• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

If we finish 3rd/4th it's a good enough return result wise in the league - of course other teams dropping off should be taken in to consideration but most years will see one or more of our rivals have poor seasons, that's just how things tend to play out year to year.

Whether the season as a whole has been a success is a different discussion. Poor performances in general, lack of progress in terms of establishing a way of playing and bad form in the cups (domestic & European) outweigh the minimum target being met in the league table imv - unless people are now arguing that top 4 literally is our everything?
A par finish for us is 5th or 6th.

I did read what you said, the trophies bit was reference to people keep referring to going for the cups aswell - it wasn’t specifically at your point. You’ve said the same thing again, if every team is playing well and we fail to get top 4 it’s fair enough - it’s our managers job to make sure we are performing well enough to be up there regardless and he’s done that and still in with a shout of third perhaps. I’ll ask again, what elite managers do you think will come to our club and exceed potential back to back top 4 finishes? Which I assume means a trophy aswell as top 4? Because we are a special case of a club, it’s no coincidence players and managers consistently arrive here having won things, win nothing here and leave then go onto win further. So which elite manager is going to change this and improve on what Conte has done, considering hes been here less than one and a half seasons?

I don't think he should be getting 4 and trophies as an expectation, far from it, I just think you can ask questions on going out to NF and Sheffield United but thats been done to death.

I definitely don't think its beyond the realms of possibility that someone comes in and does both, hell Conte might do it next season, who knows, you just need to beat the teams you should and put yourself in the business end and anything can happen, Poch came close TBH so its a coin toss once you are there to some extent

I don't think people are saying he has to win trophies as well as top 4 but we should be doing better than crashing out the way we have in every cup competition under him so far. We've been knocked out by a team worse than us in every competition this season and barely put up a fight in any of the games that saw us go out, that isn't good enough.

I think the fact he's just shrugging his shoulders and saying what do you expect/lower your expectations - is far worse than the results themselves too.
He is clearly prioritizing a CL finish as I expect is the direction from the top.

He is clearly prioritizing a CL finish as I expect is the direction from the top.

I know you like to use this particular topic to maintain your stance on the board but it's entirely possible to prioritise league performance without sacrificing the cups to the level we have seen this season.

Balancing cup football with league performance is a particular issue with Conte so it's not all down to priorities.

I did read what you said, the trophies bit was reference to people keep referring to going for the cups aswell - it wasn’t specifically at your point. You’ve said the same thing again, if every team is playing well and we fail to get top 4 it’s fair enough - it’s our managers job to make sure we are performing well enough to be up there regardless and he’s done that and still in with a shout of third perhaps. I’ll ask again, what elite managers do you think will come to our club and exceed potential back to back top 4 finishes? Which I assume means a trophy aswell as top 4? Because we are a special case of a club, it’s no coincidence players and managers consistently arrive here having won things, win nothing here and leave then go onto win further. So which elite manager is going to change this and improve on what Conte has done, considering hes been here less than one and a half seasons?
Nobody has said that they should be winning trophies, but we should be getting into a position to compete for them.
Poch got us into 2 finals and another 4 semi finals in his 5 years here. If that is continually done then we're eventually going to win one, just need a bit of luck to go our way.
We had a straightforward route to the FA semi this year, after that who knows, maybe Conte would've won us a trophy and top 4. But because he didn't take it serious we'll never know.
So just take advantage of easy routes and see what happens, hell even Arteta has won the FA cup and that squad wasn't as good as ours by taking advantage of a decent route to the semi-final.

Nobody has said that they should be winning trophies, but we should be getting into a position to compete for them.
Poch got us into 2 finals and another 4 semi finals in his 5 years here. If that is continually done then we're eventually going to win one, just need a bit of luck to go our way.
We had a straightforward route to the FA semi this year, after that who knows, maybe Conte would've won us a trophy and top 4. But because he didn't take it serious we'll never know.
So just take advantage of easy routes and see what happens, hell even Arteta has won the FA cup and that squad wasn't as good as ours by taking advantage of a decent route to the semi-final.
Yeah we know what Poch did, that was over a five year period - he also rested a load of players in cups hence why we got knocked out to Colchester Utd! Aswell as some dismal Europa League stuff to watch. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don’t. If Conte had a five year span here (big if I know!) I’d bet he would get us further now and then, but yes it’s clear his cup record needs to improve. No manager here has ever achieved any better than a top 4 finish and I don’t see us as currently that good that it should be considered standard/to be expected that a manager achieves top 4 - it is still a job well done for me, even considering our sorry cup exits….

Yeah we know what Poch did, that was over a five year period - he also rested a load of players in cups hence why we got knocked out to Colchester Utd! Aswell as some dismal Europa League stuff to watch. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don’t. If Conte had a five year span here (big if I know!) I’d bet he would get us further now and then, but yes it’s clear his cup record needs to improve. No manager here has ever achieved any better than a top 4 finish and I don’t see us as currently that good that it should be considered standard/to be expected that a manager achieves top 4 - it is still a job well done for me, even considering our sorry cup exits….

Poch finished second twice.

It's a dreadful season in context regardless of result

- We had a real shot at a long run into both domestic cups and fell to opposition our B side should walk
- We lost an opportunity to get to CL QF, again, against a beatable team with only a 1 goal deficit and home advantage in deciding game
- We should probably have been aiming for 3rd/2nd based on the results of the usual challengers.

It's one of those classic seasons you could spin but in reality has been brick

We also had:

- The first long, uninterrupted, stable pre-season in what feels like years
- Lots of money spent, early, on really good players

And yet we've had 3 decent performance (Palace, City, Chelsea) all season.

We also had:

- The first long, uninterrupted, stable pre-season in what feels like years
- Lots of money spent, early, on really good players

And yet we've had 3 decent performance (Palace, City, Chelsea) all season.
Also had world cup in the middle
Let’s not forget that knock on for all the decent sides
Only one of the top sides wasn’t really affected

There was no injury to Kane so that's no excuse. Conte hasn't used the squad either.

My point is IF there had been we would have struggled to get in top 10 and if that the difference between 4th and 10th our squad is not good enough, just read the post on here, the general opinion is we need at least a goalkeeper, 1 wingback, 2 centrebacks, a creative midfielder and a replacement for Kane who is irreplaceable.

My point is IF there had been we would have struggled to get in top 10 and if that the difference between 4th and 10th our squad is not good enough, just read the post on here, the general opinion is we need at least a goalkeeper, 1 wingback, 2 centrebacks, a creative midfielder and a replacement for Kane who is irreplaceable.
That’s all opinions though
Get a coach in who actually sued his squad and those opinions may change

Back