslide for Defoe.

Defoe was often a sub. With Keane and berbatov in front.
Even then spurs fans wanted a 20 goal a season striker.

As for a foreign name. There are plenty of foreign names that people don’t want because they’ve only done it for one season.

If we are going for a striker and spending big money. I wan’t a clear step up from what we have. Or why bother?

Defoe was often a sub. With Keane and berbatov in front.
Even then spurs fans wanted a 20 goal a season striker.

As for a foreign name. There are plenty of foreign names that people don’t want because they’ve only done it for one season.

If we are going for a striker and spending big money. I wan’t a clear step up from what we have. Or why bother?
But you won’t know who is that clear step up until you try
Osihmen may struggle here because of many variables
Maybe Mbappe would too
We don’t know
I doubt because both are quality but there are so many things that can go wrong with signings

It's an interesting one.

Additional:
If we were trying to sign a Defoe today I would definitely say he wasn't good enough, I mean I pretty much said that at the time tbh. Defoe has cult status amongst the Dan's and he was a decent striker but not a great one. His actual scoring records for us are nothing special in a person season basis. More than 13 once, years he favourite but he's nowhere near as good as many reminisce about him being.

Sorry for digressing but I thought it relevant.

I don't love it but I don't hate it

If it's Richarlison out him in with no additional spend....

And he seems to stay fit

Was Mane
How about Robertson
Mane was a premium signing at the time and one I believe we tried to make as well. Robertson was a smart pickup but he was cheap which I agree with. What you suggested if you're getting confused is paying premium to other PL teams for players. I'm saying that's not the wisest course of action unless you're buying the very best, ie. The likes of Mane, Van Dijk, Rice etc.

Buying a Robertson, or an Ake is exactly what we should do, but neither are the admittedly the potentially inflated 65m equivalent for a mature striker who has had one good season. Do you understand the what I'm saying?

Again, I'm not anti Solanke. I just think based one basically 1 good season if we were to pay 65m I do think thats not the wisest use of the funds, but if he works then I'm not going to complain it just seems hella expensive to me and you're not going to be able to move him on for anything close if it turns out last season was indeed a blip.

Mane was a premium signing at the time and one I believe we tried to make as well. Robertson was a smart pickup but he was cheap which I agree with. What you suggested if you're getting confused is paying premium to other PL teams for players. I'm saying that's not the wisest course of action unless you're buying the very best, ie. The likes of Mane, Van Dijk, Rice etc.

Buying a Robertson, or an Ake is exactly what we should do, but neither are the admittedly the potentially inflated 65m equivalent for a mature striker who has had one good season. Do you understand the what I'm saying?

Again, I'm not anti Solanke. I just think based one basically 1 good season if we were to pay 65m I do think thats not the wisest use of the funds, but if he works then I'm not going to complain it just seems hella expensive to me and you're not going to be able to move him on for anything close if it turns out last season was indeed a blip.
Ake was a premium fee
Grealish was a premium fee
Van dijk was
Clubs don’t sell cheap and clubs do like to exploit a player after one season to maximise the value
I do agree that the price is high but that’s the prem premium
if that was a guy from Spain it would be the equivalent of the guy who has just gone to Roma Dyobrk for £35m iirc

This is probably his last shot at a "big club", he has attributes Ange likes, could be a good combination.
He wouldn't be high up my list of signings but if ange wants him and agrees to come I'd support it.
And I'm sure that's a relief to all concerned.
Not a go at you, but we heard the same “if Ange wants him” stuff when we signed Werner, and he’s been completely underwhelming.
Why are people so hung up on the price ?
It's not our money, if the club wants to spend it, let them
He is better than Richy so improves us
Is he better than Richy? Not so sure myself.

I didn't mean in the skillset sense. Just that we bought Bent in as our record signing, but he was never more than our 4th best striker (obviously that was in the days of playing with two strikers).

But having an expensive peak age CF backup, rather than a Fullkrug or a young prospect, seems a recipe for discontent and someone we'll soon be struggling to get rid of.
I doubt Solanke would be back-up if he came in. I think (hope!) we'd have enough games for both Solanke and Richarlison to get lots of starts next season (and that's before considering Richarlison's poor injury record).

I don't think there'd be a buyer for Richarlison. He's said he won't leave England, so his value probably limits him to Man U. He's better than Hojlund, so that might be an option?

You could possibly play both. Richarlison's potentially our best LWF option next season (depending on the permanence of Son's decline) as well as our best CF.
I don't think so.

Back