• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

If we do win against soton and everton, does the narrative change? Good wins, scoring 3 or 4 each game.

Might as well! Things can change so quickly in football and in sports in general. St Louis Blues, in the NHL, were bottom of the table on New year's day a few years back, but went on to win the Stanley Cup a few months later!
A few players hitting it off, finding some good chemistry, a bit of feelgood from the fans, some lovely moments, and hey presto! Things can look very differently indeed. :)

Think it's more of an attitude of 'the club don't care so why should we' . And forget the early rounds, if we were to win a cup the celebration amongst the fans and players would be far greater than they are for finishing 4th. CL isn't that elite really is it, we shouldn't be anywhere near a tournament with the name 'champions' in it really should we.. farcical.

Football is fudged up. Yes we want to win trophies (levy too). But the financial reality is that winning the fa cup or league cup is worth sbout £2m. Being in the cl and getting through the group stages is worth over £100m.

Players get more bonuses, sponsorship deals... from being in cl than winning a cup.

I've said before they need to sort it out. Half the cl money should be split amongst all clubs. Not just those in it. It's destroying football. With the likes of olympiacos and byern winning leagues every year. It's what has led to the esl.

Might as well! Things can change so quickly in football and in sports in general. St Louis Blues, in the NHL, were bottom of the table on New year's day a few years back, but went on to win the Stanley Cup a few months later!
A few players hitting it off, finding some good chemistry, a bit of feelgood from the fans, some lovely moments, and hey presto! Things can look very differently indeed. :)

You romantic you!

I don't think people are saying he has to win trophies as well as top 4 but we should be doing better than crashing out the way we have in every cup competition under him so far. We've been knocked out by a team worse than us in every competition this season and barely put up a fight in any of the games that saw us go out, that isn't good enough.

I think the fact he's just shrugging his shoulders and saying what do you expect/lower your expectations - is far worse than the results themselves too.

You nailed it with this post.

Think it's more of an attitude of 'the club don't care so why should we' . And forget the early rounds, if we were to win a cup the celebration amongst the fans and players would be far greater than they are for finishing 4th. CL isn't that elite really is it, we shouldn't be anywhere near a tournament with the name 'champions' in it really should we.. farcical.
The celebration would be great, if we won a FA or Carabao Cup. And would last for a few days. If the next season we're playing Torpedo Centipede and Honka Espoo it's going to be dreary for an entire season.

And I don't understand the comment about the CL not being elite and that we shouldn't be anywhere near a competition with the name Champions in it. What international competition should we be aspiring to play in then?

It's no more of an achievement. Newcastles squad is weaker than ours, Chelsea and Liverpool have dropped off this season and our squad is on par with Utd and Arsenal.
We don't have Son playing to his true ability is right, but there are other alternatives and Conte has decided to play him no matter how brick he is.
City is the only team that are miles ahead of us in terms of squad. A supposedly elite manager should be the difference between us comfortably getting 4th and not.
What's even more annoying is that, if we followed the performances from the tail end of last season with slightly improved performances this season (I mean, we did get more players and Conte had a full pre-season, so you would expect that at a minimum), we could have even been in the thick of a title race. Even if we had just managed to draw with Arse at home, but at least had won or drawn a bunch of other games that we would have put away last season, we could easily be sitting on 58-60 points within 4-6 points of first place. An elite manager wouldn't have us comfortably in the top 4; he would have us challenging for the title this season. That tinkles me off more than anything.

In the league? Once I think. But regardless, what a team that was - criminal we didn’t win anything with that side Poch created….

I think you will find that the side Poch had was largely created for him. Son and Toby being the only notable additions in his whole time at Spurs. (Dele was a Pleat buy even though he had left by then).

The basic "Poch" team was Lloris, Walker, Toby, Verts, Rose, Dembele, Dier/Wanyama, Eriksen, Kane, Dele, Lamela/Son. Poch also never rotated much (except the full backs) in the league but fielded weakened sides in cups and hence the reason we crashed out of so many cups to awful opposition. He had a group of really strong, young, hungry and mouldable players - with half of them English and some world class additions (the CBs, Dembele, Eriksen and Son). This virtually unique set of circumstances is unlikely to be able to be recreated by him or anyone else at our club in the near future.

If we do finish top 4 conte can hold his head up high. It's other things that have turned fans against him. Style of football, not committing to the club, being borderline suicidal in some interviews...

It's a shame. Cause i really do think he is only a few players away. If he could have got the best out of son and lloris this season we'd be better off.
One way to get the best out of Son and Lloris is to bench them. Which he hasn't done. Or, in the case of Son, play a different system that would get the best out of him.

I think you will find that the side Poch had was largely created for him. Son and Toby being the only notable additions in his whole time at Spurs. (Dele was a Pleat buy even though he had left by then).

The basic "Poch" team was Lloris, Walker, Toby, Verts, Rose, Dembele, Dier/Wanyama, Eriksen, Kane, Dele, Lamela/Son. Poch also never rotated much (except the full backs) in the league but fielded weakened sides in cups and hence the reason we crashed out of so many cups to awful opposition. He had a group of really strong, young, hungry and mouldable players - with half of them English and some world class additions (the CBs, Dembele, Eriksen and Son). This virtually unique set of circumstances is unlikely to be able to be recreated by him or anyone else at our club in the near future.

Yet before that we had redknapp. With modric, bale, defoe, king... we can recreate. Not easy, but we can.

One way to get the best out of Son and Lloris is to bench them. Which he hasn't done. Or, in the case of Son, play a different system that would get the best out of him.

The same system had him golden boot winner last season. Many (including me) thought he should have won player of the season.

The same system had him golden boot winner last season. Many (including me) thought he should have won player of the season.
Son wasn't playing as much with his back to goal last season as he is this season. So the manager needs to find a way to correct for that (I don't know, maybe add an extra body in midfield). And regardless, if a player is struggling, you bench him. It's not like we didn't have any alternatives this season.

Reactions: DTA
Son wasn't playing as much with his back to goal last season as he is this season. So the manager needs to find a way to correct for that (I don't know, maybe add an extra body in midfield). And regardless, if a player is struggling, you bench him. It's not like we didn't have any alternatives this season.

Can't he ask him to turn around?

Back