• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

So to go back to the players I mentioned previously and put some wage figures alongside each of them:

Ozil - £140k a week at Arsenal and reportedly being offered £200k a week to sign a new deal.
Mahrez - just signed a new deal at Leicester worth £100k a week
Vardy - signed an £80k a week deal at Leicester last season, who then gave him another contract worth £100k a week after Arsenal's interest.
Kane - rumoured to be negotiating a £100k a week contract at Spurs
Aguero - £240k a week at Emirates Marketing Project
Lukaku - offered over £100k a week by Everton
Payet - £125k a week at West Ham
Rooney - £200k a week at Man Utd
Sanchez £130k a week at Arsenal and has been offered £150k to sign a new deal

Any other players with 20+ goals + assists in the PL last season?

In light of the above does anyone on here think that Eriksen shouldn't be getting paid at least £100k at Spurs?

So to go back to the players I mentioned previously and put some wage figures alongside each of them:

Ozil - £140k a week at Arsenal and reportedly being offered £200k a week to sign a new deal.
Vardy - signed an £80k a week deal at Leicester last season, who then gave him another contract worth £100k a week after Arsenal's interest.

In light of the above does anyone on here think that Eriksen shouldn't be getting paid at least £100k at Spurs?

Yes. They are all grossly overpaid.

It's sheer desperation when Rooney or Ozil gets into 200k or more. They don't offer anywhere near enough to justify those wages. Ozil went completely missing second half of last season, Rooney is fat and slow, Aguero is injured half the time. The contracts Leicester are handing out, talk about shooting yourself in the foot. They'll be lucky to get half as many goals as last season from those players.

As long as he's appropriately positioned below all the better players than him - Lloris, Alder, Verts, Walker, Rose, Dier, Alli, Lamela and Kane.

He should be paid in line with our highest earners - which 100k is in the region of.

afaic what other teams pay their players is an irrelevance
It really isn't..... Let's say you join Barclays as a grad and after a few years you get promoted to the role of (for instance) Senior Risk Analyst. They offer you a salary of £100k a year off the back of your promotion. However HSBC, RBS, Citibank, UBS, Credit Suisse and JP Morgan are all looking for Senior Risk Analysts and paying £150k a year. Would you agree to the £100k a year on offer at Barclays, or would you go and talk to their rival Banks?

As long as he's appropriately positioned below all the better players than him - Lloris, Alder, Verts, Walker, Rose, Dier, Alli, Lamela and Kane.

Nonsense as usual GB. Most of the players in that list have had 1-2 seasons in which they have performed equal to or better than Eriksen.

Your second comment is bang on but he wasn't that good against Everton IMO, the 1st half in particular. He may have been involved in a lot of our good play but overall there wasn't a whole lot of that.

That game aside my own opinion on Eriksen is that he is vital to us, one of the top 5 performers in the team, but his potential to influence the game even more is just there bubbling under the surface. However good he is now he can certainly improve - the tools are all there. In saying that a marked improvement will not be easy as the next step up for him will be into that somewhat nebulous category of 'world class'. Eriksen has some amazing touches and vision, but also too much of what he tries just doesn't come off. The 1st half of the Everton match is a case in point. He had a little spell where his frustration was obvious after a series of misplaced passes one after the other. If he wants the big (big) bucks he needs to perform more consistently.

As for the tackling thing it is not a huge deal. The one thing I see missing is his reluctance to make the vital tackle (or tactical foul) when the time calls for it. You gotta do that. He also need to improve his free kicks which rarely hit the target any more.

Although I am a little critical of him above I know that selling him would be a monumental mistake for the club.

I never said he was that good ( none of our players really stood out) my point was i have seen some Spurs supporters say he was poor( and that was/is not true). As for the rest of your post i I can't dance with it, i have said before NONE of our players are world class and they can all improve on what they do. Not having a go at you as i usually think what you have to say is generally bang on but the bit about free kicks is overhyped by a lot of fans. For instance take a look at Goldenballs, most fans think he is great at them but when you actually look at his conversation rate ( compered to how many he took) its not that great and its the same for most if not all takers.

Of course he can improve at it and also the rest of his game just like all players can, the day a player stops improving is the day they start going backwards.

Yes. They are all grossly overpaid.

It's sheer desperation when Rooney or Ozil gets into 200k or more. They don't offer anywhere near enough to justify those wages. Ozil went completely missing second half of last season, Rooney is fat and slow, Aguero is injured half the time. The contracts Leicester are handing out, talk about shooting yourself in the foot. They'll be lucky to get half as many goals as last season from those players.

Whether they are overpaid or not isn't the issue. That's the going rate for players of that quality whether you like it or not.

