• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I think you do Levys work on our finances a disservice to be honest. Im not sure another chairman would be able to get is as many £££ as he does with the club as it stands (and stood, dont forget we were midtable medocre when he took over)

I think you are misreading my position as being critical. I think Levy has done an excellent job on the financial front, but I won't overstate what he has done. We have been among the top 20 richest clubs in the world since the mid 90s (and I assume before). Levy has successfully moved us a few places up the list and our football has improved to where it should be. Many chairmen could have done a lot worse with the finances, such as Leeds and Saudi Sportswashing Machine who were ahead of us at times.

Yes, the CL distorted things a bit and I mentioned that, but it mainly meant United, Arsenal and Liverpool extended their gap over us. It briefly gave Leeds and Saudi Sportswashing Machine a jump over us as well, but we can't credit Levy for overtaking them. We can use them as examples as to why Levy's caution makes him a good chairman and one of the best.

However, I won't be calling him a great chairman until the stadium is delivered and has impacted our on field performance.

"A club of our revenues..." How much of those revenues do we have Levy to thank for? We have the smallest stadium in the top 7 by a distance.

Which suggests to me Levy has managed to create a product that can drive high ticket prices
He has arranged lucrative sponsorships
He has maximised profit through strict regulation of our finances (such as the dreaded wage cap...)

All in all, personally, I think Levy played (plays?) a huge part in our high revenues - Im not sure they would be such without his input over the last decade.

Said in small ways what took me ages to try and convey

i think there is a good chance that we could have possibly been established in the top 4 by now under Levy's guidance had it not been for Abramovich and more recently Sheik Mansour coming in at their respective clubs and had that been the case then i would imagine we could also possibly have been further along with our stadium plans than we currently are.

i think it is unfair for those posters who criticize Levy for not making good on his '5 year plan' for regular ECL qualification or for taking so long to find a solution to the stadium issue when taking the above in to account - had he taken over with Chelsea and City as they are now then im sure he would have been a little more conservative with his time frame for success and maybe some of you would be a little more patient.

i don't think you can under estimate how much we have been fudged over by the change in football financing over the past few years, a lot of people (outside of Spurs) tend to think it is Arsenal that have suffered the most but without trying to be a rose tinted poster for a minute i fail to see how them potentially missing out on a few titles is as bad as us potentially missing out on a chance to establish ourselves as a regular top 4 side - it is a much bigger loss for us in the wider scheme of things and a loss that has to be taken in to account when evaluating Levy's time here

Last edited:
i think there is a good chance that we could have possibly been established in the top 4 by now under Levy's guidance had it not been for Abramovich and more recently Sheik Mansour coming in at their respective clubs and had that been the case then i would imagine we could also possibly have been further along with our stadium plans than we currently are.

i think it is unfair for those posters who criticize Levy for not making good on his '5 year plan' for regular ECL qualification or for taking so long to find a solution to the stadium issue when taking the above in to account - had he taken over with Chelsea and City as they are now then im sure he would have been a little more conservative with his time frame for success and maybe some of you would be a little more patient.

i don't think you can under estimate how much we have been fudged over by the change in football financing over the past few years, a lot of people (outside of Spurs) tend to think it is Arsenal that have suffered the most but without trying to be a rose tinted poster for a minute i fail to see how them potentially missing out on a few titles is as bad as us potentially missing out on a chance to establish ourselves as a regular top 4 side - it is a much bigger loss for us in the wider scheme of things and a loss that has to be taken in to account when evaluating Levy's time here

Very good point.

Good post.

I don't think you can under estimate how much we have been fudged over by the change in football financing over the past few years, a lot of people (outside of Spurs) tend to think it is Arsenal that have suffered the most but without trying to be a rose tinted poster for a minute i fail to see how them potentially missing out on a few titles is as bad as us potentially missing out on a chance to establish ourselves as a regular top 4 side - it is a much bigger loss for us in the wider scheme of things and a loss that has to be taken in to account when evaluating Levy's time here

As I mentioned previously I think Arsenals plan is a work in progress and agree with what you are saying 100%. I think we are at the very start of that plan with the stadium being a huge part of the jigsaw

tickle my balls with a feather.

