• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

No one on this board could tell me that they would prefer levy over the owners of Emirates Marketing Project. Not one, all this flim clan of doing it the right way is stupid.

The modern game closely shows that the richest team will usually rise to the top.

Levy is not stupid and done his best with the tools he has had. But he has fell short terribly with support on the pitch but made large strides off it.

And also just because it's not levy it doesn't mean that the new owner will do a Leeds or whatever .... talk about doomsday fear mongering.

Levy and Enic have made the club self sustainable hoping that we remain "competitive", but I bet he would take the money and run if a stupid offer came in. A stupid offer that he and Joe are waiting for. He didn't have the minerals to make this club run as consistent winners but knows how to spin a story.

It's a tough one because I'd find it hard not to be on the bandwagon. If Spurs were winning leagues and cups all over the place, yeah it'd be great and I'm sure most people would find a way to rationalise it.

But I dont see City or Chelsea as proper clubs. Ditto PSG. They just won the lottery and their success is tainted for me. I despise the Bindippers but I do have a grudging admiration for them because they are a proper football club and city who have been successful from their own resources. Same with United. I love clubs like Burnley, Norwich, Palace etc who may never be that successful but are proper football clubs.

We would all enjoy the success but I think there would be very few on this board or amongst our fan base that wouldn't feel like we've lost some of our identity if we became the plaything of a rich foreign owner who had no link to the club. Moreso if they were of questionable character which all these people seem to be.

It's a tough one because I'd find it hard not to be on the bandwagon. If Spurs were winning leagues and cups all over the place, yeah it'd be great and I'm sure most people would find a way to rationalise it.

But I dont see City or Chelsea as proper clubs. Ditto PSG. They just won the lottery and their success is tainted for me. I despise the Bindippers but I do have a grudging admiration for them because they are a proper football club and city who have been successful from their own resources. Same with United. I love clubs like Burnley, Norwich, Palace etc who may never be that successful but are proper football clubs.

We would all enjoy the success but I think there would be very few on this board or amongst our fan base that wouldn't feel like we've lost some of our identity if we became the plaything of a rich foreign owner who had no link to the club. Moreso if they were of questionable character which all these people seem to be.
City fans started off like that
NOw they don’t care and are reviling in the glory with some arrogance

Possibly. I only know one who was with them all the way down to League One and although he loves the success, he does feel like they've lost something.
I don’t know any anymore
But I know what I’ve seen first hand up there when we have played and won
They hate us even more

Not helpful or contributing

Some people point out the brick that is thrown at Levy, e.g. in this thread
- Levy has too big an ego to use a DoF (the fudging guy brought the DoF concept to UK)
- Levy needs to learn from Pool re hiring Olympic quality medical staff (something we did over a decade ago)
- Three weeks ago, Everton was a better run club than us
- Three weeks ago, no manager would come take the job, now Conte isn't good enough
- Look at Pool, not dithering, need a CB -> go out and buy it, a few pages earlier when linked with players -> look at fudging Levy, buying players without the new managers buy in.
- X club built a stadium and didn't have same challenges (google search shows x club was given stadium for free by City/Government)

But hey, point that out and you are "pro-Levy" in a "cult of Levy" .. seriously?

There is more than enough legitimate critiques of ENIC/Levy to have a real discussion vs. sounding like a child "wah, wah, not enough spend, look at club x (without the slightest research)" and then claiming anyone with a different opinion is in a cult.

Re your example
- Scum chairman did not anticipate multi-use scenarios for the stadium as well as we did
- They got brick interest rates
- The real estate investment was timed wrong
- They hired an ex-player with zero managerial experience and have given him multiple years
- They spent £70M on fudging Pepe
- They brought in David Luis on huge wages
- They had the Ozil saga for how many years
- They gave a huge contract to a striker that is older than Bale
- They have finished below us now for 6 seasons in a row, failed to qualify for any form of Europe for first time in over two decades (and still haven't fired their manager)
- But someone will point out, "but, they won the FA cup the season before"

Yeah, if Levy did that, I'm quite sure he would get brick

Some of these arguments against Levy and ENIC are rubbish, but I think plenty of people have had a legitimate grievance with them and tried to come to the debate earnestly.

I'm genuinely interested in your view on this, because I like the way you bring the other side of it so well: If Levy brings back Pochettino, do you acknowledge that he made a massive mistake in 2019, or do you think it is a decision that absolutely had to be made?

