• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

last i saw its the total of 38 games that counted. if this is what poch really said then we must contend that we have a very young coach who is still learning how to manage international players and games without giving up too much in the league and cup competitions.

“We had a lot of players involved in the Euros and we are in the process of trying to build their fitness, and how we can adapt their situation to the team,” Pochettino said at his press conference on Thursday. “We are not in a period to work on small details. We are very focused to try to give the team more quality in fitness and consistency. It's impossible after the Euros with a very short break to recover to start again.”

Pochettino said last week that the calendar, with five weeks between the end of Euro 2016 and the start of the Premier League, put the clubs in an impossible position. Pochettino, Jesus Perez and the Spurs staff are still trying to get the players fully fit. Detailed tactical work has to wait. “To start the Premier League after two weeks' training, to start international competition, it's very tough for the players,” Pochettino said. “We want to create the possibility for our players to be fit for the whole season. We are a little bit late in our development for this new season. After the international break we can start to work on small details and develop different possibilities to play linked with our work on the pitch.” http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...t-late-getting-up-to-speed-this-a7211936.html

Its the same for all clubs, though some have less internationals. Poch is simply being honest I don't think there is a lot he could have done differently.

No, I would not make him our highest paid because imo the likes of Kane, Dele and Lloris are probably ahead of him. But his creativity is nevertheless key to the way we play. His control, his intelligence, his deft touches, his ideas and his energy are all critical to linking our attacks and opening up tight defences.

As to whether he can get better, yes, because he's still only 24.

But for the moment no question he looks well off the pace. Maybe all the speculation about his future is getting to him, who knows? Indeed it would not surprise me if he were to be rested for a couple of games, but if as I expect he's still here after Wednesday then hopefully it won't be too long before we see him return to his pivotal best a-la Modric.

I, like every supporter, hope you are right with your last comment mate. Believe me,it takes a LOT for me to seriously question a player, let alone one as obviously talented as him. I said in his first full season I wanted more strength on the ball, I've looked for more since and last season especially I thought he was going to be the man who could take games we needed and make the difference; he didn't (for me anyway) when he pressure was really on. So I admit he is under my personal microscope, and has been for a while. I have to wonder if his contract negotiations have been held up by the club in lieu of this potential Cisco thing? We shall see I suppose...

I really do despair some time about our fanbase, Eriksen is not playing as well as he can but he is not the only one. Kane has been rubbish so far this season but i do not see him getting the same amount of stick, Eriksen has class but its obvious that there are some fans who have a problem with seeing this. As for GB he is still sulking about Mason so there is no surprise that he feels the way he does.

Dispair all you like mate. I trust you can see why some people (well, myself) are questioning him and are applying the context. Gazza, for all your criticism, has played a different role this season, played a different role during the game yesterday mid-way, had a winning assist game before last and always draws people/puts in a shift wherever he is. So yes, correct, I am not going to give the bloke stick because I can see him trying to do things and sometimes doing them despite not being in top form AND in a different position.

Anyone watched Emirates Marketing Project vs the hammers yesterday? Super slick moves and all the players looking sharp and fit. De Bruyne picking up from where he left off, new goalie totally immersed in his role as sweeper keeper and playmaker.
Was paying attention to Silva - he didn't disappoint, sweet touches and willing to fight tooth and nail for every ball..... he definitely has more gumption than Erik.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Something is not right but I seriously doubt it's a lack of guts. It looks like a lack of fitness and match sharpness to me. He has never been the strongest but when fully fit and up to match sharpness he has the energy to compete. It takes courage to go out there and face a team playing at the level of intensity Liverpool, more so when you are not fully up to speed and in front of a supercritical baying mob.

Why tho
@thfcsteff can I ask why you are singling out Eriksen? Are you questioning Alli, Kane, Lamela who've all been less than impressive? Lamela the best of the bunch but he gave away the pen.

The whole team is not on point yet.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

You absolutely can ask mate. In fairness, I thought I'd been very clear about my reasons earlier (in one thread or another) but happy to state my opinion again. Here are some reasons.

1) I have questioned him for a couple of seasons, waited to see him push on and become more as I believe there's more in there'd that he simply doesn't always apply himself.
2) Eriksen/his agent have put themselves under the microscope. My understanding is that several times last season we attempted to up his wages significantly, but he chose to hold out thinking he could force the club hand and become our highest paid player. Fair play to him for thinking that way, but it does place a weight of expectation on you - especially from folks like me who have not been 100% convinced you're the messiah!
3) Alli, Kane and Lamela have all shown far, far more intent on and off the ball. Each has continued to put a shift in/try to seek out attacking movements/looked to create and forage something out for either themselves or a teammate. Those three would have excuses not to, given they spent their summers playing tournament football and have had no breaks. Christian got a (deserved) rest. Glad he did, absolutely deserved it, but so did the three. And Walker, Rose, Dier for that matter...
4) On Saturday, Alli and Kane started in their old positions for the first time this season; Walker's injury forced them ALL to reshuffle and re-accomodate their roles for the team as Dier had to drop into FB. I would say that Lamela was working his gonads off being back there and covering, thus for me he absolutely escapes accountability. He gave away a 'pen' (some feel it was outside the box - personally I'd have given it), it happens, he was trying to do the right thing but was ultimately an attacking midfielder caught covering on his own goal-line.
5) Kane has two to three men on him every time and is playing at the half-way line. Put simply it is no wonder he hasn't found form yet, but the guy still gives it his all.

