• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Food for thought on Eriksen's contract value.... Leicester are offering Danny Drinkwater £80,000 a week to sign a new contract. He has (so far) refused the deal.
Eriksen over Drinkwater every time. But not if it means breaking the wage structure, there's always someone else out there capable of filling his shoes for less.

And doesn't Levy know it.

Eriksen over Drinkwater every time. But not if it means breaking the wage structure, there's always someone else out there capable of filling his shoes for less.

And doesn't Levy know it.

But if that person is capable of filling Eriksen's shoes - not such an easy task imo - then it would not be long before he too would be expecting some kind of wage parity.
I don't think we should be breaking our wage structure to the extent of £150k but a player of Eruksen's ability and worth to the team needs to be commensurately rewarded.

Last edited:
Mason has better vision, while Eriksen has better execution. But I don't think there's much between them.

Eriksen's extra 190 career games, due to coming through at a lower level, is what is helping him edge it I think.

38iYgTP.gif

But this includes the staying at a brick club premium. See Payet.
What it does is shows the level to which even the clubs who traditionally have a lower standing than us are prepared to go to keep their best players at the club. Drinkwater is one of Leicester's best 3 or 4 players and therefore they will offer him money reflecting that.

Surely none of us would expect Eriksen to accept less than this amount to sign a new deal at Spurs now that he is in the last 2 years of his contract?

What it does is shows the level to which even the clubs who traditionally have a lower standing than us are prepared to go to keep their best players at the club. Drinkwater is one of Leicester's best 3 or 4 players and therefore they will offer him money reflecting that.

Surely none of us would expect Eriksen to accept less than this amount to sign a new deal at Spurs now that he is in the last 2 years of his contract?
Is it possible we could make a resigning fee, plus a salary on par with our highest earners?

I will take that as a direct shot towards this bough and respond.
Because it is simple.
IF Christian Eriksen wants to be even the highest-paid player at our club, he needs to lead the club and be the difference-maker that can turn games which are balanced. We drew far too many games last season, and whilst he is obviously not responsible for all of them, it is fair to expect him to have stepped up and grabbed a few of them by the scruff and make the moments happen.
Like Bale.

You can't hold it against a player for not being Bale. There was only one Bale, and trust me, he earns A LOT more than £150k a week.

I really think people are expecting too much of Eriksen. His 16 league assists last season is a club record since they started counting them. And not only that, he's done it at crucial moments in big games too - the assists at Stamford Bridge and Anfield, the ones against Man Utd and West Ham, and of course, the winner at the Etihad. His goal output dried up a bit from the previous year, but I'd put that partially down to playing in a different position to accomodate Alli - remember all the last minute winners he scored in Poch's first season? These are regular, important contributions to the team. What more is he supposed to do exactly?

Say what you like, he is currently a 70-75k a week player (I believe he will get no more than 80-85k), and I would have Lloris, Kane, Dembele and possibly even Toby ahead of him in the importance stakes. Dier too if he continues to be what he is. Alli as well, ditto. Lorries and Kane have proven themselves.

This is nothing more than a number you've plucked out of the sky. As I've shown in other posts, it is well below market rate for a player in his position in the Premier League with the same proven pedigree as he has.

You might think some of those players are stealing a living, and I'd be inclined to agree with you. There are also people who don't think it's right that men who kick balls between two sticks all day should be paid more than doctors and firemen. But that's football these days. It's simple economics. Supply and demand. Market forces. And for the final time, the market rate for a player with Eriksen's level of Premier League experience is definitely over £100k a week. Simple as. I don't like it any more than you do. But if you were consistently outperforming your competition in your job and seeing them get paid more than you, wouldn't you at least ask for parity?

At first I thought people were just criminally underrating Eriksen, who has been and still is without question one of our best, most important and most effective players of the last few years. But I think there's another problem here. You don't seem to realise that £150k a week is not actually that much in today's Premier League money.

