• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

We are not exactly weighed down with potential matchwinners - and, like it or not, he is one. L

How many matches has he won us?

Edit:

Sorry, just seen that was already asked.

But seriously, how can you describe someone who doesn't win matches for his team a match winner?

Townsend will come good. If not with us, then with another premiership side. He has too many qualities - fast, can beat a man and has a strong shot with either foot. With some decent coaching to bring out these qualities, in my opinion he will become a good Premiership player.

We are not exactly weighed down with potential matchwinners - and, like it or not, he is one. His shot just over the bar against Emirates Marketing Project could have proved decisive had it gone in. Name another impact sub that we currently have who is capable of changing the game by himself?

Sounds like the same things that were said about Adam Johnson. Who had and has some of the same weaknesses that Towsend has.

Townsend needs to improve if he is to "come good" at our level. At 23 with around 25 league starts he still has some time. But it's also about time to start improving imo.

How many matches has he won us?

Edit:

Sorry, just seen that was already asked.

But seriously, how can you describe someone who doesn't win matches for his team a match winner?

Asked and answered above. I said "potential matchwinner".

Funny how Redknapp, AVB, Hodgson and now Poch all seem to see something in him. Are they all wrong?

Last edited:
Sounds like the same things that were said about Adam Johnson. Who had and has some of the same weaknesses that Towsend has.

Townsend needs to improve if he is to "come good" at our level. At 23 with around 25 league starts he still has some time. But it's also about time to start improving imo.

Johnson never had Townsend's pace. But other than that, I agree he needs to start improving soon if he is to make it with us.

As much as everyone refuses to miss an opportunity to **** him off you people need to remember he has not started a single league match this season so when you all decide to lay into him just remember he is not the sole reason for our mediocrity this season. And yes I know you all blame him for that goal against Liverpool, but while he should shoulder some responsibility the way I remember it he lost the ball in Liverpool's half, maybe if our defence had not gone AWOL they would have have put up some resistance.

In comparison, I would suggest that both captain Kaboul and vice captain Adebayor bear have contributed more to our present malaise than Townsend. Neither have given any leadership (Arsenal aside) Kaboul seems unable to defend while Ade is now a non goal scoring defender. So sure you can all dump on him and kick out of the club but just know he is the not the fundamental problem

As much as everyone refuses to miss an opportunity to **** him off you people need to remember he has not started a single league match this season so when you all decide to lay into him just remember he is not the sole reason for our mediocrity this season. And yes I know you all blame him for that goal against Liverpool, but while he should shoulder some responsibility the way I remember it he lost the ball in Liverpool's half, maybe if our defence had not gone AWOL they would have have put up some resistance.

In comparison, I would suggest that both captain Kaboul and vice captain Adebayor bear have contributed more to our present malaise than Townsend. Neither have given any leadership (Arsenal aside) Kaboul seems unable to defend while Ade is now a non goal scoring defender. So sure you can all dump on him and kick out of the club but just know he is the not the fundamental problem

While I partly agree with you here, I think the reason that people were so annoyed by Townsend losing the ball against Liverpool was due to the fact that he attempted to beat his player despite the fact that his fullback had charged on and therefore he had no cover behind him if he were to lose the ball. At best it was a very poor piece of decision making and at worst it was a total disregard to playing for the team. I was also a little annoyed that having lost the ball he didn't then simply commit the foul and take the inevitable yellow card (as Liverpool did to us every time we got beyond them in the middle areas of the pitch).

I think that perhaps one of Townsend's problems is that he sometimes seems as though he is almost trying to impress too much and when he gets a cameo appearance he thinks that he has to use that time to do something special to prove that he should be starting. Whereas when he starts our cup games he seems to play more responsibly and for the team.

Agree with you Finney #1765

Townsend's major fault has been trying to impress as an individual rather than as a team player.

I don't know if it were just me but against Villa, I saw him as a team player more than I have ever done previously . He's appearance like Kane's, seemed to lift the fans and players and he fed on it. Playing on the wing in front of that fantastic away support must have been a source of happiness for him, being a Spurs fan .

Maybe Poch has been getting into his head about playing for the team rather than himself . I hope so.

I was a big fan of townsend when he first broke into the team, I lost that after 2 seasons where he did not kick on and also the stupid shooting all the time. But this season I have noticed he does not shoot so much, still crap when he does and it looks like he is really trying to be a better team player. Not sure he is the answer any more but I admire the effort he is putting in.

While I partly agree with you here, I think the reason that people were so annoyed by Townsend losing the ball against Liverpool was due to the fact that he attempted to beat his player despite the fact that his fullback had charged on and therefore he had no cover behind him if he were to lose the ball. At best it was a very poor piece of decision making and at worst it was a total disregard to playing for the team. I was also a little annoyed that having lost the ball he didn't then simply commit the foul and take the inevitable yellow card (as Liverpool did to us every time we got beyond them in the middle areas of the pitch).

I think that perhaps one of Townsend's problems is that he sometimes seems as though he is almost trying to impress too much and when he gets a cameo appearance he thinks that he has to use that time to do something special to prove that he should be starting. Whereas when he starts our cup games he seems to play more responsibly and for the team.
Agree with that. I'd be less concerned if he showed any sign of improving in that regard but so far it seems to be beyond him.

When he plays, he should play on the left imo. He doesn't have the skills to come in from the right, but he could provide good width for us down the left side when we need it.

Neither are just Kaboul and Ade.

When he plays, he should play on the left imo. He doesn't have the skills to come in from the right, but he could provide good width for us down the left side when we need it.

Last time he played on the right, against Brighton??? he was whipping in more crosses than he was shooting IIRC.

He needs a sports psychiatrist as does Dembele. To help with decision making. Naturally they both have bags of ability but need to learn to make decisions.
Problem with Andros now is that for Spurs he is always that step away from breaking in to the first team. When he does come on his desire to show his ability causes him to try and do too much. It isn't just shooting. He runs in to blind channels with two players on him without the support of his FB. He then loses the ball. Very frustrating.

But with the right coaching he still has a chance at Spurs. Let's hope Poch is that man.

Last time he played on the right, against Brighton??? he was whipping in more crosses than he was shooting IIRC.

When he did the damage for Kane's goal, he was running down the left side of their box though. I think he's much more dangerous going on the outside and occasionally coming in on his right foot (which is still pretty good) than doing the opposite on the right flank.

Townsend had proved tonight that he's decent on the left. He's had a good game tonight; with a good assist & a well taken penalty.

All good things...

@OptaJoe: 34 - Andros Townsend's goal was his first for Tottenham since October 2013, ending a drought of 34 games (in all comps). Return.

Back