• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

None of those talents are worth a jot if he doesn't have the intelligence to work out when and how to use them.

I'm sure we've got some skills coaches, do we have any "learn how to play football" coaches?

With respect, I think I would take the opinion and judgement of some well qualified and successful football coaches over yours. I don't believe he would have got to represent his country at many different levels, including full caps if, in your words, he needs "to learn how to play football".

With respect, I think I would take the opinion and judgement of some well qualified and successful football coaches over yours. I don't believe he would have got to represent his country at many different levels, including full caps if, in your words, he needs "to learn how to play football".
:ross:

I assume you've seen some of the sh1te that's turned out for England over the last few years? And some of the fvckwits that have managed them?

You'll have to do much better than an appeal to authority to convince me on this one.

at present id rather leave both townsend and lamela out of the team. **** it.

Chadli - Kane
Eriksen
Mason - Bentaleb
Stambouli​

:ross:

I assume you've seen some of the sh1te that's turned out for England over the last few years? And some of the fvckwits that have managed them?

You'll have to do much better than an appeal to authority to convince me on this one.

And each and every one of them are better footballers than you or I will ever be. They certainly don't need to "learn to play football"! Is Townsend capable of improvement, yes of course he is, but to be as dismissive of him as you are is totally unwarranted.

And each and every one of them are better footballers than you or I will ever be.

There's a pretty large gap between as good as me and good enough for Spurs. Currently Townsend is somewhere in that gap.

They certainly don't need to "learn to play football"! Is Townsend capable of improvement, yes of course he is, but to be as dismissive of him as you are is totally unwarranted.

Townsend does. He can play physically with the best of them but, in a footballing sense, I don't think I've ever seen a player who lacks so much mentally.

It's also entirely warranted to be as dismissive as I am because Townsend's problem is entirely fixable. He has the raw skills, he just needs to study some of the greats in a lot of detail and find out how to emulate their ability to do the right thing with the ball. He could probably use some help from our management but I'd be surprised if he wasn't getting that since June.

There's a pretty large gap between as good as me and good enough for Spurs. Currently Townsend is somewhere in that gap.

Townsend does. He can play physically with the best of them but, in a footballing sense, I don't think I've ever seen a player who lacks so much mentally.

It's also entirely warranted to be as dismissive as I am because Townsend's problem is entirely fixable. He has the raw skills, he just needs to study some of the greats in a lot of detail and find out how to emulate their ability to do the right thing with the ball. He could probably use some help from our management but I'd be surprised if he wasn't getting that since June.

We can agree on that bolded bit. As I said at the outset, a good coach can help him develop into a good player. It seemed to me that up until this point you were arguing that Townsend had no redeeming features.

We can agree on that bolded bit. As I said at the outset, a good coach can help him develop into a good player. It seemed to me that up until this point you were arguing that Townsend had no redeeming features.
I've said all along that he plays like a plumber in a footballer' body.

The problem is that he's had a few coaches, some good - some bad, yet he's shown little or no signs of understanding what to do on a football pitch in order to be effective for the team.

If he was the arrogant type (I know he's not) you'd say he was just playing for the highlights reel, but he's not even doing that.

I've said all along that he plays like a plumber in a footballer' body.

The problem is that he's had a few coaches, some good - some bad, yet he's shown little or no signs of understanding what to do on a football pitch in order to be effective for the team.

If he was the arrogant type (I know he's not) you'd say he was just playing for the highlights reel, but he's not even doing that.

I think his main problem is that he is trying too hard to catch the eye. He seems to want to impress every time he is given a chance and therefore overdoes it too much. He knows he is only getting limited game time and wants to impress during those cameos - hence his over anxiety to shoot at every opportunity. I would like to see Poch give him a run in the side to see if he can develop into more of a team player without the self imposed pressure put on himself to deliver every time he is on the pitch in order to "prove" he is more worthy of Lamela or Lennon for a place in the side. Poch needs to instill that assuredness in him and let's see what happens.

at present id rather leave both townsend and lamela out of the team. **** it.

Chadli - Kane
Eriksen
Mason - Bentaleb
Stambouli​

Was thinking about this too, Mason would have more freedom to get forward and be closer to the #10 slot he prefers. There wouldn't be that much natural width, though against Saudi Sportswashing Machine we tended to get that a lot from the fullbacks and Chadli, Eriksen and Kane interchanging, heck even Bentaleb got out there to cross on a couple of occasions.

Both Townsend and Lamela will get plenty of game time over the next couple of weeks and it's up to each to try and cement a place. Personally I see Townsend as the more likely to do so - his major advantages over Lamela are his strength, the ability to use his weaker foot to good effect and his superior pace. Lamela has decent white man pace, but Townsend has decent black man pace.

I think he is suited to being a left-winger who comes inside on his right foot sometimes, rather than a right wing-forward who always comes in on his left foot. Whenever I have seen him, he's always much more effective down the left than on the right. I think he's good enough to be a squad player for us if we use him like that.

Was thinking about this too, Mason would have more freedom to get forward and be closer to the #10 slot he prefers. There wouldn't be that much natural width, though against Saudi Sportswashing Machine we tended to get that a lot from the fullbacks and Chadli, Eriksen and Kane interchanging, heck even Bentaleb got out there to cross on a couple of occasions.

Well yeah, the width would be our full backs.

I personally would like to see townsend taking more and more shots on goal, of course they won't all go in the net but better to shoot than not, lets face it he has done it for England.

actually i think he is starting to lose faith in himself from a few bewildered looks after the shot left his boot.

Too right - streets ahead of Lamela at the minute which says it all. He seems to look to pass a lot more and is a good option for us.

As for Grimsby YId - I think he only seems to like 'international names' and writes off anyone born within 10miles of WHL.

Weird, because I think if they're english you'll love them a hundred times more than if they're not. We'd have a great debate in a pub as we have the exact opposite opinions :)

People saying he's streets ahead of lamela. Lamela, it just isn't working, but his raw ability is clear. Townsend, it ni is t working, and he doesn't have close to that level of ability.

Safe this thread, let's see where townsend is in 5 years and where lamela is in 5 years.

It's like the people who ****ged of AVB and loved Harry. AVB achieved more by the time he was 33 years old as a manager than Harry will in a 40 year career.

Back