• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer fred.

We’re not in CL
We aren’t owned by a country
Our fans can be very toxic
That hinders us slightly
We are based in London
We play in the prem
We pay very very good wages
That can help us

Spot on and the big club part mentioned about matching wages I like to know who we are compared to. Madrid and Uniteds who are historically huge or City and Chelsea who are nouveau cash.

Really? I'd take £20m for him, particularly if Ange isn't intending to use him much.

We have 8 senior CMs and only need 6. Assume Ndombele is one which leaves...need to get rid of one other.

Better to take teh cash and reinvest in CBs!

Oh I agree with all that. Take what you can and reinvest if he's not wanted etc. Just thought 20 was a bit low when compared to recent CM prices

A.Madrid apparently only offered 20m for Hojbjerg... Got to be worth double that right?
I think the offer is less than 20m euros
But… that shows how depressed the European market is
These teams are skint
But I also think they see us not being in Europe and think they can exploit us

If fans were an issue, some clubs would have a hard time fielding XI players. I think @Bishop's argument is probably valid, too. We wouldn't pay top wages but once you reach a certain level, you can't afford to rely on 'potential' players any longer. You need established players, even older ones, if you want to get to the next level and that's something we completely failed to provide our managers. When's the last time we signed someone who improved upon our existing XI? Arguably, Romero, Betancur and before that... ? Son an Alderwereild in 2015, I'd say. that's a long time ago, almost an eternity in football terms.

Disagree. Your club has established players, you buy potential. They then take over from the established players. It is a sustainable model and how we grew. Bring in established players that are a bargain, due to club being in trouble (relegation/financial) or their contract is up soon. But make sure that player is going to improve the squad now or in the next couple of years.

Walker, bale, modric were not established players.

Where's the rush? We've known since at the least last season that we need new blood in the centre back area. At a minimum we should be able to get a CB in ready for the first game of the season.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk
A manager was a good starting point.
Look around at the market, there aren't lots of players moving. Getting deals done is hard, especially when it's the other clubs first team player - there is a chain reaction as well as a fierce negotiation with numerous parties, in an environment where every £1m counts.
It's not Tesco.

Disagree. Your club has established players, you buy potential. They then take over from the established players. It is a sustainable model and how we grew. Bring in established players that are a bargain, due to club being in trouble (relegation/financial) or their contract is up soon. But make sure that player is going to improve the squad now or in the next couple of years.

Walker, bale, modric were not established players.

That's the model that got us there but it's not sustainable at the highest level. If you look at the teams who reach the latter rounds of the Champions League, they take the odd gamble but, mostly, they sign players who are proven at the highest level. Coming from Split, I know the theory: you train quality players, sell them for a lot of money and train even more quality players. Unfortunately, it doesn't work, for various reasons. There's a glass ceiling and you can't reach the top with that model. Potential is an improvement on training players but you need an elite scouting network (one you won't be able to keep for long) if you want your gambles to pay off. Fact is, for eight long years, none of ours did. Of course, it's easy to say in hindsight but it's not about pointing the finger here, just giving my opinion.

It goes without saying that none of the players you mentioned were established when we signed them but they didn't get us a single trophy either. At some point, you need players with a winner's mindset. I believe the club tried to work around that by appointing managers with that mentality but our players were already set in their ways by then. Of course, I could be wrong but I strongly feel that we failed to capitalise on what was an amazing achievement and went about it the wrong way but, again, that's just my two pence.

That's the model that got us there but it's not sustainable at the highest level. If you look at the teams who reach the latter rounds of the Champions League, they take the odd gamble but, mostly, they sign players who are proven at the highest level. Coming from Split, I know the theory: you train quality players, sell them for a lot of money and train even more quality players. Unfortunately, it doesn't work, for various reasons. There's a glass ceiling and you can't reach the top with that model. Potential is an improvement on training players but you need an elite scouting network (one you won't be able to keep for long) if you want your gambles to pay off. Fact is, for eight long years, none of ours did. Of course, it's easy to say in hindsight but it's not about pointing the finger here, just giving my opinion.

It goes without saying that none of the players you mentioned were established when we signed them but they didn't get us a single trophy either. At some point, you need players with a winner's mindset. I believe the club tried to work around that by appointing managers with that mentality but our players were already set in their ways by then. Of course, I could be wrong but I strongly feel that we failed to capitalise on what was an amazing achievement and went about it the wrong way but, again, that's just my two pence.

Did salah, mane or de bruyne have a winners mindset before they joined liverpool or city? Haaland? Modric, bale or walker before they went on to win trophies?

I share the concern about getting players in and having time to bed them in but why do you not rate Ange as an EPL coach? Is it his style of football?

I have nothing agaisnt the guy but he doesn't inspire confidence simply due to a lack of experience at a higher level. I mean you just can't go out and play attractive and attacking football when you don't have a solid defence as a base and then you have primadonnas to manage - we've seen our players stop running when there are issues with the coach. So its only logical that Ange isn't rated for the EPL until he proves himself.

Don't get me wrong, I am here for the journey and expect a steep learning curve for ange. The management and advisors at the club should know better and give him reinforcements in defence early if they want to give him the best start possible.

I have nothing agaisnt the guy but he doesn't inspire confidence simply due to a lack of experience at a higher level. I mean you just can't go out and play attractive and attacking football when you don't have a solid defence as a base and then you have primadonnas to manage - we've seen our players stop running when there are issues with the coach. So its only logical that Ange isn't rated for the EPL until he proves himself.

Don't get me wrong, I am here for the journey and expect a steep learning curve for ange. The management and advisors at the club should know better and give him reinforcements in defence early if they want to give him the best start possible.
But he has won things everywhere he has been
And he has plenty of experience
He was coaching before most of our players were born

the fees the Saudi clubs are paying are just bonkers
They are cleaning up clubs FFP issues
Fabinho for £40m…

It is. Mainly players in their 30s though so not sure its a threat to the PL or CL

There's only a handful of idiots like Neves who are wasting their prime years

Back