• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Still has a tendency to take a few touches to see if anything opens up for him, rather than play the quick pass.

I thought he had a good game today. I'm prepared to give him time to improve. Good lad, runs around a lot.

It's noticeable the last couple of games when he cuts in that he is looking to pass first. Very refreshing. Hopefully he'll keep improving as I think he could be a big player for us.

I wouldn't say he's looking to pass, more that he manages to overcome his desire to shoot. Sometimes it takes a second or two and the obvious pass is gone.

When he plays, he should play on the left imo. He doesn't have the skills to come in from the right, but he could provide good width for us down the left side when we need it.

Agree with this. When on the left and he beats his man its more likely to end in a cross or cutback for the simple reason he is out wide. On the opposite side when he cuts inside his crack like shooting addiction just rears its head all too often.

Ironically Andros has said himself that he is more accurate shooting of his right foot so that suits being on the left as well (when cutting in).

The problem in all this is Poch appears to love inverted wide men so the chances of Andros playing wide left are few.

I wouldn't say he's looking to pass, more that he manages to overcome his desire to shoot. Sometimes it takes a second or two and the obvious pass is gone.

That interception he made in the fourth minute being a prime example. He cut out the ball and should've slid the ball forward into Kane's path but instead held on to it too long.

As for the inverted winger thing. I think Poch is a good enough coach to see what works and what doesn't. Townsend on the left worked tonight and has done before as well. No doubt the coach has noticed and may work to find a way to use him there. There was a brief window there today (when Mason first came on) where we ended up with Townsend, Kane and Soldado looking like a fluid three ahead of Mason, Dembele and Stambouli. It was only for a few minutes but it was very Southampton-esque.

No matter what he does you and Jordinho will always be oblivious to anything good he does in a Spurs shirt.
When he does something good I'll happily say so. He had some good moments tonight.

Still too many poor decisions though. If he had a brain he'd be off to Madrid in the summer.

He did well tonight, for me I would only ever play him on the left, good option to have in the squad and if he can take a leaf out of Lampards book and work himself into the ground he could turn himself into a very good player. Because in many ways he reminds me of Lampard before Mourinho got a hold of him.

i think he can play either left or right - just needs to keep his head up and deliver the ball to another to score. this is what navas does for Emirates Marketing Project so well. (he is equally bad in front of goal !)

i don't think Townsend is good at shooting at all - he is not a natural and focuses too much on getting the technique right to get a good connection on the shot , but all that effort at the expense of accuracy. anyway he seems too excited in front of goal to look for to place it, and doesn't generate enough speed to surprise, so the goalie is always prepared for him.

If we played him as a natural left winger I think he would excel for us

Basically he is one of those players like Lennon, if you watch him play, you say something like what Clarke Carlisle said about playing 4-4-2 and playing to players strengths as opposed to getting them to fit a formation.

Townsend for me (and he's mentioned it before) clearly tries to be like Robben. He is no where near as gifted or football smart as Robben, and I agree with you Naija on the left he is a real threat as long as what he did yesterday.

I'm impressed by the progress he is making. This willingness to learn and determination to improve his game (qualities he's apparently always demonstrated), could still be the making of him.

I've seen enough this season to be convinced that its Lennon that needs to go (I was torn between the two over the summer).

I'm impressed by the progress he is making. This willingness to learn and determination to improve his game (qualities he's apparently always demonstrated), could still be the making of him.

I've seen enough this season to be convinced that its Lennon that needs to go (I was torn between the two over the summer).

Agree, and what I like about him is that he never goes hiding. Lennon for long periods of the game goes missing. Yes we've all seen Townsend run down blind alleys or demonstrate a lack of end product. But he is still developing, and I like the fact he has the confidence to continue to try and create something and show for the ball even when it's not happening for him...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Agree, and what I like about him is that he never goes hiding. Lennon for long periods of the game goes missing. Yes we've all seen Townsend run down blind alleys or demonstrate a lack of end product. But he is still developing, and I like the fact he has the confidence to continue to try and create something and show for the ball even when it's not happening for him...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

A good point. I know there is a whole thread talking about desire and leadership and whatnot but I think taking responsibility trumps all that. Players that constantly look for the ball and try and use it to the best of their ability are what we need at the club. Whether he's playing well or not Townsend never hides and I like that about him. To me it looks a trait of our new 1st teamers from the academy. Mason, Bentaleb, Kane all look to get on the ball and do something and they never shy away or pass the buck.

A good point. I know there is a whole thread talking about desire and leadership and whatnot but I think taking responsibility trumps all that. Players that constantly look for the ball and try and use it to the best of their ability are what we need at the club. Whether he's playing well or not Townsend never hides and I like that about him. To me it looks a trait of our new 1st teamers from the academy. Mason, Bentaleb, Kane all look to get on the ball and do something and they never shy away or pass the buck.

Lamela too. I like both the attitude and technical competence of this new generation we are bringing through.

Back