• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

They are saying that Hilary is on 218 and Trump on 278, so 60 votes between them

But Florida is 29 votes so if that had gone the other way, it would be almost level right now.

And yet Florida is full of Hispanics... loads of women... yet still Trump somehow won it

They are saying that Hilary is on 218 and Trump on 278, so 60 votes between them

But Florida is 29 votes so if that had gone the other way, it would be almost level right now.

And yet Florida is full of Hispanics... loads of women... yet still Trump somehow won it
It was anti establishment - that's what people hope to achieve.

But that won't happen with just a vote - it needs anti capitalist alternatives to run in society alongside capitalism (much like the principle of credit unions and co-ops) or civil unrest targeting capitalism.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

this was won and lost in the Mid-west, democrats should not be losing an election in multi cultural election but they're a bunch of complacent, disorganized, wishy washy appeasers who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.
There's already people in california today asking to secede from the Union, trump will lose the popular vote like Bush did and there is such a huge divide in this country now, but at least he was dignified in his conciliatory speech.
Stunning to say the words president trump, its like Leicester winning the league, we'll be saying did that really happen for a long time to come...

at least i can legally smoke a joint today here, my wife has already threatened to go back to the UK multiple times if this result was to happen.

Unlike the other southern states, Florida's hispanics are mainly of Cuban linage, rather than central american. Many of them are also very capitalistic.

Unlike the other southern states, Florida's hispanics are mainly of Cuban linage, rather than central american. Many of them are also very capitalistic.

Yes they are very right wing as many originate from people fleeing Communism in Cuba. People who lost homes, businesses albeit over 70 years ago.

Trump good for Brexit right? Undoubtedly a pull back from globalisation is occurring, with people saying what is in it for me? If we reduce free trade, they may find out! Global production keeps prices low, and the economy high. But working classes lose jobs to other countries/ or immigration. Are we facing a less dynamic trading world? The question is, what do we replace that with? What comes in its place?

It was anti establishment - that's what people hope to achieve.

But that won't happen with just a vote - it needs anti capitalist alternatives to run in society alongside capitalism (much like the principle of credit unions and co-ops) or civil unrest targeting capitalism.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

It definitely won't happen while they keep re-electing the same people for the congress and the senate.

Yes they are very right wing as many originate from people fleeing Communism in Cuba. People who lost homes, businesses albeit over 70 years ago.

Trump good for Brexit right? Undoubtedly a pull back from globalisation is occurring, with people saying what is in it for me? If we reduce free trade, they may find out! Global production keeps prices low, and the economy high. But working classes lose jobs to other countries/ or immigration. Are we facing a less dynamic trading world? The question is, what do we replace that with? What comes in its place?

If you don't have much, the very least you need to have is hope and not feel a sense of betrayal and contempt to your plight, by the very politicians who are claiming to help you.

As an example : You kinda know it's a rigged system, when we have the chairman of the TUC Frances O'Grady, speaking up for globalism and the uncontrolled free movement of labour, and in the same breath, stating passionately, that when you enlarge the labour pool it has no bearing on keeping down the wages of the labourers. She instead shifts all the blame for the low wage economy on the Tooooories!

We don't have to be A-level students in economic history to know that when there is a shortage of labour, such as after plagues and wars, wages rise! I'm guessing Mrs O'Gradys, 200 grand per year salary, perks and fat pensions that awaits her in later life, have something to do with her spouting her nonsense.

No doubt the next years will be difficult and I can see price rises. But I agree with Trump, that there is to much corporate tax in America and I do think that in the short term he will also borrow to revitalise the economy.

The western hemisphere has been bogged down by a tax and spend careerist political class. It's seen to not have the best interests of it's nationals whilst talking up the benefits of uncontrolled migration and people have had enough of what they consider to BS.

Arrogance often ends up with a bloody nose.

Democrat and Clinton supporter Michael Moore said it in this segment of his Trumpland video.

Whilst, unenthusiastically he wanted Hillary to be president, he understood.

Trump lies, do you really think that his policies won't be largely directed towards improving the life of rich white guys (the establishment). Look at his actions not listening to his words

Bingo.
He sold the US a series of lies and the middle/southern bits bought it.
Be scared not necessarily of him but who he will appoint.
Do not ignore the supreme court situation. Not only will he now pick some draconian fudge, there are two others there in their 80s who are threatening to pop off. He could fill two more supreme court seats. Add to this a republican house and senate (which will in time pass a law against fillibusting supreme court nominees) and it is going to be ugly unless you are ugly.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Antonin Scalia has been the source of some of the scariest, pro-religious brick I've seen come out of the US in a long time. The could get worse when Trump appoints one of his "top guys"

Agree 100%.
And we are a man away from having a total religious nutjob in charge - Mike Pence - a man who makes Ted Cruz seem like Jerry Brown.
It's like Woody Allen's Bananas.

this was won and lost in the Mid-west, democrats should not be losing an election in multi cultural election but they're a bunch of complacent, disorganized, wishy washy appeasers who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.
There's already people in california today asking to secede from the Union, trump will lose the popular vote like Bush did and there is such a huge divide in this country now, but at least he was dignified in his conciliatory speech.
Stunning to say the words president trump, its like Leicester winning the league, we'll be saying did that really happen for a long time to come...

at least i can legally smoke a joint today here, my wife has already threatened to go back to the UK multiple times if this result was to happen.
Trump or legalised marijuana?

