• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Id cash the cheque before the other club got a chance to cancel it tbh

Edit - that's harsher than he deserves tbf, he obviously wants to succeed here and being a local Spurs lad from the youth ranks I would have loved for him to make it with us - just sadly he's not good enough and there's no room for passengers at this level

Last edited:
The guy isn't happy as Onomah gets to come on while sits on the bench, naturally it causes frustration for him. I think he just doesn't fit in the best 11 under Poch and he isn't happy with this possibly so a move may be best for him.

Once Chadli, Son, Njie get fit he won't get anywhere near the bench. Hopefully yesterday will get him to at least consider a move away.

Doubt we'll get more than 6-7m for him. Other teams will know he's surplus to requirements too and I don't think more than 1 or 2 clubs will be interested in him even for that price
Disagree. As well as the "English player" inflation, the "January premium" will come into effect. There will be several desperate clubs in January looking to avoid getting pulled into the relegation scrap (or else, looking to get out of it). A player like Townsend will be a very attractive proposition IMO. In the right team, I think he could yet be a fine player - he's certainly got the right attitude and work-rate from what I can tell. So if a bidding war kicks off between four or five bottom-half clubs (which is easily possible) I think we could get £15m+ for him.

I'd actually have nothing against keeping him at the club for squad depth / back-up. But I'm guessing he's (rightly) looking for first team football at the moment - so best to cash in and put the money towards a new striker.

Disagree. As well as the "English player" inflation, the "January premium" will come into effect. There will be several desperate clubs in January looking to avoid getting pulled into the relegation scrap (or else, looking to get out of it). A player like Townsend will be a very attractive proposition IMO. In the right team, I think he could yet be a fine player - he's certainly got the right attitude and work-rate from what I can tell. So if a bidding war kicks off between four or five bottom-half clubs (which is easily possible) I think we could get £15m+ for him.

I'd actually have nothing against keeping him at the club for squad depth / back-up. But I'm guessing he's (rightly) looking for first team football at the moment - so best to cash in and put the money towards a new striker.
I think it's possible for CERTAIN bottom-half clubs SOMETIMES to spend 15m on a player, but at townsend? really? WBA paid 12m for Rondon, Stoke paid 12m for Shaqiri.. those 2 exampbles are players who were way more highly regarded than Townsend at the time they were bought. It's true some clubs will hit the panic button come january, but I just don't see someone splashing more than 10m on a player like Andros Townsend, add to that everyone will know he's probably not really wanted here right now.

Subject to how long is off on his contract and assuming we don't have many injuries at the time, I'd loan him out in Jan to someone in the bottom half where he'll play week in week out. He clearly wants to succeed at Spurs and needs some regular football to develop. Successful teams like Fergie's Man U team had perennial subs like Phil Neville and Solskjaer and you need some senior pros who are happy to make up the numbers. When they hit a purple patch of form they start but are mainly used off the bench or in cups. If the club is being successful and in the CL then it works

Subject to how long is off on his contract and assuming we don't have many injuries at the time, I'd loan him out in Jan to someone in the bottom half where he'll play week in week out. He clearly wants to succeed at Spurs and needs some regular football to develop. Successful teams like Fergie's Man U team had perennial subs like Phil Neville and Solskjaer and you need some senior pros who are happy to make up the numbers. When they hit a purple patch of form they start but are mainly used off the bench or in cups. If the club is being successful and in the CL then it works

The problem is that the players coming through look to be better than him too. If we loan him out, the likelihood is that he would find it even harder to get into the team when he returned.

The problem is that the players coming through look to be better than him too. If we loan him out, the likelihood is that he would find it even harder to get into the team when he returned.

Have to agree with this, he has played nearly 100 games for us and it all honesty in most of them he has been poor. He does not seem able/willing to overcome the faults in his game and if we get offered a decent price it would be best for us and him to move on ( imo).

Andros has fantastic focus and work ethic when training and his commitment to Spurs is unquestioned.

