• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Davinson Sanchez

It depends on what money to be honest. I also think the decision needs to be taken once the new manager is in and not before.
And I’m sure it will
The club wont be giving him new terms without someone running the panting side
It’s just rumours out there probably via some random site that’s gained traction for more brick to throw in the mix

And I’m sure it will
The club wont be giving him new terms without someone running the panting side
It’s just rumours out there probably via some random site that’s gained traction for more brick to throw in the mix
It will be quite a difficult decision for the new manager. Assuming Dier is looking at 4 years on £80k a week, I would imagine some would want to use that £16m to instead bring in a younger player with much more potential upside than Dier (Jacob Greaves from Hull for instance). However the manager knowing they have a trigger happy chairman with a penchant for sacking managers that fall short of CL qualification is likely to lead to a philosophy of concentrating only on the here and now and not looking to the future.

Your assuming that of course
But we have recently offloaded several players for free at a cost to the club. We have literally declined a new extension for Moura for example
We have extended Hugo in the last few years and that’s a mistake now imo with us not planning to replace him quick enough. That wasn’t to protect his value though
Dier has been here almost 10 years and we have even in the CL half that time so he must have been doing some things right. And if he isn’t happy being a squad player we can sell him.
So who else have we offered these contracts too?
Honestly it’s a misleading trope to hit the club with.
there is plenty to hit the club with but offering a new contract to one player that some fans think is brick is just daft imo

Winks, Tanganga, Davies. All on extended contracts. Lo Celso on a 5 year deal. Moura on a 6 year deal. Ndombele on a 5 year deal. All on big money. It all points to a club trying to protect transfer value as a priority IMO. Similar to how we prioritise top 4 over trophies. Does Levy pick the team in the cups? No. But does he set the tone on what priorities are? You bet. I’d be willing to wager that contracts are incentivised a lot more heavily towards qualifying for CL than winning a pot. And the economics support that but that’s behaving far more like a business rather than as a competitive sporting outfit.

Sacking a manager 6 days before a cup final. Has any club ever done that before? The very strong rumour is that Jose wanted to rest players for the Southampton league game for that final and Levy disagreed because we still had an outside shot at top 4. That apparently was the straw that broke the camels back. Didn’t Jose also apparently say that were run as a business rather than as a competitive outfit?

Dier had one very good season in midfield. He’s been ordinary other than that. Not deserving of some of the brick he gets but not a very good player. Never has been, never will be at this point.

Levy’s approach has brought us a lot. Training ground, stadium. Improved League finishes. But we’re now at the point where I really don’t think he can bring us any further because everything is viewed through the prism of “economics first, competitiveness second.”

Winks, Tanganga, Davies. All on extended contracts. Lo Celso on a 5 year deal. Moura on a 6 year deal. Ndombele on a 5 year deal. All on big money. It all points to a club trying to protect transfer value as a priority IMO. Similar to how we prioritise top 4 over trophies. Does Levy pick the team in the cups? No. But does he set the tone on what priorities are? You bet. I’d be willing to wager that contracts are incentivised a lot more heavily towards qualifying for CL than winning a pot. And the economics support that but that’s behaving far more like a business rather than as a competitive sporting outfit.

Sacking a manager 6 days before a cup final. Has any club ever done that before? The very strong rumour is that Jose wanted to rest players for the Southampton league game for that final and Levy disagreed because we still had an outside shot at top 4. That apparently was the straw that broke the camels back. Didn’t Jose also apparently say that were run as a business rather than as a competitive outfit?

Dier had one very good season in midfield. He’s been ordinary other than that. Not deserving of some of the brick he gets but not a very good player. Never has been, never will be at this point.

Levy’s approach has brought us a lot. Training ground, stadium. Improved League finishes. But we’re now at the point where I really don’t think he can bring us any further because everything is viewed through the prism of “economics first, competitiveness second.”

Top post.

Ndombele, Lo Celso and Moura were all signed on those contracts, nothing unusual in a 5 year contract. Winks signed his contract extension in 2019 and at that time he was playing well and nobody would've moaned about the contract extension.
Tanganga isn't on big money and he was young when he signed the contract.
Would you rather we gave 3 year contracts, they have a good season and are left with two years left on their contract and then we are constantly looking to renew contracts or losing players?

Levy's approach is for the club to make money anywhere he can so it can be invested back into the club. That money is the only way we can be competitive.
There's a number of decisions he made that I don't agree with and things that could have been done better but the overall trajectory on the pitch has been up. It's never going to be always up, but the lows now are still better than the highs under Sugar.

I'm a Jose fan, but it wasn't a proper cup final, and absolutely no way should we have prioritised it over chasing a CL spot.

the DoF shouldn't be appointing a manager like that
In which case we’re only going to get a very lowly manager. It is fine for the manager to tell the DoF what ‘type’ of players they want and for what positions and for the recruitment team to go and find options but not for the manager to have no say on what senior players come into/stay at the club.

