• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

Le tissier just said on SSN that Spurs put a bid in a few weeks ago which was less than Southampton paid for him from Celtic! Brilliant stuff from Levy!

You believe that village idiot before you've heard/read anything else?

The truth is in my view no one wants to sell to Spurs because they don't have more money.

Where 15 million used to be a fortune for small clubs like Southampton and West Brom, that's nothing now. You have to offer twice that to get their attention.
Yep I think you are close to the truth here. PL 'experience' now comes with a 10 mil value addon as a result of the copious amounts of TV money swashing around.

Reactions: DTA
Where 15 million used to be a fortune for small clubs like Southampton and West Brom, that's nothing now. You have to offer twice that to get their attention.

I think EPL clubs will stop buying from other EPL clubs from now on, they are now so cash rich they want mega money for thier better players.

There will be even more overseas players coming in! Stones @ £40m is just silly. He is good but.....

I think EPL clubs will stop buying from other EPL clubs from now on, they are now so cash rich they want mega money for thier better players.

There will be even more overseas players coming in! Stones @ £40m is just silly. He is good but.....
They pretty much have.Its been like this for years though.I don't think we will buy a PL player on the up for a very long time and we haven't previously other than Dembele who we overpaid with the Modric money but we needed him.If WBA really quoted us 23mill then its not surprising Peace wouldn't let him go.In the PL inflated market he should be costing(not worth it though) 30mill and upwards.If City/utd or Chelscum happen to have a striker crisis in Jan they will pay that for him

Squawka News ‏@SquawkaNews 7m7 minutes ago
EXCLUSIVE: Spurs could trigger "gentleman's agreement" with Victor Wanyama. By @gstobart - http://sqwk.at/VictorSpurs

Theres a link there and all sorts, make of it what you will, he is no Ryan Mason is all i will say.

I wouldn't pay more than £10m for him, seeing as he's in the last year of his contract.

I'm not a big fan. His passing is tinkle poor and he doesn't cover anywhere near as much ground as Dier.

I think there are better options out there e.g. Dendoncker or Vestergaard

I wouldn't pay more than £10m for him, seeing as he's in the last year of his contract.

I'm not a big fan. His passing is tinkle poor and he doesn't cover anywhere near as much ground as Dier.

Fudge you GB why am I agreeing with you, may you forever be cursed. If someone wants him enough to pay £25m then good luck to them but i am pretty sure it wont be us!

I would pay between 20 and 25 million £ for him in normal circumstances. He is the right age and a proven performer in the PL. The fact that he is about to enter the last year of his contract obviously means he should go for less than that, but I would hope that we simply concentrate on getting the player (providing his wages are not exorbitant) If we paid 15 to 20 million for Wanyama this summer then I would be extremely happy.

You call his passing tinkle poor, but he is at least as good a passer as Dier is. You say he doesn't cover anywhere near as much ground as Dier, I would say that he looks to be positionally better than Dier so doesn't need to. You talk about better options out there and then name Dendoncker?.... I cannot understand how you can criticise Wanyama's passing and then advocate Dendoncker - who is a much poorer passer of the ball.

You also name Vestergaard, who is primarily a central defender, distribution isn't his strongest point and he isn't mobile at all (and I know you have questioned Wanyama's mobility before).

I know you you don't rate Wanyama as a player, but it seems to me that you seem to rate/write off players based on something other than actually watching them. Your two suggestions as better alternatives to Wanyama illustrate this, as neither of them possess the qualities that you state as being deficiencies in Wanyama's game and your reason for not wanting him.

My own thoughts are that Wanyama is the exact sort of player that we need to bring into our squad (and perhaps not just the "exact sort of player" but the "exact player". Personally I think it is reasonably likely that he could come in and replace Dier as opposed to covering him. I think he is at least as good as Dier in that holding midfield role. He would give us cover/competition, but also provide us with an option to play more defensively by pairing him with Dier, either from the start if looking to play on the break or towards the end of games if needing to protect a lead. There is also the added advantage that Pochettino has already managed him so knows whether or not he is the sort of player that integrates well into a squad and knows whether or not he is a player that is prepared to want to train hard and learn.

