• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

I was under the impression that most people on this forum and most Spurs fans in general like him. I don't know many Spurs fans who are unhappy with him on the whole.

There are a few idiots around where i sit at the Lane who do nothing but slag him off, brain dead macarons everyone of them.

The people who question Levy's overall performance are, IMHO, Playstation/football manager addicts who don't live in a world where context and consequences count.

Has he made some errors in his time? Certainly. Has he learned from then? I think so, generally, yes.

I would currently have no other chairman in the premiership at our club; I think the bloke's doing a great job overall...

I knew this thread would be bumped up when I awoke this morning - the subsequent replies indicate the monumental sensitivity around his name every time that is mentioned on this board in any given thread.

What many have falsely assumed furhter up in the subsequent replies and resorted to petty name calling of posters who 'supposedly' don't share their absolutist opinion - is the fact - very, very few on here actually hate Levy or think he's a terrible manager. The questions often raised around him revolve around our transfer policy / approach more than anytning, and not a single post (in my entire existence on GG) has called for his head except for one poster who's thinks he should go if AVB fails

There are many valid questions which can be raised, especially out of the last few months, which would result (hopefully) in great discussions and debates on here - something which is sadly not possible as proven in the last 10-odd posts

Last edited:
Spot on arc. Didn't ya know though that unless you agree with certain posters your opinion is wrong! Jokers.

I am building up a rather long post for Septmeber 1st which would hopefully spark off great discussions around Levy, our transfers outlook, Arry/AVB's castle move, long-term future, past precedents, etc. sadly I fear it would be degraded within 2 pages into vitrol and subequently locked. Do come around however

I am building up a rather long post for Septmeber 1st which would hopefully spark off great discussions around Levy, our transfers outlook, Arry/AVB's castle move, long-term future, past precedents, etc. sadly I fear it would be degraded within 2 pages into vitrol and subequently locked. Do come around however

I'm always ready for great discussion and debate.

If Levy fails to bring in the players AVB wants this window, and Spurs have a disappointing season overall, i wonder how long Levy will be patient with AVB

no striker signed. VdV as false No.9. GB shoots his load and drenches AVB. we make champions league. simples.

One thing that puzzles me, why didn't he get rid of Redknapp earlier as it's clear he wanted to go in a different direction i.e. a younger manager? We've barely spent any money in the previous two seasons, and it cost us in the second half of both seasons. Not the only reason we stalled, but a big factor IMO.

Some will say because he "lacks conviction".

I think it likely he hadn't made up his mind to fire 'Arry. While we can safely assume it wasn't his ideal arrangement and there were tensions, and that he ultimately wanted a change with a more long-term plan, 'Arry was running the football side effectively and there was no need for immediate change. With the stadium plans developing, changing manager probably wasn't top of the agenda, so I suspect Levy would have been content for 'Arry to continue with a short contract extension or possibly a rolling one-year contract (like Fergie's?). The crucial moment would be when 'Arry demanded a three or four year contract and brought in Stretford.

We can also safely assume that Levy had been exploring manager options since last summer. The upcoming availability of the England job, 'Arry's trial and health, plus the uneasy relationship made it essential there was a ready plan. Levy knew AVB was available without the large payout needed last summer and had probably sounded him out while there was the England vacancy. So when 'Arry started playing hard ball, the choice for Levy was easy.

Of course, I don't know this. It just strikes me as more plausible than the more black and white positions that 'Arry was fired for not getting CL football or that he was going to get fired anyway because Levy wanted a change of direction.

One thing that puzzles me, why didn't he get rid of Redknapp earlier as it's clear he wanted to go in a different direction i.e. a younger manager? We've barely spent any money in the previous two seasons, and it cost us in the second half of both seasons. Not the only reason we stalled, but a big factor IMO.

I always wonder if Redknapp had a chance to play ball with Levy and didnt take it.

Ive long held the view that Redknapp and Levy were never ever on the same page with regards transfers. To save time - we all know what each looks for in a player - and its not the same thing!

I do believe this conflict/disagreement led to indecision in the market. With tales from Redknapp of how he passed up on Suarez as an example. "I could have had him, but..." Suarez went to pool for £22m iirc, and Redknapp could have had him. Clearly there are certain types of horse Levy will back.

I think if Redknapp took the policy on board and worked with it, he could have had more players in to improve the team.

I wonder if there was a sit down, where it was made clear to Redknapp - "last chance, this is how we want to work..." and he just didnt want to play ball.

I think Levy is one of the best in the game to be totally honest. He took over a ship at Spurs and in general has guided it above its means when you take into account the capacity of the stadium and therefore limited resources.

Most Chairman are judged (and I feel wrongly) on their transfer dealings alone. Sugar was constantly lynched for his perceived lack of squad investment but when you look at the club he took over and the one he left on a solid footing then I personally see Sugar as a successful chairman that ran a sound football club. Going back to Levy I feel he is actually a fine negotiator when it comes to transfers. Generally he gets the best fee’s for our players which is key to the financial future of the club. He also makes sure we don’t pay through the nose for talent both with fee’s and wages which is to be applauded in my opinion.

We don’t like to lose talent but sometimes that’s the name of the game and with Levy’s vision on how players should be purchased we have made millions on the likes of Carrick, Berbatov and what looks the same for Modric. Even recently we made a 4.5million profit on Pienaar.