I'll repeat that.

£150k is not that much in today's money.

You all seem to bang on like he's a wannabe that's demanding an elite wage that he doesn't deserve. £150k is not an elite wage. Wayne Rooney is earning almost double that. £150k doesn't even nearly put you in the top 10 in the Premier League, I doubt you'd even be top 20. If I went and offered £250k for a house in central London and protested that it's not worth more than that, I may be correct. But I wouldn't have a house at the end of the negotiation. And, again for the final time, unless anyone can name me a player of Eriksen's age and ability who would cost less than £40-50m and £150k per week, we can't lose this negotiation. Because whether it's Sheringham/Ferdinand, Berbatov/Pavlyuchenko, Bale/Lamela - one thing we've proved time and time again is that cashing in on star players and signing better ones in the same position for less money is almost impossible. Last thing we need to be doing now, as we go into a season with a settled squad is to start letting important players go.

You can't hold it against a player for not being Bale. There was only one Bale, and trust me, he earns A LOT more than £150k a week.

I really think people are expecting too much of Eriksen. His 16 league assists last season is a club record since they started counting them. And not only that, he's done it at crucial moments in big games too - the assists at Stamford Bridge and Anfield, the ones against Man Utd and West Ham, and of course, the winner at the Etihad. His goal output dried up a bit from the previous year, but I'd put that partially down to playing in a different position to accomodate Alli - remember all the last minute winners he scored in Poch's first season? These are regular, important contributions to the team. What more is he supposed to do exactly?

This is nothing more than a number you've plucked out of the sky. As I've shown in other posts, it is well below market rate for a player in his position in the Premier League with the same proven pedigree as he has.

You might think some of those players are stealing a living, and I'd be inclined to agree with you. There are also people who don't think it's right that men who kick balls between two sticks all day should be paid more than doctors and firemen. But that's football these days. It's simple economics. Supply and demand. Market forces. And for the final time, the market rate for a player with Eriksen's level of Premier League experience is definitely over £100k a week. Simple as. I don't like it any more than you do. But if you were consistently outperforming your competition in your job and seeing them get paid more than you, wouldn't you at least ask for parity?

At first I thought people were just criminally underrating Eriksen, who has been and still is without question one of our best, most important and most effective players of the last few years. But I think there's another problem here. You don't seem to realise that £150k a week is not actually that much in today's Premier League money.

I'll repeat that.

£150k is not that much in today's money.

You all seem to bang on like he's a wannabe that's demanding an elite wage that he doesn't deserve. £150k is not an elite wage. Wayne Rooney is earning almost double that. £150k doesn't even nearly put you in the top 10 in the Premier League, I doubt you'd even be top 20. If I went and offered £250k for a house in central London and protested that it's not worth more than that, I may be correct. But I wouldn't have a house at the end of the negotiation. And, again for the final time, unless anyone can name me a player of Eriksen's age and ability who would cost less than £40-50m and £150k per week, we can't lose this negotiation. Because whether it's Sheringham/Ferdinand, Berbatov/Pavlyuchenko, Bale/Lamela - one thing we've proved time and time again is that cashing in on star players and signing better ones in the same position for less money is almost impossible. Last thing we need to be doing now, as we go into a season with a settled squad is to start letting important players go.

Eriksen should sack his current agent and get you in..

a 150k p/w wage would make him our highest earner by around 50% more than that of our 2nd highest earner - that is what is important in this whole debate not what he earns in respect to other players at different clubs - can you offer an argument as to why he should be earning that much more than his team mates?

(hypothetically speaking of course as we don't really know the figures)

i don't think anyone would begrudge him being put in our top bracket for wages as he is one of our most important players - the issue is the hypothetical 150k which would put him way beyond our top bracket

Last edited:
a 150k p/w wage would make him our highest earner by around 50% more than that of our 2nd highest earner - that is what is important in this whole debate not what he earns in respect to other players at different clubs - can you offer an argument as to why he should be earning that much more than his team mates?

