• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Old Red Nose reckons he's the best youngster since Gazza. Tapping up?

(Source - Manchester Evening News)

Spurs midfielder Dele Alli has been hailed by Sir Alex Ferguson as the best young midfielder since Paul Gascoigne.

The former Manchester United manager praised the 19-year-old who joined Tottenham from MK Dons for £5 million in February 2015.

Alli is currently enjoying a great season for club and country and is expected to be included in Roy Hodgson's England squad for Euro 2016.

Now the teenager has caught the eye of ex-Reds boss Ferguson who has likened him to Spurs legend Gazza.

Ferguson told Sky Sports: "He is probably the best young midfielder I have seen in many years

“Probably going back as far as Gascoigne."

Alli was also compared to Gascoigne by another former United star, Teddy Sheringham, after he was the stand-out performer for England against Germany last weekend.

Sheringham said: "He's looking a player. I thought he was outstanding in Germany. He had that aura about him in Berlin that Paul Gascoigne had about him at the beginning of his career.

"It was almost if Dele Alli was saying: 'Come and try and get the ball off me. And even if you've got the ball I'll nick it off you then I'm going to wander away from you and you won't get it off me.'

“Gazza used to do that. You can't coach that kind of mentality and self belief it was in Gazza and Dele Alli seems to have something similar."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35939877

Mauricio Pochettino: Tottenham star Dele Alli can handle hype

_89029530_dele_alli_ap.jpg

Dele Alli has already scored seven times in his debut Premier League season

Mauricio Pochettino is confident Dele Alli can handle the hype after Sir Alex Ferguson said he was the most talented midfielder since Paul Gascoigne.

The 19-year-old has seven goals and 12 assists in his debut Premier League season, also impressing Roy Hodgson in England's win over Germany on Saturday.

Hodgson likened Alli to Bryan Robson, before the former Manchester United boss made his Gascoigne comparison.

"I can only agree with him," said Tottenham Hotspur manager Pochettino.

"It's very good praise from one of the best managers in football history.

"Am I worried about the hype? No, you can see the whole season how he has managed the pressure. He is very calm, very mature."

upload_2016-4-1_13-50-49.gif
Paul Gascoigne spent four seasons at Spurs and also won 57 England caps, scoring 10 goals

Tottenham visit Liverpool on Saturday, where Alli will face England team-mate - and captain against the Netherlands - James Milner, who does not want to put too much pressure on the teenager.

"We want to take it off him and let him go out there and not worry about it," said Milner.

"Worry about playing football and keep improving because he is still young. Good as he is at this moment, he can be 10 times better and he will."

Alli has played a big part in Tottenham's challenge for a first title since 1961, linking up with striker Harry Kane on seven occasions to become the most productive partnership in Europe's top five leagues.

"He has managed the pressure and the popularity and how to be a senior player and play for the national team. He is very calm," said Pochettino.

"Now he is fresh, at a good level, he has a good mentality. He is mature enough. We have no worries about his future."

upload_2016-4-1_13-50-49.gif
Dele Alli celebrates with Tottenham team-mate Harry Kane during England's win in Berlin
While at MK Dons, Alli was driven up to Anfield by manager Karl Robinson and met then-manager Brendan Rodgers, only for the Merseyside club to stall on the deal.

Liverpool's loss has been Tottenham's gain, but Pochettino admits even he is surprised by the speed of Alli's progress.

"There is always a question mark with a young player," added the Argentine.

"You can assess his left and right foot, his performance on the pitch and in training. But how a young player can be affected by the big things that happen in football, being a senior player, being in the national team, this is always a question mark.

"You can be aware and try to support him, but I think that all the same it has surprised us how he has shown maturity."

The understanding between Alli and Kane is actually the most prolific in Europe's top five leagues this season, with the midfielder setting up seven of the striker's goals - a fact that will please England manager Roy Hodgson heading into the summer.

