• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

If you can get them for 70 or 80 then of course there's no reason for them to have £100k.

My point is that Eriksen has proven himself a lot more worthy of £100k than a lot of players in the Premier League in his position who are already getting it. Therefore if that's what it'll take to keep him - do it.

do you think he has outperformed the rest of our squad, if he gets 100k a week shouldn't Lloris, Rose, Walker, Verts, Toby, Dier, Lamela, Kane, Alli, Dembele?

thats probably 350k a week more on the wage bill

If you can get them for 70 or 80 then of course there's no reason for them to have £100k.

My point is that Eriksen has proven himself a lot more worthy of £100k than a lot of players in the Premier League in his position who are already getting it. Therefore if that's what it'll take to keep him - do it.

No no no.

You do it.

do you think he has outperformed the rest of our squad, if he gets 100k a week shouldn't Lloris, Rose, Walker, Verts, Toby, Dier, Lamela, Kane, Alli, Dembele?

thats probably 350k a week more on the wage bill

Other than Kane and possibly Lloris, Eriksen has been our best player for the most part over the last 3 season, I used that timeframe as players like Toby and Alli were better than him last season. Granted there have been times when he has been invisible, but you can say the same and then some for Dembele and Lamela for example.

Find it quite laughable that people are holding Coutinho up as some shining beacon of what Eriksen should be even though Eriksen has outperformed him every season since they've both been in England by pretty much every single measure you can think of - save for perhaps goal of the month nominations and cringeworthy twitter fanboy accounts.

You think Eriksen is inconsistent? The reason that Coutinho is still at Liverpool is because for every world class performance like yesterday he'll have 5-10 games that he spends shooting into row Z from 30 yards, attempting hollywood passes that don't come off and getting tackled when trying to hang onto the ball for too long. I think some of you really don't appreciate just how consistent Eriksen is when compared to his competition actually...

I will take that as a direct shot towards this bough and respond.
Because it is simple.
IF Christian Eriksen wants to be even the highest-paid player at our club, he needs to lead the club and be the difference-maker that can turn games which are balanced. We drew far too many games last season, and whilst he is obviously not responsible for all of them, it is fair to expect him to have stepped up and grabbed a few of them by the scruff and make the moments happen.
Like Bale.
Say what you like, he is currently a 70-75k a week player (I believe he will get no more than 80-85k), and I would have Lloris, Kane, Dembele and possibly even Toby ahead of him in the importance stakes. Dier too if he continues to be what he is. Alli as well, ditto. Lorries and Kane have proven themselves.

I want him to prove me wrong.
I also want to be wrong SUIYHA. Desperately. I will scoff humble-pie and cheer with everyone if he steps up and becomes 'the main man' consistently.

p.s. Coutinho is a quality player in the same orbit as Eriksen. Let's see which becomes the world-beater. I don't 'do' twitter mate, have an account but haven't checked it in ages. Heinous thing.

Last edited:
Thank GHod for that, some sense at last. I can not believe that there are some Spurs fans actually doubting the ability that Eriksen has and the plusses he brings to our team.

He has the ability, he has the ability to be BETTER than he is, and if he wants to be THE big money player at our club then I EXPECT to see that progression.
When we really needed him last season, you know, Baggies, Newcash, those sorts of games, he wasn't there. And if he'd been able to pay with a bit more zip first 45 on Saturday (although he was not the only culprit of course) we'd have won IMO.
This discussion is (for me) beyond what you're saying. Those things are obvious, what isn't quite so obvious (to me anyway) is why he should become our highest-paid player?

Too inconsistent to warrant that rumoured weekly wage.

He needs to do allot more. It's no wonder he came to us and the bigger clubs decided against signing him. He's not a top top player. Personally think he is just above average. Far too many games pass him by.

Spoke to my father on this one....

He said that situations like these when a story comes out in the press during new contract negotiations, indicating that the player wants an extremely large amount in order to stay, it is usually the club that will leak that sort information to appease the fans in case the player ends up being sold.