Christian got called aside by Poch second half and given instructions. I could not tell exactly what, but they looked to me like Poch was giving him the license to roam more between the lines, to get into the pockets of space which were there and to get inside the channels where the Liverpool defense was suspect (remember Alli was deeper at this point). He did so for 10 minutes, a period during which we scored. I want him to be more positive for 90. When he gets a ball facing goal 40-45 yards out, look to drive and create, look for forward passes, don't hide in holes and play 5 yard square passes all the time (obviously sometimes it's necessary)...his head isn't there, and for the third season running I am questioning whether we can rely on him to be THE man we need him to be mate.

Again, I wish dearly to be wrong, and if he proves me so, I will happily eat humble pie, my hat, whatever (I've never been afraid to be wrong)...ut right now, he is on the precipice and he needs to either be THE man or be the next Chadli in my view...IF Isco comes in for a year, IF that happens, it will show us all. When we signed ben Davies I predicted it would make Danny Rose because he's a fighter. Let's hope something like that happens to Christian IF Isco comes, and if he doesn't, let's hope he digs deep and motors on anyway...

Why tho

You absolutely can ask mate. In fairness, I thought I'd been very clear about my reasons earlier (in one thread or another) but happy to state my opinion again. Here are some reasons.

1) I have questioned him for a couple of seasons, waited to see him push on and become more as I believe there's more in there'd that he simply doesn't always apply himself.
2) Eriksen/his agent have put themselves under the microscope. My understanding is that several times last season we attempted to up his wages significantly, but he chose to hold out thinking he could force the club hand and become our highest paid player. Fair play to him for thinking that way, but it does place a weight of expectation on you - especially from folks like me who have not been 100% convinced you're the messiah!
3) Alli, Kane and Lamela have all shown far, far more intent on and off the ball. Each has continued to put a shift in/try to seek out attacking movements/looked to create and forage something out for either themselves or a teammate. Those three would have excuses not to, given they spent their summers playing tournament football and have had no breaks. Christian got a (deserved) rest. Glad he did, absolutely deserved it, but so did the three. And Walker, Rose, Dier for that matter...
4) On Saturday, Alli and Kane started in their old positions for the first time this season; Walker's injury forced them ALL to reshuffle and re-accomodate their roles for the team as Dier had to drop into FB. I would say that Lamela was working his cobblers off being back there and covering, thus for me he absolutely escapes accountability. He gave away a 'pen' (some feel it was outside the box - personally I'd have given it), it happens, he was trying to do the right thing but was ultimately an attacking midfielder caught covering on his own goal-line.
5) Kane has two to three men on him every time and is playing at the half-way line. Put simply it is no wonder he hasn't found form yet, but the guy still gives it his all.

Christian got called aside by Poch second half and given instructions. I could not tell exactly what, but they looked to me like Poch was giving him the license to roam more between the lines, to get into the pockets of space which were there and to get inside the channels where the Liverpool defense was suspect (remember Alli was deeper at this point). He did so for 10 minutes, a period during which we scored. I want him to be more positive for 90. When he gets a ball facing goal 40-45 yards out, look to drive and create, look for forward passes, don't hide in holes and play 5 yard square passes all the time (obviously sometimes it's necessary)...his head isn't there, and for the third season running I am questioning whether we can rely on him to be THE man we need him to be mate.

Again, I wish dearly to be wrong, and if he proves me so, I will happily eat humble pie, my hat, whatever (I've never been afraid to be wrong)...ut right now, he is on the precipice and he needs to either be THE man or be the next Chadli in my view...IF Isco comes in for a year, IF that happens, it will show us all. When we signed ben Davies I predicted it would make Danny Rose because he's a fighter. Let's hope something like that happens to Christian IF Isco comes, and if he doesn't, let's hope he digs deep and motors on anyway...

• Second highest assists in the league last season.
  • Eriksen was no worse than all other attacking players imo.
  • Yes he is inconsistent, but even when not playing well he's a good player. Is there more to come? At 24 for sure! Competition would be ideal, but would have to be a player like Isco, as there are not much better than Eriksen imo.
Contract stuff is agents etc. nothing to do with him. The whole team need to improve in an attacking sense. No point singling out one player.

I really do despair some time about our fanbase, Eriksen is not playing as well as he can but he is not the only one. Kane has been rubbish so far this season but i do not see him getting the same amount of stick, Eriksen has class but its obvious that there are some fans who have a problem with seeing this. As for GB he is still sulking about Mason so there is no surprise that he feels the way he does.

I can accept him playing badly, as all players struggle from time to time. What I don't like is his tinkle weak mentality. He almost tries to get out of the way when he has to go for a 50-50 header. Watch the guy closely. He is a weak sister!

whilst i think Eriksen is a good/borderline great player im not sure that he has improved much over his three seasons here, he seems to have stood still, development wise - at the moment that's not too much of an issue because he is still worth a place in the starting XI but we really need him to start growing as a player

whilst i think Eriksen is a good/borderline great player im not sure that he has improved much over his three seasons here, he seems to have stood still, development wise - at the moment that's not too much of an issue because he is still worth a place in the starting XI but we really need him to start growing as a player

You may have a point, however he is still only 24 and has not reached his peak yet.

Back