• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: Avb done (official)

3 horrific results. Outside of that, it was actually a decent season. There was always going to be some pain to begin with when you've had such an upheaval. I don't know. Head scratching stuff, where do we go from here?

I think this is where we'll go:

New caretaker manager - new system - off season, new manager - new players - new system - transitional season - more new faces - second season - instability - impatient fans - impatient Levy - manager sacked.

Then repeat.

Norwich at home was the one single occasion when I understood the idea of AVB's high-possession, high-line, high-pressing game and how it could be exciting and effective. We had so much power and momentum in that game, albeit against a poor side. I thought it was all coming together at that point. Sigh. I guess against better teams it was just too one-dimensional. For example Rodgers yesterday destroyed our high line. Totally destroyed it, and with pretty damn basic tactics.

Absolutely gutted. I don't like football any more. :)

I can't cope with this endless two-year cycle of overhaul, transition, impatience and shooting ourselves in the foot.

Levy needs to fall on his sword now.

3 horrific results. Outside of that, it was actually a decent season. There was always going to be some pain to begin with when you've had such an upheaval. I don't know. Head scratching stuff, where do we go from here?

It's not head scratching Diego.

We (Tottenham Hotspur...not some league one team) getting owned 0-3 at home to west ham, 0-6 to City and 0-5 at home to Liverpool? in one season? it's absolutely disgusting. Add to that we had to endure one and a half seasons of turbo **** home performances where we jump for joy whenever we create any sort of meaningful chance. It was becoming utterly ridiculous and something had to give.

Levy HAS to take some the blame for this. At what point does he stop and actually employ the right person for the job? If my CEO continually employed ****ups questions would be asked

well said.

he had Redknapp, but no... he could have gone for Rodgers (not my ideal choice, the guy's a loon - but obviously has something about him), but no... he could have got Martinez who's proving himself at a higher level than Wigan now, but no...

when's he either going to get it right, or give a guy time?

I can't cope with this endless two-year cycle of overhaul, transition, impatience and shooting ourselves in the foot.

Haha isn't this better than supporting some stable mid table team though. A roller coaster that lets you know you're alive...

Levy has brought the club forward in his time in charge fairly consistently. There is no need for him to fall on his sword for me.

Overall im gutted and deflated. Not for the fact that AVB has gone although i was eager for him to suceed. But for the fact that we are changing manager again and it has not worked out the way we wanted. I firmly believed that AVB was the right man, we forward thinking tactics and a young manager that could take us forward and be with us for a long time. That has proved to be false and that is what I am gutted about. Its true we have played some pretty bad football at times, but also we have played some stong games. The thing was it seemed to be getting worse.

After yesterdays game i was totally deflated, felt like he was close to the sack. But in my mind i thought he is only 5 points of the CL places and give time he could turn it around. We need continuity for the sake of the team and the players.

I dont want Capello. I dont want Hiddink. I wanted AVB or Rodgers and we lost out on Rodgers. Martinez is gone. In the short term i want Hoddle back. It may be sentimental but he knows his tactics is available and will work in the short term.

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Interestingly enough, AVB has a better win percentage from his first 80 games in charge than both Wenger, Redknapp and Rodgers (in 72 games). Under AVB's first 80 games in charge, we've also lost fewer games than those three managers. I'd argue this shows he must be doing something right?

AVB:
44 wins
20 draws
16 losses
55 % win rate

Redknapp:
40 wins
18 draws
22 losses
50 % win rate

Wenger:
40 wins
23 draws
17 losses
50 % win rate

Rodgers: (72 games)
36 wins
18 draws
17 losses
50 % win rate

Edit: Guess the collection of stats didn't matter much when he got fired during the process! :lol:](*,)

These stats are ********. There's a load of Europa league games stuck in there in AVB's 80.
Compare league games to league games.

Ok, I laughed. Poor sod. Our football was dire though.