I see the point you're making, but again, I disagree.
I could (like your good self) name a dozen players on 100k a week which I consider to be absolute robbery.
And by that sole criteria, yes, you're right.
But by the way our club is operated, he simply hasn't done any more than half a dozen players under Poch to warrant such a drastic leap.
I think if he were to double and top-by-10k his current (admittedly under-wedged) pay, that would be fair under the current circumstances. Maybe build a clause in which says that if we win a trophy or maintain CL placement and win a trophy, he gets a fat bump (which I am sure will be part of it anyway)...

He has the ability, he has the ability to be BETTER than he is, and if he wants to be THE big money player at our club then I EXPECT to see that progression.
When we really needed him last season, you know, Baggies, Newcash, those sorts of games, he wasn't there. And if he'd been able to pay with a bit more zip first 45 on Saturday (although he was not the only culprit of course) we'd have won IMO.
This discussion is (for me) beyond what you're saying. Those things are obvious, what isn't quite so obvious (to me anyway) is why he should become our highest-paid player?

It sounds to me like you are falling for flimflam rumours ( which is very unlike you) that he is demanding a 150,000 pounds contract. He has already come out and told the idiots not to believe everything they read in the papers, teletext, and some blog by some one with to much time on their hands.

Eriksen is one of our most importent players was the point i was trying to make in my post and some of the flimflam ( imo) that i have read in this thread is way over the top. As for could he have done better last season? well the answer to that is YES but then you can say that about all our players. The day ANY player can not does not think they can improve is the day they start going backwards.

Too inconsistent to warrant that rumoured weekly wage.

He needs to do allot more. It's no wonder he came to us and the bigger clubs decided against signing him. He's not a top top player. Personally think he is just above average. Far too many games pass him by.

I do not think that is correct as i am sure he had the chance to sign for some of the bigger clubs in Italy ( and for more money) but choose us instead.

Eriksen is a quality player and deserves to be in top group of earners at club, a few points

- We don't know what his demands are (nor does the media)
- He has not hit his ceiling, obvious from the seasons we had him, when he is in form, he is a massive player for us.

I'm sure the club would work it out, but my view would be

- He can be in/around the salary range of Lamela, Kane, Hugo (I think he's that important)
- If he wants more money than that, it should be target/bonus based (both his personal, i.e. goals/assists, as well as team targets, win cup, CL QF, etc)

i'd be surprised if that was the case, surely the first point of comparison is colleagues in the same organisation

Not really, he would rightly see himself as having a unique skill set within the spurs squad, so would compare himself to others in other teams who at least play in similar positions and are as productive.

We have no right to expect him to accept far less pay then he would recieve elsewhere, especially when so many on here show so little loyalty to players like Mason.

It sounds to me like you are falling for hogwash rumours ( which is very unlike you) that he is demanding a 150,000 pounds contract. He has already come out and told the idiots not to believe everything they read in the papers, tacoter, and some blog by some one with to much time on their hands.

Eriksen is one of our most importent players was the point i was trying to make in my post and some of the hogwash ( imo) that i have read in this thread is way over the top. As for could he have done better last season? well the answer to that is YES but then you can say that about all our players. The day ANY player can not does not think they can improve is the day they start going backwards.

No worries there mate, not falling for the figure quoted.
I would wager the '150k' has been leaked and not necessarily by his agent.
But I am under no illusion that the chap's agent is lobbying to make him the highest paid player at the club (who tried twice last season to 'up' his money), and for that to be a reality (at our club anyway) I believe he needs to show more OR sign a contract offering him a good bump on par with our best and negotiate clauses for better.

i think he deserves to be in the same bracket as our other top earners but he isn't at a level where he can deservedly make himself our sole top earner - and im sure that is eventually where the two sides will settle.

If he feels he deserves to earn more than his team mates then really he needs to show himself to be more important than them - at the moment i think it's fair to say he's one of our best players but it'd be hard to argue he is out in front of Lloris Dembele Kane Alderweireld and Lamela to such a degree that he should be in a higher wage bracket. also i think comparing wages of players at other teams doesn't really work - he's a Spurs player and we have our pay structure and if that can't accommodate certain players then so be it

I will take that as a direct shot towards this bough and respond.
Because it is simple.
IF Christian Eriksen wants to be even the highest-paid player at our club, he needs to lead the club and be the difference-maker that can turn games which are balanced. We drew far too many games last season, and whilst he is obviously not responsible for all of them, it is fair to expect him to have stepped up and grabbed a few of them by the scruff and make the moments happen.
Like Bale.
Say what you like, he is currently a 70-75k a week player (I believe he will get no more than 80-85k), and I would have Lloris, Kane, Dembele and possibly even Toby ahead of him in the importance stakes. Dier too if he continues to be what he is. Alli as well, ditto. Lorries and Kane have proven themselves.