I personally am genuinely interested in whether or not there was something about the financial situation of the club at the time that meant we couldn't sell players. Was it the stadium running over? Was it some other reason to do with our finances? Or did Levy genuinely believe that Poch lost the magic, that Jose would bring it back, and those players needed a new voice? Because I think it was such a huge, huge decision, with huge ramifications, that has led to the last two years, and honestly after being one of the biggest Levy defenders on here, it was the decision that shook my confidence in him completely.

Was it a mistake? Or do you think there was some reason why, at the time, it was the right thing to do, and there was no other route he could have taken? Because if we acknowledge the mistake, it leads me to wonder about the other mistakes Levy makes on the football side. I thought he really had it with Poch. He recognised he needed a man to build a culture, because we couldn't compete financially. He then seemingly let everything that made us great in those first 3-4 years drain away. It showed (unless there was some genuine financial reason, which I would love to understand and if there was, it would give me a lot of faith back in ENIC) that he didn't really 'get' why Poch worked. That he still viewed managers as miracle workers, rather than strategic appointments to leverage specific competitive advantages.

So, if we accept it was a bad mistake, it then leads me to believe he may have made other football mistakes, and that might be a reason why we have lacked trophies. I understand a lot of the good ENIC have done; his negotiation stance, the ability to run the club sustainably, the £60 ticket prices...it all means that we can probably secure really attractive loans from the banks which other clubs can't, and that means we will always be able to spend our way back to a top 6 position if we find ourselves slipping. I get that. I get why he does it. But do you accept there is anything else he could have done to maybe have us be slightly more successful on the football side?

If I think of it as a dial, and on one side we have 'doing a Leeds', spending with reckless abandon in the home of instant success from borrowed money. And on the other side we have ENIC's financial conservatism, is there any way we could have gotten that dial in the middle? Is there any way we could have made the right move here or there, in order to increase our chances of having a handful of trophies over their reign more than we have? Because if sacking Poch was a mistake (leading to pay offs for Poch, Jose wages, Poch comp etc etc), maybe there were other mistakes? Maybe we could have not signed Nelsen and Saha, but got a proven player in to fight for the title? Maybe we could have got Moutinho? Maybe we could have got Dybala? Maybe we could have made a 1000 other decisions about players or strategy differently, in order to still be sustainable as a club, but increase the chances of success.

Do you accept that my last sentence may be possible? Because if you do, I think that's all a bunch of people are saying. There is a strand of people that want new owners because a group with a bigger balance sheet and the stomach for the level of investment it will take to make us a global tier 1 club would help us get there quicker would be nice. And there is a strand of people that want Levy / ENIC to make better decisions that lead to footballing success. Personally, if we get Poch back, I will take it as a sign lessons have been learnt, the club is strategically aligned again and we know what we are doing, and I'll be happy to support ENIC in their efforts to build the club sustainably. But the last two years really threw me - it looked like people who didn't understand football making wild decisions that weren't likely to succeed, and I think given that, it is fair to wonder what other football decisions that have been taken that lowered our chances of trophies.

Some of these arguments against Levy and ENIC are rubbish, but I think plenty of people have had a legitimate grievance with them and tried to come to the debate earnestly.

I'm genuinely interested in your view on this, because I like the way you bring the other side of it so well: If Levy brings back Pochettino, do you acknowledge that he made a massive mistake in 2019, or do you think it is a decision that absolutely had to be made?

I personally am genuinely interested in whether or not there was something about the financial situation of the club at the time that meant we couldn't sell players. Was it the stadium running over? Was it some other reason to do with our finances? Or did Levy genuinely believe that Poch lost the magic, that Jose would bring it back, and those players needed a new voice? Because I think it was such a huge, huge decision, with huge ramifications, that has led to the last two years, and honestly after being one of the biggest Levy defenders on here, it was the decision that shook my confidence in him completely.

Was it a mistake? Or do you think there was some reason why, at the time, it was the right thing to do, and there was no other route he could have taken? Because if we acknowledge the mistake, it leads me to wonder about the other mistakes Levy makes on the football side. I thought he really had it with Poch. He recognised he needed a man to build a culture, because we couldn't compete financially. He then seemingly let everything that made us great in those first 3-4 years drain away. It showed (unless there was some genuine financial reason, which I would love to understand and if there was, it would give me a lot of faith back in ENIC) that he didn't really 'get' why Poch worked. That he still viewed managers as miracle workers, rather than strategic appointments to leverage specific competitive advantages.

