• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Since when? Havent heard a single substantive quote at all.

Plenty of people just writing off the deal due to his unreasonable demands (since when?)

None at all picking up on stories such as in Jan where were allegedly negotiating City down on the fee so we could give Ade a lump sum up front to subsidise his wage.

Seems reasonable to me.

I dont know if we will sign him or not, but I do believe it is entirely possible and to write it off at this point is somewhat hasty.

If anything I imagine it will go down to what interest there is in him. If all the big guns arent breaking down his door I could imagine him very happy to stay

This. How many clubs are there out there who would pay him more than ?ú100k a week?

This. How many clubs are there out there who would pay him more than ?ú100k a week?

To be fair, there are a lot on the continent who would pay that to one or two players (not forgetting the tax element in the UK). We're a credit to ourselves, but it does make things a little difficult. I think FFP may actually help us out in this respect. Sure, Emirates Marketing Project will probably find a way around it, but there smaller clubs sailing too close to the wind will be affected pretty heavily I reckon and that should see us in a better position.

Personally I'd rather keep Ade. Dzeko might be a decent goalscorer but don't think he offers alot else, just a fancy Darren Bent. Since the Togo incident Ade has changed. Money doesn't motivate him like it use to and he needs to be somewhere where he is loved. he seems to have a good relationship with the Spurs players and the fans have become fond of him because of his work rate and what he has given this year.
He isn't the lazy money grabber of before and I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a wage cut and stay.

Read my post above mate. He caused a stink at Arsenal because they wouldn't put him on ?ú100k. Obviously he has grown up a lot since then and there is the potential for signing on bonuses etc. But my own gut feel is we won't be able to bridge the gap.

Give him a chance mate! He wanted parity at Arsenal, not extorsion. City offered stupid money nobody would refuse.

I think its quite possible he would simply go to the highest bidder.
I think its quite possible we can do a deal where he fits our structure with a golden handshake.

How about waiting to see before judging!?

I fully appreciate its a vibe you have, but so many are stating it as fact when it is nothing of the sort...

Give him a chance mate! He wanted parity at Arsenal, not extorsion. City offered stupid money nobody would refuse.

I think its quite possible he would simply go to the highest bidder.
I think its quite possible we can do a deal where he fits our structure with a golden handshake.

How about waiting to see before judging!?

I fully appreciate its a vibe you have, but so many are stating it as fact when it is nothing of the sort...

He wanted Parity with Henry... Which was ridiculous. Anyway, I'm not judging, I'm saying I think it's highly likely he won't extend, I haven't written anything off and by the evidence in front of us, he won't go below ?ú100k. If he signs on, I personally believe it will be becuase of a massive signing on fee to balance things out.

He wanted Parity with Henry... Which was ridiculous. Anyway, I'm not judging, I'm saying I think it's highly likely he won't extend, I haven't written anything off and by the evidence in front of us, he won't go below ?ú100k. If he signs on, I personally believe it will be becuase of a massive signing on fee to balance things out.

he was there for 2 seasons after Henry left

It's more accurate to look at goals per Premier League minute than goals per 'game' IMO. In which case: (actually, this is minutes per goal)

Dzeko: 111
Yakubu: 135
Holt: 148
Adebayor:180
Dempsey: 214
Graham: 230

So Dzeko clearly has the best strike rate of the players that you mentioned. Of course stats don't tell the whole picture, but judging by this season alone I think it's fair to argue that Dzeko is a better goalscorer than Adebayor.

HOWEVER Adebayor has got an assist every 196 minutes, compared to 242 for Dzeko, both of which are infinitely better than any of the other aforementioned players.

(Figures are from the PL Fantasy Football website)

I agree, if you read back a couple of pages I asked for mins/goals, no-one answered so I just kept on the goals/games route.

Dzeko clearly from what you have shown has a better mins/goals ratio, and you are right stats dont tell you everything as Ade's assists for example more than make up for that.

Now the last bit you said about being better, we sold Bent for only scoring goals. Pav's goal scoring per mins on pitch was high too If I remember rightly.

Every single time I see Dzeko I see him playing brick, he's a fluffer, lazy, slow as treacle, when he scores it kinda looks like he hasnt meant it half the time. He's also a money grabbing prick who wanted to be part of the project at bricky. His goals this season have came in about 5 games or so, 4 against us, and a little clump of 2 or 3 in other games. Defoe got slated for that not long ago.

If Dzeko signed for us, he would be crucified here.

Unfair on his engine. Dzeko has proven to be 10 times the team player that Pav was. Not many strikers will show the work rate of Adebayor... Adebayor never used to have the work rate of Adebayor either. He was one of the laziest fudging footballers I have ever seen at Aresenal at times.

