• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

a 150k p/w wage would make him our highest earner by around 50% more than that of our 2nd highest earner - that is what is important in this whole debate not what he earns in respect to other players at different clubs - can you offer an argument as to why he should be earning that much more than his team mates?

(hypothetically speaking of course as we don't really know the figures)

i don't think anyone would begrudge him being put in our top bracket for wages as he is one of our most important players - the issue is the hypothetical 150k which would put him way beyond our top bracket

For starters - I'd be happy to give Lloris and Kane the same salary as Eriksen. They've all sat through a lot of crap with us but been consistently good. I'd also happily give the same to Dier and Alli if they continue to improve and progress over the next year or two. Possibly Toby as well. But afterwards, it all comes down to market forces. If Vertonghen came and demanded £150k a week, for example, on the basis that he's also been first choice throughout the AVB, Sherwood and Poch years, I'd tell him to do one because we can arguably find better or at least comparable level centre-backs on our own bench, let alone available in the transfer market for less.

We used to be in a position where our wage bill was low and most of our players weren't very good, save for a few up and coming youngsters who knew they'd need to perform to really impress for the big bucks. In those instances, we'd have to cash in on them when they'd proven their worth to the bigger clubs - think Carrick, Berbatov, Modric and Bale. We'd have to re-invest that cash and bring the average quality of the squad up slowly. Now, we are now getting to a stage where actually, our squad is pretty good. We have a lot of good players. We are in the Champions League. We may not be title favourites but we are recognised as one of the stronger teams in the country. Now we need to be trying to keep those players. And if that means paying them what they can get elsewhere, then so be it. Would be catastrophic to lose such an important player at this stage of the window.

Reactions: DTA
Remember Liverpool are paying Milner crazy money and if you add up his wages it equated to a £20m player on something like £80k a week IIRC

Exactly... but i can even accept that Liverpool have more financial might and therefore would pay more then us. But we have to at least compete with the rest in terms of wages, thats just the reality of todays game

we compete on more than price though

Yeah sure. And thats a factor when there is only a few grand in it. But what we are talking about is 75k difference a week or 3million a year so what factors would be worth that to you? What factors would be worth that to him, especially considering Juve's supposed interest.

Exactly... but i can even accept that Liverpool have more financial might and therefore would pay more then us. But we have to at least compete with the rest in terms of wages, thats just the reality of todays game

The reality is that those below us overspend on a handful of players while the rest of their squads are crap. We more than compete with them on the pitch, I do not see how spending more money on wages is a necessity when it's possible to sign players on less.

Yeah sure. And thats a factor when there is only a few grand in it. But what we are talking about is 75k difference a week or 3million a year so what factors would be worth that to you? What factors would be worth that to him, especially considering Juve's supposed interest.

are we? who is going to be offering Eriksen that sort of money?

Pogba was on 70k p/w at Juventus (says the internet anyway) - are they going to be offering Eriksen double that? a quick google suggests the highest paid player in Seire A is on 125k EUROS a week - i don't think we need to worry about wages being a reason that any of our players move there

tbh i think some of you are guilty of letting your imaginations run away with you with regards to what players earn elsewhere - out of the ordinary wages like Payet on 125 and Drinkwater turning down 80k become news because they are out of the ordinary and are not the going rate

Last edited:
are we? who is going to be offering Eriksen that sort of money?

Pogba was on 70k p/w at Juventus (says the internet anyway) - are they going to be offering Eriksen double that?

i think some of you are guilty of letting your imaginations run away with you with regards to what players earn elsewhere tbh

Didnt they pay tevez something in the region of 200k?

Poga was probably on his pre superstar contract

The reality is that those below us overspend on a handful of players while the rest of their squads are crap. We more than compete with them on the pitch, I do not see how spending more money on wages is a necessity when it's possible to sign players on less.

Can we sign someone as good as Erickson for less?

Didnt they pay tevez something in the region of 200k?