Fantastic post.

Written before the NLD, but what the heck:

Daniel Levy's genius has given Spurs a chance to finally rein in rivals Arsenal

Should Tottenham Hotspur win at the Emirates the visiting support ought to consider reworking one of their rivals' slogans and unveiling a banner in tribute to their chairman reading "Daniel knows".

Mr Levy is not universally popular within or without the club, few chairmen are, but the job he has done at White Hart Lane is remarkable.

Today Arsenal will bank around £5m in matchday income. When Spurs host the fixture in March they will take less than half that. Next week Arsenal play in the lucrative Champions League, as usual, while Spurs, as usual, compete in the much less rewarding Europa League.

These two factors, stadium earnings and (aside from Spurs' memorable 2010-11 Champions League campaign) contrasting European competition, are the reasons Arsenal ought to finish ahead of Tottenham this season, as they have done every year since 1995 – before Arsène Wenger arrived at Highbury.

Back then, there was little between the clubs financially. In 1995-96, Arsenal came fifth, averaged 37,578 at the gate, had a £21m turnover on which they made a £3.6m pre-tax loss after paying £10m in wages. Spurs were eighth, averaged 30,510, had a £27m turnover (from a 14-month accounting period) on which they made a £2.9m pre-tax profit after paying £11.4m in wages. At the time Alan Sugar, their chairman, raged at the rising wage bill.

That now seems a bygone age, when footballers only had one or two cars. Tottenham's latest accounts (2010-11) revealed a wage bill of £91m. But turnover was up to £163m enabling Levy to turn a £32m profit before spending £20m net on players. However, that included Champions League income. Spurs normally turn over around £120m. Arsenal's income since moving to the Emirates has averaged around £225m.

What is remarkable about Spurs is the cash Levy has made available to successive managers despite having the smallest stadium of the world's top 20 clubs (as ranked by Forbes). Since he became chairman in February 2001, his managers have spent a net £220m (£190m more than Wenger) despite Levy's preference for buying players with a view to their sell-on potential rather than those at the peak of their powers. Tottenham have also built a new training ground at a net cost, once the old one is sold, of approximately £30m. This should further enhance a youth development programme that, after years of failure, is now producing first-team players with graduates Jake Livermore and Steven Caulker capped by England this season. In addition, the club have found an estimated £80m-90m to purchase land and cover other expenses in preparation for the new stadium Tottenham need to compete with the best in the long-term.

The finance for these projects and transfer purchases has been realised through a combination of high ticket prices, wage restraint, hard bargaining in transfer negotiations and a good commercial performance. Levy has also used the prospect of moving to the Olympic Stadium, and the Tottenham riots, to leverage significant public grants to reduce the new stadium's expense.

Like Arsenal, Tottenham are well placed to meet the challenges of Uefa's Financial Fair Play (if it is ever applied in earnest) and any similar domestic controls (if they are ever agreed). However, like Arsenal, economic prudence has not been rewarded with silverware. Spurs have at least won a trophy in the past seven years, but the League Cup, in 2008, did not keep Juande Ramos in a job for long.

Arsenal have, of course, been constrained by the cost of building their own new stadium. Nevertheless, the huge income it brings, and Wenger's parsimony in the transfer market, has enabled them to outstrip Tottenham's wage bill by an average £40m each season. In football there is a very strong correlation between wages and finishing positions and it has applied in north London as much as anywhere. The last Spurs manager to finish above Arsenal was Gerry Francis. Then Wenger appeared. He has since seen off eight counterparts.

Spurs are, though, getting very close to bridging the gap, finishing one place behind Arsenal in five of the last seven seasons. They will kick off today a point ahead of the Gunners. Andre Villas-Boas' target, though, is not beating Arsenal, it is fourth place and reaching the Champions League. Asked this week if that was a realistic aim the manager, left, said: "We have to." To do so at Arsenal's expense, ending their unbroken 15- year run in the competition, would be sweet indeed for Chairman Levy.

