• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

You do know WHY there were so many delays, right? You do know WHY the whole Stratford thing happened, right? Look, I am not an acolyte but your persistent trolling of both the man and this forum is forcing me to act like one simply in reaction!
Why is questioning the large rise in the cost of the stadium trolling? Surely that is a reasonable question?

Surely it is also right to question why money and time was spent pursuing a stadium the fans did not want and also had little chance of being fruitful.

You are right neither of us know the truth about Stratford, but I think it is fair to ask these questions particularly in the context of our spending. I believe more fans would if we had not been relatively successful.

Personally, I think that this has been a good window but far from perfect. But I cannot see any other club having a perfect window, and I think perfection, in our position, is impossible. I think everyone appreciates that it would be better to get players in early, but what if that is to the detriment of the total number of players that you can get? What if, as a result of us spending all our money, we miss out on a special player that suddenly became available later on in the window? Lots of ifs, buts and maybes, which is why I feel a far from perfect window, but a far from disastrous one as well. We've played our hand, and we have played it well.

To use West Ham as an example of a club doing their business early is incredulous. How much has it helped them getting their business done early? Would we want any of their players? We could, I am sure, secure those players early in the window if we wanted, but the fact is we want better.

We are in it for the long-term, not short term. We have a major infrastructure project that we need to fund, that not many other clubs need to. Why has the cost of the stadium spiralled? Because the design of the stadium is completely different! NFL, the single-tiered stand, the frontage, the newer facilities are all "changes" to the design that have made the stadium we are building far better than the original one that we saw.

Extreme austerity is an interesting way of explaining this window. Did we not secure Llorente over Chelsea because we were prepared to pay more? And Llorente is a winner. If you look at all of the purchases that we have made this window, they are all winners (except for the keeper). They will have the experience of grinding out results and that will only benefit our team. Kane will learn a shed load from Llorente. Extreme austerity wouldn't have meant that we spent a large portion of our budget on a young defender.

Could we take more risk and spend more? Yes, and sometimes I wish we would, but the fact is we are spending more money than the majority of other clubs when you take into account the stadium and training facilities. These things more than players are going to make more of a lasting difference to this great club than getting one more player. The fact that we can build such a stadium whilst still remaining competitive should be applauded not criticised.

I repeat, we are looking at the long-term not the short term. Each and every window there will be a missed opportunity, because that is the nature of the beast. BUT, we have proven that we are better in the transfer market than most.

On the NFL thing. I've got a mate who manages a private hospital. The company has the contract for medical support to NFL games here. He has been very positive about the facilities that we are building in the new ground and has spoken to me a little about some of the growth plans for the sport here. Their requirements are so explicit, that it will be very difficult for other grounds to compete with us to host games. My mate is a Chelsea fan and does not normally have a good word to say about us.

Edwards was picked against Gillingham in the league cup last season. Sadly he got injured shortly after that and wasn't available for the rest of the season. He didn't go on the pre-season tour because he hadn't signed a new contract and had only just come back from the the U19 Euros. I'd challenge you to find any comments from Poch that are anything but positive about Edwards.

You are ignoring the positives. You are ignoring that the approach to transfers that you are so critical of, is the approach that has built the best side in the country. You are ignoring that the club is backing Poch, he has far greater control over transfers than any other recent manager and have paid big money for players that he identified this summer.

Poch has had opportunities to put Edwards on the bench and hasn't. There was also stuff in the press about Edwards being offered a chance to go out on loan this season and Edwards turning it down. Neither of us know Poxh's plans for sure, I hope you're right and he gets his chance this year and the same with GKN.

If we can get those two going and Lamela back firing I will be a lot more optimistic. But they are three big ifs

Yes you're right I am partially ignoring our relative success, that is now history if we don't build on it and at least not fall back. It will have been worth less than you think.

If we continue in the same vein then fair enough - I will have been wrong.

Last edited:
Poch has had opportunities to put Edwards on the bench and hasn't. There was also stuff in the press about Edwards being offered a chance to go out on loan this season and Edwards turning it down. Neither of us know Poxh's plans for sure, I hope you're right and he gets his chance this year and the same with GKN.