So, if we accept it was a bad mistake, it then leads me to believe he may have made other football mistakes, and that might be a reason why we have lacked trophies. I understand a lot of the good ENIC have done; his negotiation stance, the ability to run the club sustainably, the £60 ticket prices...it all means that we can probably secure really attractive loans from the banks which other clubs can't, and that means we will always be able to spend our way back to a top 6 position if we find ourselves slipping. I get that. I get why he does it. But do you accept there is anything else he could have done to maybe have us be slightly more successful on the football side?

If I think of it as a dial, and on one side we have 'doing a Leeds', spending with reckless abandon in the home of instant success from borrowed money. And on the other side we have ENIC's financial conservatism, is there any way we could have gotten that dial in the middle? Is there any way we could have made the right move here or there, in order to increase our chances of having a handful of trophies over their reign more than we have? Because if sacking Poch was a mistake (leading to pay offs for Poch, Jose wages, Poch comp etc etc), maybe there were other mistakes? Maybe we could have not signed Nelsen and Saha, but got a proven player in to fight for the title? Maybe we could have got Moutinho? Maybe we could have got Dybala? Maybe we could have made a 1000 other decisions about players or strategy differently, in order to still be sustainable as a club, but increase the chances of success.

Do you accept that my last sentence may be possible? Because if you do, I think that's all a bunch of people are saying. There is a strand of people that want new owners because a group with a bigger balance sheet and the stomach for the level of investment it will take to make us a global tier 1 club would help us get there quicker would be nice. And there is a strand of people that want Levy / ENIC to make better decisions that lead to footballing success. Personally, if we get Poch back, I will take it as a sign lessons have been learnt, the club is strategically aligned again and we know what we are doing, and I'll be happy to support ENIC in their efforts to build the club sustainably. But the last two years really threw me - it looked like people who didn't understand football making wild decisions that weren't likely to succeed, and I think given that, it is fair to wonder what other football decisions that have been taken that lowered our chances of trophies.

How much investment do you think it would take, to buy the club and get in players that would have us challenging? Who would have that amount (saudis are not an option)?

How much investment do you think it would take, to buy the club and get in players that would have us challenging? Who would have that amount (saudis are not an option)?

To answer your question directly, there must be a tech billionaire. Or a consortium. Or we do what Atletico Madrid did, which seemingly is offer HNW’s (eg Carlos Slim) the opportunity to help finance club business. There’s creative things we can do, and I’m interested in challenging the idea that the ENIC decisions were perfect or infallible, or the only way we could have maintained our position in the top 6 and not done a Leeds.

But really my point is, do we accept that if one side of the dial is do a Leeds, and the other side is ‘do a Levy’...is there another way, whereby if we turned the dial in a couple of notches, we may have made better decisions, taken a smidge more risk, and won some trophies?

I’m not in this moment advocating for ENIC to sell (frankly, if they bring Poch back and allow him to build the club in his image with the assurances he needs, they have my full support again). What I’m asking is could they have done better in key moments. Take for example not signing Moutinho. For all intents and purposes, a player that would have made AVB’s system really tick. Why did we not get it done? I can see arguments that maybe being seen to walk away from deals means that we get bette prices over the long term and that helps us run sustainably. I see an argument that maybe Moutinho would have only served AVB and maybe not the next manager, because maybe he wasn’t versatile enough.

But...why not sign him? Would we have done a Leeds? Would the next man really not have been able to use him? Maybe we would have gotten CL under AVB? We’re the third party rights really too difficult? Like...no one can convince me some of these deals were too rich when we are willing to do 30m on Sissoko. Again, maybe Sissoko is seen as versatile, so a better investment. But this means not backing a manager, and it means that manager will bat at par at best rather than over achieve like we need them to.

So I’m just interested in this idea, that if we accept sacking Poch was a mistake that fingers massively crossed will soon be rectified, what other bad football decisions have they made? I just want to debate the idea that the only decisions to be taken to keep the club sustainable were the ones they took, and we couldn’t possibly have won any more trophies by showing a little more trust in the football people we hired or doing things in an ever so slightly different way...turning the dial in only a couple of notches.

I want to see Spurs be successful and wouldn't be against other owners if they run the football side of things better and brought success that way, but I'm not that desperate for trophies that i want us to be an oil states play thing

See I don't get this play thing idea either, I respect your opinion ... but surely this is looking like a levy enic investment thing which is just as bad?

I think I just want owners who are ambitious on the pitch not just ones to be proud of a P&L.