In which case we’re only going to get a very lowly manager. It is fine for the manager to tell the DoF what ‘type’ of players they want and for what positions and for the recruitment team to go and find options but not for the manager to have no say on what senior players come into/stay at the club.

it's not no say, but we shouldn't hire a manager already biased against existing squad members

I'm a Jose fan, but it wasn't a proper cup final, and absolutely no way should we have prioritised it over chasing a CL spot.
I’m anything but a Jose fan (especially latter day Jose) but beggars can’t be choosers - and we’re definitely in the beggars category - and we ended missing both the League Cup and the CL (and even the Europa League). This seasons sacking of Conte will probably have the same result (minus cup final loss).

it's not no say, but we shouldn't hire a manager already biased against existing squad members
Sorry but that is mental…. I would hope whoever we hire already has a decent view of our existing team, otherwise they have not done their homework.

They can then assess further in pre-season and perhaps even early in the season if they so wish and contract decisions can be made after that.

I’m anything but a Jose fan (especially latter day Jose) but beggars can’t be choosers - and we’re definitely in the beggars category - and we ended missing both the League Cup and the CL (and even the Europa League). This seasons sacking of Conte will probably have the same result (minus cup final loss).

it’s a completely worthless trophy

Sorry but that is mental…. I would hope whoever we hire already has a decent view of our existing team, otherwise they have not done their homework.

They can then assess further in pre-season and perhaps even early in the season if they so wish and contract decisions can be made after that.
A manager shouldn't have anything to do with contracts. The average time a manager lasts in the PL is under 2 years. Players will be here longer than that. It's the DoF job to ensure that the players are the right ones for the footballing philosophy and bring in managers to suit that. With Munn coming in and Paratici (or his replacement) hopefully we'll settle on a style and stick with that so the manager shouldn't be looking for wholesale changes to players.

It will be quite a difficult decision for the new manager. Assuming Dier is looking at 4 years on £80k a week, I would imagine some would want to use that £16m to instead bring in a younger player with much more potential upside than Dier (Jacob Greaves from Hull for instance). However the manager knowing they have a trigger happy chairman with a penchant for sacking managers that fall short of CL qualification is likely to lead to a philosophy of concentrating only on the here and now and not looking to the future.
Don’t forget that £16m is wages
Your talking about a fee and wages for a new player
So that could be more or less… we don’t know
Dier is a huge conduit for the foreign players to the English ones due to his language skills. I think it has huge value form what I’ve read
He also is a steady eddy which a new manager may what in his squad
But… if we don’t buy a better player to start instead of him I’d be fudging worried

Your going down another bunch of tangents now…
Tanganga extended contract was when? After he we into the first team 2 years ago… basically his first real pro contract

winks deal and Davies deal was in 2019… the right deals at the time

adding in new signings to the conversation… they all come with minimum terms and 5 years is normal middle ground. It makes sense assuming we believe we are buying quality players. That is economics. It’s economics of signing players. It’s not a Tottenham thing, it’s a football thing

Those signings were to help us push on. They have failed. That’s a club failing and a failing of the players

sacking Mou when we did was IMO 100% financial. It was all about how we could get rid of him and him wining a cup would have made that much more expensive.

Don’t forget that £16m is wages
Your talking about a fee and wages for a new player
So that could be more or less… we don’t know

Dier is a huge conduit for the foreign players to the English ones due to his language skills. I think it has huge value form what I’ve read
He also is a steady eddy which a new manager may what in his squad
But… if we don’t buy a better player to start instead of him I’d be fudging worried
Agreed, but I would hate our new manager having no say in whether or they would rather than £16m of budget was put to alternative use. Whatever they decide is fine, keep or jettison, after all they will be the person that Levy sacks when we miss out/look like we might miss out on CL qualification).

Agreed, but I would hate our new manager having no say in whether or they would rather than £16m of budget was put to alternative use. Whatever they decide is fine, keep or jettison, after all they will be the person that Levy sacks when we miss out/look like we might miss out on CL qualification).
I don’t want a manager having any day in players
It’s why we have made so many bad choices
But we don’t have a DOF now so….

A manager shouldn't have anything to do with contracts. The average time a manager lasts in the PL is under 2 years. Players will be here longer than that. It's the DoF job to ensure that the players are the right ones for the footballing philosophy and bring in managers to suit that. With Munn coming in and Paratici (or his replacement) hopefully we'll settle on a style and stick with that so the manager shouldn't be looking for wholesale changes to players.
The manager should have the most important say on current players’ contracts being extended or not.

I don’t want a manager having any day in players
It’s why we have made so many bad choices
But we don’t have a DOF now so….
They have to have some say…. Not full control but lots of input. No manager can succeed if they are saying they don’t want an existing player retained and that player is then given a new contract and they are told to use them anyway.

They have to have some say…. Not full control but lots of input. No manager can succeed if they are saying they don’t want an existing player retained and that player is then given a new contract and they are told to use them anyway.
I agree with that
But no control of budget
Options yes

Back