• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

I like Townsend on the left but he absolutely can not play through the middle or on the right his shooting is so bad I can not believe it will ever improve.

But on the left he has pace and ability to beat a man which if he was in the team or came on as a sub would make the other team keep a man back to deal with him opening up other areas on the pitch for us to attack. He does not have to produce something every time but it is the threat that he does produce on the left that would help us.

For me he is not a started but a good option to have on the bench, I can change my mind on him if he improves but from being a big fan of his I feel he has moved down the pecking order.

What I don't get is his shooting for Spurs is terrible but for England whatever he hits, left foot, right foot, all manner of angles or ranges seems to end up in the back of the net or on target. He looks generally relaxed, dangerous and intelligent for England.

But plays like he has the weight of expectation round his shoulders for Spurs

Showed tonight why he's a better option than Lamela playing as an i.verted winger on the right - being able to use your weaker foot helps in that regard. Managed to have a positive effect on the game.

Still makes some bad decisions some times and he may not be the answer long term, but deserves a run in the team ahead of the pretty boy Argentinian.

I don't think Lamela can cut it playing where he has been so far and it seems to me that he's got to be back up to either Eriksen or Kane. As for Townsend; whilst having the ability to go inside or out is a benefit, his poor decision making in a lot of situations leads to attacks slowing down or breaking down altogether. Prime example is the 25 yard shot he took on just after we went 4-0 up. Eriksen had made a beautiful run and was clean through, he was actually an easier option than the shot. He isn't on the same wavelength as a lot of the others when it comes down to the quick one touch passing game.

Tonight we really opened up the pitch with him and Chadli, but looked far more likely to concede at the same time. I think going forward he could be an option for when we need something different, but unless he develops certain area's of his game, he will stay as a squad player and not first teamer.

Townsend is utter utter utter turd. Even when we're hammering Saudi Sportswashing Machine and playing with do fuse ce, he still can't shoot, still can't make the right decisions. I've always thought he was awful, even when he "burst" onto the scene. He's not close to good enough, hopefully gone in January.

Townsend is utter utter utter turd. Even when we're hammering Saudi Sportswashing Machine and playing with do fuse ce, he still can't shoot, still can't make the right decisions. I've always thought he was awful, even when he "burst" onto the scene. He's not close to good enough, hopefully gone in January.
Charming.

I don't think Lamela can cut it playing where he has been so far and it seems to me that he's got to be back up to either Eriksen or Kane. As for Townsend; whilst having the ability to go inside or out is a benefit, his poor decision making in a lot of situations leads to attacks slowing down or breaking down altogether. Prime example is the 25 yard shot he took on just after we went 4-0 up. Eriksen had made a beautiful run and was clean through, he was actually an easier option than the shot. He isn't on the same wavelength as a lot of the others when it comes down to the quick one touch passing game.

Tonight we really opened up the pitch with him and Chadli, but looked far more likely to concede at the same time. I think going forward he could be an option for when we need something different, but unless he develops certain area's of his game, he will stay as a squad player and not first teamer.

I think at 4-0 up and the game won it wasn't being too self-indulgent to have a pop, and Kane did exactly the same thing in first half, shooting instead of passing to Townsend, yet I don't see him being pilloried.

His assist for the goal looked a pretty good piece of one touch passing to me, and generally I thought he picked the right options tonight. He picked up a well deserved reputation last season for shooting too much and I think he's addressed that but some fans are unnecessarily getting on his back whenever he does shoot - case in point being in the first half when he picked the right option to shoot and got pilloried again.

The bottom line is that we looked a better team with him instead of Lamela. They've both got weakeness, but Chadli and Townsend are our best options at the moment. Lamela is showing nothing and Lennon can't manage more than two games in a row without getting injured.

Too right - streets ahead of Lamela at the minute which says it all. He seems to look to pass a lot more and is a good option for us.

As for Grimsby YId - I think he only seems to like 'international names' and writes off anyone born within 10miles of WHL.

how come? i've read your posts for years so i know this isnt a reaction to the lamela comment from LCLC

why was he 'dreadful' ?

Kept shooting when passing would have been the better option, opted to turn into a wall of Saudi Sportswashing Machine players or down a blind alley when a simple pass was on.

He has pace, and he showed at times tonight that he has a decent cross. There were a few times Poch had to instruct him on the sidelines. I hope he can turn Townsend into atleast a decent player as well know pace on the flanks can be crucial.

Kept shooting when passing would have been the better option, opted to turn into a wall of Saudi Sportswashing Machine players or down a blind alley when a simple pass was on.

He has pace, and he showed at times tonight that he has a decent cross. There were a few times Poch had to instruct him on the sidelines. I hope he can turn Townsend into atleast a decent player as well know pace on the flanks can be crucial.

okay, i can see you reasoning..its actually why i thought moreno was the worst of the flank men on sunday

i think dreadful might be harsh personally but i dont prefer 1 dimensional head down players to the other options...thing is that i dont think townsend is that, 1 dimensional, completely

when he went down blind alleys...did he lose the ball most of the time? or did he double back and give it to someone else?

anyway i can see why you said it , if thats what happened then you would be right. i only watched 30 minute highlights on sky

I think at 4-0 up and the game won it wasn't being too self-indulgent to have a pop, and Kane did exactly the same thing in first half, shooting instead of passing to Townsend, yet I don't see him being pilloried.

