• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

They have to tweak VAR rules. These ‘offside by a toenail’ decisions are ludicrous.

I thought they did? or was it just that they made the lines a tiny bit fatter?

If the Lino doesn't flag then it needs to be clear and obvious, if the lines are touching, it's not clear or obvious and goals should stand. Would make it better IMO but people will still moan. If the Lino flags and the toenail is offside then... well played Lino good guess!

They also need to get better cameras and setup to properly judge when the ball was actually kicked, the Richi goal ruled out against Forest was a total joke, the still they used had the ball about 10 yards off Skipp's boot.

I thought they did? or was it just that they made the lines a tiny bit fatter?

If the Lino doesn't flag then it needs to be clear and obvious, if the lines are touching, it's not clear or obvious and goals should stand. Would make it better IMO but people will still moan. If the Lino flags and the toenail is offside then... well played Lino good guess!

They also need to get better cameras and setup to properly judge when the ball was actually kicked, the Richi goal ruled out against Forest was a total joke, the still they used had the ball about 10 yards off Skipp's boot.
It's the absurdity of using microscopy for offsides but allowing throw-ins to be taken 20-30 yards further on from where the ball went out of play that gets me. Not that I'm advocating making a fuss about throw-ins, mind. Rather that the VAR be allowed to apply common sense when judging offsides.

The lino only gets a fleeting second to judge an offside, so why is the VAR allowed 3, 4, even 5 minutes to make his mind up? If it's not clear and obvious to him after, say, 60 seconds then let the fudging goal stand and put us all out of our misery for heaven's sake.

It's the absurdity of using microscopy for offsides but allowing throw-ins to be taken 20-30 yards further on from where the ball went out of play that gets me. Not that I'm advocating making a fuss about throw-ins, mind. Rather that the VAR be allowed to apply common sense when judging offsides.

The lino only gets a fleeting second to judge an offside, so why is the VAR allowed 3, 4, even 5 minutes to make his mind up? If it's not clear and obvious to him after, say, 60 seconds then let the fudging goal stand and put us all out of our misery for heaven's sake.

common sense = inconsistency

That's not making it any better imo. Taking it a bit too far
I would prefer that if both feet are onside it's OK.

Yeh just some common sense needed. The striker in general is going to be heading in the different direction at times to the defender, if his feet are behind the defender but his momentum means his body is leaning towards to goal, to call it offside is ridiculous IMO

Just make the toes the parts that count and put sensors on them.

Nobody questions goals just over the line any more - take the decision making away and there's nothing to argue about.
This makes sound sense so long as we're not talking fingernails. Imagine being given offside because your boot is one milimetre ahead of the defender's :eek::D. So maybe allow a tolerance of say 5cm (two inches). I wouldn't argue with that. Also the technology needs to be precise about when exactly the ball cleared the boot of the player passing it.

Back