• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Why should we give someone who's already making obscene amounts of money a wage increase just because another club are giving their players more? Makes no sense.

Let's forget about building a new stadium or having any money at all available for new signings. Poor souls can barely get by on their current salary.

We've done incredibly well at times when you consider our wage bill compared to our rivals. But money talks and I fear we COULD eventually get left behind.

Re the stadium, don't suppose you've heard of the new tv deal that's worth reportedly 10 billion between the 20 clubs? I supposed we could possibly use some of that.

The money in the game is obscene and I abhor it just as I don't like players seemingly caring more about CL qualification than winning trophies but that's the way the game is. Regardless of what we decide to pay Kane, Lloris etc, Eriksen should be among the top earners.

I'm sorry, he is a really really good player but he has not had two and a half stellar seasons. He has blown away everyone for passages of the last two and a half seasons, and equally hit poor patches of form too. I want more consistency before he gets paid as much as Kane!

Agreed. Eriksen needs to start being much more consistent. He has the ability but doesn't take enough games by the scruff of the neck as he should. His free kicks and corners only emphasise this for me. This weekend, Barklay, Coutinho and Shaqiri all scored direct from free kicks, while Chambers and Rondon scored from free kick crosses.

Has Eriksen scored direct from a free kick since his Swansea brace? I can't even remember the last time he got one on target. He really seems to have regressed in this aspect and it may be time to start sharing this duty around.

If we increase the top 2-3 to that level, then everyone else on £50k or so will want £100k

We have to raise the wage bill at some point so eventually we will have the problem.

If you ran a company and one of your employees came to you and asked a for a big pay raise to be in line with the top 3-4 workers in the same department even if their performance or worth to the company was not as great? Most would kindly tell them where to go.

we will probably offer him 50-70k a week.If he accepts fine if not we will get 50 mill for a player we paid 12 for and will find another player as a replacement.We lost Bale and Modric and life carried out Eriksen isn't really close to those at all.If Juve offer 50 mill plus we should snap their hands off.Of course its better he stays but if its not possible then so be it.

We have to raise the wage bill at some point so eventually we will have the problem.

If you ran a company and one of your employees came to you and asked a for a big pay raise to be in line with the top 3-4 workers in the same department even if their performance or worth to the company was not as great? Most would kindly tell them where to go.
That's not what I'm suggesting would happen.

I'm suggesting that raising the top line will increase what everyone wants, not that they'd all want the same as the top.

In terms of raising it at some point, we'll only have to do that as we become more successful. As we do, we'll have more money to spend.

That's not what I'm suggesting would happen.

I'm suggesting that raising the top line will increase what everyone wants, not that they'd all want the same as the top.

In terms of raising it at some point, we'll only have to do that as we become more successful. As we do, we'll have more money to spend.

Would you not say we have become relatively more successful in the past 7-8 years or so? In terms of trophies it has been disappointing, but three top 4 finishes in the last 7 seasons and not finishing out of the top 6 in that same time.

If we increase the top 2-3 to that level, then everyone else on £50k or so will want £100k

Players wont be looking at the wages of the rest of our squad when negociating new contracts, they will be looking at the wages of comparative players in the prem. Either that or they should be sacking their agents.

What we pay the rest of the squad is somewhat irrelevant.

Players wont be looking at the wages of the rest of our squad when negociating new contracts, they will be looking at the wages of comparative players in the prem. Either that or they should be sacking their agents.

i'd be surprised if that was the case, surely the first point of comparison is colleagues in the same organisation

When the unsustainably run clubs start to collapse, all those players will be flogged for pennies to China and UAE.

Yeah I'm such a radical for wanting our very best players to get paid the going rate for players of their stature and age. In fact, it isn't even the going rate, 100k a week is the standard for borderline average players, not just players who have topped the goalscoring charts for two years in a row. But let's just keep paying them 30-50k a week forever.