The guy really has had a life changing moment with the Togo bus incident. Credit to him, I think that Ade is a completely different character to the one that played down the road and I'd happily keep him here, I just don't think it'll be possible. Remember, when he left the scum it was because they wouldn't put him on ?ú100k and that was a good few years ago now... Can we pay ?ú100k? How many other players would we have to increase wages for in that case? He might take a drop, but not below the magic ?ú100k barrier I don't think.

I think it'll be interesting seeing what happens next for a lot of Emirates Marketing Project players, where next salary is concerned, not just Ade and Dzeko.

As for our game being based around pace, I don't really agree to be honest. When you look at a lot of our succesful couter attacks, the guys on the end of the ball were actually often Crouch and Pav... two of our slowest players. Just because we monopolise on Bale and Lennon's speed and our ability to shift the ball around at pace, it doesn't necessarily mean that we need a lightning quick striker. In actual fact, Ade gets caught in possession breaking to goal an awful, awful lot and is often beaten in a foot race to the ball. I don't see his pace as being one of his main assets at all actually.

Wookie, your a Spurs fan.... you remember the classic Cliff Jones quote ?

Put Ade on ?ú100k. If Anyone walks in and says 'Harry I think I'm worth ?ú100k too' - Harry 'Well I fudging don't' slam door.

That's all it takes. Man the fudge up to these money grabbing pricks, if they show it they are worth it, they get it, not just because someone else is on it.

Put Ade on ?ú100k. If Anyone walks in and says 'Harry I think I'm worth ?ú100k too' - Harry 'Well I fudging don't' slam door.

That's all it takes. Man the fudge up to these money grabbing pricks, if they show it they are worth it, they get it, not just because someone else is on it.

This one comes up periodically. Apparently its a cast iron guarantee that if you pay someone higher than the rest they will all be banging down the door for payrises and we either lose them all or the club implodes financially.

Everytime it comes up I ask for an example, surely people getting paid more than others is a common occurence?

Yet none is ever supplied.

Its paranoia IMO.

This one comes up periodically. Apparently its a cast iron guarantee that if you pay someone higher than the rest they will all be banging down the door for payrises and we either lose them all or the club implodes financially.

Everytime it comes up I ask for an example, surely people getting paid more than others is a common occurence?

Yet none is ever supplied.

Its paranoia IMO.

What is does is set a precedent. People aren't going to be banging the door down for a pay rise... They wait until the next time we ask them to extend (or rather, the agent does). I'm not saying that everyone wants ?ú100k and total parity. BUT, they do want more than they previously would have asked for. It's a subtle shift but one that considerably eats into the money available for transfers.

Every time you raise the bar, it raises everybodies expectation a little too.

To be perfectly honest mate, I barely remember quotes from players playing during my lifetime. I couldn't give you a single Billy Nic or Double Winners quote on demand, straight up.

I agree, if you read back a couple of pages I asked for mins/goals, no-one answered so I just kept on the goals/games route.

Dzeko clearly from what you have shown has a better mins/goals ratio, and you are right stats dont tell you everything as Ade's assists for example more than make up for that.

Now the last bit you said about being better, we sold Bent for only scoring goals. Pav's goal scoring per mins on pitch was high too If I remember rightly.

Every single time I see Dzeko I see him playing brick, he's a fluffer, lazy, slow as treacle, when he scores it kinda looks like he hasnt meant it half the time. He's also a money grabbing prick who wanted to be part of the project at bricky. His goals this season have came in about 5 games or so, 4 against us, and a little clump of 2 or 3 in other games. Defoe got slated for that not long ago.

If Dzeko signed for us, he would be crucified here.

I don't disagree with you; I prefer Adebayor to Dzeko in every way, including his face. With Bale and VDV likely to get a good number of goals, Adebayor not being clinical is not as disastrous as it would probably otherwise be. Obviously in an ideal world we could get a striker whose all-round play is as good as Ade's but with a better goalscoring ability, but those players are hard to come by. Given the choice of goals vs all-round play, I choose all-round play (i.e. Ade).

What is does is set a precedent. People aren't going to be banging the door down for a pay rise... They wait until the next time we ask them to extend (or rather, the agent does). I'm not saying that everyone wants ?ú100k and total parity. BUT, they do want more than they previously would have asked for. It's a subtle shift but one that considerably eats into the money available for transfers.

Every time you raise the bar, it raises everybodies expectation a little too.

Isnt that the case regardless?

Ultimately its a negotiation, no matter what the top level of wage is, and both sides agree what is believed to be fair or they part ways.

Same as it ever was.

Isnt that the case regardless?

Ultimately its a negotiation, no matter what the top level of wage is, and both sides agree what is believed to be fair or they part ways.

Same as it ever was.

Not really mate. It is one of the cleverest things about our wage structure (if you choose to view it as clever). That every player at the club knows it is a slightly bricky deal, but it effects everybody. So, of course, we'll look at wage increases, but really, they are piece meal compared to what the player might ask for at another club.

