• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

When is Ange and the team going to realise that the slow passing does not work. I lost count at the number of times we had an opportunity for a fast break but when the ball gets to midfield the player stop, the player checks and then passes the ball sideways. Sure we maintain possession but when we try to go forward we are facing two banks of 5.

Last edited:
He’s been unfortunate to have taken charge at a time when our most hated rivals have their best side in many years but it’s still galling to lose 3 NLDs at The Lane on the trot, even back in Wenger’s pomp when we were a mid-table club we never so much as lost 2 in a row at home.

I also want Postecoglou to be given the rest of this season to try and instill his philosophy to this newly assembled squad and hope that our easier run of fixtures ahead see a big improvement in results.
I don't think our run of fixtures will help unless we get really lucky. Cos honestly anyone can attack us and we make anyone look great. And if we are still misfiring and our inability to keep a clean sheet. I think we will struggle against Southampton etc. They played well against utd first 30 and they are just as crap. Brentford worried City for a bit. And we are gonna need some luck to ride out results if we continue to be clueless in attack

Hopefully the newer additions to our squad will be taking a few of those places in upcoming months if the old guard keep letting him down.
Let's hope. But I don't think he will change the old guard. If he happy with purchases and says ridiculous things like we can win title or do a title challenge this year with what we got also saying we got kids for the future and not play them. Makes no sense.

So if he honestly thinks what we got is good enough for a title challenge, I'm troubled.

Like I say currently Aussie Ardilles football translates into

All fart and no poo … slow football, turgid side passing in attack, poor set piece play …

When is Ange and the team going to realise that the slow passing does not work. I lost count at the number of times we had an opportunity for a fast break but when the ball gets to midfield the player stop, the player checks and then passes the ball sideways. Sure we maintain possession but when we try to go forward we are facing two banks of 5.
Perhaps he’s a massive fan of Ray Wilkins and his playing style is a performance art piece dedicated to his memory.

That happened at the end of AVB too. We dominated Liverpool in the game they beat us 5-0
As I was watching it yesterday I did think that it was starting to look a little AVB like. Lots of possession for possessions sake without any penetration.

Though at least Postecoglou has some pacy defenders for his high line.

To be honest I think some of the reaction to yesterday’s performance is OTT. We weren’t good but we weren’t awful. We will continue to concede set piece goals until we replace Vicario. He has no presence at all to counter inswinging crosses. I’d seek to solve the problem in January by chucking £30m to Liverpool for Kelleher,

Last edited:
As I was watching it yesterday I did think that it was starting to look a little AVB like. Lots of possession for possessions sake without any penetration.

To be honest I think some of the reaction to yesterday’s performance is OTT. We weren’t good but we weren’t awful. We will continue to concede set piece goals until we replace Vicario. He has no presence at all to counter inswinging crosses. I’d seek to solve the problem in January by chucking £30m to Liverpool for Kelleher,
Kelleher is great
But I really like Vicario
I think changing Romero for Dragusin may help all over the pitch
Agree the reaction is massively OTT… don’t forget though they were missing the whole first team and played their reserves ;)

Personally, I don't think it's like AVB although I get the comparison. I think Woolwich defended really well against us and that completely blunted us so we went sideways a lot. With AVB, that was by design.

In the first 3 games, we looked very good for large parts of them and attacked with a bit of intent. We just came up against a side yesterday who, sadly, were too good for us and reduced us to looking clueless by virtue of how well they defended and how disciplined they were.

That happened at the end of AVB too. We dominated Liverpool in the game they beat us 5-0
It’s beginning to remind me of that period too. Teams are happy to let us have the ball because we don’t do anything with it. All they have to do is sit back and wait for our errors.
Agree the reaction is massively OTT… don’t forget though they were missing the whole first team and played their reserves ;)
People aren’t reacting to one game, though. They’re reacting to what’s being going on for quite some time.

Personally, I don't think it's like AVB although I get the comparison. I think Woolwich defended really well against us and that completely blunted us so we went sideways a lot. With AVB, that was by design.

In the first 3 games, we looked very good for large parts of them and attacked with a bit of intent. We just came up against a side yesterday who, sadly, were too good for us and reduced us to looking clueless by virtue of how well they defended and how disciplined they were.
Yes, lets be clear I am far from a happy clapper/oblivious to the negatives type of guy. But we could/should have got better results away at Leicester and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and came up against a quality outfit in the Goons and noone would have batted an eyelid if we had got at the very least a point.

