• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Par for the course for some, he did well yesterday and for some reason he seems to be the one that gets slagged off more then most.

You're probably right.

Had he scored a goal or gotten a great assist with a pass or a cross in open play people would probably have been praising his performance and saying that "he's back".

Eriksen is going through a patch where what we remember him for during his 'great patches' are not happening: i.e. goals, esp from long-range and free-kicks.

He seems to be putting in the effort and i think another poster said that perhaps him being closely marked even more due to his previous exploits has maybe allowed the likes of Alli more space to do what they're doing.

I expect Eriksen to have a great second half of the season; the goals will come (he is getting closer).

He probably could do with a rest though.

I thought he did well yesterday, much more involved than he has been in recent performances.

IMO he is down on the level he showed last year but that is just from my personal observations (ie not some deep analysis). I could well watch last years games without the goal contibutions and perhaps there is little difference.

In addition, the team this year looks much more dynamic and seriously hard working , and although CE does his share of running it is never going to come across as effective as Alli,Kane EL etc. I will never use this as a stick to beat him with because it is quite simply not his game (just as i expect Chadli never to impose his physique on anyone (except females)).

Everyone expects a lot of him because he has real talent (as witnessed even before he arrived at the lane) and Poch has to work out where he should play and how he wants him to play. I thought he could be a Silva type player for us but Silva is much more of a central stop/go player whwn CE is always on the move. Im sure he has the ability to unlock some doors for us.

Par for the course for some, he did well yesterday and for some reason he seems to be the one that gets slagged off more then most.

While i do not "slag" him off I have been critical of him this season because he has set such a high standard when eh brings his "A" game. Because he is so talented I know he can be such a creative force. He may not routine go on mazy runs leaving defenders in his wake but he has an exceptional eye for a pass and can really cause problems for defenses.

I am aware that In many a match where Kane has grabbed the deadlines Eriksen has been the unsung architect but this season I feel his overall standard have dropped.

I doubt anyone is arguing Eriksen was not some way short of his best yesterday and it was especially disheartening the way he was too easily beaten for possession in the build-up for Lennon's goal. But even in a match when too many of his passes went astray and he was too easily knocked off the ball, still he managed to produce several quality moments, any one of which might have led to a match-winning goal.

Let's remind ourselves that it was he who in the 17th minute won the free kick on the edge of the D that Lamela failed to make the most of and it was his perfectly-weighted and placed 'Sheringham' style corner to Davies in the 30th that the latter thundered against the bar.

There were also a couple of decent shots, one from the edge of the box in the 25th minute that was deflected just wide for a corner and another on target in the 53rd that tested the keeper. On top of that there were also a couple of trade-mark defence-splitting passes for the likes of Lamela and Kane to run on to that in the event came to nothing. But that is not the point, it's his job to create the openings, it's not his fault if others fail to capitalise on them.

I've no doubt it's because he consistently manages to create so many openings and scoring opportunities match after match, even when below par, that Poch continues to stick by him. That plus the fact he always puts in a shift, witness the number of times he tops the chart for distance covered.

So whilst quite reasonably noting Eriksen's failings let's also be sure not to overlook his positive contributions - even when as yesterday they come to nothing.

Last edited:
I thought he played alright yesterday and, at the time, I was hoping that Lamela was the one who would get subbed as he was having a poor game. In the end, Son came on and was worse than either of them. Maybe we have to credit Everton a bit for stopping our wide attackers having a big impact on the game (even our goal came straight through the middle).

Eriksen is still a key player in the way Pochettino wants us to play, despite some of you desperately want him out of the team, and claim he doesn't tackle or if he does he pulls out. Found some stats that proves that is just not the case :
No player has won posession in the final third more times in a PL match than Christian Eriksen (5) vs Everton.
Christian Eriksen has won posession in the final third more times than any other player in the PL this season. (21)

Edit: source whoscored.com

You're probably right.

Had he scored a goal or gotten a great assist with a pass or a cross in open play people would probably have been praising his performance and saying that "he's back".

But the fact is he didn't. And he hasn't pretty much all season. His runs have become predictable, his passing often ropey, his corners and free-kicks ineffectual and his shooting suddenly morelike a twelve year old girls. I like Eriksen but something is wrong somewhere. Time for a sports psychologist perhaps? I don't want him dropped as I fully recognize his potential, but if we could get him back to his best, he could be the difference between us having a good season and a great one.

Last edited:
I really wish Eriksen was in the form currently that he was this time last year, we could really be pushing for the title with him playing like that in conjunction with the rest of our team performing how it currently is.fudging frustrating.

But the fact is he didn't. And he hasn't pretty much all season. His runs have become predictable, his passing often ropey, his corners and free-kicks ineffectual and his shooting suddenly morelike a twelve year old girls. I like Eriksen but something is wrong somewhere. Time for a sports psychologist perhaps? I don't want him dropped as I fully recognize his potential, but if we could get him back to his best, he could be the difference between us having a good season and a great one.

Players that score quite a few of their goals from set pieces and long range shots will naturally have rather big swings in their goal scoring. Illustrated by two against Swansea not all that long ago.

My point is that a lot of negative things are being pointed out (like stuff about his runs, passing, corners etc) that would have been praised if he had just scored a couple of goals in the last 6 weeks. I see no reason to be negative about his passing just because he's not scoring goals right now. He played some very good passes against Everton.

As long as he's working hard (he is), and trying stuff (he is) I don't see an issue. Again, like Lamela (not having his best day) he was part of a team that dominated Everton completely in that first half. How bad could it possibly be?