His assist for the goal looked a pretty good piece of one touch passing to me, and generally I thought he picked the right options tonight. He picked up a well deserved reputation last season for shooting too much and I think he's addressed that but some fans are unnecessarily getting on his back whenever he does shoot - case in point being in the first half when he picked the right option to shoot and got pilloried again.

The bottom line is that we looked a better team with him instead of Lamela. They've both got weakeness, but Chadli and Townsend are our best options at the moment. Lamela is showing nothing and Lennon can't manage more than two games in a row without getting injured.

The Kane situation in the first half was nothing like it the Townsend shot at 4-0. For the Kane shot Townsend managed to run into traffic thus congesting the space leaving Kane with no other option than to have a pop from range.

I agree that his reputation for shooting too much is lingering when Townsend seems to have limited himself. But I didn't think he was particularly good yesterday, but then again I rarely do.

I thought he was dreadful yesterday to be honest.

Don't understand this comment one bit. He was a very solid 7/10. Used the ball a lot better than he has done, drove at Saudi Sportswashing Machine with pace and started quite a few of our attacks, beat the man down the line a few times and stretched their defence several times - we have been crying out for a bit of pace and he certainly provided it. When we haven't had him, the game becomes too compressed and it was good to have an outlet last night. It seems like because of his rep if he decides to have a shot that doesn't go in, people immediately attack him.

Fact is that he played well and looked to be more of a team player than usual. At the end of the day would I prefer him or Erik Lamela on current form? Lamela the player that gives it away nearly every time he gets it, doesn't shoot, can't take on a player and loses the ball in bad areas. Townsend isn't the messiah but I think that he offers a lot more right now and with some coaching could become an excellent premier league player in time - it's down to him as to whether he adapts his game or not...... I have to say he looks a lot more head up this year which is a good sign i guess.

I thought he was dreadful yesterday to be honest.

I like Townsend, but he looked rusty yesterday.

You can tell he's being taught not to shoot, but rather than passing he has now just become too hesitant and tends to dribble into trouble (maybe been hanging round with Dembele too long)

I like Townsend, but he looked rusty yesterday.

You can tell he's being taught not to shoot, but rather than passing he has now just become too hesitant and tends to dribble into trouble (maybe been hanging round with Dembele too long)

I think there's a player in there and if he can be worked with and is willing to take it on board then I'm all for another homegrown player
staking a claim for a starting role. He put a superb cross in on his right foot in 2nd half and a nice wee ball for Kane. Its in there its just getting him to make better decisions regularly!

I think dreadful is much too harsh. Thought he was decent.

Too many poor touches, too many poor decisions. But some good involvements and some quicker passing and not always shooting, good crossing.

Still has potential, but he needs to improve quickly I think. For me he's behind Eriksen, Kane, Chadli, Lennon and Lamela at least in those attacking 3 positions. Close with Dembele, if Mason is pushed further forward I think he would be ahead of Townsend too. And that's why he only has one league start this season.

At an age where a loan deal is perhaps unlikely, he's struggling to break into the team - or even to get games in the league. He has potential, he's fairly quick, he can dribble and he strikes the ball well with both feet. But he's not really influencing games as much as we had hoped by this point.

Very difficult to judge from the outside. I think it will come down to how he looks in training and how Poch feels he's improving on his weak points. Could see it go either way at this point and wouldn't be surprised if he left in January, but also wouldn't be surprised if he stays.

I too thought he was 'ok' yesterday. Not brilliant, but not poor either. He seemed to give the team a better balance than Lamela has been doing.

I think I only remember Townsend having 2 shots yesterday. The first shot he had it was the right option to take as it had opened up for him nicely, but the execution was poor. The second shot was at 4-0 with the game won and he should've played in another player (I think Eriksen?).

Personally I think that on the showing yesterday Townsend should be in the team ahead of Lamela at the moment.

Anyone who thinks that Lamela currently deserves to start above townsend should be put in front of a firing squad. For the last 4 weeks Lamela has been an utter embarrasment

I too thought he was 'ok' yesterday. Not brilliant, but not poor either. He seemed to give the team a better balance than Lamela has been doing.

I think I only remember Townsend having 2 shots yesterday. The first shot he had it was the right option to take as it had opened up for him nicely, but the execution was poor. The second shot was at 4-0 with the game won and he should've played in another player (I think Eriksen?).

Personally I think that on the showing yesterday Townsend should be in the team ahead of Lamela at the moment.

Honestly that says very little.

In what turned out to be a very easy game, he was poor (not horrible, but certainly not a good game)

He needs to cut out the ****ing shooting **** .. just stop it for a couple of games, focus on getting the ball to your teammates. One of his shots at the end, Bobby makes a run into space, then actually reacts frustratedly a fraction before Townsend shoots because he knows what Townsend is going to do ... it was exactly the same reaction I have when I see him getting into a good spot, shouting at the tv going "don't ****ing shoot"

Back