• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: Avb done (official)

I'm still trying to cling to the idea we should have given AVB more time, but I'm not sure in my heart I actually believe it.

Against our notional rivals:

- Arsenal: We were hideously outplayed.
- Chelsea: We were good for a half hour but poor after that and were very lucky to hold on.
- Everton: Did a job, but probably marginally outplayed.
- City: Very bad.
- Man. Utd.: We did ok but only got a point at home, and they were at their wobbliest point in season.
- Liverpool: Even worse than City in many ways.

That's 6 games out of 15. The other 9 were:

- Palace: Poor, but opening game, so no problem
- Swansea: We were ok
- Cardiff: Pretty good
- Norwich: We were very good
- West Ham: Total disaster
- Saudi Sportswashing Machine: Meh, Krul did well and we probably deserved at least a point
- Villa: Did the job
- Fulham: Did the job
- Sunderland: Did the job

So out of 15 games I count 1 "very good", 3 complete disasters, 2 outplayed by direct rivals, and the other 9 a mixture of "ok" or "did a job".

That's not pretty.

We havent beaten any of the top 10 in the league.

I've always been one of Levy's biggest supporters but I'm starting to feel this way too.

For a successful businessman he has a terrible understanding of the phrase "long-term plan".

His only redemption will be if he has some real quality lined up - I doubt it though. Most are either at super clubs or, like Klopp, have stated they're unavailable.

Same here.

I don't even know what 'real quality' means in a managerial sense either. Everyone we could get has massive question marks against them. We may as well just run with Hoddle and maybe the fact that the players are of better quality will mean he gets on with them better.

I literally don't care who we get now. They won't be given the time unless they are the most perfect manager walking the planet and I don't know who that guy is.

Same here.

I don't even know what 'real quality' means in a managerial sense either. Everyone we could get has massive question marks against them. We may as well just run with Hoddle and maybe the fact that the players are of better quality will mean he gets on with them better.

I literally don't care who we get now. They won't be given the time unless they are the most perfect manager walking the planet and I don't know who that guy is.

Levy is a clever man. He knows there is no "one right candidate". There are probably a bunch of managers that could do the job and a lot who are the wrong man for the job. He believes that AVB was one of those wrong men for the job. Doesn't mean that he's looking for some messiah-like figure.

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

This is now two clubs that have sacked AVB, claiming they want him to implement something for the long term and then cutting him short before he can really get it going. Have to feel for him from that point of view. He should have just taken the PSG job.

What those clubs wanted was actually something great for the long term but also something that allows them to compete in the present, basically wanting the world and spitting their dummies out when they didn't get it. Just awful. It doesn't exist.

might as well pick a name out of a hat and assess every 6 months, I don't think Levy looked at Redknapp and thought, he'll get us in the CL, I think the logic was he'll keep us up

If you think about it, ignoring recent performances, we re 6 points off 4th and 8 off 1st. Football has become crazy recently eh?

I've been incredibly critical after initially thinking we should bring AVB in and heavily supported him. Personally, after having backed him to the tune of 100 million in the summer, I still think we should have given him the season, barring a complete collapse and potential relegation battle. Or at the very least, the Christmas and new year period. We could have been standing on 10th January in the semifinals of the cc, having knocked out Arsenal of the fa cup and with a very healthy points total (not saying that is what would have happened but it was possible).

Oh well, now it's happened. We ll have to move on. I wonder who he ll go for. I'm guessing baldini will be heavily involved in the recruitment of the new manager.

i-want-the-moon-on-a-stick.png

Levy is a clever man. He knows there is no "one right candidate". There are probably a bunch of managers that could do the job and a lot who are the wrong man for the job. He believes that AVB was one of those wrong men for the job. Doesn't mean that he's looking for some messiah-like figure.

Even if he's looking for a good guy with some specific qualities to do a specific job and coach in a specific way, if things go tits up for a little bit this guy won't get the time to turn it around and we will be back here again in a couple of years. Completely pointless to me.

It wasn't 6 defeats in a row. It wasn't as if the players weren't trying to do what was asked of them. Just an utterly pointless sacking if you ask me.

It's not head scratching Diego.

We (Tottenham Hotspur...not some league one team) getting owned 0-3 at home to west ham, 0-6 to City and 0-5 at home to Liverpool? in one season? it's absolutely disgusting. Add to that we had to endure one and a half seasons of turbo **** home performances where we jump for joy whenever we create any sort of meaningful chance. It was becoming utterly ridiculous and something had to give.

I understand it, head scratching in terms of bloody hell here we go again. It's a repeat cycle of events over and over and over again... I don't even care who comes in anymore.

And that is why we get the massive fluctuations in form that we see like no other club, we got it with Ramos and we got it with AVB. It's because they are trying to build something long term.

I'm 100% sure if AVB wanted to, without a care for future years or even for the rest of the season, he could easily send players out to keep it simple and play the other guys off the park. We'd win a few. We'd look good. But I don't think it would have been good for our long term health. We were trying to get to a place that we looked good playing in a controlled way that we could use consistently.

Same here.

I don't think we can attract any of the "real quality" managers either - they're all at clubs in the CL with far more money than us or retired.

His only redemption will be if he has some real quality lined up - I doubt it though. Most are either at super clubs or, like Klopp, have stated they're unavailable.
There'll be no one lined up. Except for Tim Sherwood of course. No great manager is going to want to join us anyway, we're not a big club.

The only good thing is if Danny start re-hiring people he's already sacked once it will at least give me a good laugh.

Why he had to go:

1. Poor form agaist the heavyweights. What is it, 3 points?
2. dropping points against teams we should be beating.
3. Baffling team selections. ie Dembele, Sandro and Paulhino TOGETHER in midfield.
4. Baffling substitutions.
5. Crap brand of football. Barely a shot on target in some games and glacial ball movement.
6. Arrogance! No sense that he would change things up. Far too rigid.

this, really had no choice we have been so dire this season. Results not the worst but not the Tottenham way at all

Matt dingdonginson (The Times) has just suggested that we offered Rodgers the job before AVB on Twitter, interesting.

I guess Rodgers will feel vindicated for favouring LFC over Spurs on recent events. Wanted to be more 'manager' than 'head coach'

It was pointed out that he was appointed 2 weeks before Redknapp was sacked but his response was,

I don't think that's quite how the business works...

that may be a little naive

Back