• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

I'm impressed by the progress he is making. This willingness to learn and determination to improve his game (qualities he's apparently always demonstrated), could still be the making of him.

I've seen enough this season to be convinced that its Lennon that needs to go (I was torn between the two over the summer).

His determination, drive, commitment and willingness are not in question. It has always been commented that Andros is a fully committed focussed young player. I also now agree that i would choose him over lennon if it was one or the other (ironically i thought Lennon might suit Poch with his work rate and ability to take on instruction).

BUT i do not see the progress he is making. All the stuff he does well at the moment, he would have done if he was regular(ish) in the 1st team 2 ,3 or 4 seasons ago. It is just the constant shooting and by continuation, decision making that he is making little or no progress on. I hate the way, when he receives it sometimes, its almost as though a little bubble encloses over him and off he goes oblivious of teamates and the bigger picture.

Some traits are really hard to iron out and some skills just cannot be taught. Putting him on the left does cut off the 'cut inside and look to whack it' tick that he has but how long you persist with trying to teach/train a player before calling it a day,i dont know. £12m+ and i think i'd let another club try.

Last edited:
Had a good game last night. As many others have said, decision making lets him down and whilst you can drill it into him not just to shoot all the time, I don't think decision-making can be taught. I don't think he sees the game like we want him to. I think we're seeing the best of him.

I think Townsend on the left is a completely different animal when compared to how he plays on the right. He will cross the ball in to the box, he will drive to the byline, he will give us the width on the left that we lack and most importantly I think he has the beating of most right backs in the league

I think Townsend on the left is a completely different animal when compared to how he plays on the right. He will cross the ball in to the box, he will drive to the byline, he will give us the width on the left that we lack and most importantly I think he has the beating of most right backs in the league

He looks better on the left because it basically removes any requirement for him to think. Get the ball, beat man cross it, done. On the right, get ball, go outside or inside onto good foot? Pass? Shoot? Through ball? Ah, can't decide, nothing on now, SHOOT, is basically what happens to him.

He may grow into a fairly decent 'chalk on his boots' left winger, but he's never ever going to develop into the player that some on here and in the media seem to think he will.

Lamela too. I like both the attitude and technical competence of this new generation we are bringing through.

Agreed. I think Andros actually has a winners mentality and it will serve him well. I back him to improve to get to where he need to be because frankly, that's what has gotten him to this point already.

He looks better on the left because it basically removes any requirement for him to think. Get the ball, beat man cross it, done. On the right, get ball, go outside or inside onto good foot? Pass? Shoot? Through ball? Ah, can't decide, nothing on now, SHOOT, is basically what happens to him.

He may grow into a fairly decent 'chalk on his boots' left winger, but he's never ever going to develop into the player that some on here and in the media seem to think he will.
Totally agree with you, he lack the ability to take the right choice in right time, could he gain that with appearance and experience, I wonder?

Totally agree with you, he lack the ability to take the right choice in right time, could he gain that with appearance and experience, I wonder?

I'd actually be interested to see him play down the middle some, a little bit like how Sterling was playing last year for LFC or Downing is playing this year. He's the rare pacy winger type who does have two feet, and it could be interesting to see how he'd get on there, possibly interchanging w/ Lamela. He's obviously not the cleverest footballer, but the same could be said for Downing for most of his career and he's done well there. Just a thought.

He needs space to run into. But he's direct in a way only Lennon can be. He was impressive against the Greeks. If Poch can get the team setup well, so we are pulling defences out of shape, and Townsend can drive into space and get to byline, then he might warrant a place in the first team. I'd given up on him early season, he was just too wild but he showed he can knuckle down. Credit to him.

Just hope Poch realises that Townsend on the left is a really good outlet and plan b. As long as he can continue to improve and impress, I know Poch can turn him into a useful player for us.

A good read about Townsend - his brother's death... 10 years before he scored THAT curler against Shamrock

And how his dad is a respected coach... you would think he would play more with his head up and more of a team player if his dad is/was a coach

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ence-pays-off-after-hard-road-to-the-top.html

Is Townsend in the picture to play tonight or injured, can't remember

Unless something has happened in the last couple of days he will be. Started against Besiktas and on the bench against Swansea.

