• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

VDV hopes for Adebayor stay

Dutchman pleads with club to sign loan star

By Pete O'Rourke - Follow me: @skysportspeteo. Last Updated: April 2, 2012 1:51pm

Adebayor, who scored twice in Sunday's 3-1 win over Swansea, is currently on a season-long loan switch from Emirates Marketing Project.

It has been suggested Tottenham's chances of signing Adebayor on a permanent basis could be scuppered by the player's wages.

However, Van der Vaart hopes the former Arsenal man will stay at Spurs and rates the Togo international as one of the best strikers he has played with.

"He is a great player for us, works his socks off and we love him here," Van der Vaart told the London Evening Standard.

"He played for Real Madrid, Arsenal and City and I was surprised he came but I hope he stays.

Top striker

"He is a top striker, one of the best I've played with. I played with Ruud van Nistelrooy, (with Real Madrid and Holland) he was fantastic.

"Normally strikers wait for their chances and score but he [Adebayor] is working and even when he doesn't score he is still important for the team and that's what makes him a big man for us.

"Last season I had a good understanding with [Peter] Crouch but with him it's even better. He is tall, strong and also is not selfish."

Van der Vaart joked he is so keen to see Adebayor stay that he would sacrifice some of his own salary to keep the African at the club

"I think he doesn't need it but I will ask him," added van der Vaart.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7646409/VDV-hopes-for-Adebayor-stay

fudging legend

Last edited:
They're overachieving massively and playing with zero pressure whatsover.

Sophistication? Sorry fella but Blackburn have scored 8 more goals than them this season. Norwich City - 7. Sunderland - 7. WBA (massive cloggers) have also managed to score more than the mighty Swansea.

Hull had scored the exact same amount of goals at this stage in their debut season. Had also beaten Tottenham and Arsenal away

As already mentioned - many managers have kept newly promoted teams up in their debut season but it would only be fair to see how they do in their second stint, havng been found out by most teams and set out on the field to match that.

Comparing Brown's Hull to Rodgers' Swansea is just lazy. The similarities between them are merely circumstantial. In reality, they are very different.

Swansea are a far superior team. They have a practiced, repeatable pattern of play. They are dominating games against top Premier League teams. Hull never had or did any of that. They got by on sheer enthusiasm and the unknown / underestimated factor - until they were found out halfway through the season and barely got another point in the remaining months. Swansea, by contrast, have got stronger as the season has gone on. A very good sign.

It was as clear as day that Brown's Hull were a first half of season flash in the pan. The same cannot be said for Swansea.

As to the number of goals scored, Swansea have spent next to nothing (far less than the likes of Blackburn, Sunderland, West Brom and even Norwich). They have Championship strikers. Transfer their pattern of play to a team containing top level players and there would be hatfuls of goals.

There's more to football than playing nice stuff, yes Swansea passed it well yesterday but their defending was shocking.
When did Adebayor last score a goal from a header?

This love in for Swansea is a joke and motd tried desperately to imply that we had to change our way of playing to cope with Swansea's wonderful style. There was only one team looking like they would score in that 1st half and it wasn't them.

For me we returned to the way we were playing at the start of the season when we just kept winning.
Long may it continue.

Err........we DID change our style to counter Swansea's passing game - to our detriment, IMO. Harry deployed two destroyers in midfield to break up their play. And that meant that we had far less width than usual and far less by way of forward runs off the ball. We lacked fluency but because we have a better level of player, we were still the more threatening team.

I think the current media love-in for Swansea is to be fair a bit OTT but can't deny he has done something extra there, like turning Leon Britton into Europe's most successful passer, even higher completion rate than Xavi! Arguably he also has "worse" players than Holloway or Brown did, but has made them better through pure coaching.

Exactly this.

He had 2 shots in the whole game. Did absolutely nothing else. I think we sold Bent for only scoring and he is a million times better than him.

He will be a top signing this summer for someone though, Swansea, Wolves, Blackburn, Bolton et al.

you are just hell bent on being biased against anything good Swansea, Rodgers, Sigurdsson etc do. Interesting indeed

Throwing his hat in the ring for the Spurs job?
No experience at club level management is a big worry, probably too big to make me want to give him the job. Having said that, I've always thought he comes across as a very intelligent manager with some good tactical ideas, and he seems to get the best out of his players. He knows the English game having played here too.

I expect big things of him.

Yes, could well be. I found this bit of his quote the most interesting -

Bilic has held talks with Modric to remind him that there is no need to seek a fresh challenge as a number of great players over the years have had successful careers without leaving Tottenham.
"I have spoken with Luka and I will respect whatever he decides to do," Bilic said in The Sun after watching Modric in action against Swansea on Sunday.

Reads almost as though he is his Club Manager, or future Club Manager, rather than his National Team Boss

Am I reading you right in that you are thinking he actually said "Stay there Luca as I might be the next Spurs manager and would like you to play for me." or words to that effect.

Could be I suppose, but there's encouragement and then there's interference and I think this comment has crossed the line even though it might benefit Spurs. Obviously I don't mind he said this but imagine if he had said the opposite and told Luca to leave for the betterment of his career. There would be wigs on the green. Yes wigs everywhere on some green thing I tell ya!! (whatever that means)

It looks like Balotelli will be sold in the summer.
Who here would take him? or is he not worth the trouble?

I really dislike players that do not smile, i pay good money to watch football and would kill to be a footballer, a bit to old now for that. But i want to see people that enjoy their job.

He'd be sold because he's too much trouble. The guy is mental and his behaviour is really pathetic sometimes.

It looks like Balotelli will be sold in the summer.
Who here would take him? or is he not worth the trouble?
It's a tough one. I'd rather take him over Tevez, as he's actually honored his contract and put in the graft on the field. I think I'd take him, provided that he was on reasonable wages. One thing is for certain - he would have to be our first choice striker for what is a massive gamble.

Am I reading you right in that you are thinking he actually said "Stay there Luca as I might be the next Spurs manager and would like you to play for me." or words to that effect.

Could be I suppose, but there's encouragement and then there's interference and I think this comment has crossed the line even though it might benefit Spurs. Obviously I don't mind he said this but imagine if he had said the opposite and told Luca to leave for the betterment of his career. There would be wigs on the green. Yes wigs everywhere on some green thing I tell ya!! (whatever that means)

Its hard to tell when you just see it written down. You can nterpret things in different ways.

And there certainly was 'ructions' when Trappatoni advised Keane that maybe a move away from Spurs would be better for him

Back