Form will fluctuate. Right now Kane, Alli and Lamela are delivering in terms of end product, Son, Eriksen and Chadli are struggling a bit more. This is normal. Later in the season, or next season at some point, probably Alli or Lamela will struggle whereas one of the others will be delivering.

Players that score quite a few of their goals from set pieces and long range shots will naturally have rather big swings in their goal scoring. Illustrated by two against Swansea not all that long ago.

My point is that a lot of negative things are being pointed out (like stuff about his runs, passing, corners etc) that would have been praised if he had just scored a couple of goals in the last 6 weeks. I see no reason to be negative about his passing just because he's not scoring goals right now. He played some very good passes against Everton.

As long as he's working hard (he is), and trying stuff (he is) I don't see an issue. Again, like Lamela (not having his best day) he was part of a team that dominated Everton completely in that first half. How bad could it possibly be?

Form will fluctuate. Right now Kane, Alli and Lamela are delivering in terms of end product, Son, Eriksen and Chadli are struggling a bit more. This is normal. Later in the season, or next season at some point, probably Alli or Lamela will struggle whereas one of the others will be delivering.

I agree form will fluctuate, but a quality player like Eriksen has now been significantly off form for virtually the whole season so far. Apart from two free kicks against Swansea, his contributions have been well below his norm. That is why I am speculating that there is something not altogether right with him. A symptom of that was to let Lamela take the free kick against Everton, which was begging for a right footer to bend it round the wall into the unguarded part of the net. His haunted expression with staring eyes give further credence to something playing on his mind. Hence, my suggestion of the need for some off-field help such as a psychologist.

If Eriksen can recapture his mojo, he could make all the difference to our season. How many of his late goals earned us crucial late points last year? If he could only turn this seasons draws into wins we would be flying.........I live in hope.

I agree form will fluctuate, but a quality player like Eriksen has now been significantly off form for virtually the whole season so far. Apart from two free kicks against Swansea, his contributions have been well below his norm. That is why I am speculating that there is something not altogether right with him. A symptom of that was to let Lamela take the free kick against Everton, which was begging for a right footer to bend it round the wall into the unguarded part of the net. His haunted expression with staring eyes give further credence to something playing on his mind. Hence, my suggestion of the need for some off-field help such as a psychologist.

If Eriksen can recapture his mojo, he could make all the difference to our season. How many of his late goals earned us crucial late points last year? If he could only turn this seasons draws into wins we would be flying.........I live in hope.

Just seems premature and over the top to speculate about issues like that. He's a 23 year old having a somewhat disappointing season (2 goals and 6 assists still isn't all that bad).

Would't mind a sports psychologist being involved in a lot of areas and quite frequently for our club. But this seems just like a standard drop of form, fine margins and all that.

The "if only" where the "if" is always us doing better despite us outperforming most reasonable expectations overall for the season are getting a bit old.

People are frustrated with him because he can do so much more. In a team doing well he is the weak link currently. He should be left out for a few games. See if that gets his spark back

People are frustrated with him because he can do so much more. In a team doing well he is the weak link currently. He should be left out for a few games. See if that gets his spark back

Weak link in terms of end product? Perhaps...

But he's still working hard, he's still looking useful on the ball. Played several very nice passes against Everton for example... No one has really managed to stake a claim for his place in the team with both Chadli and Son looking a bit average recently when given the chance (Son's goal against Watford obviously the exception).

Another way to get his spark back is to play though this little drop in form. People were wishing for a striker to play instead of Kane when he wasn't scoring earlier this season, people were wishing for Lamela to be sold when he wasn't on form. Both were given more game time instead of less and both have found their form.

He is a huge, huge reason why we can go to places like everton and dominate possession. Apart from Carroll our 11 wasnt blessed with natural passers and the amount of time eriksen spent on the ball in the middle of the park in the first half was key. I think eriksen, dier and the two Dutch CB's are crucial in this respect. On a slightly different note, diers positional play is truly superb. Very rare you get a player with his attributes with his intelligence coupled with excellent coaching. The way he moves in and out of the defence is remarkably: he was virtually playing right back against Everton for spells.

I think we need to look at eriksens perceived dip in form as part of a monumental improvement in movement and fluidity in the whole side. When we get it right its a joy to behold. Eriksen is a huge, huge part of this and its because of players like him that I feel we cab still improve into the second half of the season. If poch can really implement what he's attempting teams are going to struggle to live with us soon. So progressive it hurts ;)

He is a huge, huge reason why we can go to places like everton and dominate possession. Apart from Carroll our 11 wasnt blessed with natural passers and the amount of time eriksen spent on the ball in the middle of the park in the first half was key. I think eriksen, dier and the two Dutch CB's are crucial in this respect. On a slightly different note, diers positional play is truly superb. Very rare you get a player with his attributes with his intelligence coupled with excellent coaching. The way he moves in and out of the defence is remarkably: he was virtually playing right back against Everton for spells.

I think we need to look at eriksens perceived dip in form as part of a monumental improvement in movement and fluidity in the whole side. When we get it right its a joy to behold. Eriksen is a huge, huge part of this and its because of players like him that I feel we cab still improve into the second half of the season. If poch can really implement what he's attempting teams are going to struggle to live with us soon. So progressive it hurts ;)

Other than you overlooking Lamela I completely agree :)

Maybe he just stood out more in the past couple of seasons because the players around him were not consistent (or very good) - now we have good quality performances almost across the board week in week out and that could just be taking the attention away from him.

His end product has tailed off but his overall play seems more or less the same - watching games back and looking at the stats back that up, imv

Brilliant post Armchair. But wait, can this really be the same Expert that likes to let rip with such unbridled rants every other minute in the OMT? :D

Back