• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Noticed he's just hit a ten-minute hat trick in a friendly v Bulgaria. Worth bumping the thread up as it is a real shame we won't be seeing him at the Euros.

Good way to end a good season for the lead, well played Chrissy

Bulgarian 'keeper, seriously crap.

Got to agree. First goal he should have palmed it away at least, but lovely finish by Christian. 2nd one his is soooo slow getting down to that shot. 3rd, lovely finish and a run in behind for the goal. He does not do that for us. Must be down to the position he plays for us.

Oh and Schmeichel looking quite chunky in that video.

2nd one through the legs is hard to see.
3rd one was the classic "between the knee and elbow" placed shot - excellent, though it looks easy you need a cool head to execute it.

Still no news on a new contract, and he only has two years left to go on his current one - well, a little under two years, given that they usually end on July 1st. I know I'm not the only one beginning to think that we might see him go this summer if an agreement can't be reached.

Still no news on a new contract, and he only has two years left to go on his current one - well, a little under two years, given that they usually end on July 1st. I know I'm not the only one beginning to think that we might see him go this summer if an agreement can't be reached.

Levy doesn't let contracts run down, so I would agree.

However, I fully expect he will sign a new contract, a CL season, the club (hopefully) strengthening the squad, Poch still here, a chance for him to step up another level.

Levy doesn't let contracts run down, so I would agree.

However, I fully expect he will sign a new contract, a CL season, the club (hopefully) strengthening the squad, Poch still here, a chance for him to step up another level.

Oh, yeah, I have no doubts about Levy and contracts - he doesn't mess about in that regard.

But I'm not as assured as you are about Eriksen signing a new one, at least long-term - he's mentioned before that he has some 'secret plan' (iirc) that he follows in terms of his career, and also that he sees it as a journey of sorts, across leagues and (new) challenges.

Hopefully we seem him sign a new long-term deal, see him in our colours for another couple of seasons and then (depending on how he feels) negotiate an amicable separation for all involved if he wants to move on. But I have a suspicion that he might not extend for more than a year or two (if that). And if that's the case, it's up to Levy whether to take that deal or look to move him on. Certainly, he's provided sterling contributions to the club, worked very hard (closing down with unusual energy for an attacking midfielder), never kicked up a fuss and has proved to be the best of the post-Bale lot in terms of value for money, so it's hard to begrudge him anything either way.

You offer them a 'good' contract. If he or whoever does not like it there is very little one can do to stop them leaving.

He is not that good we would not be able to look elsewhere.

I like him in a Spurs shirt and would miss him, but we know the way it works don't we!

Trying to double guess these type of situations is foolish?

I hope we keep Eriksen, but i do wonder if he does leave it'll be because he wants to give his body a rest; he had said i think last year that the training regime at Spurs under Poch was the most physically gruelling he had ever had.
There will come a point where the upside of that will have to be matched by trophies and clear signs of pushing on up the 'success table.'
Creative players like that will ask "do i have to work THIS hard to achieve, when i could work less hard and still be a success at other clubs further up the chain".
Hopefully there doesn't come a point where the pressing style we have is viewed as nothing more than a posh version of "running about a bit":D

I hope we keep Eriksen, but i do wonder if he does leave it'll be because he wants to give his body a rest; he had said i think last year that the training regime at Spurs under Poch was the most physically gruelling he had ever had.
There will come a point where the upside of that will have to be matched by trophies and clear signs of pushing on up the 'success table.'
Creative players like that will ask "do i have to work THIS hard to achieve, when i could work less hard and still be a success at other clubs further up the chain".
Hopefully there doesn't come a point where the pressing style we have is viewed as nothing more than a posh version of "running about a bit":D
Well if that is his mindset then we are better off rid. Thankfully though work ethic is not really his problem.

Well if that is his mindset then we are better off rid. Thankfully though work ethic is not really his problem.

I don't think it is necessarily, but look at it this way:

If you are a creative player who wants to play hard and create in an attacking team and NOT just train to be a krypton factor contestant, after a few years of a hard slog (perhaps with little payback in the scheme of things in terms of financial reward and trophies) why would you continue, particularly to the detriment of the silky skills you honed in the earlier part of your career?
Athletes in football are a dime a dozen; REALLY creative players (esp those who ARE prepared to work hard as well) as the REAL diamonds. At some point these diamonds will want more from their day job than just the krypton factor training regimes.

Basically, if we are nothing more than Krypton Factor training we will reach a ceiling in terms of attractiveness.
For me, Eriksen is currently our biggest indication of how things will go long-term with our current methods in that regard.
Football is about enjoyment as well in the end..

You offer them a 'good' contract. If he or whoever does not like it there is very little one can do to stop them leaving.

I like him in a Spurs shirt and would miss him, but we know the way it works don't we!

Oh, yeah, we could replace him, definitely. It helps that there's currently a surplus of attacking midfielders available, and that we have our own players who could, if they developed more, provide a good replacement for him (Edwards and Onomah spring to mind). But if he does ask to leave when no one expects him to, it's important to realize the contractual constraints we face, is all.

Also, @glorygloryeze makes a great point, and one that I hadn't considered before - if we don't win stuff or progress sufficiently over the next couple of seasons, there is a possibility that players say 'sod this, I could win more and earn more while working less in another side', given that even top teams don't run as much as we do while routinely winning more than we do and paying more than we choose to pay. It isn't a case of them being lazy as much as it is a case of them deciding that working extremely hard just for the sake of it isn't worth it when compared to winning things and earning the big bucks in a less strenuous system.

Oh, yeah, we could replace him, definitely. It helps that there's currently a surplus of attacking midfielders available, and that we have our own players who could, if they developed more, provide a good replacement for him (Edwards and Onomah spring to mind). But if he does ask to leave when no one expects him to, it's important to realize the contractual constraints we face, is all.

Also, @glorygloryeze makes a great point, and one that I hadn't considered before - if we don't win stuff or progress sufficiently over the next couple of seasons, there is a possibility that players say 'sod this, I could win more and earn more while working less in another side', given that even top teams don't run as much as we do while routinely winning more than we do and paying more than we choose to pay. It isn't a case of them being lazy as much as it is a case of them deciding that working extremely hard just for the sake of it isn't worth it when compared to winning things and earning the big bucks in a less strenuous system.

i don't think the hard work angle matters much in that instance, they'll be moving for more money and a better chance of silverware - would they also move if offered the same money as they get here by a club with a similar chance of success as ourselves? in that instance you could highlight the nature of our play/training to be a root cause

Back