• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

There are quite a number of quality players out there who wouldn't cost 150k/week or plunge us into insolvency.

In addition - 3 squad players would cost more in wages than 1 marquee signing (of our calibre)

and i think it could be argued that those 3 squad players would have had a better influence on our league standing this season than 1 marquee signing

Exactly, these are the Stoke, Everton etc type of players. How many of them would make it into the Chelsea side that will finish 6th ? None, so why are they good enough for a side that may finish 4th and 2 places above them.

We have Defoe and Saha as 2 of our 3 strikers. Chelsea have Torres and Drogba to choose from, a little bit of a difference really. If we didn't have brick like Defoe, Saha, Crouch, Pavlyuchenko over the past few years, we wouldn't be linked to players like Odemwingie, Yakubu etc.

Plus, I actually think Sigurdsson would quite easily challenge for a place in Chelsea's team most definitely. He's the new Lampard and he's definitely better than Meireles.

I have no idea why people make a case for player x not being good enough for us becuase they wouldn't get into Man U/Chelsea/World's Best ever XI. It's what improves our team/squad and fits into OUR system that matters....

and i think it could be argued that those 3 squad players would have had a better influence on our league standing this season than 1 marquee signing

Billy we arguably had those players -

- Steven Pienaar (underutilised and played out of position / formation) - not given a chance
- Bassong - not given a chance
- Giovanni Dos Santos - (looked decent in his last loan spell. Looked good in earlier EL/CC games) - not given a chance
- Sandro - cover for Parker (or vice-versa) - featured well

We then brought in 2 'squad players'

- Louis Saha - limited impact during the dry patch we neeeded goals
- Nelsen - very little impact - behind Gallas

6 players most likely on around 30-40k/week (average) - around 200k/ week in wages

Now imagine out of those wages we had

- Fernando Llorente or similar

or

- Top class CB / ACM

Last edited:
for me this summer we need to work more on the squad than directly for the first team - assuming we can keep the players here then we need a striker (hopefully Adebayor will be signed) and a CB to partner Kaboul - other than that i can see us only going for solid back up options or players with potential

I dont agree with that. We need 2 top class center backs, 2 strikers.

I have no idea why people make a case for player x not being good enough for us becuase they wouldn't get into Man U/Chelsea/World's Best ever XI. It's what improves our team/squad and fits into OUR system that matters....

this.

Friedel, Ekotto, Kaboul (arguable), Gallas, Lennon, Adebayor etc. wouldn't get into Man Utd's team, Emirates Marketing Project's team and at a stretch Chelsea's team, but they are good enough for us and our system so who cares if we sign players who wouldn't get into theirs..

I've got no idea what tha means but most imporantly - you appear to have missed the point. Buying sqyad players based on 3 games of form is not the right way to go, imv

Mode of operation ;) no, I agree with you, signing players based on 3 games of form is no where near right and I'm glad we don't make signings based on that. But I don't necessarily agree with signing players ONLY to better our first team.

We have Defoe and Saha as 2 of our 3 strikers. Chelsea have Torres and Drogba to choose from, a little bit of a difference really. If we didn't have brick like Defoe, Saha, Crouch, Pavlyuchenko over the past few years, we wouldn't be linked to players like Odemwingie, Yakubu etc.

Plus, I actually think Sigurdsson would quite easily challenge for a place in Chelsea's team most definitely. He's the new Lampard and he's definitely better than Meireles.

Sorry mumorn but thats just a pile of jobby.

Sorry mumorn but thats just a pile of jobby.

Harry has a history of signing Prem proven players. Of course we are going to be linked with flavour of the month players, we are LINKED with almost every Premier League player not playing in the top 7 teams.

The Sigurdsson thing is a matter of opinion.

I've got no idea what tha means but most imporantly - you appear to have missed the point. Buying sqyad players based on 3 games of form is not the right way to go, imv

This.

And we have enough squad players anyway, we have about 8 Central defenders, all we need is 3 top center backs, keep kaboul, get two top center backs and keep Caulker as back up. Now we can challenge.

Gallas, Khumalo (sad I know), Bassong --> Out.
Caulker, Vertonghen --> In.

Leaving our centre half options at Kaboul, King, Dawson, Caulker, Vertonghen. No problem with that at all. Perhaps even send Caulker back out on loan with an option to recall if injury strikes. Kaboul and Vertonghen will most likely be our centre half partnership if we do sign the Belgian. That is good business.

Billy we arguably had those players -

- Steven Pienaar (underutilised and played out of position / formation) - not given a chance
- Bassong - not given a chance
- Giovanni Dos Santos - (looked decent in his last loan spell. Looked good in erlier EL/CC games) - not given a chance
- Sandro - cover for Parker (or vice-versa) - featured well

We then brought in 2 'squad players'

- Luois Saha - limited impact during the dry patch we neeeded goals
- Nelsen - very little impact - behind Gallas

it's no use having the players and not using them OR letting them go out on loan - which is a point which comes down to management issues i guess but obviously HR didn't have faith in the back up players so persisted with the same players - had he had more faith in the reserves (or kept hold of the likes of Pienaar & Corluka) then we might have seen more rotation and maybe even less of a slump

for what it's worth IMO - Nelsen > Bassong and Saha > Pav
however, Pienaar > Nobody and Corluka > Nobody

Leaving our centre half options at Kaboul, King, Dawson, Caulker, Vertonghen. No problem with that at all. Perhaps even send Caulker back out on loan with an option to recall if injury strikes. Kaboul and Vertonghen will most likely be our centre half partnership if we do sign the Belgian. That is good business.

Thats alright i suppose.

To be fair I'd probably put Caulker ahead of King, next season he should be starting his development with us IMO. Maybe even ahead of Dawson too, not sure if he will have more than another season with us if we sign Vertonghen....

What about Kerim Frei from Fulham? Young, quick, good technical skill, plays either wing, can also play the VDV position.

Why's nobody brought him up yet?

Back