Poga was probably on his pre superstar contract

Pogba signed a 5 year contract extension last season iirc - hence why Juventus managed to get such a high transfer fee.

no one from Italy will be offering Eriksen 150k GBP or anything close to it

don't know about Tevez tbh - i know he was on high wages in England and wanted eye watering money from West Ham

edit : further research says he was only on around 70k at Juventus too - that's from several sources.

Last edited:
For starters - I'd be happy to give Lloris and Kane the same salary as Eriksen. They've all sat through a lot of crap with us but been consistently good. I'd also happily give the same to Dier and Alli if they continue to improve and progress over the next year or two. Possibly Toby as well. But afterwards, it all comes down to market forces. If Vertonghen came and demanded £150k a week, for example, on the basis that he's also been first choice throughout the AVB, Sherwood and Poch years, I'd tell him to do one because we can arguably find better or at least comparable level centre-backs on our own bench, let alone available in the transfer market for less.

We used to be in a position where our wage bill was low and most of our players weren't very good, save for a few up and coming youngsters who knew they'd need to perform to really impress for the big bucks. In those instances, we'd have to cash in on them when they'd proven their worth to the bigger clubs - think Carrick, Berbatov, Modric and Bale. We'd have to re-invest that cash and bring the average quality of the squad up slowly. Now, we are now getting to a stage where actually, our squad is pretty good. We have a lot of good players. We are in the Champions League. We may not be title favourites but we are recognised as one of the stronger teams in the country. Now we need to be trying to keep those players. And if that means paying them what they can get elsewhere, then so be it. Would be catastrophic to lose such an important player at this stage of the window.

rather than bump everyones wages up to match him, why not just pay him what our top earners are currently on, or thereabouts?

Lloris +70k - to match Eriksens new 150k wage
Kane +50k
Eriksen + 50k (from my proposed 100k wage)
Dier +100k (propsed 50k contract soon to be signed iirc)
Alli + 100k (guess he'll soon be on 50k)
Alderwiereld + 75k

450k per week/23 mil a year (more than 10% of our turnover?) and for what exactly? the only clubs which can realistically poach our players are the top tier clubs for whom money is no object or those that are so illustrious that wages wouldn't stop the player wanting the move anyway. I think that actually puts us in a good position with regards to our own budget - by way of having a large(ish) turnover and paying X% of that consistently towards wages we will generally have the 6th largest wage budget in the league - no smaller clubs can realistically poach our players and we can't match the wages of the bigger clubs that can anyway - so to me that makes the ball in our court

Last edited:
You can't hold it against a player for not being Bale. There was only one Bale, and trust me, he earns A LOT more than £150k a week.

I really think people are expecting too much of Eriksen. His 16 league assists last season is a club record since they started counting them. And not only that, he's done it at crucial moments in big games too - the assists at Stamford Bridge and Anfield, the ones against Man Utd and West Ham, and of course, the winner at the Etihad. His goal output dried up a bit from the previous year, but I'd put that partially down to playing in a different position to accomodate Alli - remember all the last minute winners he scored in Poch's first season? These are regular, important contributions to the team. What more is he supposed to do exactly?

This is nothing more than a number you've plucked out of the sky. As I've shown in other posts, it is well below market rate for a player in his position in the Premier League with the same proven pedigree as he has.

You might think some of those players are stealing a living, and I'd be inclined to agree with you. There are also people who don't think it's right that men who kick balls between two sticks all day should be paid more than doctors and firemen. But that's football these days. It's simple economics. Supply and demand. Market forces. And for the final time, the market rate for a player with Eriksen's level of Premier League experience is definitely over £100k a week. Simple as. I don't like it any more than you do. But if you were consistently outperforming your competition in your job and seeing them get paid more than you, wouldn't you at least ask for parity?

At first I thought people were just criminally underrating Eriksen, who has been and still is without question one of our best, most important and most effective players of the last few years. But I think there's another problem here. You don't seem to realise that £150k a week is not actually that much in today's Premier League money.