A good read about Townsend - his brother's death... 10 years before he scored THAT curler against Shamrock

And how his dad is a respected coach... you would think he would play more with his head up and more of a team player if his dad is/was a coach

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ence-pays-off-after-hard-road-to-the-top.html

Is Townsend in the picture to play tonight or injured, can't remember

I like Townsend on the left but he absolutely can not play through the middle or on the right his shooting is so bad I can not believe it will ever improve.

But on the left he has pace and ability to beat a man which if he was in the team or came on as a sub would make the other team keep a man back to deal with him opening up other areas on the pitch for us to attack. He does not have to produce something every time but it is the threat that he does produce on the left that would help us.

For me he is not a started but a good option to have on the bench, I can change my mind on him if he improves but from being a big fan of his I feel he has moved down the pecking order.

I like Townsend on the left but he absolutely can not play through the middle or on the right his uv shooting is so bad I can not believe it will ever improve.

But on the left he has pace and ability to beat a man which if he was in the team or came on as a sub would make the other team keep a man back to deal with him opening up other areas on the pitch for us to attack. He does not have to produce something every time but it is the threat that he does produce on the left that would help us.

For me he is not a started but a good option to have on the bench, I can change my mind on him if he improves but from being a big fan of his I feel he has moved down the pecking order.

I agree. A good option from the bench ATM. Let him play on the left and allow Eriksen to move more centrally later in games.

I think Townsend gets a lot of unnecessary stick. First if he was played solely as a left winger he would be more effective getting the ball over to harry Kane. This Rose-crowned fruit dove nonsense just tempts him into contstantly shooting. His directness and drive if harassned correctly could be a major assest.

I agree. A good option from the bench ATM. Let him play on the left and allow Eriksen to move more centrally later in games.

If playing him on the left removes the decision making from his game and forces him down the outside all the time then it will be very, very easy for people to defend against him.

Wonder if Poch is just giving him some minutes here and there so as not to become worthless before Jan window. For the £10M that got bandied around this summer there has to be better quality available. Done nothing to claim a place in a team targeting top 4 IMO.

Wonder if Poch is just giving him some minutes here and there so as not to become worthless before Jan window. For the £10M that got bandied around this summer there has to be better quality available. Done nothing to claim a place in a team targeting top 4 IMO.

This might not be the most popular opinion in the world. But with the limited playing time he's currently getting (deservedly so imo) and the (lack of) impact he has when he does play selling him and bringing Alex Pritchard back from Brentford to replace him and add whatever we get for Townsend to our striker and central midfield budget seems like a solid plan for me.

Still definitely a player in Townsend, has some very good qualities. Useful squad player I think. But he seems no closer to locking down a first team spot than he did this summer and I think we could do with the money.

This might not be the most popular opinion in the world. But with the limited playing time he's currently getting (deservedly so imo) and the (lack of) impact he has when he does play selling him and bringing Alex Pritchard back from Brentford to replace him and add whatever we get for Townsend to our striker and central midfield budget seems like a solid plan for me.

Still definitely a player in Townsend, has some very good qualities. Useful squad player I think. But he seems no closer to locking down a first team spot than he did this summer and I think we could do with the money.

Is he really? Runs around a bit, takes on one player to many time and time again and a poor end product. Sure he has some moments, but this is generally what I get from his performances. Can anyone really say that they would be happy with him in the team for a 10-15 game run if injuries forced it. IMO we can find better quality for this role at the "same" price. Would happily eat my words, not sure he has what it takes to make it at the level that we are aiming for.

Last edited:
I'm afraid Andros is probably the most predictable attacker in the prem. Gets the ball cuts inside and shoots(badly most times) or keeps going until crowded out and loses it. All the while he could have played an easy ball to a team mate in a better position. So frustrating if his shooting was any good he could easily be a 10-15 goal a season midfielder for us.

Showed tonight why he's a better option than Lamela playing as an i.verted winger on the right - being able to use your weaker foot helps in that regard. Managed to have a positive effect on the game.

Still makes some bad decisions some times and he may not be the answer long term, but deserves a run in the team ahead of the pretty boy Argentinian.

Back