(hypothetically speaking of course as we don't really know the figures)

i don't think anyone would begrudge him being put in our top bracket for wages as he is one of our most important players - the issue is the hypothetical 150k which would put him way beyond our top bracket

And everyone of them when it becomes time to negociate their new contract will want parity with similar level players in the same/ similar possitions at other clubs.... what Erickson earns will have little or no consequence to their negociating stance.

And everyone of them when it becomes time to negociate their new contract will want parity with similar level players in the same/ similar possitions at other clubs.... what Erickson earns will have little or no consequence to their negociating stance.

if thats the case why did Kane sign a comparatively paltry contract here recently when outside of Spurs CFs are getting two or even three times as much? how did we get all our players on the wages they are currently on when they can all point to certain players at other clubs earning much much more? it's because we have our own wage structure and if you play here or want to continue playing here you look to fit in to that structure.

Last edited:
if thats the case why did Kane sign a comparatively paltry contract here recently when outside of Spurs CFs are getting two or even three times as much? how did we get all our players on the wages they are currently on when they can all point to certain players at other clubs earning much much more? it's because we have our own wage structure and if you play here or want to continue playing here you look to fit in to that structure.

Kane 2 years ago would have been on a paltry (for a footballer) wage he is probably earning 7x or 10x what he was 2 years ago thats why we could sign him for what we did. If we leave it until two years till the end of his current contract and he keeps progressing like he has been, then he will be demanding in excess of 200k.

No one is saying compete with wages from man u Le Arse, City or Chelsea. But we have to compete with the rest of the league.

Kane 2 years ago would have been on a paltry (for a footballer) wage he is probably earning 7x or 10x what he was 2 years ago thats why we could sign him for what we did. If we leave it until two years till the end of his current contract and he keeps progressing like he has been, then he will be demanding in excess of 200k.

No one is saying compete with wages from man u Le Arse, City or Chelsea. But we have to compete with the rest of the league.

we compete on more than price though

the only logical reason for there being the bargaining position of what other clubs are paying their players is if those other clubs are chasing said player - we can't compete with Arsenal Chelsea City and United like you say so outside of them the only real competition is Liverpool, are they going to be wading in for Eriksen/Kane etc with the transfer fee we would accept whilst also being able to offer the player a significant wage increase too? i doubt it, same as anyone else outside those 5 clubs in the league.

a player is worth whatever someone will pay

Eriksen is worth a hell a lot to the team and I'm confident we will offer him a contact that reflect that

We can't stop someone else "underhand offering" more and we can't stop him wanting more

He seems sensible and level headed and has only been positive under Poch

the only logical reason for there being the bargaining position of what other clubs are paying their players is if those other clubs are chasing said player - we can't compete with Arsenal Chelsea City and United like you say so outside of them the only real competition is Liverpool, are they going to be wading in for Eriksen/Kane etc with the transfer fee we would accept whilst also being able to offer the player a significant wage increase too? i doubt it, same as anyone else outside those 5 clubs in the league.

Remember Liverpool are paying Milner crazy money and if you add up his wages it equated to a £20m player on something like £80k a week IIRC

If someone wants to be a guaranteed starter for a mid table side, only put in any effort when he feels like and and make slightly more than he would with us (see the likes of Payet, Shaqiri, Arnautovic etc.) then he is welcome to fudge off. There is no market rate, only what clubs are desperate/stupid enough to pay instead of looking for alternatives.

If someone wants to be a guaranteed starter for a mid table side, only put in any effort when he feels like and and make slightly more than he would with us (see the likes of Payet, Shaqiri, Arnautovic etc.) then he is welcome to fudge off. There is no market rate, only what clubs are desperate/stupid enough to pay instead of looking for alternatives.

His only options dont consist of us, or a mid table side. I Believe Juve were interested in him. Maybe he will run down his contract and leave on a free.

Back