That doesn't mean we dont have issues and we do have to improve in both ends of the pitch. But it is fine lines and these fine lines can be rectified and will make a massive difference to the general feeling about the team. It's 4 games in, last season we started off like a train - this time the opposite, but that might actually end up being a good thing. Football fluctuates so much, the amount of times I've seen ][insert club here] be in 'crisis' and then magically turn things around I've lost count of. Outside of Emirates Marketing Project and the Goons this happens to every team, you just have to ride it out and it would make a nice change if our fans stuck with it and perhaps the outcome would be different rather than going through yet another managerial change then going through the same rinse and repeat process all over again.

I would bet my house in a couple of months the outlook is very different....

I think some are underplaying just how strong the goons are at the back. They have conceded just 3 goals away from home in 2024. 2 of those were against us in April (a Raya howler and a pen). And they now they have Timber at left back looks a big upgrade on Zinchenko.

Don't get me wrong, I think we have big problems in our wide attacking positions but yesterday was probably the best defence we will encounter all season. We just couldn't get around or through their defensive line, but I doubt many teams will with any regularity. I have to say it's grudging respect from me in how Arteta has made them such a solid unit.

As for us, if we don't have the players to play in Anges preferred system (which I don't think we do) he simply has to change it up. Go back to basics, try something else for a few games. 4231 with Maddison as a proper number 10. He is just not in the right areas enough as an 8.

Last edited:
Yes, lets be clear I am far from a happy clapper/oblivious to the negatives type of guy. But we could/should have got better results away at Leicester and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and came up against a quality outfit in the Goons and noone would have batted an eyelid if we had got at the very least a point.

That doesn't mean we dont have issues and we do have to improve in both ends of the pitch. But it is fine lines and these fine lines can be rectified and will make a massive difference to the general feeling about the team. It's 4 games in, last season we started off like a train - this time the opposite, but that might actually end up being a good thing. Football fluctuates so much, the amount of times I've seen ][insert club here] be in 'crisis' and then magically turn things around I've lost count of. Outside of Emirates Marketing Project and the Goons this happens to every team, you just have to ride it out and it would make a nice change if our fans stuck with it and perhaps the outcome would be different rather than going through yet another managerial change then going through the same rinse and repeat process all over again.

I would bet my house in a couple of months the outlook is very different....

Okay I accept the bet. Where is the house?

We are heavily dependent on Solanke making a mark. It is hard to see another pathway to significant improvement.

It will just take one game and I hope it comes soon for him and Ange as the gobbricks are already looking for blood.

The major problem for Ange is the attack. Maddison is not cutting it. Eriksen pre 2020 in that kind of role would be running the show. I recognise that Maddison made some good passes yesterday. Also why are some players refusing to shoot and instead try to pass to Son or Maddison.

I think some are underplaying just how strong the goons are at the back. They have conceded just 3 goals away from home in 2024. 2 of those were against us in April (a Raya howler and a pen). And they now they have Timber at left back looks a big upgrade on Zinchenko.

Don't get me wrong, I think we have big problems in our wide attacking positions but yesterday was probably the best defence we will encounter all season. We just couldn't get around or through their defensive line, but I doubt many teams will with any regularity. I have to say it's begrudging respect from me in how Arteta has made them such a solid unit.

As for us, if we don't have the players to play in Anges preferred system (which I don't think we do) he simply has to change it up. Go back to basics, try something else for a few games. 4231 with Maddison as a proper number 10. He is just not in the right areas enough as an 8.
And I guess this is my criticism of Ange. He doesn't and never will make us solid defensively. You'll never see us do what Woolwich did yesterday and we have some quality defenders. I thought, first 15 mins aside, they were brilliant at the back and we could have been there until next Sunday and not scored.

But talk of sacking Ange would be madness IMO. I can't take another go on the managerial merry go round coz it always ends the same. Give the guy time to do the job. And we need to be clear on expectations. Are we expecting to challenge Woolwich or City? If not, we're looking to challenge top 4. Losing at home to Woolwich and away to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, both somewhat unluckily, is not anywhere near fatal to those aspirations.

With this ownership model, ENIC have taken us as far as they can IMO. That's not to say I want them gone. As I always say, there are a handful of owners who can take us forward and dozens who'd take us backwards. But we've got to be realistic. We're gonna finish 4th-7th with any competent manager. And Ange certainly fits that bill even if he has faults.

Back