Lol. You realise what the abu dhabi royal family get up to? Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan city's real owner once kicked a man to death. They also buy children from bangladesh (some as young as 2) and starve them in order to be camel jockeys. Many of whom die each year. One was tortured with a cattle prod because he stole dates from the camels because he was so hungry. Their humans rights abuses are numerous. But we can forget all that, if they buy us a trophy.

I think the point I was making was someone ambitious enough, obviously without all of that baggage that you have mentioned.

Who's arguing mistakes haven't been made over the years?
The question is are the balance of decisions in the positive or negative?

Form The Cult of Levy it's definitely the positive.

For myself it's a mixture of the two but I lean towards the negative.

See I don't get this play thing idea either, I respect your opinion ... but surely this is looking like a levy enic investment thing which is just as bad?

I think I just want owners who are ambitious on the pitch not just ones to be proud of a P&L.

P&L?

See i think Levy is ambitious, i just think that the stadium trumped the team whilst it was still an unknown cost - which is understandable, imo. As i keep saying on this subject, since the stadium has been established and costs known, we've invested heavily in the team and appointed Mourinho - you don't do those things if you aren't trying to achieve something. I know we didn't buy him the CB he wanted but we still operate within our own constraints so with lots of rebuilding to do not everything got hit in 2 windows - again this is understandable, imo.

In my mind it's always been, build the stadium > increase revenue > compete at the top, as an over riding long term plan - first two are in, you could even argue we were doing the final part before completing the first 2.

A point i often come back to is imagine if Pochettinos team that finished 2nd in 16/17 done so in 18/19 instead and we could give the manager 160m over the next 2 summers to take that performance and go from strength to strength - that's the position we'll be in next time

The question is are the balance of decisions in the positive or negative?

Form The Cult of Levy it's definitely the positive.

For myself it's a mixture of the two but I lean towards the negative.

That's not what Brain of Levy was saying, which is what i responding to.

We've regressed over 3-4 years so obviously the balance has been off

Who's arguing mistakes haven't been made over the years?

Unfortunately, having brickloads of money doesn't prevent mistakes. It just increases the magnitude, and allows for bigger mistakes. And also quicker attempts of rectification, of course.

I think only a fool expects foolproof business. Mistakes happen, and will happen. I agree that most of Levy's mistakes has been to err on the side of caution, and that it has cost us quite a bit. Still, I think the positives outweighs the negatives by a margin.

However, now is the time to be bold, bald and brazen in this business!

We're going to come out of this Covid-thing, people are going to be desperate for matchdays, NFL, live events, beer and burgers! Now is the time to gather up all the planned live events at the New Lane, stack'em, pack'em, and rack'em. And plow maximum possible revenue from that straight into the playing squad.

Brexit impacted on the stadium cost
The ramp up in construction materials from around the vote has continued with us still suffering issues made worse by Covid
That would not have been a foreseen cost
The stadium wasn’t built on a fixed price contract as no one would do it that way. That meant every package was procured individually to build it and was riven by the requirements and the market at that point
The over run on the ground was a rooster up, either in planning, the works or both. That cost us money again which won’t have been planned for but was paid for.
These had a huge impact on who and what we brought at the time
If you plan to spend £500m but the market changes very very quickly (which it did despite what indices I’m sure someone will pull out) it’s going to side you change how you balance you risk view on your money allocated for other things I’d assume.
There are 1000 players we would have, could have and should have brought. But for whatever reasons we didn’t. Invariably it was either we cousins afford that deal alongside others, the wages were more than we could at the time, or of course the manager didn’t want that player. It happens. When we get it right it’s great. When we don’t it’s crap
We’re not unique as a club in that I’m sure you will agree
Would a rich benefactor make the money issues easier... 100%. I’m sure ENIC would sell too of an offer came in that they were happy with. But as I’ve said loads it’s not likely for the value they vs the the debt we have and other clubs prices being much much lower with huge growth scope too (even if their not Spurs)
So IMO ENIC wing going away. We will spend what we have as they don’t need the profits for other investments and we will sell players too. The model we have seen since the ground will continue I believe and that’s all that will happen

Wouldn't mind seeing something like the red bull set up (not red bull). Having a few teams around the world called blah blah Hotspur, maybe even an nfl franchise in london. Managers and players progressing through teams till they come to us.

Maybe an israeli consortium who don't want the abu dhabis and qataris outdoing them.

Lol it's nice to dream.

