• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Hard to really see him doing the same here. He's won at different clubs and in different leagues. He certainly won't win the league this season so he's relying on a cup. That takes quite a bit of luck and a bit of backbone that I'm not sure we have.

Yesterday, to be fair to him, he was answering the question he was asked and pushed on by the interviewer. And he was just stating a fact. But he's created a soundbite for people to beat him with. Other times when I've heard him say this, it almost sounds like he's trying to convince himself as much as anyone else.
And they will beat him with it for sure

I don't think anyone is claiming we're conceding a lot of chances. But we are conceding very good chances. Martinelli's chance was from Porro being really poor. On a side note, I thought Porro had improved defensively under Ange but yesterday, he was really poor on more than one occasion. A lot of the time his body shape and positioning was well off.

Just rewatched Martinelli chance to double check but l blame Romero who much like maddison in the last game chases a tackle he is never going to win and leaves a gap that they exploit.

Its my opinion that the "Ange ball" system is fundamentally flawed.

The high press/high line, compounded by the inversion of the fullbacks is causing:

A) Vulnerability to swift counter attack when posession is lost -particularly in the centre

B) Congestion in the midfield area restricting the space for the creative players like Maddison and Bentancur.

Furthermore, it looks to me like the midfield players, aware of the above vulnerability, are over protective of posession to the point where they have become reluctant to take risks. Hence the hesitation, checking back and playing the square ball even when the opposing defence has been turned and the killer pass is on. This allows the defenders time to get back into formation.

Premiership coaches are very savvy and have worked out exactly how to combat these tactics. ie. Low block, protect the flanks, funnel the attacks into the congested centre, wait for us to make a mistake or lose posession and break quickly into the space behind our defenders. Now, the high line wasn't directly the cause of us conceding yesterday, but I believe it was in an indirect sense and certainly was against Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Most worryingly, it looks like Ange won't change this. I hope I'm wrong and his system will come good.

But I can't see it.

I don't have any trust left in Ange, I really wanted him to be a success, but I don't think you can be so one dimensional as Ange is and succeed in the PL. Ange OUT! Amorim IN!

You go to Bournemouth and recruit their guy

I think he is a smart move, but I don't think the idea of a year and bust for any manager is one that works (yes it did under Roman but thats different).

We have for once collectively gone conkers deep on one manager, I just don't think the wheels are so far off we need to give in.

I don't think we are or have ever been a club that should demand one year and success, I don't think that timescale accounts for enough IMO

Last edited:
I think Son is a problem that Ange could hang himself with. Has to start because he's captain, Ange even moved him inside when he saw it wasn't working yesterday. That just smacks of trying to keep the captain on no matter what. Think Son, Maddison, and Johnson need to start on the bench. And GHod knows why we didn't see Bergvall.
Odobert on the left in place of Son but then who plays instead of Johnson? We actually don't have a stable of quality wide players who are capable of performing the role Ange seemingly wants from them to an appropriate standard.

If we say play Odobert on the right then we possibly lose his ability to cut in on his stronger foot and shooting (I admittedly don't know good or suited he is at doing this). Then who plays on the left instead of Son?

I think Son is a problem that Ange could hang himself with. Has to start because he's captain, Ange even moved him inside when he saw it wasn't working yesterday. That just smacks of trying to keep the captain on no matter what. Think Son, Maddison, and Johnson need to start on the bench. And GHod knows why we didn't see Bergvall.

Tbf, there is probably a big soft spot for Son as well, plus corporately i'm sure many of the 'higher-ups' don't start asking questions because of the number of fans who come to WHL to watch Son alone (never mind how much merch they buy too..)

Thought this some time ago, then add into the fact the vice captains are Maddison and Romero who aren't really performing either.....

I think he is a smart move, but I don't think the idea of a year and bust for any manager is one that works (yes it did under Roman but thats different).

We have for one as a club collectively gone conkers deep on one manager and I just don't think the wheels are so far off we need to give in.

I don't think we are or have ever been a club that should demand one year and success, I don't think that timescale accounts for enough IMO
I think we have to keep Ange here for the season.
It’s pointless backing a guy then panicking
But I do think the signings have been made with the future in mind and Ariola is the perfect fit for the managers I know of

Odobert on the left in place of Son but then who plays instead of Johnson? We actually don't have a stable of quality wide players who are capable of performing the role Ange seemingly wants from them to an appropriate standard.

If we say play Odobert on the right then we possibly lose his ability to cut in on his stronger foot and shooting (I admittedly don't know good or suited he is at doing this). Then who plays on the left instead of Son?
Werner
Moore

Back