Feeling the need to put words into my mouth ?

Your case isn't that weak, just argue it through logically.

Think you'll be waiting a while for that to happen.

All bubbles burst. This is just coke-fuelled excesses before the crash.

95% are building no structures. Not repairing the roof while the sun shines. It's why England is so poor at football, while it excels in most other sports.

Would you not say we have become relatively more successful in the past 7-8 years or so? In terms of trophies it has been disappointing, but three top 4 finishes in the last 7 seasons and not finishing out of the top 6 in that same time.
And in that time we've increased what we pay our players.

Can we double your ticket prices to cover it?
You don't need to. The PL TV deal has added an additional £30 million a year to our turnover. At a standard 55% wage to turnover ratio that equates to an extra £16.5 million a year on the wage budget, or approximately £320,000 per week.

Find it quite laughable that people are holding Coutinho up as some shining beacon of what Eriksen should be even though Eriksen has outperformed him every season since they've both been in England by pretty much every single measure you can think of - save for perhaps goal of the month nominations and cringeworthy twitter fanboy accounts.

You think Eriksen is inconsistent? The reason that Coutinho is still at Liverpool is because for every world class performance like yesterday he'll have 5-10 games that he spends shooting into row Z from 30 yards, attempting hollywood passes that don't come off and getting tackled when trying to hang onto the ball for too long. I think some of you really don't appreciate just how consistent Eriksen is when compared to his competition actually...

All bubbles burst. This is just coke-fuelled excesses before the crash.

95% are building no structures. Not repairing the roof while the sun shines. It's why England is so poor at football, while it excels in most other sports.
Hmmmm - I don't think that crash will happen any time soon. The numbers paid for the UK rights are probably close to saturation point, however the numbers paid for the overseas rights still have a huge amount of potential upside. I think there will also soon be vastly increased revenues from streaming on the internet.

Find it quite laughable that people are holding Coutinho up as some shining beacon of what Eriksen should be even though Eriksen has outperformed him every season since they've both been in England by pretty much every single measure you can think of - save for perhaps goal of the month nominations and cringeworthy twitter fanboy accounts.

You think Eriksen is inconsistent? The reason that Coutinho is still at Liverpool is because for every world class performance like yesterday he'll have 5-10 games that he spends shooting into row Z from 30 yards, attempting hollywood passes that don't come off and getting tackled when trying to hang onto the ball for too long. I think some of you really don't appreciate just how consistent Eriksen is when compared to his competition actually...

Thank GHod for that, some sense at last. I can not believe that there are some Spurs fans actually doubting the ability that Eriksen has and the plusses he brings to our team.

Why should we give someone who's already making obscene amounts of money a wage increase just because another club are giving their players more? Makes no sense.

Let's forget about building a new stadium or having any money at all available for new signings. Poor souls can barely get by on their current salary.
It's all about 'market rate'.... In any industry a company has to be aware of what it's competitors are paying and adjust their own remuneration packages accordingly to avoid their talented employees moving elsewhere.

Regarding building the new stadium.... This should not have an impact on the salaries that we can pay our players. I believe our chairman has been pretty clear that we look to operate paying 55% of our turnover in wages. Any money required to pay for the stadium should come from the remaining 45% of our income. Remember that once we are in the new stadium our revenue will go up considerably, which will enable us to pay off the finance taken out to build the stadium. We will also have a decent chunk of extra revenue from our CL qualification this year - I have no problem with that being lumped into the stadium as it is effectively 'bonus revenue' that cannot be counted on year on year, whereas our revenue from tickets, sponsorship and PL broadcasting is pretty much guaranteed.

If we rate him at £50M would we not need to pay him (and others ) wages to reflect this? If the likes of West Ham /stoke etc are paying £100K+ a week for their top players will we not need to up our wages to stay competitive?

We have been on a good run recently but we cant keep on unearthing talents at some point our wage bill will grow.

Back