• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

No, certainly not now. Even with previous rules it's probably not. Depends on the proximity to the play, proximity to defenders/GK etc. It would depend on the situation. A player by the sideline while the play is centrally would not be offside unless he received the ball.
IMO that was a better rule than the current one. It wasn't really any difficult to get it right, if you just have an iota of football knowledge.

The point I was trying to make (poorly) was that it's possible to be interfering with play if you don't touch the ball or stand in someones eyeline, now the authorities are trying to quantify which situations are relevant, any rule that can be interpreted in different ways and is unclear to refs, players and spectators is a bad rule irrespective of VAR

need to get rid of that ridiculous "clear and obvious" notion, ref the game with the video

Clear and obvious is fine but then VAR has to judge the incident in the same way the referee viewed it. Not in slow motion and not from a view he didn’t have.
But if VAR is going to review in slow motion and from all angles (which I am not saying is wrong) then you can’t keep the clear and obvious criteria.

It was a joke when they brought it in and if anything it has got even worse. Still never mind some fudger has made money from it.

I think it could/should make things better, but there is no doubt it's got worse.

Its worse then that though, it has also spoiled the fun of celebrating a goal for the crowd until some dingdonghead in the VAR box makes a decision. Its taken away that immediate madness part of the game for me and for many match going fans.

Its worse then that though, it has also spoiled the fun of celebrating a goal for the crowd until some dingdonghead in the VAR box makes a decision. Its taken away that immediate madness part of the game for me and for many match going fans.
It changed the sporting jeopardy. But that isn't VAR specific, that been coming for a couple of decades as the takes have got higher and higher. But also through societal change - fans were happy to be up in arms abuse officials when things were called incorrectly. The inevitable end game from that is forensic officiating. And that's where we are.
You either have to accept mistakes as part of a sporting contest or accept the VAR type solution.

Personally I was always in favour. And still am on the basis that we now have near perfect accuracy*. That said, I agree entirely with your point about atmosphere. I'd like to a repositioning - goal line tech for goals and a 5th official watching and using VAR to alert the ref to anything obvious they miss. That has to be a judgment call of course, rather than forensic. But something like an obvious offside when viewed in real time, an off the ball incident, something significant that the ref couldn't see because his field of view was Blocked.
Alternatively, the rugby approach - let the ref approach VAR to get clarification on something they couldn't quite see - but that takes the kind of maturity that football lacks.

No it hasn't. Crowd still celebrate goals like mad. Nothing has changed in thst respect. Occasionally you even get to celebrate a goal TWICE!

Of course it has. imo
Not seen that at all, unless it's obviously offside, but that was also the case before. Also, if people don't celebrate a goal because they don't want to celebrate in case it's disallowed, then they're macarons.
Was the crowd holding back when we scored the winner on Saturday?
Bloody hell they weren't!

Not seen that at all, unless it's obviously offside, but that was also the case before. Also, if people don't celebrate a goal because they don't want to celebrate in case it's disallowed, then they're macarons.
Was the crowd holding back when we scored the winner on Saturday?
Bloody hell they weren't!

Well it all about opinions we will have to agree to disagree.

Back