• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

He is frustrating but I don't think it's fair that only the bad parts of his game get focused on. Yeah sure, he made a dumb decision to shoot instead of putting Eriksen in at 4-0 but why neglect to mention the pass for Kane's goal? Or the reverse pass to put Chadli in early on? Whether he'll make it here I don't know but I think some go ott with the criticism.

He is frustrating but I don't think it's fair that only the bad parts of his game get focused on. Yeah sure, he made a dumb decision to shoot instead of putting Eriksen in at 4-0 but why neglect to mention the pass for Kane's goal? Or the reverse pass to put Chadli in early on? Whether he'll make it here I don't know but I think some go ott with the criticism.

Absolutely! Like with all of our players that aren't world class.

The problem is he has promise .. if he really was just ****, people would not be half as frustrated.

Poch really needs to sit him down and say .. 5 games, just cut the ****ing shooting out for 5 games and lets see what that does to your impact on the team.

Honestly that says very little.

In what turned out to be a very easy game, he was poor (not horrible, but certainly not a good game)

He needs to cut out the ****ing shooting **** .. just stop it for a couple of games, focus on getting the ball to your teammates. One of his shots at the end, Bobby makes a run into space, then actually reacts frustratedly a fraction before Townsend shoots because he knows what Townsend is going to do ... it was exactly the same reaction I have when I see him getting into a good spot, shouting at the tv going "don't ****ing shoot"

How many shots did he attempt last night? I remember 2.... perhaps there was 3? I don't think he shot any more than that though did he? Of the shots that I remember one it was the right option and one was the wrong option (but we were 4-0 up without much time remaining and the game won).

I don't think Townsend is the answer (unless of the course the question is: "who should play on the right for Spurs if Lennon is injured" but his performance last night was better than the performances we've seen out of Lamela recently.

How many shots did he attempt last night? I remember 2.... perhaps there was 3? I don't think he shot any more than that though did he? Of the shots that I remember one it was the right option and one was the wrong option (but we were 4-0 up without much time remaining and the game won).

I don't think Townsend is the answer (unless of the course the question is: "who should play on the right for Spurs if Lennon is injured" but his performance last night was better than the performances we've seen out of Lamela recently.

Don't think it was more than 3 at least, hardly some shocking number. He telegraphs it too much though, and he doesn't quite have the first touch and skill to create the space and get the shot away quickly enough so he gets blocked too easily.

Considering the opposition and how we played as a team I don't think he was any better than Lamela has been recently. But I also don't think Lamela has been as bad as some people think.

Been a big Townsend critic, but IMO last night he wasn't too bad on the shoot on (or even off) sight policy. He had one standard Row Z blast early doors, but from then on in seemed to decide this wasn't a great strategy!

His decision making from then on in was actually okay IMO. It seemed largely to centre around passing it (for example good first time ball for kane's goal, pass down a channel for a Chadli shot) or continuing his dribble. He had a couple of shots later when there was nothing really else on - don't have too much issue with that.

His passes were quite good IMO, his dribbling was okay - for me a mixed bag of how much it actually committed defenders/goes anywhere. He does this annoying thing where he goes down a blind alley and then spends several seconds slowing the play down with Cruyff turns, rarely going anywhere.

I do remember one sick cross he put in with his right peg in the second half though - it was a Bale-esque delivery. It came from him keeping his game simple and not thinking too much about things. This is probably key for Townsend. When he's deciding not to shoot he doesn't really seem to have much game-changing impact right now - no end product as such (obviously when shooting he has even less end product and is more of a hindrance to end product).

The ball i talked about is what he needs to be producing far more of and comes as a product of him playing a really simple game. He'd be best as an old fashioned winger in a 442 IMO... so it may be the case that he never really fits into a Poch side.

He has some potential, but not sure he has anything near the footballing intelligence required to fully deliver on it.

Last edited:
I think some people are influenced by non-footballing issues as regards Townsend, in that he was born in Leytonstone, cost nothing and looks like a Somalian Pirate, as opposed to being born in Buenos Aries, costing 30 Million and looking like a Gay Pawn Star.