If you suddenly blow the doors open by offering a single player something like 30% more than every other single player at the club, unless that bloke is named Ronaldo or Messi, you immediately upset everybody.

It starts with your best players, Bale, Modric, VdV... they all want more. Maybe Bale and Modric get put on 90K, where they would have taken 80k before. But Rafa is one of the most senior players at the club and you have to keep him in line. Maybe you luck out and get him onto 80k. They aren't really the problem as you'd be bringing their wages up anyway.

But where does that leave the rest of the squad? Say, Kaboul, now an integral part of the team, decides that he wants to sign on. Where as he may have taken ?ú35k before, his agent tells him he's got to be worth HALF the value of Adebayor, he should be on 50k... Walker is getting noticed by clubs and wants more money... He'll be asking for a lot more if our top earners are now earning not twice as much as him, but THREE times as much as him.

And all this is before trying to bring in new players. How do you explain to them that Adebayor is only being paid good money because we got him cheap... Not a good bargaining tactic for a potential strike partner that considers themselves every bit as good as Adebayor. It is difficult to say you cannot afford good money when you are already paying it.

Honestly mate, the ramifications are actually HUGE by creating such a gap, as it is human nature (not to mention parasite agent nature) to want to bridge that gap as much as possible. It doesn't happen overnight, but it doesn't have to. Within a couple of years, we go from being one of the best financially run football clubs in the country to scratching our heads at why we REALLY can't afford to buy any new players.

What was that stat mentioned in the MOTD highlights commentary v Swansea Sunday night?

Something about Adebayor having the most combined goals and assists or something along those lines.....

Ade was the first player in the top 5 european leagues to reach double figures in both goals and assist this season.

EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR admits he’ll only be satisfied if Spurs can seal a Champions League place and win the FA Cup.

The on-loan striker bagged two late goals in Tottenham’s crucial Premier League win over Swansea on Sunday.

And that win moved them level on points with third-placed North London rivals Arsenal and back on track for a top-four finish.

Adebayor says one of the reasons he moved to Tottenham was to help his adopted club land a place in Europe’s elite competition once again.

And with an FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea next weekend, the Togolese is also targeting his first ever cup winners’ medal in what might be his only season at the Lane.

Adebayor said: “For me my target before coming to join Tottenham was to get in to the top four and we are in a good position to do that now.

“We are in the FA Cup semi-final as well. We just have to give it a go, try to give everything and finish in the top four, and why not win the FA Cup as well?

“When Swansea pulled it back to 1-1 it was quite difficult, but in the head we have a good squad, we have belief.

“We knew in our heads that we could change it around. We showed character and personality by winning right at the end.

“Now we have closed the gap on Arsenal and have maintained a gap over Chelsea and Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

“It was very important for everyone, for the players and the fans, and hopefully now we will go on a good run until the end of the season.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4237137/Tottenham-striker-Emmanuel-Adebayor-wants-to-end-season-with-a-bang.html

And with an FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea next weekend, the Togolese is also targeting his first ever cup winners’ medal in what might be his only season at the Lane.

If wikipedia is anything to go by, the only team trophy Ade has ever won is the spanish cup with Real Madrid

Honestly mate, the ramifications are actually HUGE by creating such a gap, as it is human nature (not to mention parasite agent nature) to want to bridge that gap as much as possible. It doesn't happen overnight, but it doesn't have to. Within a couple of years, we go from being one of the best financially run football clubs in the country to scratching our heads at why we REALLY can't afford to buy any new players.

Sorry fella, I see what you are saying but I just dont buy that it is such an issue.

There will always be the haves and have nots (relatively!). There will always been senior pros and players with something to prove. Our wage bill may increase over all, personally I think its inevitable anyway, but with Levy at the helm it will never get out of hand and will always be relative to our earnings.

I think its scaremongering to see it as such a big issue. If we want to succeed we need better players, if we want better players we pay more, Im comfortable Levy will keep this in check. Im also comfortable that there wont be some sort of revolt if it happens.

Sorry fella, I see what you are saying but I just dont buy that it is such an issue.

There will always be the haves and have nots (relatively!). There will always been senior pros and players with something to prove. Our wage bill may increase over all, personally I think its inevitable anyway, but with Levy at the helm it will never get out of hand and will always be relative to our earnings.

I think its scaremongering to see it as such a big issue. If we want to succeed we need better players, if we want better players we pay more, Im comfortable Levy will keep this in check. Im also comfortable that there wont be some sort of revolt if it happens.
Mate, I actually think we need to shift the wage structure up a bracket. But you're being naive if you think that you can break into that sort of bracket and not have ramifications across the board. It will change THFC's position in every negotiation forever after. Agents will ensure that.

Back