Good neighbours: Spurs’ spending

* Net spending since Daniel Levy became chairman of Tottenham:

Arsenal season Tottenham

£21.5m 2001-02 £16.1m

-£0.1m 2002-03 £8.1m

£37.3m 2003-04 £24.6m

£7.1m 2004-05 £32.2m

£18.5m 2005-06 £12.2m

-£0.8m 2006-07 £19.7m

-£22.7m 2007-08 £62.7m

£12.6m 2008-09 £46.2m

-£31.5m 2009-10 £7.5m

£12.1m 2010-11 £20.4m

-£11.9m 2011-12 -£30.6m

-£11.9m 2012-13 £0.5m

£30.2m TOTAL £219.6m

Source: transfermarkt.co.uk

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/daniel-levys-genius-has-given-spurs-a-chance-to-finally-rein-in-rivals-arsenal-8324093.html

With the transfer window opening it seems like a good time to bump the Levy thread :)

The man deserves some real credit for how our club are doing, including his good work in the transfer market.

Was just thinking how some other clubs are facing a nervous January, to some extent of their own making. Saudi Sportswashing Machine with Ba, Arsenal with Walcott (following many similar situations in recent years) and West Ham with Diame. Saudi Sportswashing Machine and West Ham both signed players with very low release clauses, they both developed into key players for them and now it seems likely that they will lose the players for very small fees. Not deals Levy would have made I think, something to think about the next time someone in frustration states "just give him what he wants Levy, for fudges sake!".

Walcott is another one, slightly different situation. In my eyes this is partly caused by Arsenal offering even young players massive wages. Walcott is reportedly on £90k a week or something like that. Obviously offering him the improved contract he feels he deserves will cost massive amounts. Compare this to us signing Modric or Bale who were on fairly low wages. After a couple of seasons with us both players signed new contracts, Modric even signed a 6 year deal. Undoubtedly both players got significant wage bumps for signing, but we also got the extended contracts. Still neither player were on as much as Walcott reportedly is on already at this stage in his career. Another thing to think about imo when a deal Levy does drags on and people can't understand why we can't just offer the £60-70k p/w the player wants, not just the immediate cost to consider.

We're currently competing with clubs with much larger budgets than ourselves, and we as fans have come to expect that we compete at this level. We've done so while making the long term investment of a state of the art training centre, and while spending money on the even bigger long term investment that is the stadium. We really can't afford many slip ups in the transfer market, a Campbell or Rebrov situation could set us back years - the ripple effects could last even longer. We must make the clever signings, we must get good value on as many deals as possible, it's the only way we can keep competing while we wait for the stadium project to be completed.

Walcott signed for Arsenal in '06, Bale for us in '07. I doubt anyone would argue that Bale isn't the better player, yet we have him on lower wages and a contract that will run for another 3 years come the summer (I think), while Walcott is now in the last half a season of his. This, although just one example, to me isn't a coincidence, and these long term effects of making the good deals while waiting to sign another day when a good deal isn't there to be made seems to me to be key to our continued success and development as a club.

Levy has done well, but one league cup in 12 years isn't exceptional.

We'd have been better off with an Abrahamovic or Mansour, we've slipped in the London pecking order to 3rd under ENIC which hurts. Still a lot of good has happened, a lot of excellent football played, some class players signed, but we need trophies.

Levy has done well, but one league cup in 12 years isn't exceptional.

We'd have been better off with an Abrahamovic or Mansour, we've slipped in the London pecking order to 3rd under ENIC which hurts. Still a lot of good has happened, a lot of excellent football played, some class players signed, but we need trophies.

Erm, before last season we hadn't finished above Chelsea since 95/96.

Another big window for Levy in my opinion. He didn't back AVB fully in the last window. In all honesty, we don't need that much, 1 or 2 players.

Back