I'll repeat that.

£150k is not that much in today's money.

You all seem to bang on like he's a wannabe that's demanding an elite wage that he doesn't deserve. £150k is not an elite wage. Wayne Rooney is earning almost double that. £150k doesn't even nearly put you in the top 10 in the Premier League, I doubt you'd even be top 20. If I went and offered £250k for a house in central London and protested that it's not worth more than that, I may be correct. But I wouldn't have a house at the end of the negotiation. And, again for the final time, unless anyone can name me a player of Eriksen's age and ability who would cost less than £40-50m and £150k per week, we can't lose this negotiation. Because whether it's Sheringham/Ferdinand, Berbatov/Pavlyuchenko, Bale/Lamela - one thing we've proved time and time again is that cashing in on star players and signing better ones in the same position for less money is almost impossible. Last thing we need to be doing now, as we go into a season with a settled squad is to start letting important players go.

You've worn me out with this one, though I WILL say you opening line was cheap as I believe you know EXACTLY what I was getting at.

I just don't see the point in getting into a long discussion about something which could take up a lot of space.

I will take you upon the bold-faced line above...150k might not be 'that much' in 'today's Premier League', but the way we run ourselves it absolutely is. And what YOU have NOT taken into account is that IF we were to give Christian Eriksen 150k a week, then we would have to give Harry Kane 200k a week (he delivers consistently), Hugo Lloris 210 a week (our skipper and international skipper), Dembele $120k a week at least and Toby 100k a week (supreme consistency). Walker and Rose (two international first-choice FBs) would push for 100k a week too.

I think you need to recognize the wider picture here, which is that until the stadium is built, we need to keep our wage-structure sensible. Unless we don't sign any other players.

FWIW I will repeated that I believe Eriksen will stay on a 'par' contract with other top-paid players and some built in incentives. He is a fine player, but he is not yet elite. He is close.

Good debate. I hope we all get what we want in the end (again I believe we will)...

I also think that for all our waffling, there needs to be some faith in what the club are doing. They (and the manager) are not stupid. If Eriksen ended up leaving against Poch's wishes, you would (I believe) THEN have a REAL problem...

Kane 2 years ago would have been on a paltry (for a footballer) wage he is probably earning 7x or 10x what he was 2 years ago thats why we could sign him for what we did. If we leave it until two years till the end of his current contract and he keeps progressing like he has been, then he will be demanding in excess of 200k.

No one is saying compete with wages from man u Le Arse, City or Chelsea. But we have to compete with the rest of the league.
We do. Wage bill by club, 2015 (latest available stats)

Cheatski £217m
Man U £203m
Emirates Marketing Project £194m
Arse £192m
Liverpool £166m
Us £103m
Swansea £83m
Southampton £80m
Everton £78m
Sunderland £77m
Spammers £73m
Palace £68m
Stoke £67m
Leicester £57m*
Hull £56m

*season they were in a relegation dogfight. Much higher now.

Sauce https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ue-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

Last edited:
I will take that as a direct shot towards this bough and respond.
Because it is simple.
IF Christian Eriksen wants to be even the highest-paid player at our club, he needs to lead the club and be the difference-maker that can turn games which are balanced. We drew far too many games last season, and whilst he is obviously not responsible for all of them, it is fair to expect him to have stepped up and grabbed a few of them by the scruff and make the moments happen.
Like Bale.
Say what you like, he is currently a 70-75k a week player (I believe he will get no more than 80-85k), and I would have Lloris, Kane, Dembele and possibly even Toby ahead of him in the importance stakes. Dier too if he continues to be what he is. Alli as well, ditto. Lorries and Kane have proven themselves.