The most productive partnerships in Europe's top five leagues
Player combination
Goals created
Dele Alli to Harry Kane (Tottenham) 7

Mesut Ozil to Olivier Giroud (Arsenal) 6
Gerard Deulofeu to Romelu Lukaku (Everton) 6
Troy Deeney to Odion Ighalo (Watford) 6
Marc Albrighton to Riyad Mahrez (Leicester) 5
Riyad Mahrez to Jamie Vardy (Leicester) 5
Zlatan Ibrahimovic to Edinson Cavani (Paris St-Germain) 5
Gonzalo Castro to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Dortmund) 5
Marek Hamsik to Gonzalo Higuaín (Napoli) 5
Koke to Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid) 5
Luis Suarez to Neymar (Barcelona) 5
Neymar to Luis Suarez (Barcelona) 5
Roberto Soldado to Cedric Bakambu (Villarreal) 5

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35912192

-------------------------------------------------------

Interesting to see the Alli-Kane combination producing the most goals together among the top leagues in Europe. Hope Alli can create more goals for Kane in the remaining matches. A bit surprising to see Messi's name not appearing among those. Also surprising to see Soldado creating 5 goals at Villareal.

Spurs midfielder Dele Alli has been hailed by Sir Alex Ferguson as the best young midfielder since Paul Gascoigne.

The former Manchester United manager praised the 19-year-old who joined Tottenham from MK Dons for £5 million in February 2015.

Alli is currently enjoying a great season for club and country and is expected to be included in Roy Hodgson's England squad for Euro 2016.

Now the teenager has caught the eye of ex-Reds boss Ferguson who has likened him to Spurs legend Gazza.

Ferguson told Sky Sports: "He is probably the best young midfielder I have seen in many years

“Probably going back as far as Gascoigne."

Alli was also compared to Gascoigne by another former United star, Teddy Sheringham, after he was the stand-out performer for England against Germany last weekend.

Sheringham said: "He's looking a player. I thought he was outstanding in Germany. He had that aura about him in Berlin that Paul Gascoigne had about him at the beginning of his career.

"It was almost if Dele Alli was saying: 'Come and try and get the ball off me. And even if you've got the ball I'll nick it off you then I'm going to wander away from you and you won't get it off me.'

“Gazza used to do that. You can't coach that kind of mentality and self belief it was in Gazza and Dele Alli seems to have something similar."

One of my happiest Spurs supporting memories (actually higher than some arguably more memorable occasions like the 4-4) was watching this sour c*nt's face turn violently purple when time was ticking down and we were on our way to the 3-2 win at Old Trafford. We *finally* beat him before he retired, on his own patch. F*cking beautiful.

Come to think of it, it's probably also where my love for AVB comes from, to be honest. :)

One of my happiest Spurs supporting memories (actually higher than some arguably more memorable occasions like the 4-4) was watching this sour c*nt's face turn violently purple when time was ticking down and we were on our way to the 3-2 win at Old Trafford. We *finally* beat him before he retired, on his own patch. F*cking beautiful.

Come to think of it, it's probably also where my love for AVB comes from, to be honest. :)

Same here. Will always regard AVB as a Spurs legend for beating ManU away for the first time since 1989 ! Ferguson must have been so affected and embarassed by that defeat that he decided to retire !:D

I don't get it. This must have been misquoted, or something. What about Scholes? I can understand him considering Beckham and Giggs as wingers rather than "midfielders", but surely Scholes ranks above Alli? Perhaps not the same kind of player (definitely not the same kind of tackler!), but I can't believe Fergie would put Alli ahead of Scholes at this stage in his career.

I don't get it. This must have been misquoted, or something. What about Scholes? I can understand him considering Beckham and Giggs as wingers rather than "midfielders", but surely Scholes ranks above Alli? Perhaps not the same kind of player (definitely not the same kind of tackler!), but I can't believe Fergie would put Alli ahead of Scholes at this stage in his career.

Scholes is more Hoddle esque and was all about his range with the ball (passing and shooting)

Scholes also wasn't the stand out when he was young and starting for United iirc

Last edited:
As quality as Scholes was, he was never a flair player like Gazza or Ali. First touch, vision, passing and long range shooting was his bread and butter whereas Ali seems to love a nutmeg, bursting run and tackle. Both dirty fudgers though.

Was that when Kane booted the ball away in an offside position and man u fans were calling for a card even though the whistle hadn't gone yet.... And then gobbed down his own shirt.

That's when my true love for Kane started

Doubt it's a misquote. No question Scholes was an exceptional talent but Alli is even more naturally gifted.

Hahaha, what a fine win that was! AVB was a tremendous concept, just a shame no-one could've known that he actually has some sort of weird personality defect going/social communication issues. He had to deal with the post-Bale/Modric Spurs, which was never ever going to be easy. I still think the guy has some great ideas...