I'd prefer someone who could kick (a) ball. Wanyama is a little bit too Zokora with the ball
He is absolutely nothing like Zokora.... I am now convinced that you have formed an opinion without actually having bothered to watch Wanyama.

I would pay between 20 and 25 million £ for him in normal circumstances. He is the right age and a proven performer in the PL. The fact that he is about to enter the last year of his contract obviously means he should go for less than that, but I would hope that we simply concentrate on getting the player (providing his wages are not exorbitant) If we paid 15 to 20 million for Wanyama this summer then I would be extremely happy.

You call his passing tinkle poor, but he is at least as good a passer as Dier is. You say he doesn't cover anywhere near as much ground as Dier, I would say that he looks to be positionally better than Dier so doesn't need to. You talk about better options out there and then name Dendoncker?.... I cannot understand how you can criticise Wanyama's passing and then advocate Dendoncker - who is a much poorer passer of the ball.

You also name Vestergaard, who is primarily a central defender, distribution isn't his strongest point and he isn't mobile at all (and I know you have questioned Wanyama's mobility before).

I know you you don't rate Wanyama as a player, but it seems to me that you seem to rate/write off players based on something other than actually watching them. Your two suggestions as better alternatives to Wanyama illustrate this, as neither of them possess the qualities that you state as being deficiencies in Wanyama's game and your reason for not wanting him.

My own thoughts are that Wanyama is the exact sort of player that we need to bring into our squad (and perhaps not just the "exact sort of player" but the "exact player". Personally I think it is reasonably likely that he could come in and replace Dier as opposed to covering him. I think he is at least as good as Dier in that holding midfield role. He would give us cover/competition, but also provide us with an option to play more defensively by pairing him with Dier, either from the start if looking to play on the break or towards the end of games if needing to protect a lead. There is also the added advantage that Pochettino has already managed him so knows whether or not he is the sort of player that integrates well into a squad and knows whether or not he is a player that is prepared to want to train hard and learn.

He is absolutely nothing like Zokora.... I am now convinced that you have formed an opinion without actually having bothered to watch Wanyama.
Just on the pont of protecting a lead, it is something we are bad at or have been this season past anyway. You would have to think a trio of Dier/Dembele/Wanyama on the park at the same time would be as solid as you could get for seeing out a tight game.

A yes for me on Wanyama but not for 25mil considering his contract situation.

Just on the pont of protecting a lead, it is something we are bad at or have been this season past anyway. You would have to think a trio of Dier/Dembele/Wanyama on the park at the same time would be as solid as you could get for seeing out a tight game.

A yes for me on Wanyama but not for 25mil considering his contract situation.
Ignore the contract situation..... The only question that we should be asking is "which players that we can afford and attract would improve our team/squad?" If "Wanyama" is an answer to that question then we should try to get him. Of course should he be looking for huge wages due to the possiblity of hanging around for 6 months at Southampton and then signing a pre contract deal for a bosman transfer to a club outside of England then it changes things and the size of any transfer fee offer we make would have to reflect the wage demand, but looking at Wanyama's age and proven ability in the PL, he is a realistically a 20 to 25 million £ player.

Ignore the contract situation..... The only question that we should be asking is "which players that we can afford and attract would improve our team/squad?" If "Wanyama" is an answer to that question then we should try to get him. Of course should he be looking for huge wages due to the possibility of hanging around for 6 months at Southampton and then signing a pre contract deal for a bosman transfer to a club outside of England then it changes things and the size of any transfer fee offer we make would have to reflect the wage demand, but looking at Wanyama's age and proven ability in the PL, he is a realistically a 20 to 25 million £ player.
I get the point that if he fits the bill then we should pay the asking fee, but let's face it that's not the way Levy operates. Levy will see Wanyama's contract situation as tool to leverage the price down. 15-16 mil with some addons would seem more realistic for someone with one year left. Ditto for Berahino if we are still interested.

I'd prefer someone who could kick (a) ball. Wanyama is a little bit too Zokora with the ball
The key thing is that Wanyama is clearly rated by Poch. He bought him to Southampton, based on scouting reports that he fitted the system Poch wanted to play.

Back