I want him to prove me wrong.
I also want to be wrong SUIYHA. Desperately. I will scoff humble-pie and cheer with everyone if he steps up and becomes 'the main man' consistently.

p.s. Coutinho is a quality player in the same orbit as Eriksen. Let's see which becomes the world-beater. I don't 'do' twitter mate, have an account but haven't checked it in ages. Heinous thing.

I would argue he is more important than Dembele and Alli. People seem to forget how long Dembele flattered to deceive for until he finally showed everyone what he is capable of last season. Alli will more than likely go on to have a great career and probably play for one of the top clubs in the world, but he's only done it in one season so far anyway. Eriksen has gone missing in quite a number of games, no doubt about it, but he was our best player during his first season at the club and was arguably our 2nd best player after Kane in his second season.

He wasn't quite as good in terms of goals scored last campaign, but he was still our most creative player.

As others have alluded to, if we were to buy a player of Eriksen's quality and age, he would want close to 100k a week or perhaps more. Some posters are quite laidback about the prospect of replacing him with someone younger, but we would be in the same position in 2-3 years. I think it's important we keep turnover to a minimum where we can and retain our best players.

i think he deserves to be in the same bracket as our other top earners but he isn't at a level where he can deservedly make himself our sole top earner - and im sure that is eventually where the two sides will settle.

If he feels he deserves to earn more than his team mates then really he needs to show himself to be more important than them - at the moment i think it's fair to say he's one of our best players but it'd be hard to argue he is out in front of Lloris Dembele Kane Alderweireld and Lamela to such a degree that he should be in a higher wage bracket. also i think comparing wages of players at other teams doesn't really work - he's a Spurs player and we have our pay structure and if that can't accommodate certain players then so be it

Exactly my feelings as stated mate.

I would argue he is more important than Dembele and Alli. People seem to forget how long Dembele flattered to deceive for until he finally showed everyone what he is capable of last season. Alli will more than likely go on to have a great career and probably play for one of the top clubs in the world, but he's only done it in one season so far anyway. Eriksen has gone missing in quite a number of games, no doubt about it, but he was our best player during his first season at the club and was arguably our 2nd best player after Kane in his second season.

He wasn't quite as good in terms of goals scored last campaign, but he was still our most creative player.

As others have alluded to, if we were to buy a player of Eriksen's quality and age, he would want close to 100k a week or perhaps more. Some posters are quite laidback about the prospect of replacing him with someone younger, but we would be in the same position in 2-3 years. I think it's important we keep turnover to a minimum where we can and retain our best players.

On the first bolded point, sadly I think the final few games of the season disproves that theory at this moment.
On the second, you're probably bang on point BUT I personally feel there is even more in there (enough to catapult him past, say, Ozil)
On the third, I have to sort of agree with you...I think IF this does not happen, it has to be because we have a big-money replacement really to come in. Otherwise yes, expecting youth to fill that gap would be churlish, foolish and a few other 'ishes!

I think 85k a week with some serious clauses will suit all parties and we will move on with (hopefully) an Eriksen ready to become a world-beater.

I just wish fans would stop believing this is all down to greed on the part of Eriksen.

Whereas this feels like it's all about his agent trying to play hardball with Levy a-la Jeremy Peace. Levy knows that deep down Eriksen wants to stay so that's one of his aces.

Parking all the blame on Eriksen is corrosive not only to the player, but by extension the squad and ultimately the club. As fans we need to accept that agents will always try to get the best deal they can.

Fortunately we can all take comfort from the fact Levy is the brick wall his agent will have to breach first. So let's just sit back and let it play itself out. My money is on Eriksen staying put and settling for something well short of six-figures, but we'll see.

Food for thought on Eriksen's contract value.... Leicester are offering Danny Drinkwater £80,000 a week to sign a new contract. He has (so far) refused the deal.

Back