• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Exactly - no one is saying we should spend mega millions. But actually our current policy is extreme austerity. We have the lowest nett spend in the PL.

There is plenty of room between the madness of City and Utd and the extreme. austerity of us.

Yep in more then one walk of life.

I also feel we would not over pay for players if we went early as it seems no one else put big bids in for our players apart from Llorente.

Everything is relative - we have a zero nett spend over the last 5 years. Compared to every other PL club that is extreme austerity.
Perhaps we are pushing our luck if we think we Poch can continue to over perform .

Shouldn't building the best team in the league for zero outlay be celebrated? Isn't living within your means be something that all clubs should aspire to rather than relying on a benefactor to try and buy you success? In almost any other trade, every other club in the league would be under heavy criticism for spending more and getting far less.

Last edited:
Exactly - no one is saying we should spend mega millions. But actually our current policy is extreme austerity. We have the lowest nett spend in the PL.

There is plenty of room between the madness of City and Utd and the extreme. austerity of us.
It's not the austerity in our transfer business that's the problem. It's our wage structure. Anyone who would cost a princely sum would have equivalent wage demands. THAT is the main reason we don't spend crazy money on transfers. I don't think we would have a problem spending £50+ million on a player, if we could get him in on £50-60K/week, but that's not happening.

Last edited:
One thing people are missing is we have strengthened the BEST defence in the league (Aurier is a great player and Sanchez was outstanding last season and will be better than wimmer was) and we have arguably strengthened the BEST attack too (a genuine back up/alternative striker who has scored at this level )

People forget we scored the most and conceded the least last season and was right up there the previous one

Other teams are plugging holes to catch up and some have done well (west brim have done really well and united have improved along with city) and you get sides that have basically tried to replace what the lost (Chelsea) with unproven talent or sides addingin areas of strength (Arsenal and Liverpool)

We still won't win the league but the league isn't won after 3 games as we saw last year with Chelsea who coincidentally made their key signings on the mast day too (sideshow and alonso)

You have said that earlier and again i say its rubbish.

In fairness to him our net spend on transfer fees since 2009 is negative, and I'm sure the lowest in the league. Including a roughly 0 net spend this window.

So what specifically do you disagree with?

When did extreme austerity become a not spending recklessly and accumulating debt? It's the economics of a bearded Arsenal supporter still fighting 1970s battles.

Given our relative revenue, we can't match the wages of our competitors and the big transfers come with big wages. While we haven't a net spend on transfers, retained all but one of our extended first team and we have strengthened the squad.

I'll note that we seemed to change strategy the year we first qualified for the Champions League. Up to then we were regular big net spenders with low wages, since then our wages have been significantly higher and our transfer spending is neutral.

In fairness to him our net spend on transfer fees since 2009 is negative, and I'm sure the lowest in the league. Including a roughly 0 net spend this window.

So what specifically do you disagree with?

You posted the following earlier ( But actually our current policy is extreme austerity) its not . We spend within our budget and that has to be the right way to do things. We are not doped financially like Chelski and City or one of the richest teams in the world Utd. Some fans get so wound up about the " net spend" saying that can not see past the end of their noses and see the progress on and off the pitch we have made with this policy.

It beggers belief that there are sill some fans who keep banging on about the " net spend" flimflam and as if it the beginning and end of everything,.

nah, we do take risks, njie, n'koudou, sissoko, janssen, paulinho etc, so on and so forth

also, how does extreme austerity fit with the most expensive stadium build in PL history?

if we were gonna be cheap we'd have time shared an athletics track
We tried - it's called Stafford.

You posted the following earlier ( But actually our current policy is extreme austerity) its not . We spend within our budget and that has to be the right way to do things. We are not doped financially like Chelski and City or one of the richest teams in the world Utd. Some fans get so wound up about the " net spend" saying that can not see past the end of their noses and see the progress on and off the pitch we have made with this policy.

It beggers belief that there are sill some fans who keep banging on about the " net spend" flimflam and as if it the beginning and end of everything,.
It's precisely because we are tantalisingly close.
It has shades of the Grand Old Duke OF York.
Poch has led us up the hill, we just needed a little push.
Unfortunately in a couple of months it could become clear. I hope not , but fear we will need a lot of good fortune to stop us slipping back.

Unfortunately in a couple of months it could become clear. I hope not , but fear we will need a lot of good fortune to stop us slipping back.

I'll ask again. Which players who changed clubs this summer should we have signed?

So your scope to determine success or failure of the whole project is two months?

Something I've learnt over time

"Quality over quantity"

If we can get quality for less then why wouldn't we do so

Spanking £45m on a siggy or £50m on a Walker is bonkers when you can get players as good as for less

You wouldn't do it with your own money

Therin lays the problem, fan can flap their gums as much as they like about net spend and all that flimflam, its always easy to say we should throw money at players when its not their money.

Back