Which games are you thinking of?

Yes you're right I am partially ignoring our relative success, that is now history if we don't build on it and at least not fall back. It will have been worth less than you think.

If we continue in the same vein then fair enough - I will have been wrong.

We have built on it. We have improved the best defence in the league and added a proven goalscorer to the best attack. I think that we all would've liked cover for Eriksen but there isn't an obvious player that we missed out on here and certainly not because we refused to spend. There seems to be a fair amount of consensus amongst fans that it was a 7/10 window, that seems about right to me. It is not clear to me that any of our direct rivals had a better one.

All the games he was fit.

So the first few games of this season? No manager is going to give a player their league debut in a title run it.

Realistically, we are not going to know where he is in the pecking order until the league cups games. I'd expect him to feature and if he takes his chance, will get included in match day squads.

Last edited:
Why is questioning the large rise in the cost of the stadium trolling? Surely that is a reasonable question?

Surely it is also right to question why money and time was spent pursuing a stadium the fans did not want and also had little chance of being fruitful.

You are right neither of us know the truth about Stratford, but I think it is fair to ask these questions particularly in the context of our spending. I believe more fans would if we had not been relatively successful.

A few people have been kind to you and not just ignored you as a troll/WUM (your posts can quite easily be interpreted that way), so I will give you a real response.

You are either ignoring out of ignorance or by purpose a large amount of the details re the stadium
- Our initial plans (which were for WHL, Strafford was 2nd option) had very little support from local council or London, none from transport authorities (were numerous ridiculous requests for Spurs to pay for multi million pound road/underground upgrades)
- The properties that required court orders (archway ring a bell?) for us to gain access to the additional land area to build the stadium on literally dragged on for years (even after Stratford decision was made)
- Strafford was a plan B and leverage to gain support for new WHL, and it worked. Why was it looked at? for that exact reason as well as it's simply due diligence from a business perspective (Levy would have been negligent if he didn't), additional;y while unpopular with a segment of our fans, no one in the club or you can dismiss an idea because "fans" (a non quantified statement) didn't like it
- Part of the cost changes were due to scope of project changing (NFL, multi-purpose facility and Levy pushing to make the stadium not only one of the best in world, but future proofed as well), and yes Brexit and time delays also add to cost.
- Chelsea has effectively unlimited budget, yet they have evaluated multiple sites, are taking many years and will actually spend more time in the build stage than Spurs

I wrote a post a while back on Levy and the trajectory of this club, I'm not going to go back in detail, but basically the last 36+ years at this club can be looked at like this

- Pre PL, pre Sugar decade where the club regularly got top 4, challenged for trophies (and won) them, was financially competitive
= Sugar decade where our results fell off a cliff (no top 4), financial troubles, and a catastrophic failure to take advantage of the PL & CL money era. This led to the creation of the Sky 4 and the massive gap between those clubs and all others.
- Levy era where it has taken us 12+ years to recover to levels similar to our re PL status (and exceed in terms of consistency), doing that while competing against financial doping of clubs, massive fiscal disadvantage as hangover of Sugar decade) and consistently improving club facilities, on pitch performances and club profile.

A few people have mentioned it, these are billion dollar decisions that very rarely are made as cavalierly as people claim/want/think and details matter, even a "couple extra million to get a deal done early"

When Levy took over, we were behind (or at best on equal footing) with clubs like Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Everton, Aston Villa, West Ham and leagues behind Liverpool & the Scum, we hadn't been to Europe in decades, in the next two months we will play in the CL against the biggest club in the world and 90K fans will be there to sing ... and people want to bitch still ...

A few people have been kind to you and not just ignored you as a troll/WUM (your posts can quite easily be interpreted that way), so I will give you a real response.

