• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

It's all about 'market rate'.... In any industry a company has to be aware of what it's competitors are paying and adjust their own remuneration packages accordingly to avoid their talented employees moving elsewhere.

Regarding building the new stadium.... This should not have an impact on the salaries that we can pay our players. I believe our chairman has been pretty clear that we look to operate paying 55% of our turnover in wages. Any money required to pay for the stadium should come from the remaining 45% of our income. Remember that once we are in the new stadium our revenue will go up considerably, which will enable us to pay off the finance taken out to build the stadium. We will also have a decent chunk of extra revenue from our CL qualification this year - I have no problem with that being lumped into the stadium as it is effectively 'bonus revenue' that cannot be counted on year on year, whereas our revenue from tickets, sponsorship and PL broadcasting is pretty much guaranteed.

Not to mention naming rights for the new stadium which should generate at least £100m

If we rate him at £50M would we not need to pay him (and others ) wages to reflect this? If the likes of West Ham /stoke etc are paying £100K+ a week for their top players will we not need to up our wages to stay competitive?

We have been on a good run recently but we cant keep on unearthing talents at some point our wage bill will grow.

Apparently not.

we will probably offer him 50-70k a week.If he accepts fine if not we will get 50 mill for a player we paid 12 for and will find another player as a replacement.We lost Bale and Modric and life carried out Eriksen isn't really close to those at all.If Juve offer 50 mill plus we should snap their hands off.Of course its better he stays but if its not possible then so be it.
I don't think Eriksen will sign a deal on those wages.... I think it will take closer to £100k.

You make out that it is easy to replace a player like Eriksen. I agree that life carried on after Modric and Bale, but in both instances we became a weaker team in the season that followed. Also consider if we'd been lucky enough to keep both of those players where we could be right now? Additionally if we were to replace Eriksen with a player of equal quality then we would probably have to pay that player close to £100k a week to persuade him to join us. Surely with that in mind we would be better off simply keeping Eriksen who has already proven himself in England and, equally importantly, Pochettino's team?

If we rate him at £50M would we not need to pay him (and others ) wages to reflect this? If the likes of West Ham /stoke etc are paying £100K+ a week for their top players will we not need to up our wages to stay competitive?

We have been on a good run recently but we cant keep on unearthing talents at some point our wage bill will grow.

I don't think we should hold up clubs like West Ham and Stoke as examples of what we should be doing, financially speaking. West Ham have always thrown money at their 'star' players - and it hasn't really ever done them much good.

they have to pay over the odds to get a player to accept the lower profile of the club, the value of those players is higher for them relatively as they are getting a higher talent level than their status suggests

in our position it's more difficult to attract such players as their are fewer of them

we'd have to compete on wages for "squad players" at the elite clubs and we can't afford that

Spoke to my father on this one....

He said that situations like these when a story comes out in the press during new contract negotiations, indicating that the player wants an extremely large amount in order to stay, it is usually the club that will leak that sort information to appease the fans in case the player ends up being sold.

I don't think we should hold up clubs like West Ham and Stoke as examples of what we should be doing, financially speaking. West Ham have always thrown money at their 'star' players - and it hasn't really ever done them much good.
I disagree with you here....

Typically over the last decade we have paid the 6th highest wages in the league. Over that same decade we have managed to finish between 4th and 6th in the league (with our average position probably being 5th). There is generally a pretty direct correlation between a club's wage bill and where they finish in the league. If West Ham and Stoke manage to somehow operate a wage bill closer to (and perhaps even in advance of) ours then, statistically they would be likely to match or even outperform us going forward.

Typically over the last decade we have paid the 6th highest wages in the league. Over that same decade we have managed to finish between 4th and 6th in the league (with our average position probably being 5th). There is generally a pretty direct correlation between a club's wage bill and where they finish in the league. If West Ham and Stoke manage to somehow operate a wage bill closer to (and perhaps even in advance of) ours then, statistically they would be likely to match or even outperform us going forward.