I think some people are influenced by non-footballing issues as regards Townsend, in that he was born in Leytonstone, cost nothing and looks like a Somalian Pirate, as opposed to being born in Buenos Aries, costing 30 Million and looking like a Gay Pawn Star.

Haha that made me laugh but if you are referring to me, I am purely talking about what I see on the pitch. He frustrates me way more than watching Kaboul fcuk up time after time, and that says a lot.

Yeah. If there's one thing this forum has been swarming with lately it's hate for our home grown players... :ross:

There are equally as many who have far more patience with and belief in homegrown players as opposed to expensive foreigners with fancy names. This whole line of arguing is complete bollox really.

yeah.. that must be it.

I'm not naming any names but there does appear to be a small group of fans - who I have previously been criticized for calling Lamelaites - who do display a repeated tendency to overlook the flaws in the game of Erik and overstate his positive contributions to matches, and they are also the first to pounce anything Andros does wrong whilst ignoring the positive contributions he makes.

I'm not a psychologist so am not really qualified to speculate why this occurs.

I'm not naming any names but there does appear to be a small group of fans - who I have previously been criticized for calling Lamelaites - who do display a repeated tendency to overlook the flaws in the game of Erik and overstate his positive contributions to matches, and they are also the first to pounce anything Andros does wrong whilst ignoring the positive contributions he makes.

I'm not a psychologist so am not really qualified to speculate why this occurs.

Mate .. Lamela being **** has no influence on Townsend being **** or not ..

We have always had Keane/JD (most famously) people who believe for one to be good, the other must be ****.

Fact is, this season, both Lamela and Townsend have been ****, if I had to pick one, I'd go with Townsend right now, but he is ****ing one of the most frustrating players I have ever seen in our kit (because he's way too predicable). People will say, oh, he only had 2 or 3 shots last night .. yes, a 2 or 3 shots that have an average of about 1:187 chance of being effective. I said it early but everytime IO watch him play I'm screaming "don't ****ing shoot" and what does he go do?

If I was Poch, I would be hardcore with him, you ****ing shoot in a match when there is a single other option, I will ****ing sub you on the spot and put you with the reserves. Just stop the school ground **** and concentrate on being a team player.

Spot on. His plus points are too often overlooked. He is fast, can beat a player and has a strong (albeit not necessarily always accurate!) shot in both feet. Those are not inconsiderable qualities upon which a decent coach should be able to build. With Lennon crocked again and Lamela not delivering, I think he deserves a run in the team after his performance yesterday.

I rated him very highly last season, especially after the pre season he had and the way he started before his England call up. As last season wore on and the injuries disrupted his season he seemed to become desperate and every game became like a highlight reel, with him trying his luck from range too often. Early this season he had improved and he didn't look like the player that was pressuring himself into making daft decisions with the hope of catching Hodgson's eye. Against West Ham this year he looked a better player, cleverer in what he did, good movement off the ball and shooting when it was the right time. Then again, in the Europa League and Capital One Cup games he has made many poor decision's like it's still last season. Perhaps it is a confidence thing, perhaps with a regular starting spot he will develop a calmer style and think through each situation.

I'll give you that the shot at 4-0 was meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but IMO in any game players should be trying to do what is right. Getting it right when it doesn't matter is still practice towards getting it right when it does. My point from earlier still stands, this occasion was an example of what he has done in plenty of other games. There were a few times where pulled that stupid turn right into a defender when it wasn't needed and where a neat dribble was then ruined by a poor 10 yrd pass.

I just want to see him doing the basics right, leaving the needless showboating to when it is most effective, in situatuions that require it. Taking on dribbles and shots when passes to better placed team mates are on is something that any player (including players like Lamela, Kane and Paulinho) have been pulled up on. I don't think it is wrong to point out when Townsend does it.

Last edited:
Spot on. His plus points are too often overlooked. He is fast, can beat a player and has a strong (albeit not necessarily always accurate!) shot in both feet. Those are not inconsiderable qualities upon which a decent coach should be able to build. With Lennon crocked again and Lamela not delivering, I think he deserves a run in the team after his performance yesterday.
None of those talents are worth a jot if he doesn't have the intelligence to work out when and how to use them.

I'm sure we've got some skills coaches, do we have any "learn how to play football" coaches?

Back