• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victimpool FC - Klopp leaving, grown men crying

Fair play to Rodgers for me. I don't think players like Johnson, Lovren, Gerrard or Balotelli were rested. They were quite simply dropped because they had been somewhere between average at best and downright awful.

They did what they could. Were still absolutely played off the park and extremely lucky to just be a goal down at half time, never mind at the 80th minute. But I suppose they put themselves in a position to be lucky by at least at times defending alright and by having a good shot stopper in goal.

Thought Real were disappointing though. Particularly Modric and Ronaldo. What a player Varane is though... Just fantastic!

You could argue Gerrards form is so so and Balotelli is certainly hit and miss, but Gerrard, Lovren and Johnson are starters as are Sterling, Hendersen and Countinho most times. There can be no argument that was weakened team they fielded and Rodgers effectively wrote this match off. The fact that it was only 1-0 does not justify the selection in fact it makes the case for playing a stronger team really. Maybe they would have got a result! If Poch pulled a stunt like that I certainly would not be happy and I doubt you would either. IMO that was an own goal by Rodgers.

I would have no issues with resting a few in a game we have about 0.5 % chance of getting something. But doing it to stay fresh for another game where they're going to get spanked and last week before an international break? Nah

Yeah, if it was Spurs next fair enough, but Chelsea are the one side in European football guaranteed to give them a bigger hiding than Madrid

1415142912866_Image_galleryImage_Liverpool_s_head_coach_Br.JPG

Liverpool proud of a 1-0 defeat. But take into account that Real were treating it like a training match and they never broke a sweat. They were, basically, taking the ****!

You could argue Gerrards form is so so and Balotelli is certainly hit and miss, but Gerrard, Lovren and Johnson are starters as are Sterling, Hendersen and Countinho most times. There can be no argument that was weakened team they fielded and Rodgers effectively wrote this match off. The fact that it was only 1-0 does not justify the selection in fact it makes the case for playing a stronger team really. Maybe they would have got a result! If Poch pulled a stunt like that I certainly would not be happy and I doubt you would either. IMO that was an own goal by Rodgers.

I know Liverpool fans who have been desperate for Gerrard, Lovren and Johnson to be dropped. A fairly solid consensus amongst Liverpool fans (in real life, no idea about forums) was that Lovren was terribad against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and that Johnson hasn't been close to decent for years now. Also a fairly common view that Gerrard is past it, a massive defensive liability and not suited to a game against Real Madrid at all.

Sterling and Henderson probably would start most of the time. With two out and out defensive midfielders it was between Henderson and Allen though, both are pretty close to first choice this season. Coutinho starts most of the time, but a park the bus and counter attack game away to Real was never going to suit him. Sterling is the obvious one, but it has been mentioned in the past that he's very young and playing 3 games in a week might not be the best for him.

I honestly think at least some of those players were dropped for this game by Rodgers because he could get away with it as "rotation" or "playing a weakened side in a game they stood no chance of winning", that Johnson is as good as done at Liverpool, Lovren will have to pick it up real soon not to be dropped in the league even for Toure (never mind Sakho when fit) and that plenty of Liverpool fans will be happy to see Gerrard start on the bench for a few league games sooner rather than later.

I know Liverpool fans who have been desperate for Gerrard, Lovren and Johnson to be dropped. A fairly solid consensus amongst Liverpool fans (in real life, no idea about forums) was that Lovren was terribad against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and that Johnson hasn't been close to decent for years now. Also a fairly common view that Gerrard is past it, a massive defensive liability and not suited to a game against Real Madrid at all.

Sterling and Henderson probably would start most of the time. With two out and out defensive midfielders it was between Henderson and Allen though, both are pretty close to first choice this season. Coutinho starts most of the time, but a park the bus and counter attack game away to Real was never going to suit him. Sterling is the obvious one, but it has been mentioned in the past that he's very young and playing 3 games in a week might not be the best for him.

I honestly think at least some of those players were dropped for this game by Rodgers because he could get away with it as "rotation" or "playing a weakened side in a game they stood no chance of winning", that Johnson is as good as done at Liverpool, Lovren will have to pick it up real soon not to be dropped in the league even for Toure (never mind Sakho when fit) and that plenty of Liverpool fans will be happy to see Gerrard start on the bench for a few league games sooner rather than later.

Do you think Liverpool put out their strongest team or even close to it? Lets compare this team versus the one the put out against Chelsea and see what Rodgers thinks his strongest team is. It's obvious that they were keeping their powder dry for the weekend and pretty much every commentator (both the clever and stupid ones) have said as much.

If you accept that then the argument is whether he was wise to do it or not. I suppose that remains to be seen based on the Chelsea result, but considering the journey they have been on to get back into the CL I was surprised at the lineup.

