• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Didn't Robson nearly end Sheringham's career with a nasty tackle? I hated that cnut. To think, we had him and Wilkins in mid field and Ghod couldn't get a look in. What a joke.

Be fair there was some real gifted midfield players about like Webb, McMahon, McDermott, Reid and Lee that Hoddle had to get pass, these guys would have walked into Brazil.

Didn't Robson nearly end Sheringham's career with a nasty tackle? I hated that cnut. To think, we had him and Wilkins in mid field and Ghod couldn't get a look in. What a joke.
Wilkins was a VERY good player.... I always thought that he would've been the perfect team mate for Hoddle in the England midfield.

He wasn't nick named the crab for nothing. All he ever did was make side ways passes.
That was just a lazy description given to him by those who perhaps weren't the best judge of a footballer. Wilkins had a great football brain and a superb touch. Positionally he was generally perfect, he always moved to receive the ball and he just about never gave it away. Sure he made a lot of sideways passes, but that was generally when the options were either to do and retain possession or lump it up the field. Of course many English fans would've preferred the latter back then, as opposed to Wilkins ensuring that we kept the ball until there was actually an option of a forward pass there.

He wasn't nick named the crab for nothing. All he ever did was make side ways passes.
And the nickname came from the same people who coined glen/glenda and pushed for Robson over GHod. A player who knew how to retain possession, could play a pass and had a good shot. Would rather him tgan Stevie me

Wilkins was a VERY good player.... I always thought that he would've been the perfect team mate for Hoddle in the England midfield.

I was at Keith Brukinshaw's testimonial .... Spurs vs England.

By far the loudest ... by really really far the outrageously loudest song was "When Wilkins plays for England, so will I" (tune ... "she'll be coming round the mountain"). He lived down to his reputation that night, passing backwards or (at best) sideways all evening..

Sad that Dle Alli thread is being dragged down to 'Butch' (rotflmao .... first & last time I expect to use that term) Wilkins' level.

Mods .... feel free to remove any reference to that turd

PS .... sorry if anyone feels I'm sitting on the fence here

Yeah, i remember that:mad:
Yes, Ossie Ardiles and defending soundly didn't go hand in hand in the same sentence, but you have to wonder how things would have gone for him in that first season if he had a fit Teddy for most of it..

IIRC we'd actually started that season well, playing some delightful slick pass and move football that our opponents were unable to cope with, a win at Anfield included. We were scoring and letting a few in, but picking up wins.

Ossie was unlucky, we lost our viking in goal, our full-back Austin to a leg-break and a Wimbledon thug literally tried to kill Mabbs, causing him to miss the rest of the season. We had Teddy out for near six months.

I liked that team but it needed toughening up, it needed investment and also for Ruddock, and one or two experienced players not to have bailed out the previous summer.

Liverpool legend John Aldridge “baulks” at the thought of his former club letting someone like Dele Alli escape their grasp. Furthermore, he also added that the midfielder’s former boss Karl Robinson wanted him him to join the Reds.

Aldridge feels that because Alli was a boyhood fan, it makes Liverpool’s failure to sign him that much worse. He told the Liverpool Echo: “The kid wanted to play for Liverpool, he was a fan who loved Steven Gerrard when he was younger. He had a manager at MK Dons in Karl Robinson who was keen for him to go to Liverpool.”

“So to miss out on him and to now see what he’s doing for Spurs and for England, it is hard to take.”

Alli is someone who has shown himself adept at playing all over the midfield, and this is why Aldridge is convinced he’s going to become a star.

Alli’s potential, coupled with Liverpool’s recent spending habits are why Aldridge is upset: “We’ve bought so many inept players over the last few years for so much money and you look at what we turned away, it really hurts me to see.”

Alli’s potential, coupled with Liverpool’s recent spending habits are why Aldridge is upset: “We’ve bought so many inept players over the last few years for so much money and you look at what we turned away, it really hurts me to see.”
I'll bet they're chuffed they didn't 'do a Spurs' and screw things up with their Suarez moneyHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Liverpool legend John Aldridge “baulks” at the thought of his former club letting someone like Dele Alli escape their grasp. Furthermore, he also added that the midfielder’s former boss Karl Robinson wanted him him to join the Reds.

Aldridge feels that because Alli was a boyhood fan, it makes Liverpool’s failure to sign him that much worse. He told the Liverpool Echo: “The kid wanted to play for Liverpool, he was a fan who loved Steven Gerrard when he was younger. He had a manager at MK Dons in Karl Robinson who was keen for him to go to Liverpool.”

“So to miss out on him and to now see what he’s doing for Spurs and for England, it is hard to take.”

Alli is someone who has shown himself adept at playing all over the midfield, and this is why Aldridge is convinced he’s going to become a star.

A win there on Saturday, with a goal by Alli, will put the icing on this post.
GO Alli - YOU have to do it

I have read quite a few pieces about Liverpool not signing Alli.... There seems to be an assumption that he would've chosen them over us, when the opposite is actually true. Liverpool wanted to sign Alli when we got him but the player chose to come to Spurs instead of Liverpool. Admittedly Liverpool had talks about signing Alli about a year or so before we got him, but had they agreed a fee with MK Dons then I think we would've just matched that fee.

I went to a networking evening in January at the MK Dons stadium and Karl Robinson did a really interesting Q&A session. Obviously Dele was a major talking point and the Liverpool question came up. Basically KR had contacted Liverpool (KR is a self confessed Liverpool fan and worked there for a few years as a coach) and told them about Alli. They scouted him and initially wanted him to stay at MK because they felt he wasn't ready at that time - a few months later we came knocking and made all the right noises.

Dele's Dad looked at how Poch developed young players and they felt that at Spurs he would get more opportunities - Liverpool were notified of our interest but by that time Daniel Levy had nipped in and sealed the deal. Essentially, Liverpool screwed it up completely - Aldridge is right to be gutted!!!!

It was funny because even that night they mentioned how shrewd Levy is to deal with LOL! But they feel they got a good deal, "A fair price plus a good sell-on percentage" (although no numbers were mentioned).

I was at Keith Brukinshaw's testimonial .... Spurs vs England.

By far the loudest ... by really really far the outrageously loudest song was "When Wilkins plays for England, so will I" (tune ... "she'll be coming round the mountain"). He lived down to his reputation that night, passing backwards or (at best) sideways all evening..

Sad that Dle Alli thread is being dragged down to 'Butch' (rotflmao .... first & last time I expect to use that term) Wilkins' level.

Mods .... feel free to remove any reference to that turd

PS .... sorry if anyone feels I'm sitting on the fence here
But, again, that's just because 90% of people who watch football don't really have much of a clue about it. Wilkins made his debut for Chelsea at only 17 years old, was CAPTAIN of them aged only 18, he played for them for 6 years, Man Utd for 5 years and AC Milan for 3 years. He was that good that he was still able to play top division football in the centre of midfield for QPR between the ages of 32 and 37 years old.

I don't think Alli is being "dragged down to Butch Wilkins level".... The comparison was actually made between Alli and Bryan Robson (who I thought was a hugely overrated player). My point was simply that Wilkins was a very good player who would've made a good foil for Hoddle in the England team.

I think a better player comparison for Alli from that time would be Hoddle himself. With Dier playing the Wilkins role.

Wonder if the lad is reading this thread. If he is, if you are, watch this (even if you already have) :

But Dele is different, he has a hard edge to him as well as the silky skillz

Back