However, he remains the same player he was 3 seasons ago. He hasn't come on at all.

And may i suggest that if i was the manager and i'm trying to coach, develop and improve a player for the greater good of him and the team, the one thing that would reduce my trust and belief in a player is the impression that he is not taking a blind bit of notice of what im telling him.
I don't think he's failing to take notice.

IMO, Townsend has stopped improving because he's reached a mental limit, not a physical one. He has enough physical attributes to make it, he just doesn't see the game properly in his head.

He'd have made the perfect England footballer in the 80s, unfortunately for him, football has moved on since.

This is a player who would make a diff for, say,Villa. Shove Gestade upfront, let Townsend run and sling them in. I'd let him go for 7.
He's the kind of player that would thrive in a "Whatever you do, don't fudging think about what you're doing" Sherwood team.

Unfortunately for him that probably would mean a step down about 3 divisions if he ever gets another job.

He's the kind of player that would thrive in a "Whatever you do, don't fudgeing think about what you're doing" Sherwood team.

Unfortunately for him that probably would mean a step down about 3 divisions if he ever gets another job.

It makes me so happy to note how far this football club has progressed in the two years since Capt Bellend was 'in charge' (loose term) and Townsend was a player we 'needed'...in fact, this might be the happiest I've been in approx 20 years. We have a side which could be with us for a long time, young, growing together, some of 'ours' in there and a manager on the sidelines I am PROUD of as opposed to one I had to force myself to feel 'OK' about (employing my football hypocrisy as I did!)...

Does bidding wars actually happen? Seems more likely if clubs start throwing money around to secure a player over their rivals that money will be thrown at the player and agent not the selling club.

More interest increases the chance that a club is willing to pay up what Levy will want. But I don't think it sparks a bidding war.

Senior pros that fit the system and that can be trusted to perform when needed. We have quite a few players that potentially can fill that role if they fail to push on and make themselves first choice players. Townsend for me is not a good fit for that role.

I think he should aim for regular football somewhere else. He has his strengths and a season or two of playing tons of football seems like the way forward for him. I don't think playing for a bottom half team that plays a completely different style of football to us will help him develop into a player suitable for our style of play. So I don't think a loan deal is the solution for him or us.

Exactly. Its easy to criticise without anyone knowing any facts.

They say a picture paints a thousand words but not always the right ones in my opinion

I may not know the facts but this is not an "incident" with a team mate which is no big deal, but rather with a member of the coaching staff. It will be interesting to see if Andros plays on Thursday or even makes the bench, especially considering how Poch dealt with "Kaboul's Cabal".

I have always supported him as he impressed me when he broke into the first team but I fear the end is nigh.

GHod I can't wait til this hideous football has gone, should've gone in the summer. Wouldn't surprise me if we never saw him again after Thursday, roostery taco probably sulking after ONomah went on ins†had of him. Rather than looking at himself he probably blames the coaching staff. Mate, you're just utter turf who fooled the country you were good for a little bit and still fool people you have pace and are dangerous.

Has had a few moments that make you think he could offer something in a tight game, but he needs to work on his first touch, and his football brain. The football brain is harder to teach, so really, he belongs in the cluster of clubs in mid table mediocrity

GHod I can't wait til this hideous football has gone, should've gone in the summer. Wouldn't surprise me if we never saw him again after Thursday, roostery taco probably sulking after ONomah went on ins†had of him. Rather than looking at himself he probably blames the coaching staff. Mate, you're just utter turf who fooled the country you were good for a little bit and still fool people you have pace and are dangerous.
I think that's harsh.

I can't see any reason for doubting his application or attitude, he's just not suited to our style of play. I wouldn't criticise a player who isn't pacy for being incapable of running faster, equally I won't criticise a player who doesn't have the swiftness of mind required to play our football for being unable to do that. I don't think he should be at our club past January, but I think it's more than a little unfair to make it personal.

Back