I think either club would have to show a consistent run of form over a number of seasons which shows them capable of over performing their wage budget to a similar level as us, before I would worry about that tbh

West Ham were getting relegated with a top 10 wage budget not so long ago

Of course though overall wage budget is the best marker of where a club should be aiming to finish - but we have a bigger budget than your West Hams and your Stokes, and thats not likely to change anytime soon - them paying the odd player more than us doesn't change that

Last edited:
I think either club would have to show a consistent run of form over a number of seasons which shows them capable of over performing their wage budget to a similar level as us, before I would worry about that tbh

West Ham were getting relegated with a top 10 wage budget not so long ago
Perhaps.... but you cannot shy away from the fact that typically the league table overall 1 to 20 isn't too far away from the wage table 1 to 20 (of course last season was quite a big anomaly to this).

I think average wage is more important than highest wage in that situation

Perhaps.... but you cannot shy away from the fact that typically the league table overall 1 to 20 isn't too far away from the wage table 1 to 20 (of course last season was quite a big anomaly to this).

Edited my post whilst you were replying and now Galeforce has put it better than me anyway

I think average wage is more important than highest wage in that situation

They are quite linked though, as you get the tracker terms. E.g. middle profile players like Walker and Son could be guaranteed to earn at least 75% of the highest earner etc.

They are quite linked though, as you get the tracker terms. E.g. middle profile players like Walker and Son could be guaranteed to earn at least 75% of the highest earner etc.

probably (although I don't see a player in our squad who should be on more than Walker, he contributes as much as any other player)

my point was that Stoke, for example, can't just pay a mercurial winger 250k a week and expect to achieve with a couple of 15k a week centre backs, spending alone won't make the difference

Crystal Palace’s crisis has been deepened by a bitter dressing room rift.

Mirror Sport can reveal there is major resentment within the squad over the vast differences in contracts within the squad.

The split has emerged as the club have slipped into relegation trouble and they have yet to win a Premier League game in 2016, and it could undermine the club’s fight for survival.

Palace players like Dwight Gayle and Yannick Bolasie are fed-up that team mates are on much bigger money.

Bolasie has been one of Palace’s top players but is earning a fraction of the club’s best paid players, even compared to Connor Wickham who earns £55,000-a-week.

Their contracts are dwarfed by Yohan Cabaye who is on £80,000-a-week and Palace are paying £70,000-a-week towards Emmanuel Adebayor’s £100,000-a-week contract with former club Tottenham picking up the rest.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/crystal-palace-crisis-deepened-squad-7672287

This is what happens when you start giving one or two players contracts beyond the current structure.

If someone would rather sit on Chelsea's bench in order to make 50k extra, then fudge them.

Mirror Sport can reveal there is major resentment within the squad over the vast differences in contracts within the squad.

The split has emerged as the club have slipped into relegation trouble and they have yet to win a Premier League game in 2016, and it could undermine the club’s fight for survival.

Palace players like Dwight Gayle and Yannick Bolasie are fed-up that team mates are on much bigger money.

Bolasie has been one of Palace’s top players but is earning a fraction of the club’s best paid players, even compared to Connor Wickham who earns £55,000-a-week.

Their contracts are dwarfed by Yohan Cabaye who is on £80,000-a-week and Palace are paying £70,000-a-week towards Emmanuel Adebayor’s £100,000-a-week contract with former club Tottenham picking up the rest.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/crystal-palace-crisis-deepened-squad-7672287

This is what happens when you start giving one or two players contracts beyond the current structure.

If someone would rather sit on Chelsea's bench in order to make 50k extra, then fudge them.

There's a big difference to bringing in mercenaries like Adebayor or Cabaye on big wages (similar to what QPR did) than rewarding loyal players who have proven themselves to be some of your best and most important players over a few seasons.

There's a big difference to bringing in mercenaries like Adebayor or Cabaye on big wages (similar to what QPR did) than rewarding loyal players who have proven themselves to be some of your best and most important players over a few seasons.

But why reward some more than others? Why should anyone get 100k or more if we can get them to sign for 70 or 80?

lol we passed the ade like a virus to them!

But why reward some more than others? Why should anyone get 100k or more if we can get them to sign for 70 or 80?

If you can get them for 70 or 80 then of course there's no reason for them to have £100k.

My point is that Eriksen has proven himself a lot more worthy of £100k than a lot of players in the Premier League in his position who are already getting it. Therefore if that's what it'll take to keep him - do it.

Back