• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

It'd be unprofessional if he was purposefully holding back prior to the new contract but I don't think we can assume that was/is the case tbf

Players at this level are finely tuned athletes. They need 100% focus and commitment to be at their best. If anything takes away from that focus, however insignificant it seems to us, it can affect their performance.

Eriksen's contract situation should be completely separate from his on-field performances but I doubt it is that cut and dry. It must seep into his thoughts at a subconscious level. I'm sure there are other factors to his recent poor form but IMO his contract situation has to be one of them.

The good news is he's back.

It's gotta help him be more focussed, knowing that the contract is done. No immediate questions over his next move or whether he feels valued etc. it's been answered. Now he can get on with playing without the distraction.

It'd be unprofessional if he was purposefully holding back prior to the new contract but I don't think we can assume that was/is the case tbf

Agreed. I'm just saying if it was as simple as holding back as contract not sorted it would be. As milo says plenty of reasons for indifferent form

Is settled you mean?

haha yer settled, some fans really need to realize this is a business, loyalty has gone i dont think waiting for your agent to ring you to tell you you have got more money should be a reason you can play half assed

Eriksen has insisted all along he is happy at Tottenham and did not want to move. He even rubbished the story put out by his own agent that he might have to move abroad as a result of the Brexit vote.

His agent seems to have been on a mission to prove he could face-down Levy. Both were playing hardball so it took time - as well it seems as it's toll on the player - but you could argue it was his agent who won out in the end.

Whatever the true narrative it's just great to have Eriksen coming back to form. Stoke were crap but if he can keep reproducing anything like his brilliant second-half display yesterday we can all start to salivate about some very high-octane entertainment going forward.

Last edited:
As i have said before he is one probably our most important players and it was good to see him play well yesterday. There has been a lot of rubbish ( imo) said about him after the first couple of games and the over the top criticism was baffling to hear/see.

He has not been at his best but then again neither have other players in our team, and that includes Kane who has been off his game but for some reason has not been singled out for the criticism that Eriksen has received ( from some).

haha yer settled, some fans really need to realize this is a business, loyalty has gone i dont think waiting for your agent to ring you to tell you you have got more money should be a reason you can play half assed
And some fans need to remember footballers are people not robots.

Yes it is a business, much like the ones in which we all operate, and if anyone on here says they can stay unaffected at a time when they are being headhunted by numerous other firms and may have to move abroad at short notice whilst simultaneously waiting for a third party to negotiate with your employer about changes to your contract and knowing that as well as being an employee you are also at all times saleable asset and everytime you deliver a presentation you have to 100% as well as relying on 10 of your colleagues to do the same, otherwise you have millions of customers who know very little about the workings of your product giving you negative critique and abuse in person, the press and the internet and often won't forget the tiniest little thing for years to come.....then whoever says, frankly, is trumping.....or incredible

Eriksen has insisted all along he is happy at Tottenham and did not want to move. He even rubbished the story put out by his own agent that he might have to move abroad as a result of the Brexit vote.

His agent seems to have been on a mission to prove he could face-down Levy. Both were playing hardball so it took time - as well it seems as it's toll on the player - but you could argue it was his agent who won out in the end.

Whatever the true narrative it's just great to have Eriksen coming back to form. Stoke were crap but if he can keep reproducing anything like his brilliant second-half display yesterday we can all start to salivate about some very high-octane entertainment going forward.
Eriksen's contract negotiations were pretty standard. They started mid way through last season and the deal was signed 5 or 6 months later, that is actually not a particularly long time frame for a player well into his contract as Eriksen was. Arsenal have been negotiating with both Sanchez and Ozil for longer than it took us to tie Eriksen down.

My thoughts are that if Eriksen's agent had strung the negotiations out into the second half of the season then he could've got his client more money. If I were Eriksen's agent, my support of THFC aside, I would've been advising him to sit tight and not sign yet. I would be surprised if the agent wasn't giving that exact advice. The fact that Eriksen signed the deal when he did shows that he clearly wants to be at this football club.

Now hopefully our best player (IMO) can get on with continuing to be exactly that for the next few years.

Eriksen's contract negotiations were pretty standard. They started mid way through last season and the deal was signed 5 or 6 months later, that is actually not a particularly long time frame for a player well into his contract as Eriksen was. Arsenal have been negotiating with both Sanchez and Ozil for longer than it took us to tie Eriksen down.

My thoughts are that if Eriksen's agent had strung the negotiations out into the second half of the season then he could've got his client more money. If I were Eriksen's agent, my support of THFC aside, I would've been advising him to sit tight and not sign yet. I would be surprised if the agent wasn't giving that exact advice. The fact that Eriksen signed the deal when he did shows that he clearly wants to be at this football club.

Now hopefully our best player (IMO) can get on with continuing to be exactly that for the next few years.

I agree up to a point. But I think it depends on the agent. I think some agents realize that a happy player at a club where they're developing well makes a lot of financial sense long term. Particularly for younger players. A drop in form and potential fallout with Pochettino could be very costly for a player like Eriksen, and after a potential season off form it would't be the top tier clubs in Europe lining up to throw money at him.

Either way great to see Eriksen back performing at a level we know he's capable of. Always thought it was a good idea to let him play his way back to form. Hoping for a fairly consistent season for him overall with him well settled at the club and under Pochettino. He also has quite a lot of experience now, relatively speaking.

He was great yesterday. 2nd half in particular.

I think Wanyama getting the hook was the catalyst for us to totally take over the match. Wanyama is a great player but he rarely drives up the pitch with the ball so when Alli moved back to CM and made runs forward Stoke had far more problems to contend with. This gave Eriksen (and the others) that much more space to operate in and another target to hit (Alli). We also stopped the all too frequent long balls from the first half which were totally ineffective.

With Dembele back in contention I'm certain we'll see us back playing more like our 2nd half performance anyway.

the way i see it is he played poorly, no one came in for him in the summer so signed the deal and started playing again

Best player on the pitch today - outstanding. Getting him to sign a contract extension was the best bit of business we did all summer.

5 assists in our last 3 games against Stoke. They must fudgeing hate him.

Had he really been the best player on the pitch, Charlie Adam would have tried to crock him, but he chose Deli instead.

:D

Back