• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

Completely disagree @milo Trump is not a conservative, nor is his anti-trade, anti-nato views, he's on his 3rd marriage, non-religious, the list of items that would disqualify him from being a conservative candidate is miles long. Middle America grew up making way too much money on low skill manufacturing jobs that no longer exist and will never return regardless of who they elect.

I agree, he isn't. I was talking about his voters (or at least sections of them). His message, similar to the Brexit campaign, was aimed to appeal to people who wanted to turn the clock back to a country that never existed.

I agree, he isn't. I was talking about his voters (or at least sections of them). His message, similar to the Brexit campaign, was aimed to appeal to people who wanted to turn the clock back to a country that never existed.

Oh I absolutely agree, but the part of the country that did exist (in US at least) was "brown people sit in back of the bus", gays stay hidden (don't ask, don't tell) and women need to be married, in kitchen and having babies.

i've been wrong before (about pretty much everything political this year), but i can't see either abortion or gay marriage changing in the uk, surely
Didn't mean the uk, not a literal us. But many African countries will feel justified. Some worrying votes in Poland and this will bring legitimacy.

The other similarity also appears to be that in campaigns that were dominated by fear of immigration, the areas with the biggest support were those with the lowest levels of immigration. So it appears to be fear of an imagined threat rather than as a result of first hand experience.

what will be interesting is how long it is before the tea party make moves to replace him with a real republican, their eyes will be spinning at the potential

Oh I absolutely agree, but the part of the country that did exist (in US at least) was "brown people sit in back of the bus", gays stay hidden (don't ask, don't tell) and women need to be married, in kitchen and having babies.

The last is still far more common in the States than over here (see the article I liked to on the page before)

The other similarity also appears to be that in campaigns that were dominated by fear of immigration, the areas with the biggest support were those with the lowest levels of immigration. So it appears to be fear of an imagined threat rather than as a result of first hand experience.

it's a well worn playbook

what will be interesting is how long it is before the tea party make moves to replace him with a real republican, their eyes will be spinning at the potential

The real threat is that they put in place measures to further disenfranchise ethnic minority voters and try to lock in an advantage.

What the last 3 votes have informed me (tory majority, Brexit, Trump) is I know nothing and the slow move to a more tolerant society is over, I am on the outside looking in.

The real threat is that they put in place measures to further disenfranchise ethnic minority voters and try to lock in an advantage.

also (a little bit house of cards maybe) but in an exceptional circumstance where the President is unable to perform his duties and the VP is a ballot balancing lunatic the speaker of the house is next man up

Did he chose his running mate with the view that gop leaders will find him a more distasteful leader meaning less chance of him being impeached, from what I know of pence (not a lot) he is a loon. He rubbed a lot of vindictive people up the wrong way, so insurance of a sort.

What the last 3 votes have informed me (tory majority, Brexit, Trump) is I know nothing and the slow move to a more tolerant society is over, I am on the outside looking in.

i feel it's more that we are in the inside looking out wondering where everybody went

i'm disheartened and a little lost

Last edited:
Did he chose his running mate with the view that gop leaders will find him a more distasteful leader meaning less chance of him being impeached, from what I know of pence (not a lot) he is a loon. He rubbed a lot of vindictive people up the wrong way, so insurance of a sort.

he chose him because he's a religious nut job and the base wouldn't vote for him without someone with their values

Like the UK, an election skewed (screwed) by old people with a view of the world that is dead, where black and white fear mongering and shifting the blame to some "other" group continues to be easier for humans to process than actually thinking about policy and what candidates will really do.

Completely disagree @milo Trump is not a conservative, nor is his anti-trade, anti-nato views, he's on his 3rd marriage, non-religious, the list of items that would disqualify him from being a conservative candidate is miles long. Middle America grew up making way too much money on low skill manufacturing jobs that no longer exist and will never return regardless of who they elect.

Truth is, despite a autopsy by the republican party on the losses to Obama and the conclusion of a need to move the republic party into a modern era that is something more than an angry old white man party, that understands brick that the rest of society figured out decades ago (minorities, gender, sexual preference are not ok to target/discriminate/have systematic government policies against), Trump ignored all of that. He doubled down on the "brown people are the problem" and womens/gays have no rights view of the world. People don't want to say it, but this is a racist/bigot vote carry by rural white America.

The fun part is despite winning an overwhelming control of the US government, the Republican party still has huge challenges, specifically this one

- Voters 25 and under would have carried the election for democrats by a margin of 504 - 23

- http://coed.com/2016/11/09/how-the-...oked-if-only-voters-aged-18-25-counted-photo/

People under 25 are so stupid and lacking in life experiences as to not matter to anyone really. I suppose as birth rates slow and people live longer we will have an older electorate.

Well i can not comment on the Tory victory but for the other two i would say its about how many folks are fed up with the status quo, sick to death of the/we are all right jack sod everyone else brand of policys and decided to stand up and be counted.

I guess it all come down to what side of the bed your life lives in.

Back