I want him to prove me wrong.
I also want to be wrong SUIYHA. Desperately. I will scoff humble-pie and cheer with everyone if he steps up and becomes 'the main man' consistently.

p.s. Coutinho is a quality player in the same orbit as Eriksen. Let's see which becomes the world-beater. I don't 'do' twitter mate, have an account but haven't checked it in ages. Heinous thing.

Agree with this 100%. Eriksen clearly has the talent but he needs to be the difference maker. I think his country coach said much the same about him. When he starts to consistently deliver of the pitch - and score/make/ deliver on a consistent basis to turn tight games, then and only then will he deserve to have his salary at the level he apparently wants now. Popping up with the odd crucial goal ala Emirates Marketing Project away, while welcome, needs to happen far more often for me.

Agree with this 100%. Eriksen clearly has the talent but he needs to be the difference maker. I think his country coach said much the same about him. When he starts to consistently deliver of the pitch - and score/make/ deliver on a consistent basis to turn tight games, then and only then will he deserve to have his salary at the level he apparently wants now. Popping up with the odd crucial goal ala Emirates Marketing Project away, while welcome, needs to happen far more often for me.

I agree that sometimes he is a periphery figure. As good as he was last season, I would say it was his most disappointing season on the whole, it took a while for him to get going whereas the rest of the team hit the ground running after the first 3-4 games.

However, he was our best player during his first season, that's the entire season not just 10 games or so. He was one of the only bright spots during that turgid Sherwood/AVB spell. Then he followed that by scoring 10 league goals in his next season and creating the most chances. I would say he deserves a significant pay rise. He should be on the same or similar money to Kane and Lloris.

I'd also like to see Kane given a pay rise but that's another story.

I agree that sometimes he is a periphery figure. As good as he was last season, I would say it was his most disappointing season on the whole, it took a while for him to get going whereas the rest of the team hit the ground running after the first 3-4 games.

However, he was our best player during his first season, that's the entire season not just 10 games or so. He was one of the only bright spots during that turgid Sherwood/AVB spell. Then he followed that by scoring 10 league goals in his next season and creating the most chances. I would say he deserves a significant pay rise. He should be on the same or similar money to Kane and Lloris.

I'd also like to see Kane given a pay rise but that's another story.

Who doesn't agree with that?
We have been saying that mate.
Where I think the issues start is if we consider that this bloke deserves to be our highest-paid player...

This from April. I have no idea how accurate these figures are. How can anyone possibly know?
I doubt he's asking for 150k if he's currently on 30k but who knows. Levy might have promised him something down the line.
And there's more to contracts than just basic wage. I wouldn't be surprised to his agent is trying to get a release fee in there in case everything goes to brick down the line.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...ructure-following-spurs-success-a3233091.html

"One of Levy’s smartest tricks in his 15 years as Tottenham chairman has been to keep wages relatively low. Nobody at Spurs earns £100,000 a week, with the best-rewarded players — Hugo Lloris, Erik Lamela and Mousa Dembele — in the £70,000-£80,000 a week bracket.

If Spurs finish second — or even win the title — will it be possible for Levy to keep salaries at this level? Nobody is suggesting that Tottenham’s players are mercenaries. But if any worker, in any job, knows they are outperforming better-paid competitors, it is natural to ask questions of their employer.

Harry Kane, the top scorer in the League, earns about £50,000 per week. Dele Alli, the PFA Young Player of the Year, collects about half of that. Eric Dier and Christian Eriksen, key men this season, come in around the £30,000 mark, Jan Vertonghen closer to £40,000. Both Eriksen and Vertonghen are in talks over new deals.

These are tremendously wealthy young men but a glance around the Premier League is instructive.

Raheem Sterling’s wages at Emirates Marketing Project are £180,000 a week, while Theo Walcott is paid about £130,000 weekly by Arsenal. There are many more examples of footballers who do not provide the value for money that Tottenham’s have this season. "

This is the key for me, consistency is sorely lacking in Mr. Eriksens case. He was poor for large parts of last season and invisible at Everton last week. He could be so much more

Back