It really isn't..... Let's say you join Barclays as a grad and after a few years you get promoted to the role of (for instance) Senior Risk Analyst. They offer you a salary of £100k a year off the back of your promotion. However HSBC, RBS, Citibank, UBS, Credit Suisse and JP Morgan are all looking for Senior Risk Analysts and paying £150k a year. Would you agree to the £100k a year on offer at Barclays, or would you go and talk to their rival Banks?

I think you're reaching a bit with that analogy tbh mate - If his contract was up this summer and he was getting offers from these clubs then he'd be able to use that as leverage but I don't see there being many clubs willing to pay him more than he could get here (assuming he gets offered a contract in line with Kane) along with the huge transfer fee it would take to get him this summer or next - we can't really compete with the interest of the money clubs so no use worrying about what they pay their players and the smaller clubs than us in this league may be able to pay the odd player a bit more but would he see much career progression in being a well paid big fish in a small pond if the club can't match our overall wage budget to suitably improve their whole squad? I doubt that

I think you're reaching a bit with that analogy tbh mate - If his contract was up this summer and he was getting offers from these clubs then he'd be able to use that as leverage but I don't see there being many clubs willing to pay him more than he could get here (assuming he gets offered a contract in line with Kane) along with the huge transfer fee it would take to get him this summer or next - we can't really compete with the interest of the money clubs so no use worrying about what they pay their players and the smaller clubs than us in this league may be able to pay the odd player a bit more but would he see much career progression in being a well paid big fish in a small pond if the club can't match our overall wage budget to suitably improve their whole squad? I doubt that
He now has less than 2 years left. Many of those players I mentioned above with comparable goal + assist numbers had 2 or more years left on their contracts when offered their new terms.

In a year's time we would not receive a huge transfer fee for him.

He now has less than 2 years left. Many of those players I mentioned above with comparable goal + assist numbers had 2 or more years left on their contracts when offered their new terms.

In a year's time we would not receive a huge transfer fee for him.

essentially it's 2 years and all but one of the players you listed earning more than what we pay our highest earner play for clubs with far bigger budgets available to pay players than we have - its the reality of modern football, players will earn more in wages playing for bigger/richer clubs - regardless of whether they are better than players at the smaller clubs.

i have no doubt that in the current climate we'd get a good fee for him even going in to the last year of his contract (if it came to that) a fee that any smaller club will not be likely to pay (along with the wage that he wouldn't be able to turn down)

Whether they are overpaid or not isn't the issue. That's the going rate for players of that quality whether you like it or not.

it's the going rate for a player of that quality IF they are sought after by the richest clubs in the game - there will be the odd example of a small club over paying their top players to keep them there (West Ham/Payet) but it's not reflective of what they will or are capable of paying to everyone that joins them

You would, if you were a human being with some substance and not just a cash-chaser , take into account your working environment, your boss, your colleagues and your overall quality of life. Again, that is if you live life for more than just money, and recognize that you already get generous compensation regardless. You might also look for some sort of long-term security in taking that offer PERHAPS based on letting them know that you have been 'head-hunted'...

There is more to life than money, especially when you are already in the top percentile.

Last edited:

It isn't, as our squad is already proof of.

28E67EC100000578-3089116-image-m-4_1432127725220.jpg

Two Spanish sides, one French, one German, one Italian and five English sides pay more than us. They all make a lot more than us as well (through cheating or otherwise).

Me.
He should be getting paid on level with our club's core performers.
If you start looking to the left and right, if you start letting that dictate how you operate your business model, you will end up losing everything. A bit like looking at the neighbors across the street with their new Aston Martin DB 11 and hurtling forth into financing one when your TRUE ceiling is actually a BMW 7 until you get that promised-promotion in two year's time. If you take on too much too soon, you might end up losing it all.

BTW mate, my last two responses are in the spirit of debate (to be clear) and I certainly can see the argument you're presenting I just don't agree. But good discussion!

Last edited:
I never said he was that good ( none of our players really stood out) my point was i have seen some Spurs supporters say he was poor( and that was/is not true). As for the rest of your post i I can't dance with it, i have said before NONE of our players are world class and they can all improve on what they do. Not having a go at you as i usually think what you have to say is generally bang on but the bit about free kicks is overhyped by a lot of fans. For instance take a look at Goldenballs, most fans think he is great at them but when you actually look at his conversation rate ( compered to how many he took) its not that great and its the same for most if not all takers.

Of course he can improve at it and also the rest of his game just like all players can, the day a player stops improving is the day they start going backwards.
I hear you and I do realise that free kicks rarely go in, but I would be more concerned with his accuracy rather than his conversion rate. He rarely hits the target these days which is not really good enough for someone with his dead ball striking skills. Anyway you are probably right, it is not a major point.

Last edited:
Back