Hahaha, what a fine win that was! AVB was a tremendous concept, just a shame no-one could've known that he actually has some sort of weird personality defect going/social communication issues. He had to deal with the post-Bale/Modric Spurs, which was never ever going to be easy. I still think the guy has some great ideas...

He was a good manager, mate. I don't think it was a social/communication thing as much as it was just losing VDV, Modric, Ledley and Bale in successive seasons: he'd set the team up around Bale after Modric left, but when Bale left he ran out of ideas and we spent the money on players he didn't necessarily want. Similarly, VDV and Ledley brought a lot of intangibles to the club that probably disappeared when they left and a personality/leadership gap was created.

The thing about AVB is that I really don't see him as a charismatic leader type, the sort of person who could fill that void: we have Poch now, who absolutely is that sort of person (by all accounts, even though he's generally a bit of a wet fish in press conferences and in public :p ), and he's provided the leadership our side needed to become as good as it is now. But AVB had a situation that was crying out for a Poch-type manager (as you say, the post Bale/Modric era) and his character (which is more suited to being the sort of reserved tactical organizer that's more common on the continent) didn't allow him to rise to it, simple as that.

Bale absolutely loves the guy, for example, and a lot of his players at Porto have spoken about how he shaped their game and their personal development. It isn't a stretch to assume that he can gain players' loyalty at about the same rate as any other manager: he just wasn't able to steady the ship as we lost our best players in successive years, by dint of being unsuited to the role.

The whole 'he's an awkward croaky-voiced bad communicator' thing comes from the hacks at the Mail and the Sun, who never tired of making him the pantomime villain as some sort of imagined payback for the way he treated Chelsea's old English cohort in 2011/2012 (who probably were the ones who spread that rumor in the first place). It's all history now, and we have a good manager (perhaps very,very good) who combines being a naturally charismatic leader with being a tactical savant: but I'll still defend old Andre as heartily as I can. Because of the win at Old Trafford, the win against City, the win against Arsenal, the development of Bale, the accumulation of 72 points, the highest total the club's gotten in the PL era..

The whole 'he's an awkward croaky-voiced bad communicator' thing comes from the hacks at the Mail and the Sun, who never tired of making him the pantomime villain as some sort of imagined payback for the way he treated Chelsea's old English cohort in 2011/2012 (who probably were the ones who spread that rumor in the first place). It's all history now, and we have a good manager (perhaps very,very good) who combines being a naturally charismatic leader with being a tactical savant: but I'll still defend old Andre as heartily as I can. Because of the win at Old Trafford, the win against City, the win against Arsenal, the development of Bale, the accumulation of 72 points, the highest total the club's gotten in the PL era..

As I said earlier in another thread I do like ( some ;)) of your posts mate and this without doubt is one of you best and I agree 100% with this bit.

He was a good manager, mate. I don't think it was a social/communication thing as much as it was just losing VDV, Modric, Ledley and Bale in successive seasons: he'd set the team up around Bale after Modric left, but when Bale left he ran out of ideas and we spent the money on players he didn't necessarily want. Similarly, VDV and Ledley brought a lot of intangibles to the club that probably disappeared when they left and a personality/leadership gap was created.

The thing about AVB is that I really don't see him as a charismatic leader type, the sort of person who could fill that void: we have Poch now, who absolutely is that sort of person (by all accounts, even though he's generally a bit of a wet fish in press conferences and in public :p ), and he's provided the leadership our side needed to become as good as it is now. But AVB had a situation that was crying out for a Poch-type manager (as you say, the post Bale/Modric era) and his character (which is more suited to being the sort of reserved tactical organizer that's more common on the continent) didn't allow him to rise to it, simple as that.

Bale absolutely loves the guy, for example, and a lot of his players at Porto have spoken about how he shaped their game and their personal development. It isn't a stretch to assume that he can gain players' loyalty at about the same rate as any other manager: he just wasn't able to steady the ship as we lost our best players in successive years, by dint of being unsuited to the role.

Let's not forget the genius move of putting all the bits of training that require thinking and concentration to the end of the sessions.

Most managers seeing us conceding a lot of late goals would work on fitness so that we were less tired. AVB could see that it was mental and not physical fatigue and altered training to compensate. Genius.

Back