If you don't have much, the very least you need to have is hope and not feel a sense of betrayal and contempt to your plight, by the very politicians who are claiming to help you.

As an example : You kinda know it's a rigged system, when we have the chairman of the TUC Frances O'Grady, speaking up for globalism and the uncontrolled free movement of labour, and in the same breath, stating passionately, that when you enlarge the labour pool it has no bearing on keeping down the wages of the labourers. She instead shifts all the blame for the low wage economy on the Tooooories!

We don't have to be A-level students in economic history to know that when there is a shortage of labour, such as after plagues and wars, wages rise! I'm guessing Mrs O'Gradys, 200 grand per year salary, perks and fat pensions that awaits her in later life, have something to do with her spouting her nonsense.

No doubt the next years will be difficult and I can see price rises. But I agree with Trump, that there is to much corporate tax in America and I do think that in the short term he will also borrow to revitalise the economy.

The western hemisphere has been bogged down by a tax and spend careerist political class. It's seen to not have the best interests of it's nationals whilst talking up the benefits of uncontrolled migration and people have had enough of what they consider to BS.

Arrogance often ends up with a bloody nose.

There is a appetite for change. The world outside politics evolves at a exasperating rate. Everything is reinvented and re-branded and technologies change multiple times each year (phones, apps etc etc).

The issue is that politics isn't keeping up, isn't refreshing itself either its image or its content. Re. content and appetite for change, the issue is, there is an appetite, without anyone having any real meat and substance for what change might look like. So the easy options are Brexit, UKIP, Trump. Now they are not really fresh either. We've seen various forms of isolationism, fascism etc. in the past. And Brexit and Trump will struggle to deliver meaningful change, and both I think, will capitulate. Because neither is based on meaningful changes. Just fantasies without the actual policies to make a difference.

What is required is innovation. Innovation in governance. There are new, exciting things nations can do. Trump and Brexit show the appetite, the possibility for shaking things up. Which is needed. But neither has the genuine innovative thinking or research behind it - imo.

Bingo.
He sold the US a series of lies and the middle/southern bits bought it.
Be scared not necessarily of him but who he will appoint.
Do not ignore the supreme court situation. Not only will he now pick some draconian fudge, there are two others there in their 80s who are threatening to pop off. He could fill two more supreme court seats. Add to this a republican house and senate (which will in time pass a law against fillibusting supreme court nominees) and it is going to be ugly unless you are ugly.

Silly question: Can someone please explain how the system (senate, supreme court, house) works, in <200 words or interpretive dance :D

I hear that Obama couldn't push things (bills, legislation, laws) through because the Republicans dominate the above... so how does that happen?

Silly question: Can someone please explain how the system (senate, supreme court, house) works, in <200 words or interpretive dance :D

I hear that Obama couldn't push things (bills, legislation, laws) through because the Republicans dominate the above... so how does that happen?
A bit silly, but it will get you started :cool:

They directly elect their upper chamber (House of Lords equivalent), but 2 years after their presidential elections, so it often goes the other way to the president.

So Obama for the last 6 years was like Teresa May having to work against a Labour majority in the Commons and Lords. Whereas Trump is like Corbin having a Labour majority Commons and Lords.

Senate and the House make up Congress. Although some roles are divided, they are essentially required to make and pass laws - the president can't work without them, but they can work without the president if they get a massive majority.

Both are voted in by local constituents.

The reason a President might struggle with them is that terms are staggered (with differing lengths) so you can have all kinds of mixed membership.

The Supreme Court is in charge of interpreting the law. Those sitting are there for life and they essentially live forever. They are stored in those chambers Darth Vader used and are only wheeled out to make judgements, some of them may have died some time ago, it's hard to tell.

The death of Antonin Scalia left a the Supreme Court roughly tied 3-3 Left and Right. Trump will certainly nominate a Right wing candidate, the only hope is that he'll leave the religious nuts out of it.

I once spent a whole weekend (when i was working in the states) having several yanks try to explain their electoral system to me. After 48 hours of them trying "to educate" the limey from England i was more confused then when i started. Mind you there was a couple of lids and a few bottles of Jack D. being passed around so that may have helped my confusion.

Back