• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Bumping this thread because Eriksen got 2 against Sunderland, was praised (above) for his Leicester performance, and yesterday he had some key moments that didn't quite come off so could be forgotten.

He flicked a lovely pass over the top for Alli, but the defender tracked it.
He crossed deep from the right to Rose who was 6 yards out but the keeper caught it.
He shot beautifully at the top corner, it just dipped afterwards, keeper nowhere.
His cushioned header to Alli for THAT GOAL was very clever and typical of him.
Probably some other stuff... just thought I would mention it, as he was being criticised for being a bit lightweight in general and around their goal (which was more Verts' mistake)

Here's more stuff for you: he and Dele Alli ran further than anyone else on the pitch yesterday - 7.2 miles each (mailonline). So much for being a lightweight.

Here's more stuff for you: he and Dele Alli ran further than anyone else on the pitch yesterday - 7.2 miles each (mailonline). So much for being a lightweight.

What does distance covered have to do with being a lightweight? He was still bottling out of 50:50s and it's that which people have a problem with, not how much ground he covers

What does distance covered have to do with being a lightweight? He was still bottling out of 50:50s and it's that which people have a problem with, not how much ground he covers
I don't think he's actually bottling it, it's often the case that what he's really trying to do is to outwit the player in possession by anticipating what he's going to do next so he can pick up the pieces. If you watch closely you'll see there's more than one way to skin a cat.

But my main point is at least he's putting himself about. Distance covered equals energy, commitment, involvement. Okay so tackling is not one of his strengths but it's not as though he's just fannying around, he's still trying to win back possession, putting in a challenge of sorts, getting in the way and generally doing his bit to win back possession.

Given he's never going to pull down trees when it comes to tackling, that'll do nicely for me.

You will never change a players courage in 50-50 type situations. Just like you can't change a persons personality. Eriksen will never make strong 50-50 challenges. Better to concentrate on all the attributes he does bring to the side.

You will never change a players courage in 50-50 type situations. Just like you can't change a persons personality. Eriksen will never make strong 50-50 challenges. Better to concentrate on all the attributes he does bring to the side.

I know, it was just a response to the posting of the ground covered stat which i thought was an irrelevance as to whether he was a 'bottler' or not.

And seeing people back out of winnable challenges is frustrating no matter who does it, and a player who does it consistently will get pulled up on it

Last edited:
I know, it was just a response to the posting of the ground covered stat which i thought was an irrelevance as to whether he was a 'bottler' or not.

And seeing people back out of winnable challenges is frustrating no matter who does it
Accusing Eriksen of being a bottler is to my mind unnecessarily OTT and simplistic. Like I said I really don't think the Dane is pulling out of challenges so much as using his wits.

Don't suppose you ever watched Blanchflower back in the day but he was a master at outwitting his opponent rather than putting in a tackle. One of his tricks was to point in one direction inviting the attacker to go that way whilst shaping his body to cover the other. More often than not Danny would come away with the ball simply through bamboozling the opponent into wondering which way to go.

Not for a moment saying this is what Eriksen does, just illustrating the point that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I do take your point about the difference between being a lightweight and distance covered but in Eriksen's case a lot of that running goes into chasing down players in possession. Once having caught up with an opponent, rather than risk getting done with a mistimed tackle, a skill he knows is not his forte, Eriksen is coy. He watches the ball closely and tries to anticipate what his opponent is going to do next so that at the right moment he can 'pick his pocket.'

At the end of the day, what does it matter if he does not go in hard so long as he is applying his skills the best way he knows how in order to win possession?

Well to me that just sounds like making excuses tbh - you don't outwit your opponent by getting out of his way when it looks like you have to make a challenge, at least not in my mind anyway. He's a good player, no harm in admitting his faults

Well to me that just sounds like making excuses tbh - you don't outwit your opponent by getting out of his way when it looks like you have to make a challenge, at least not in my mind anyway. He's a good player, no harm in admitting his faults

Could not agree more with that, all players have faults but some times fans seem to want to point out those faults rather then focus or their good points of which Eriksen has many.

The line of "ignore his faults and concentrate on his attributes" would be fine, if some posters applied it to the whole team, not just their favourites.
Eriksen can't/won't tackle, doesn't make him a bad player or his value to our team any less.

Erisken is wining a tackle a game in average. He is an attacking player and is winning the ball at least once a game.
He is also getting an interception a game on average. He is wining the ball general internal for turnover play
He is also getting assists and is out highest player for that
He is also getting goals
He also averages our third furthest distance per 90 minutes

All of those stats were correct up to a couple of games ago

Oh and yesterday he equalled Ozils record of 9 chances created in a game...

And people criticise him for bottling tackles...

He is a huge part of this team progressing this season. He is still massively young and he has been pretty consistent despite the opinions. I'd be concerned if he was t putting in the effort but he clearly is

I like the Danish hedgehog. But he clattered yet another free kick from a dangerous position straight into the wall yesterday. Needs sorting!!!!!!

I like the Danish hedgehog. But he clattered yet another free kick from a dangerous position straight into the wall yesterday. Needs sorting!!!!!!

It is getting annoying. Our free kicks used to be shyte but it improved after we signed Eriksen. Now it has gone back to shyte again. Don't know what is Eriksen trying to do in free kicks nowadays as it is always seems to be too low. Either he should practice more free kicks or should let others take them.

But apart from that, Eriksen is doing well this season with 6 goals and 8 assists in all competitions this season. Last season he scored more goals but had fewer assists. This season he is scoring less goals but are assisting more goals. Just wish he can improve his free kicks.

It is getting annoying. Our free kicks used to be shyte but it improved after we signed Eriksen. Now it has gone back to shyte again. Don't know what is Eriksen trying to do in free kicks nowadays as it is always seems to be too low. Either he should practice more free kicks or should let others take them.

But apart from that, Eriksen is doing well this season with 6 goals and 8 assists in all competitions this season. Last season he scored more goals but had fewer assists. This season he is scoring less goals but are assisting more goals. Just wish he can improve his free kicks.

He has scored 5 goals from direct free kicks since the start of last season, the most of any player in the league.

It's still poor to hit the first man as often as he does though.

How many of his assists have been from corners though, because they don't count apparently, if it suits your agenda. And he gets an assist for alli scoring a worldies, stats aren't everything use your eyes, he can't and won't tackle. That's not a criticism but it is a fact, accept it.

How many of his assists have been from corners though, because they don't count apparently, if it suits your agenda. And he gets an assist for alli scoring a worldies, stats aren't everything use your eyes, he can't and won't tackle. That's not a criticism but it is a fact, accept it.

And Alli gets and assist for Chadli's brilliant goal despite Chadli doing all the hard work for that goal. I guess the stat books won't care how assists are created as long as there is some contribution to the goal.

And Alli gets and assist for Chadli's brilliant goal despite Chadli doing all the hard work for that goal. I guess the stat books won't care how assists are created as long as there is some contribution to the goal.
Exactly, I never ever trust stats I can't see with my own eyes, or an argument based on stats alone.

For the record, only 5 players have more assists than Eriksen(7) in the league so far this season :
Ozil(16), De Bruyne(9), Silva(8), Deulofeu(8) and Mahrez(8).

He has come back to better form in the last few weeks, but his gutless efforts when it gets physical are my biggest problem with him.

Back