• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

No problems not accepting an argument based on stats alone.

Assuming that the impression you get from things you see with your own eyes is trustworthy or itself alone an argument is just as bad as trusting an argument based on stats alone though.
Not arguing with that, that's why I want to see the fact behind the stat.
If Hugo rushes from his line to deal with a short back pass and hoofs the ball forward, it takes a wicked bounce deceiving the opposition goalie and Harry strolls in to roll it into an empty net, hugo gets the same assist as Eriksen running from half way, beating 6 defenders, drawing the goalie before rolling across the box for Harry to roll.
It's the application of the fact behind the stat prove what is generally a flawed point.
More often than not someone using stats to prove a point are actually using their interpretation of the stat.

Not arguing with that, that's why I want to see the fact behind the stat.
If Hugo rushes from his line to deal with a short back pass and hoofs the ball forward, it takes a wicked bounce deceiving the opposition goalie and Harry strolls in to roll it into an empty net, hugo gets the same assist as Eriksen running from half way, beating 6 defenders, drawing the goalie before rolling across the box for Harry to roll.
It's the application of the fact behind the stat prove what is generally a flawed point.
More often than not someone using stats to prove a point are actually using their interpretation of the stat.

Sure. The assist stat is "flawed" in this way. Just like the goals scored stat can be flawed. One striker takes all their teams penalties and scores 5 penalties in a season for a total of 15 goals, another striker for a different team doesn't take penalties and scored 12... Who was the most effective striker? And the Harry goal you described above counts just as much as a 1 yard tap into an open net after a rebound and some back and forth.

Over time players that are great goal threats will rack up more goals though. And over time players that create more and better chances will rack up more assists. The "roll the ball to Harry" thing just isn't going to happen often enough over a larger sample size. Which is why when you look at assist stats over a season or two it is actually at least somewhat informative.

But people presents stats as facts to win their argument, I like to chech the stats myself, and then, and only then, apply it in its proper context.

But people presents stats as facts to win their argument, I like to chech the stats myself, and then, and only then, apply it in its proper context.

Alternatively one can use stats to check up on one's own (biased) opinions, possibly falsifying impressions (or knowledge about how stats should be applied) in the process.

I thought X about some game or player. If that's true Y should probably be true about those stats. Check stats...

Yes sometimes stats are presented as part of an argument. As are opinions formed with one's own eyes...

Great game from Eriksen tonight.

Got on the ball a lot. Great touches, good metronome passing, kept the team ticking over and kept the ball for us at key times. You need ability like that in any good team, which we are.
Moments of class - kept that shot down very well at the start, forced the save and got the assist for Dele.
Great work rate, most distance covered in the team, got up and down. Great pressing and anticipation to get Harry in for the third.

I know our attacking players interchange a lot, but he's been good since finding himself more central as our #10 once more.

He did pussy out of a couple of 50/50's, but there you go.

We have developed a core or spine of players over the season. Lloris, Alderweireld, Dier, Eriksen, Kane. Probably harsh not including Dembele and Verts too.

Eriksen is key to us. Hope we can tie him to a new contract. Even when not playing well he keeps us ticking over. At 23 he can develop even more. A crucial player for us (who many were starting to question not long ago).

I know our attacking players interchange a lot, but he's been good since finding himself more central as our #10 once more.

He did pussy out of a couple of 50/50's, but there you go.

People always say that but I watch most games and he is rarely involved in 50/50s

I know, but the two times I saw it tonight, he clearly just backed down and didn't challenge. One in particular (early second half) he would have got to first had he wanted to.

I've been a harsh critic over the last few weeks, but he was truly excellent today.. More of the same please Christian. Many thanks.

We have developed a core or spine of players over the season. Lloris, Alderweireld, Dier, Eriksen, Kane. Probably harsh not including Dembele and Verts too.

Eriksen is key to us. Hope we can tie him to a new contract. Even when not playing well he keeps us ticking over. At 23 he can develop even more. A crucial player for us (who many were starting to question not long ago).

Not sure that's quite fair. I think a fair few of us (me included) were suggesting that his form had dropped a little. Which it had. There may be one or two dissenting voices, but I suspect almost everyone here knows that Eriksen is a great player and a very important member of our squad. But equally, there are few players who never hit a bad patch of form; and given our incredible range of talent in attacking midfield positions, it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that when one of those midfielders goes off the boil temporarily, we slot someone else in and give them a chance.

Thankfully Eriksen's dip appears to be over already, so it's not an issue right now. But if his form does drop off again, then we shouldn't be afraid of using our depth in midfield.

Back