Last edited:
Do you think Liverpool put out their strongest team or even close to it?

A bit like us I don't think Rogers knows what his strongest team is. Lucas Leiva was one of their best players before his latest injuries. Emre Can is a very talented player, as is Markovic. Early to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if Manquillo is better than Johnson. Toure on form is better than Lovren, but that form is probably long gone. On current form with both of them it's pretty much a coin flip between them. Balotelli has been meh at best, Lambert unimpressive, three sided coin flip between them and Borini. Gerrard looks past it, and for this game wasn't a good choice.

Sterling is the one standout player that was missing from what most would consider their current best 11 I think. So I suppose it wasn't their strongest team. If it was Spurs in the same situation I think I would have been fine with that line-up. A bit more defensive and solid, less flash. Give younger players a chance at a level they haven't been tested at before in a game they were very likely to lose anyway. Drop under performing, expensive, established players whilst resting some for a very important upcoming league match.

Their season could turn with a win against Chelsea.

A bit like us I don't think Rogers knows what his strongest team is. Lucas Leiva was one of their best players before his latest injuries. Emre Can is a very talented player, as is Markovic. Early to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if Manquillo is better than Johnson. Toure on form is better than Lovren, but that form is probably long gone. On current form with both of them it's pretty much a coin flip between them. Balotelli has been meh at best, Lambert unimpressive, three sided coin flip between them and Borini. Gerrard looks past it, and for this game wasn't a good choice.

Sterling is the one standout player that was missing from what most would consider their current best 11 I think. So I suppose it wasn't their strongest team. If it was Spurs in the same situation I think I would have been fine with that line-up. A bit more defensive and solid, less flash. Give younger players a chance at a level they haven't been tested at before in a game they were very likely to lose anyway. Drop under performing, expensive, established players whilst resting some for a very important upcoming league match.

Their season could turn with a win against Chelsea.

I think you are reaching a bit ;) and I'll take that answer as a conditional no, it wasn't their strongest team.

Anyway we'll see how they get on at the weekend. I can't see a victory for them but every dog has it's day.

I think you are reaching a bit ;) and I'll take that answer as a conditional no, it wasn't their strongest team.

Anyway we'll see how they get on at the weekend. I can't see a victory for them but every dog has it's day.

Like us they're definitely in a process, trying to find a functional team. I wouldn't be surprised if several of the players that started against Real and have been considered "backup/rotation" players will end up being much more regular starters by the end of the season and if several of those that have seemed like regular starters so far end up getting much less football in the second half of the season.

For me, there was a zip and a naivety that seemed to say, we'll have a go. But actually we lacked class and finesse in the final third and that's what cost us.

We need to trust players to run into the spaces behind the ball and pass, perhaps more long ball, it works for Madrid, its not just Stoke so why not.

Finally for me it made perfect sense to play the team he did, and its not a case of what if, but *******s.

Last night we saw the sort of pressing and commitment that has been lacking recently. Yes we were up against a superb Real Madrid side, who created a number of chances - Just as they have in every game they have played in the past couple of months - and we rode our luck a bit. But every single player put in a shift. There were no passengers in the side and the team played for each other.

The fact we lost 1-0 and questions are being asked "what if" shows you how well the players that did play performed last night.

Who cares why Rodgers selected that particular line-up. Who cares that we had so few attempts on goal. Fact was for arguably the only time since White Hart Lane we actually looked and played like a proper team, like a Liverpool side from goalie right through to outside left for the entire 90+ minutes and despite the defeat I derived a huge amount of pride and joy watching us perform like a Liverpool side.

As for individual performances, Lucas was not just our best player but the best player on the pitch along with the young Madrid defender who is actually Jocky Hansen in disguise. Special mention, too, for Kolo Toure and Mignolet and also Markovic who finally showed us he might well have something in his locker.

But to be fair they were all terrific. Every last one of them.

Terrific stuff.

Chelsea haven't got a prayer on Satdee.

Terrific.

These people are being deadly serious.

Liverpool getting absolutely hammered in the press and media. Let's not ever believe we are the only ones picked out when things don't go well.

Suarez respecting LIverpool and the support they gave him in his own unique way:

Barcelona striker Luis Suarez: "In Amsterdam, I learned a great deal about football - that's why I am so grateful to Ajax. In Amsterdam I was able to play in the Champions League for the first time in my life.

"It is a dream come true for any South American footballer. Once this goal was achieved, the next milestone was to play for FC Barcelona and now everything seems to work out on track."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/28695580 (19:39)

Suarez on 'The Slip': “If I'd been in Stevie’s shoes I don’t know if I'd have been able to carry on playing. It must've been very hard"

Back