Poch leaving hurt as almost as much as when hoddle did as a player.
I think it was something that needed to happen for everyones benefit, for all sorts of reasons.
What stops it being a mistake is that they parted on reasonable terms, no acrimony, no burning of bridges. A trial separation instead of a divorce.
Turns out they can't live without each other.
The grass isn't greener for poch, the big clubs don't care about your dreams and principles.
That sexy neighbour that you've dream about since you were a kid isn't actually all that now Danny has grown up.
Maybe it's too early to return, maybe not, but as it was always going to happen it might be better getting it out the way early.

Good post mate. One question you've asked a couple of times is whether sacking Poch in 2019 was wrong? And is bringing him back an admission that it was the wrong decision?

I'd have given him to the end of that season personally out of loyalty but I had no faith he could turn it around. He looked like a broken man. He was making strange noises. In the cold light of day, stripping away all sentiment, I think Levy was right to let him go at that point. The performances against Munich and Brighton were not Poch performances. There were many more in that last 12 months. But I place more responsibility on Levy for that than Poch. We broke him by watching him repeat miracles year after year, not backing him and expecting him to do the same thing again. By not backing him, Levy broke Poch to the point that there had to be a parting of ways. I don't blame Levy for the decision, I blame him for creating the conditions that meant the decision had to be made.

I'm thrilled Poch could be coming back. I really hope everyone has learned a hard lesson from this and we are aligned in the way you talk about. If Poch comes back, it has to be a long term thing. No one can afford this to blow up in our faces within a couple of years.

I think people have legitimate grievance with them (and those are justified), I would argue either they are not debating the points well or are too easily pulled into media narratives (which frustrates me more, go after Levy/ENIC, but don't take a flimflam narrative against our club and keep repeating it). e.g. The club has no ambition, clearly not true, you don't build the infrastructure we have due to no ambition, you don't hire Jose (even if it's a bad decision) due to no ambition, you don't fire managers who don't get you CL due to no ambition (may be unrealistic expectations but not lack of ambition)

The stadium was an unbelievably complicated project that I think very few people will ever really appreciate, the decade of planning/approval then the changes of scope (include NFL), the work done (I know they did site visits of stadiums all over the world to compare, got ideas). The timing is a good & bad, the bad was the best team in recent memory pretty much peaking when we had to be away in Wembley, Brexit with cost implications, delays leading to it not being one season out but almost two. The good, it's funded on the lowest interest rates ever and most importantly it's done, with Covid and the financial implications, if it wasn't started/finished, it probably would be pushed off for years.

I could go through you list and debate point by point but to make it simple as @billyiddo said -> yes they have been mistakes, many, I don't think anyone believes otherwise (and this is the crux of this whole thread, a few people see this as @Junior19, i.e. a balance of those mistakes (and no club is without them), as you have said with your dial reference, does the current ownership do/have done more to benefit or not, and a few lean towards the positive a few lean towards the negative.

What is massively frustrating is not that, it's the people (here, Reddit, twitter, all social media) who will literally take anything, a player leaving/staying, us getting a player, us not getting a player, the manager situation, any random internet rumour and translating that somehow into = see, bald man bad, fudge Levy, especially when it's something that has been addressed previously.

The player conversation is always more nuanced than people would admit, yes we could have spent more, arguably we should have spent more but for every Bruno Fernandes & Dias there are a dozen like Hazard (to Madrid), Fred, Sanchez (to United), take your pick at Chelsea, we have spent a lot of money on Sanchez, we spent money on Soldado, we have spent a lot of money on Ndombele (that may work out)

Poch like the player conversation is nuanced, the timing/stadium delays hurt him directly (probably fund availability, and the points/games being at home would have pushed us that little further), he also didn't help himself (the book, the stupid pre CL final comments, what looked like frustration/burnout being publicly visible, his apparent hesitancy with taking players), and I believe Levy was distracted by the stadium and that impacted the refresh (easy example of allowing Eriksen to run down contract, I believe without stadium it would never have happened), do I believe in the end it was a mistake to fire him = no. The things that led to the situation were mistakes, but with players no longer giving a fudge (something that has continued), results not improving, Poch seeming to not be "all up for the fight", historical evidence that shows these slumps don't fix themselves, it was the logical thing to do.

And again, for those who want to have a real discussion, let's assume Poch is at least considering returning?

- Your response and others have been = see, Levy is a fudge up, should never have fired Poch in the first place
- Do you not see how well Spurs must actually be run for a manger at PSG to even consider leaving them for fudging Spurs? this is Poch's moment, he's made the step into the elite clubs, won two trophies, his next step should be Madrid/United, if he's even considering Spurs, then a lot of the assumptions made re Levy/ENIC simply cannot be true.

Back