You are either ignoring out of ignorance or by purpose a large amount of the details re the stadium
- Our initial plans (which were for WHL, Strafford was 2nd option) had very little support from local council or London, none from transport authorities (were numerous ridiculous requests for Spurs to pay for multi million pound road/underground upgrades)
- The properties that required court orders (archway ring a bell?) for us to gain access to the additional land area to build the stadium on literally dragged on for years (even after Stratford decision was made)
- Strafford was a plan B and leverage to gain support for new WHL, and it worked. Why was it looked at? for that exact reason as well as it's simply due diligence from a business perspective (Levy would have been negligent if he didn't), additional;y while unpopular with a segment of our fans, no one in the club or you can dismiss an idea because "fans" (a non quantified statement) didn't like it
- Part of the cost changes were due to scope of project changing (NFL, multi-purpose facility and Levy pushing to make the stadium not only one of the best in world, but future proofed as well), and yes Brexit and time delays also add to cost.
- Chelsea has effectively unlimited budget, yet they have evaluated multiple sites, are taking many years and will actually spend more time in the build stage than Spurs

I wrote a post a while back on Levy and the trajectory of this club, I'm not going to go back in detail, but basically the last 36+ years at this club can be looked at like this

- Pre PL, pre Sugar decade where the club regularly got top 4, challenged for trophies (and won) them, was financially competitive
= Sugar decade where our results fell off a cliff (no top 4), financial troubles, and a catastrophic failure to take advantage of the PL & CL money era. This led to the creation of the Sky 4 and the massive gap between those clubs and all others.
- Levy era where it has taken us 12+ years to recover to levels similar to our re PL status (and exceed in terms of consistency), doing that while competing against financial doping of clubs, massive fiscal disadvantage as hangover of Sugar decade) and consistently improving club facilities, on pitch performances and club profile.

A few people have mentioned it, these are billion dollar decisions that very rarely are made as cavalierly as peoplellclaim/want/think and details matter, even a "couple extra million to get a deal done early"

When Levy took over, we were behind (or at best on equal footing) with clubs like Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Everton, Aston Villa, West Ham and leagues behind Liverpool & the Scum, we hadn't been to Europe in decades, in the next two months we will play in the CL against the biggest club in the world and 90K fans will be there to sing ... and people want to bitch still ...
I will respond further.

Bt for now I have not ignored the NFL link.
I have questioned the wisdom of it, as has been pointed out by professionals it is a huge gamble. Why is it an automatic given that it is the right thing to do? You have given nothing to back that up. How much is it costing, how much do we hope to get in,or can reasonably expect to? Yes Levy is hands down better than Sugar and wait for it: Has done a reasonable job. I don't see why that should preclude him from examination and criticism.

We have built on it. We have improved the best defence in the league and added a proven goalscorer to the best attack. I think that we all would've liked cover for Eriksen but there isn't an obvious player that we missed out on here and certainly not because we refused to spend. There seems to be a fair amount of consensus amongst fans that it was a 7/10 window, that seems about right to me. It is not clear to me that any of our direct rivals had a better one.

we cannot say that yet. Sanchez, Aurier and Foyth are unproven in the PL. Aurier comes with an interesting past, Sanchez is only 21 and has shown his worth for the biggest club in the Dutch league for only 1 season. Foyth has little first team experience.

Why is questioning the large rise in the cost of the stadium trolling? Surely that is a reasonable question?[/B]

Because irrespective of the rise in the cost, irrespective of who we sign or how much we pay, we have no control or interest in the matter. We are customers , nothing more or nothing less and the only person Daniel Levy is accountable to for any of this is Joe Lewis( Not his uncle btw). Were the club owned by the fans like Barcelona it would be a different matter, but it is not and therefore Daniel has no accountability to you me or anyone else besides Joe.

we cannot say that yet. Sanchez, Aurier and Foyth are unproven in the PL. Aurier comes with an interesting past, Sanchez is only 21 and has shown his worth for the biggest club in the Dutch league for only 1 season. Foyth has little first team experience.

We've got problems if Sanchez features less than Wimmer.

I will respond further.

Bt for now I have not ignored the NFL link.
I have questioned the wisdom of it, as has been pointed out by professionals it is a huge gamble. Why is it an automatic given that it is the right thing to do? You have given nothing to back that up. How much is it costing, how much do we hope to get in,or can reasonably expect to? Yes Levy is hands down better than Sugar and wait for it: Has done a reasonable job. I don't see why that should preclude him from examination and criticism.

I've missed this. Which professionals have questioned it?

Back