Problem for me was he (or someone else) put together a squad of players who were absolutely not suited for his tactics.

I've always been one of Levy's biggest supporters but I'm starting to feel this way too.

For a successful businessman he has a terrible understanding of the phrase "long-term plan".

His only redemption will be if he has some real quality lined up - I doubt it though. Most are either at super clubs or, like Klopp, have stated they're unavailable.

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

That is a very good point. Humiliating as it is, I'd prefer the two 0-5 and 0-6 losses to four 0-1/0-2 losses any day. Had AVB been allowed to continue, and we made fourth, no one on here would even remember, let alone care about the Liverpool and City games.

Quite. Logical thought seems to be a stretch for football fans though - emotional decision-making is far easier to do.

Ok, I laughed. Poor sod. Our football was dire though.

Problem for me was he (or someone else) put together a squad of players who were absolutely not suited for his tactics.

We have to look ahead now.. The best teams are the solid german teams right now so i'd go for Kloop. I know he just signed a new 2 year deal recently but contracts mean nothing these days.. He's clearly the outstanding candidate right now.

I enjoy watching his teams play and he's a winner. Maybe even have Freund still in the set up as he used to play for Dortmund perhaps?

Second choice is Laundrup he's clearly an up and coming manager.

Why he had to go:

1. Poor form agaist the heavyweights. What is it, 3 points?
2. dropping points against teams we should be beating.
3. Baffling team selections. ie Dembele, Sandro and Paulhino TOGETHER in midfield.
4. Baffling substitutions.
5. Crap brand of football. Barely a shot on target in some games and glacial ball movement.
6. Arrogance! No sense that he would change things up. Far too rigid.

I was a big fan of AVB's and wanted him in to replace Redknapp but due to our **** poor football and yesterdays result i wanted him gone. Now that it has happened i'm shocked. Feel sorry for the guy, when he was under pressure at Chelsea and again yesterday he had one of them looks on his face and i just wanted to give the guy a cuddle :( really disappointed that it didn't work out for him but the football was sooo boring.

I'm still trying to cling to the idea we should have given AVB more time, but I'm not sure in my heart I actually believe it.

Against our notional rivals:

- Arsenal: We were hideously outplayed.
- Chelsea: We were good for a half hour but poor after that and were very lucky to hold on.
- Everton: Did a job, but probably marginally outplayed.
- City: Very bad.
- Man. Utd.: We did ok but only got a point at home, and they were at their wobbliest point in season.
- Liverpool: Even worse than City in many ways.

That's 6 games out of 15. The other 9 were:

- Palace: Poor, but opening game, so no problem
- Swansea: We were ok
- Cardiff: Pretty good
- Norwich: We were very good
- West Ham: Total disaster
- Saudi Sportswashing Machine: Meh, Krul did well and we probably deserved at least a point
- Villa: Did the job
- Fulham: Did the job
- Sunderland: Did the job

So out of 15 games I count 1 "very good", 3 complete disasters, 2 outplayed by direct rivals, and the other 9 a mixture of "ok" or "did a job".

That's not pretty.

It's going to be Hoddle, isn't it?

Wouldn't mind that, it would be a laugh in the short term.

I really feel for AVB, decent bloke and perhaps despite the evidence, I would have given him more time.

Klopp I would love, just can't see it. Who is there that's available, is suited and would come?

For all the talk of Pochettino and Laudrup, they are massively untested and have seen of the type of spotlight they'd be under for us.

I don't even know where we start...

Why he had to go:

1. Poor form agaist the heavyweights. What is it, 3 points?
2. dropping points against teams we should be beating.
3. Baffling team selections. ie Dembele, Sandro and Paulhino TOGETHER in midfield.
4. Baffling substitutions.
5. Crap brand of football. Barely a shot on target in some games and glacial ball movement.
6. Arrogance! No sense that he would change things up. Far too rigid.

7. Clearly lost the players based on yesterday. There's never any way back from that.

Back