I could go on all day for other reasons I think he is class but the gym calls

I always wonder if Redknapp had a chance to play ball with Levy and didnt take it.

Ive long held the view that Redknapp and Levy were never ever on the same page with regards transfers. To save time - we all know what each looks for in a player - and its not the same thing!

I do believe this conflict/disagreement led to indecision in the market. With tales from Redknapp of how he passed up on Suarez as an example. "I could have had him, but..." Suarez went to pool for £22m iirc, and Redknapp could have had him. Clearly there are certain types of horse Levy will back.

I think if Redknapp took the policy on board and worked with it, he could have had more players in to improve the team.

I wonder if there was a sit down, where it was made clear to Redknapp - "last chance, this is how we want to work..." and he just didnt want to play ball.

At a guess and looking at how Redknapp dealt in the past I think this could be the case.

Its one thing saying "we could have had Suarez" or "we lost out on Tevez" but whats probably failed to be mentioned is we missed out due to not wanting to skint ourselves out paying 100k a week wages.

I am sure Tottenham would be a differently run club if Redknapp was incharge of the cheque book and not Levy. Then that just leaves you walking into the sunset when you have skinted out a club saying "I won them the FA Cup and the club was nothing before I was there" ala Pompey

Its one thing saying "we could have had Suarez" or "we lost out on Tevez" but whats probably failed to be mentioned is we missed out due to not wanting to skint ourselves out paying 100k a week wages.

But 'Arry did say that was the case in just about all instances - i.e. we cannot afford those kind of wages

Don't forget to include that a 1 time CL appearance club in the past 10 years with a moderate 36k stadium has managed to spend over £200m in 10 years with not one iota of debt to its name (we now have land debt which is different due to stadium, but the value of that land is worth more than the debt so doesnt really count).

Then I'll look forward to your 'article' about how Levy has not spent many more millions to suit your opinion of him.

Is Levy a good Chairman? Yes. Is he a great Chairman? No.

He is one of the best in the Premiership in terms of sustaining a working business model alongside a moderately successful football club. But his business model will never make us a successful club unfortunately (and that isn't his fault, we just live in a world where football has become a Billionaire playground).

In terms of the footballing side of things, I don't think he is that good. In reality Jol to Ramos should have been his last chance saloon but it wasn't. This time, he definitely should be playing his final hand. If AVB doesn't work out then it's time the person at the top finally took some responsibility.

Sacking your best manager for the last 21 years because you don't like him personally and then replacing him with one who made himself look like a total fool at one of your rivals the previous season will either go down as one of the most brilliant Chairman decisions in history.......or one of the worst.

Is Levy a good Chairman? Yes. Is he a great Chairman? No.

He is one of the best in the Premiership in terms of sustaining a working business model alongside a moderately successful football club. But his business model will never make us a successful club unfortunately (and that isn't his fault, we just live in a world where football has become a Billionaire playground).

In terms of the footballing side of things, I don't think he is that good. In reality Jol to Ramos should have been his last chance saloon but it wasn't. This time, he definitely should be playing his final hand. If AVB doesn't work out then it's time the person at the top finally took some responsibility.

Sacking your best manager for the last 21 years because you don't like him personally and then replacing him with one who made himself look like a total fool at one of your rivals the previous season will either go down as one of the most brilliant Chairman decisions in history.......or one of the worst.

Agree with most of that. He is a good chairman, possibly very good, but not great. He has made too many football mistakes for the latter, although he can still redeem himself. If he delivers the new stadium and we are regulars in CL by 2020, then he could go down as a great chairman.

I disagree with the last paragraph. Its a huge assumption that he sacked Redknapp because they didn't get on. Like him or hate him, thats not the Levy we know. You'd have to assume that Levy has suddenly become emotional rather than hard-headed business man. Based on what we do know of Levy, Redknapp and Stretford, it seems much more probable that the issue was forced and Levy took the rational decision with the future in mind. That said, I'm sure he was happy to get rid of Redknapp, he was probably singing in the shower afterwards, but I find it hard to believe it was his prime motivation.

Agree with most of that. He is a good chairman, possibly very good, but not great. He has made too many football mistakes for the latter, although he can still redeem himself. If he delivers the new stadium and we are regulars in CL by 2020, then he could go down as a great chairman.

I disagree with the last paragraph. Its a huge assumption that he sacked Redknapp because they didn't get on. Like him or hate him, thats not the Levy we know. You'd have to assume that Levy has suddenly become emotional rather than hard-headed business man. Based on what we do know of Levy, Redknapp and Stretford, it seems much more probable that the issue was forced and Levy took the rational decision with the future in mind. That said, I'm sure he was happy to get rid of Redknapp, he was probably singing in the shower afterwards, but I find it hard to believe it was his prime motivation.

It's covering old ground and I don't want to get into it here but if it wasn't for personal reasons, then it was for footballing reasons and that makes the decision crazy.

It's covering old ground and I don't want to get into it here but if it wasn't for personal reasons, then it was for footballing reasons and that makes the decision crazy.

Depends on your idea. I think the template Levy has always wanted is a Head coach and a Director of Football above him. with signings to be mostly young so they can appreciate in value etc and unearth talent.

Redknapp goes against all those those Footballing principles that Levy has. And also he has a big Gob he cannot keep shut.

Back